Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Userlevel 4
I just set up a Sonos One with Alexa and the sound is noticeably better than the Amazon Echo. On the Sonos One though, each and every time I call "Alexa" it plays some kind of acknowledgement tone. When I call my Echo or Dot, thankfully there is no such tone. Is there anyway to disable it?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 29 January 2019, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
[

Your axe is down to a nub because of all your off-topic posts about the CR-100. No need to pimp your cause, lest those of us who originally had great sympathy start to lose it due to your annoyances.

Sorry! 😳
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Any further updates on this from Sonos or are the developers busy working on something else that they choose to prioritise over the single biggest complaint about the Sonos one?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I just picked up a Sonos One yesterday and wish I had known about this issue before I did. The BOOP is very annoying. I have the One in our ensuite and I am sure the BOOP would wake up my wife if I tried using Alexa in the morning. If the BOOP doesn't wake her, then Alexa's screaming voice, for which there is no volume control, would, but that's a separate issue.

Please fix this!
|
Badge +1
+1 ... Most irritating things for me ..wake sound and Alexa "ok" response .Please give us option to disable or lower volume ...anything.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
There is now a "Brief Mode" available that limits Alexa's response to commands to an innocuous chime, which varies slightly for command success or failure. If Amazon won't allow Sonos to remove the wake-up sound, at least they could allow it to be something similarly less loud, clunky and intrusive.
Userlevel 1
Seriously.... WTF SONOS
Userlevel 1
There is now a "Brief Mode" available that limits Alexa's response to commands to an innocuous chime, which varies slightly for command success or failure. If Amazon won't allow Sonos to remove the wake-up sound, at least they could allow it to be something similarly less loud, clunky and intrusive.

we do not know if Amazon limits Sonos here.

All we now is there is a stupid sound that needs to be removed ASAP

Like others said..... i still have 25 days to return the ONE to Bestbuy Will do so...and keep my 49$ DOT
Badge +1
This topic is 4 month old ,still no help from Sonos 😕 . I like Sonos sound , I was on the edge to order one more unit , but since Alexa integration is half baked i think i will stick with Bose -Echo bluetooth option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There have been no alexa updates yet since the initial roll out. I would assume at some point we are going to get an update to the alexa integration that will have a lot of changes (hopefully the ability to disable the tone being one of them).

I assume the way the partnership is with Amazon they can't just role out changes week to week.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Not entirely true. We do know that Amazon requires Alexa-enabled devices to provide notification when Alexa is listening. What we do not know, is what Amazon considers an adequate level or form of notification. It is also clear that the partnership between Sonos (and other manufacturers of Alexa-enabled devices) is not an equal one, with Amazon dictating what Sonos can and cannot do with Alexa. For example, up until recently, Amazon required that all Alexa-enabled devices only use "Alexa" as a wake word, just an example of how determined Amazon is to control its brand.

The wake-up sound on the Sonos One is the same one that Amazon uses on it's own Echo Devices, except that the sound on those devices is disabled by default. All any of us are asking is to have the same option on the Sonos One, because we all agree that the current sound is annoying, clunky and overkill for its intended purpose. (BTW, my previous comment notwithstanding, I doubt Sonos could use a different sound if it wanted to do so.)

Along the lines of what Chris has said, the way the partnership is with Amazon, Sonos can't make quick, unilateral changes. I'm optimistic enough to think a change to the wake sound is coming, but I don't know that it will happen as quickly as any of us would like.
Ever since the follow-up feature was added, the Sonos continues to beep after you give a command and it's listening for a follow-up. And the worst thing? The follow-up feature was automatically turned on and there's no way to turn it off for the Sonos! ARGH!!!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Follow-Up mode can be disabled for any individual device in the Alexa app under Settings. As there are two entries for each Sonos One, be sure to choose the Alexa device, not the speaker.
I looked under every single entry on the app and none of them had the option except for my Dots. But I was able to see the option when I went to the website. There are different options available on the website than on the app. But regardless, I was able to turn it off online. Thank God I will stop hearing those incessant beeps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Interesting. The option is definitely there in my app (on Android). Either way, I'm sure it's a relief have that turned off.
Userlevel 1

Not entirely true. We do know that Amazon requires Alexa-enabled devices to provide notification when Alexa is listening. What we do not know, is what Amazon considers an adequate level or form of notification. It is also clear that the partnership between Sonos (and other manufacturers of Alexa-enabled devices) is not an equal one, with Amazon dictating what Sonos can and cannot do with Alexa. For example, up until recently, Amazon required that all Alexa-enabled devices only use "Alexa" as a wake word, just an example of how determined Amazon is to control its brand.

