Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

+1. Wanted to take advantage of the 2 for $349 deal but I can't buy any more until this is fixed. Alexa Calling would be nice too while you're at it but I'm sure Amazon is holding that feature hostage. Anyway, please give us the option to turn off the chime. Thanks.
I would also like to see the feature to turn off the chime. It feels like I am being interrupted by the speaker every time and is irritating to the degree that I am thinking about returning the Sonos One and get an Echo product instead.
Userlevel 1
Kudos to the dev team for fixing the mic sensitivity in the 8.2.3 update, but this issue is preventing me from replacing the rest of my echoes with One's, and from recommending the same to clients. Should be a really quick fix, please prioritize.
Just signed up to add my complaint. We don’t use Alexa much anymore because of this annoyance. I’m thinking of switching the Echo back. Did anyone use this in testing at Sonos? The first time anyone uses my speaker they don’t complete their question because it interrupts them. Even when you know it’s coming it’s distracting.

And her voice is way too loud. C’mon Sonos
Hi @Ryan S

I'm going to back up some of the other comments, this desperately needs a fix soon and I can see it has been an issue for some time.

I'm using my Sonos one in spite of the tone but frankly, had I known about it, I would have delayed my purchase. It really is that annoying!

And agree, separate volume control between Alexa and music is a must.

Thanks in advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing everyone! @curlyel, there isn't currently a change in status for the request that I can share. There's a lot that the team is working on but I can't speak to the tone specifically right now. We do make sure that the team knows how many people are asking for what features so they know which ones are the highest in demand.

I'll be sure to let you know when I hear anything new that can be shared.
@Ryan S:
You're getting one or two complaints per day asking for an option to disable the silly chime and to lower the Alexa volume. But: You (Sonos) has fallen silent on this. Why?

Is it to complicated for Sonos to do such a change on the firmware. Not really - right?
Is there something blocking you on just implementing that so-much requested option to satify our needs here?

My Sonos One is currently powered off. It's useless for the intended use case here: Chime is annoying - Alexa is way to loud.
Very disappointing.

Please give us some statement on this topic. Is there something happening behind the scenes?
Great product but please, please give us an option to get rid of the sound!
Userlevel 3
Just wanted to add another post agreeing with the OP. Would be lovely to have the option to disable the chime. It feels like my Sonos One is interrupting me while I try to talk to it.
Userlevel 1
Please add a disable chime option. Not only is it annoying, it gets in the way of the mics hearing the rest of the command. I never pause between speaking the wake word and the command when talking to echo or ghome devices. A "listening" chime isn't the standard for these devices, I don't see why it should be different on Sonos.

Also, it actually sounds like the chime that an echo makes when it fails to execute a command, so the instinctive reaction is that it's indicating failure.
Created an account so I could raise my hand here also. I do not like the tone at all. It makes me feel like I have to pause a second after saying Alexa. Annoying that it’s so much more fluid with the echo.
Just adding a voice saying I wont but the Sonos Ones until this is changed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
+1. Also the ability to fix the volume of her voice. I don't like her yelling at me if I ask a command while jamming out to music.
Userlevel 7
It appears many people don't like the audio tone given by the Sonos One with Alexa. There are threats not to buy another speaker or return the product. Here's the thing....if enough people complain Sonos will probably work to get the annoyance corrected. Not doing so will jeopardize sales.

That said...one of the Sonos staff said it may come in a later update. Until then assuming you want to keep the Sonos One (or you are pass the return date) until the update to remove the audio tone occurs you can integrate an Echo Dot and turn Alexa off on the Sonos One. If you already have an Echo Dot it's a no brainer; if not you have to consider the $50 USD to get one. Is it worth the trouble?

Remember, the Sonos One without Alexa activated is still a Sonos speaker. Alexa via an Echo Dot wherein you can turn off the tone may be a temp work-around. Just throwing this out for consideration. Cheers!
Just bought a pair of one's.
Please Please give me the option to turn the wake sound off. Surely a no brainer for your team.
Some people may like the sound so make it optional then everyone is happy !
+1 for ability to disable the wake word chime. Just added a Play One in bedroom to replace Echo and this chime renders the product unusable as the most major feature I used the Echo was as a voice controlled alarm clock.This disruptive tone will not be liveable so sadly think it will be going back... please sort it out Sonos. A long standing but now very disappointed Sonos owner.
I have a pair of Sonos One speakers set up in stereo mode in our family room plus another near the shower. The noise Alexa makes to indicate that she has heard us mention her name is driving my dog crazy. Can the sound be changed or completely turned off? (I hadn’t found THIS thread yet when I asked this question a few days ago on a newer thread).

So there are now several additional votes asking to remove the chime which is EXTREMELY irritating to animals and humans alike.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would put my vote in for ability to disable the chime (or even volume control it so it isn't so loud). Maybe blink the lights on top instead of make sound.
This chime is a deal killer for this product. Such a shame.
BUMP and agreed! Enhancement Request: Create Sonos setting to disable Alexa alert Tone for Sonos One.
And another vote... so irritating...
Second this. And third. And fourth. Lol. No need for the chime. Too loud. Very annoying. Gets in the way of functionality. Please give us the option to disable it. It can’t be that hard...
I am dismayed...my Sonos, although disabled from being an Alexa skill, keeps responding with this statement when I call Alex, "I am having trouble understanding you." It is driving my wife, who already doesn't like Alexa, crazy.
Agree to remove the tone. Makes the Alexa feature less efficient when you have to pause your command for the tone. This was not broke and did not need to be fixed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
On a similar vein (which is mentioned elsewhere, too), the Alexa voice screams at you when the volume is up. The volume of the voice is completely unnecessary.