Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Yes, this is terrible. I expected the same experience as the Echo.
The initiation noise on Sonos One ruins the Alexa experience. Echo is much better experience. #cutitoff
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I've asked already similar: "... is something blocking you to fix it?" Honestly, if this is the case, Sonos should communicate this.

No argument here.
Mmh. "how easily this could be fixed," that may well depend on Amazon, not Sonos.

I've asked already similar: "... is something blocking you to fix it?" Honestly, if this is the case, Sonos should communicate this. Due to the fact that they say literally almost nothing, Sonos angers us former loyal customers.

@Ryan S said, he's giving our complaints to the Sonos team. I believe him. But waiting too long for a solution makes long term loyal customers returning their products if possible and starting to advice against Sonos.

For sure: Sonos can not want this!

This thread is getting longer every day. Customers are signing up here just to file their disappointment...
Sonos: Are you listening?
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The Sonos One wake sound is the same one employed by Amazon's Echo devices, the only difference being that on those devices it is turned off by default. Of course, the fact that Sonos didn't choose the wake sound doesn't make it any less clunky or annoying, and like a great many others I am eager to have the option to disable this feature.

As to "how easily this could be fixed," that may well depend on Amazon, not Sonos. Amazon has very strict licensing agreements in effect for any device and/or application that uses Alexa technology. It has already been noted (see link below) that those agreements limit such things as only having "Alexa" as the wake word. Thus it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Amazon also mandates use of a wake sound if and/or when other notifications (such as a light) are deemed insufficiently prominent to notify users that Alexa is listening.

With that said, Sonos seems well aware that having the ability to disable the wake sound is perhaps the single most common request by Sonos One users, and it seems unlikely to me that Sonos "have no intention" of finding a solution that will satisfy both users and the Amazon Gods. For now, we can only keep asking .... :D

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-alternate-alexa-wake-word-change-6797113/index1.html#post16187737
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Add me as another voice wanting this stupid wake sound removing.

Have just deployed two play ones into the house and the wake tone is awful. It interrupt commands when you don't pause after saying the wake word and spoils the whole alexa experience.

Looking at how easily this could be fixed, and how long it's been going on for, I would agree with others that Sonos has no intention of changing this behaviour.

I was intent on using my existing 1's to form stereo pairs and more zones and replacing them with the new "ones" to expand Alexa control zones, but I certainly won't be doing that if this stupid wake sound persists. I'll buy more echo dots instead and second hand 1's off eBay.
OMG yes please make this happen. I just added the 2 for $349 Sonos One bundle to my home to complement my Playbar but I will be keeping Alexa mics muted until I can disable the chime. Like echo on a stadium loudspeaker, it’s disruptive to the person speaking. Just flash the LED if you insist on a cue (though that should also be user configurable). It’s easy to tell when Alexa doesn’t hear me...because nothing happens!
Please add the option to turn off the tone.
Oh wow... Still can't believe I just signed up to leave this comment!

I am following this thread for about a month now. I only kept the ONEs since I really believed something would change through an update.
Bought the ONEs right after christmas and I am out of the return period now. Speakers are unplugged and I am listening to my echo again.

The sound is so disruptive and defeats the purpose of these devices.

So very disappointed. I was a Sonos believer and preaching the advantages of Wifi-Speakers for years. At this point I can just warn my friends and colleagues to not make the same mistake...
Please, please, please add the ability to turn off the tone.
I'm on this too!
Love the sound of the Sonos One, but that chime has to go PDQ.
I am dismayed by this. I thought the whole point of Sonos was to create a platform that was responsive to its users. Our dog who had an electric collar hears the sound and panics that she will get shocked, even though she has no collar on. The sound makes her panic and we cant use the Sonos Ones despite having spent $600 on 3 of them. I am outside of the return period but I would love to return these because I have no confidence that Sonos is committed to addressing what should be simple customer concerns. I have built a large Sonos system and am really disappointed.
After using several echos for years I was surprised there was no way to disable the tone. It really interferes with the fluidity of making a request.

As others have stated, an independent Alexa voice volume would be great as well.
I doubt it. I suspect someone at Sonos feels very strongly about keeping the tone, otherwise this thread would provide ample evidence of how their customers are responding.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would assume at some point we will get a method to disable tone. Yea the tone comes in late when your already talking but Sonos One is great otherwise.
Long time Amazon Echo user. I just bought two Sonos One's. They're both being returned -- the tone is obnoxious and absolutely unnecessary. I've had no problem using Amazon Echo since the first release without a tone.

Aside from the tone being obnoxiously loud, the issue for those of us who are experienced with Alexa is that we dictate our commands without pausing between the wake word and the command: "Alexa turn on the bedroom lights". Right now, the tone interrupts my command and makes it so Alexa has a harder time hearing my command. That is completely unacceptable for an Alexa device, and I'm surprised this made it through QA; it makes saying commands quickly much more difficult.

I've been a long-time Sonos user (since their first device), but I gotta say I'm pretty darn disappointed with how Sonos has responded to this.
Badge
Another +1. Would be good to be able to use a light to determine when Alexa has started to listen. Currently, it wakes my house up when I speak to it at night time.

Another option would be able to have it and Alexa to be the same volume as the current/last played song.
Userlevel 2
I’m jumping on the pig-pile. Hate the response sound. Would like to disable or at least make it something appealing. The current sound is like my computer makes when I click something bad. Kerplunk. I’ll give it a while but if it doesn’t change, I’ll buy an alexa and use the Sonos speaker as just a speaker. Had high hopes...
Another vote for this. Drives me crazy and makes me want to unplug.
Adding another vote for this. Just sent up my Sonos one, love the speaker quality, but this sound is incredibly annoying and not useful at all.
That chime buzzer should at least be controllable not linked to the last volume setting of playing a song.
Wow, I wish I would have saw this two days ago before I ordered. After just receiving mine today and within 3 hours, this is a deal breaker. I was looking forward to creating a unified speaker eco system of about 6 speakers throughout my house with Sonos but that chime/buzzer is a deal breaker and stresses me out.

I will probably look at the Apple HomePod or even amazon new echo speaker which I hear has greatly improved the sound quality.

I would probably hold out and wait for sonos to resolve this as this should be an easy fix but seeing it unresolved for 2 month is not the customer service family I want to join.

Sorry and wish everyone the best of luck.

Ryan
Received my first two Sonos One's today (13 Sonos devices and 2 Dots in the house now). Add my vote; that Alexa tone on the One is annoying!
You got it all wrong Sonos, there should be a choice of visible or sound that can be set to customer requirements after the wake word and alternative wake words.
I have two expensive book ends, now moving onto better things and speakers through Dot controll.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yep, ability to turn off the chime (or alter the level of chime) and also independent volume for Alexa and Music.