The wake-up sound on the Sonos One is the same one that Amazon uses on it's own Echo Devices, except that the sound on those devices is disabled by default. All any of us are asking is to have the same option on the Sonos One, because we all agree that the current sound is annoying, clunky and overkill for its intended purpose. (BTW, my previous comment notwithstanding, I doubt Sonos could use a different sound if it wanted to do so.)

Along the lines of what Chris has said, the way the partnership is with Amazon, Sonos can't make quick, unilateral changes. I'm optimistic enough to think a change to the wake sound is coming, but I don't know that it will happen as quickly as any of us would like.

thanks for those informations !

So what it miss from The Alexa echos:

1. Room awareness ( ''Alexa light on'') .
2. Not beeping every time a say Alexa in whatever room.
3. Ability to completely disable that sound.
4. Boost Sonos mic sensitivity to make it equal to the dot.
5. Enable ducking on the one when i say Alexa and music is playing on ( do not know if it is just me but when i listen to music, the sonos one sound do not lower itseft like other Sonos speaker i have.) ( some people may want to disable ducking too.)
6. Ability to call the Alexa in Sonos one.

So ... just make it act as an original echo..
Totally agree with this, the sound is offputting when you’re thinking how to frame a question and also hinders Alexa
I fully agree with the comments regarding the response tone. It is most annoying, for all the reasons given by the responders to this topic. As my pair of Sonos one’s are placed high in the room, I am unable to see any of the LED’s on top. An option to switch the tone off would be fine but, in my case a modified tone, shorter, quieter, with attenuated lower frequencies, would be just fine. Tried a HomePod but, came back to two Sonos ones.
Badge +1
I strongly agree. I really want to turn off the acknowledgement tone!
Just bought the play one and that tone is immediately annoying enough for me to search on how to disable it. Please can we have an update Sonos?
Adding my name also to either change or mute/disable the incredibly annoying response chime. Hard to believe that the finished product went out like this!
Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud. There isn't a way to turn that off, but I'll pass on your request to the team for you.

Thanks for reaching out!

Please Please Please - give us a way to bring an end to the request sound ... there is absolutely no need for this - AND tell me how to disable Alexa altogether (I'll go back to using a dot for Alexa functions - Sonos One can be a speaker-only until you offer a fix). Honestly - - I've gone all-in with Alexa - but I CANNOT recommend the Sonos One until the user has control over this nuisance
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Unbelievable. 5 months.... unbelievable

* 30 years later *

Hey guys any updates on this suggestion that a huge amount of people wanted to happen to sonos one?
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable. 5 months.... unbelievable

* 30 years later *

Hey guys any updates on this suggestion that a huge amount of people wanted to happen to sonos one?

You're actually not far off there (in electronics/app terms, where most updates from other vendors come in days). I just posted this elsewhere, but it may help you to be aware too.. Sonos works very slowly. What would take other apps a week to push out an update takes many months, and there are rarely if ever any status updates. I don't know if they just have very small teams or it's due to having to do a lot of hardware testing, but I've learned to just check the forum when a new software update comes out. Don't check more than once a month. In the end, they usually create a good result, so I am begrudgingly patient.

Just an example. Casting directly from the Spotify app works awesome now. But it took maybe 2 years for it to be released from when Spotify put out the capability. Definitely more than 1.

The One will probably be even worse in this respect since Sonos isn't in control of the smart aspect; Amazon is.

I'm extremely impatient, but all I can say is be patient. There isn't really a better ecosystem out there if you value sound quality.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Interestingly, (well it seemed that way to me), those of us using an echo dot can already choose whether or not to have it make a sound after she hears her name and /or after you've finished speaking.
Userlevel 2
Interestingly, (well it seemed that way to me), those of us using an echo dot can already choose whether or not to have it make a sound after she hears her name and /or after you've finished speaking.

Yeah, same with Echo. But it's yet another Alexa capability missing from One.