Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Guess that answers the question tho. Will return, and revisit down the road. Maybe Google will be integrated then as well.

I plan to keep returning to this thread too, as the tone surely must drive everyone 'nuts'. It’s not the most endearing sound to listen to, day in, day out.
Badge
The team is definitely aware of this request and has been looking into it, but it's not quite at the "we're definitely doing this" stage. I don't have any specifics I can let you in on, but it hasn't been forgotten or disregarded. The development team is working on a lot of things at the moment. I'll let you know if there are any details I can share.

Anything new to share nearly half a year later, Ryan?

Heh. Smooth. Get an email saying my question has been answered linking to the year old post stacked at the top of this thread.

Guess that answers the question tho. Will return, and revisit down the road. Maybe Google will be integrated then as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
+1 on this, just got the beam and this is the first thing I want to change. 10 month old topic, not looking hopeful.
Badge
The team is definitely aware of this request and has been looking into it, but it's not quite at the "we're definitely doing this" stage. I don't have any specifics I can let you in on, but it hasn't been forgotten or disregarded. The development team is working on a lot of things at the moment. I'll let you know if there are any details I can share.

Anything new to share nearly half a year later, Ryan?
Badge
I read through this thread and thought it can’t be they bad can it?

Well yes. Yes it is. Especially when follow on is enabled and/or the volume was previously set high or is high.

I gave it a week and decided it’s not for me. Seeing this thread is over a year old with no action, it’s obvious Sonos ain’t going to change anything, so back they go.

Shame as if the alert could be disabled and maybe have an independent volume for Alexa these would have been great.

Echo dot + *insert other speakers here* here we come I guess.
I'm staggered that this is still unfixed. We've had Beam and a One for a day and already both of us have started to go crazy at what feels like an error tone. Horrible to the point where we're sending the One back.
This really should be fixed as a priority. Amazon has added brief AND whisper mode to all of their devices.
I am astonished that this has still not yet been solved.
The notification sound aka "Bong" after the word Alexa makes the integration with Amazon's Alexa system of very low use.

And beware if you havent already bought it - this unit will bong so loudly that it interferes with other Alexa devices from hearing. Also the loud noise makes it's use anywhere near bedrooms pointless.
All SONOS-Alexa products are affected.

I would like to suggest the following:
1. Everyone affected please reply.
2. Everyone who used Amazon to buy their SONOS goes and gives purchaser-confirmed 1-star rated feedback today on the Amazon website - and make it clear we are not sure whether it is SONOS just being ignorant with its community or whether Amazon is behind it.
3. If you bought it elsewhere still give feedback.
4. Also spread the feedback onto the new Bar product.

Fix this SONOS please - I have loads of your products - they are great - but this one was expensive and your reputation with me is in ruins.
+ 1, My shiny new Beam arrived on Saturday, I absolutely love the sound for music and movies, but the loud acknowledgement noise, and Alexa shouting 'PLAYING whatever' at me, currently make the voice control unusable.
Still deciding whether or not this is a deal breaker for me. Reading this thread and seeing how many months people have been begging for a fix is making me lean towards returning it rather than waiting for a fix that may or may not materialise...
I believe it’s called the 'notification tone' by Amazon .. I hate it too. Whilst ideally I would like it gone completely, I wouldn’t mind if I could change it to something like Alexa now uses for 'OK' when the Echo devices are set to 'brief mode'.

Give me 'anything' except the current (aggravating) tone that we have now. ???
Badge
+ 1, My shiny new Beam arrived on Saturday, I absolutely love the sound for music and movies, but the loud acknowledgement noise, and Alexa shouting 'PLAYING whatever' at me, currently make the voice control unusable.
Still deciding whether or not this is a deal breaker for me. Reading this thread and seeing how many months people have been begging for a fix is making me lean towards returning it rather than waiting for a fix that may or may not materialise...
Can’t believe they haven’t made this an option to turn off and replace with the power light flashing or something. Would be MUCH better. I dont say Alexa, then wait for the tone, then say something... i say it all in one go and I’m talking over the tone which is completely counterintuitive. The tone is also way louder than everything else. You have a problem here, that a lot of people are complaining about, that is connected to other issues (like alexas volume when speaking being too loud). Any chance of sorting it out Sonos? Update would be appreciated....
Come on Sonos, why aren't you listing to your customers feedback?
This has been an ongoing issue for 12 months at least and you've done nothing.
At least Amazon listened and removed the "OK" from the Echos.
Any business that doesn't react to feedback, especially from the very people that keep you in business, is never going to create lasting relationships and lose any potential repeat business.
Userlevel 1
Yessssssss!! Why hasn't this been done? I am returning both of my Sonos ones to Amazon this week because of this. I'll wait until they get this right (or someone else does - I notice a lot more choices are coming by this holiday season).
YES. The new whisper mode is further evidence of how important subtle voice command interaction are to Voice AI providers. Please have the developers prioritize this on their roadmap as this is clashing directly with this key feature. A quieter tone would immensely better. This should be an easy override in the app at least.
Do you mean the Sonos Controller app? You can't set Alexa preferences in the Sonos app, that's only possible within the Alexa app.
YES. The new whisper mode is further evidence of how important subtle voice command interaction are to Voice AI providers. Please have the developers prioritize this on their roadmap as this is clashing directly with this key feature. A quieter tone would immensely better. This should be an easy override in the app at least.
No 'notification' tone at all to the Alexa wake word, would be even better .. I hate the tone...

I love the new Alexa 'brief mode' and it works even better with the 'notification tone' turned off in each of the Amazon Echo devices 'Settings/Sounds'... I’ve switched all mine off.

Just wish I could do the same for each of my Sonos devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
The wake sound is definitely not a good companion to Alexa's new whisper mode. 😞
+1. It's all been said but still not addressed.
Also erm... reaching out to you. Love my new One - my first Sonos experience - and generally pleased with the Alexa function. However I also find the post-'Alexa' tone very irritating so really want the option to either turn off or reduce volume (without affecting voice volume).
PLEASE!

Yes, please! This noise is way too loud and either interrupts my speaking or interferes with Alexa being able to hear me. Very frustrating!
Long time Alexa user. Just “upgraded” to sonos one today within 10 minutes of finishing the setup I found myself on this page. Will be returning this unit to Best Buy as that stupid chime is annoying. Has sonos even Responded to this thread yet? Disappointing to say the least.
Agree. I had been waiting for Alexa integration to upgrade my surround sound (Beam + 1's). But the Alexa is so bad with the beep vs. the normal Echo's that I might have to return the system.
Tacking onto this. The beep is incredibly jarring and totally ruins the otherwise great experience that I’m sure y’all worked really hard on building
I Wish I had read this thread before buying my Sonos Ones. This unnecessary BEEP after saying Alexa is Bl*****y annoying and distracting. Come on Sonos. You have been promising us monthly updates so let’s get rid of this Noise in the next one and keep us happy customers.
Userlevel 1
Why the fridge magnet do you have to repeat everything i ask you to play. I'm not f...ing stupid. Just shut up and play my music....stop f....ing beeping at me.....BEEEEEEEEP
Userlevel 1
Alexa is playing on another device. Would you like it to play on this one instead? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!