Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Userlevel 4
I just set up a Sonos One with Alexa and the sound is noticeably better than the Amazon Echo. On the Sonos One though, each and every time I call "Alexa" it plays some kind of acknowledgement tone. When I call my Echo or Dot, thankfully there is no such tone. Is there anyway to disable it?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 29 January 2019, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
There isn't a status change on this one at this time. I can't say one way or the other if it'll happen, but I'll make sure to keep asking for you all. If there's any word to share I'll let you know.
I'm posting to agree with the others. I just set up my sonos one to add to my other Echo products. The tone is disruptive and annoying. The echo and google assistant don't make that sound and work fine for me.
Hugely irritating and unnecessary noise, likewise am considering returning my Sonos one for this single reason (oh and that Alexa can’t play tidal either and seems intent on selling me amazon subscriptions).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can always disable the skill on the other sonos speakers in your house so that only the ones you want voice control on duck in sound.

Sonos has said what they want is the ability to make a default speaker for each Echo unit so that only the default speaker ducks (and also then plays without having to say room name). We don't know where they are with Amazon in being able to do this - but that they have said is the plan in getting the ducking issue resolved.
Badge
Another one that get my vote
Userlevel 1
Ditto, really need this please, we have the Sonos one in the bedroom and voice control is really useful but we have a baby in with us and it disturbs him!
Userlevel 1
There isn't a status change on this one at this time. I can't say one way or the other if it'll happen, but I'll make sure to keep asking for you all. If there's any word to share I'll let you know.

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this 😞
Absolutely agree. It’s most annoying when it mistakenly hears the wake word (often with three screaming young children) and you aren’t even trying to speak to it. My wife thinks it just randomly beeps and it must be broken. Option to change please.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This really needs to be disabled. The tone is so loud it makes me think twice about using voice control. It’s actually laughable.
I was gifted a Sonos One in addition to an Echo already own. After being told the Sonos One would be a superior listening experience to the Echo, I had great hopes. The listening experience is superior until I make a request of Alexa at which point my music experience is interrupted with the activation tone. I was sure no manufacturer would make a speaker with software requiring a noise be interjected into the listening experience without an option to disable the tone, obviously I must be at fault for not finding the correct toggle. My search led me here.

Please create an option to disable the noisy tone. If, for some reason, I need a visual indicator, the One has lights on top. It really doesn’t need the audio redundancy.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes please, give us the option. I have had a one since day one but damn lately it’s becoming irritating!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this :(

There isn't an issue tracker, but if this becomes an option I'll make sure to post in this thread to let everyone know. You can subscribe to this thread for notification.
Userlevel 2
Badge
On a similar vein (which is mentioned elsewhere, too), the Alexa voice screams at you when the volume is up. The volume of the voice is completely unnecessary.
Agree to remove the tone. Makes the Alexa feature less efficient when you have to pause your command for the tone. This was not broke and did not need to be fixed.
I am dismayed...my Sonos, although disabled from being an Alexa skill, keeps responding with this statement when I call Alex, "I am having trouble understanding you." It is driving my wife, who already doesn't like Alexa, crazy.
Second this. And third. And fourth. Lol. No need for the chime. Too loud. Very annoying. Gets in the way of functionality. Please give us the option to disable it. It can’t be that hard...
And another vote... so irritating...
BUMP and agreed! Enhancement Request: Create Sonos setting to disable Alexa alert Tone for Sonos One.
This chime is a deal killer for this product. Such a shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would put my vote in for ability to disable the chime (or even volume control it so it isn't so loud). Maybe blink the lights on top instead of make sound.
I have a pair of Sonos One speakers set up in stereo mode in our family room plus another near the shower. The noise Alexa makes to indicate that she has heard us mention her name is driving my dog crazy. Can the sound be changed or completely turned off? (I hadn’t found THIS thread yet when I asked this question a few days ago on a newer thread).

So there are now several additional votes asking to remove the chime which is EXTREMELY irritating to animals and humans alike.
+1 for ability to disable the wake word chime. Just added a Play One in bedroom to replace Echo and this chime renders the product unusable as the most major feature I used the Echo was as a voice controlled alarm clock.This disruptive tone will not be liveable so sadly think it will be going back... please sort it out Sonos. A long standing but now very disappointed Sonos owner.
Just bought a pair of one's.
Please Please give me the option to turn the wake sound off. Surely a no brainer for your team.
Some people may like the sound so make it optional then everyone is happy !
Userlevel 7
It appears many people don't like the audio tone given by the Sonos One with Alexa. There are threats not to buy another speaker or return the product. Here's the thing....if enough people complain Sonos will probably work to get the annoyance corrected. Not doing so will jeopardize sales.

That said...one of the Sonos staff said it may come in a later update. Until then assuming you want to keep the Sonos One (or you are pass the return date) until the update to remove the audio tone occurs you can integrate an Echo Dot and turn Alexa off on the Sonos One. If you already have an Echo Dot it's a no brainer; if not you have to consider the $50 USD to get one. Is it worth the trouble?

Remember, the Sonos One without Alexa activated is still a Sonos speaker. Alexa via an Echo Dot wherein you can turn off the tone may be a temp work-around. Just throwing this out for consideration. Cheers!