Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Badge
Folks, got a definitive answer to the question concerning if they can do ANYTHING about the tone.
NO.

Source?

History?🆒
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Folks, got a definitive answer to the question concerning if they can do ANYTHING about the tone.
NO.

Source?
Please add me to the list.

Just bought a Beam and found this ridiculously long thread 10 mins later when I was trying to turn off the tone
Badge

NO

Disappointed. Being a programmer, especially so.
Badge
Earlier post indicated that the request would be taken back to developers and also there was reference to work being done on the matter. Since those posts, no further response concerning status. That's the "delay". You can feel free to word as you please if you believe it can help. Also, there was not a definitive, "We cannot do anything about it". That also would have helped conclude this matter.
Sonos please answer. Is there at least a timeline that can be presented please? At least present us the information concerning what the delay is resulting from.

What "delay" are you speaking about? Sonos has never presented a timeline for changing this functionality, nor have they ever stated it would be changed at all.
Badge
Sonos please answer. Is there at least a timeline that can be presented please? At least present us the information concerning what the delay is resulting from.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've only lived with the Sonos One for a little over a week, but - obvious as it may seem - the annoyance of this sound grows with our use of Alexa. We primarily listened to music at first; not that big of a deal. But then we started using it more to control lights and even play games. With those use cases (frequently with my kids), it's a dramatic rise of that intrusive sound, and becomes much more invasive. We just added a Dot in another room and wow - it honestly relaxes me to not hear it anymore! My challenge (likely shared by others here): Start using Alexa with Play:1 speakers only to find out many interactions with the Echo would not route to the Sonos (e.g. flash briefing, weather). So we purchased two Play One speakers to fix that problem, but which added this new one. My hope of an update to remove/change that sound are keeping me holding onto these speakers for now, at least until the return period ends. But based on a year of requests and nothing but "Amazon makes us do it", that hope is almost zero. I'm guessing the only solution is a redesigned speaker with an "Amazon approved" visual indication. Sad (and ironic) predicament for what is otherwise a beautiful sounding piece of technology.
I was looking at Soundbars and had decided on the Sonos Beam because whilst it met my sound requirements it also had Alexa integration and meant that I could move my Sonos Play 1 and Alexa Dot to another room. Final research made me find this topic and I now no longer want the Beam. What a shame to spoil a great product in this way.
Alexa through SonosOne seems to respond to "whisper mode" (https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/how-to-enable-whisper-mode-on-alexa/) - but it doesn't make any difference. When will this be supported? Thanks.
Badge
It's been over a year. It ain't getting fixed.

Mainly as Sonos don't think there is anything wrong, and I guess if Amazon are involved the more things that push users back to their own devices the better.

Once Amazon actually get a decent sounding device out there....well, it's going to be interesting.
Wo, I just bought 7 units of Sonos One for replacing all my alexa devices. After reading this, I am preparing the returns. Showstopper for me. The whole house is beeping with a loud ugly "alexa-ready" sound. Sorry, Sonos. NO WAY.
Userlevel 1
We can put a man on the moon but we can’t add a toggle switch to an app that makes a beeping noise not beep? I donno, I stopped reading the reasoning behind why you haven’t fixed this once I realized there is no possible nuance to adding this option.

At least add a simple slider to the app in it’s settings that allows adjustment of the ungodly level of volume that assaults my ears whenever I do something as simple as saying “Alexa.” And this is because of the lack of an indicator light evidentially? Personally I don’t need someone to yell in my face during my sentence to indicate that they’ve heard me say their name.

I can only howl tearful obscenities into the cold night for so long before I give in and Shot Put this speaker through my window on to the dewy grass that lay beneath, thereby muting the rival wails of any and all police sirens within an ear shot of it’s obnoxious cry of acknowledgement.

But seriously I literally can’t hear myself over that noise. I’m in total agreement with everyone else here - pls fix.
I just bought my first Sonos products (Beam + Sub). I have a lot of echo/smarthome devices, and went with the beam specifically for it's Alexa support. So far I'm very disappointed... This inability to disable the chime is just one of many issues I've discovered with the Beam compared to Amazon's echo devices. This should be a trivial fix, it's pretty sad when I google the issue the first hit is a 10 page long, year old forum thread of requests to enable this option.
Yes - please get rid of it. It even interferes with Alexa hearing commands in a different room. I got the ONE specifically because I could not put a DOT or echo in the bathroom.
Badge
Let me also ask for a solution to this issue. Correct me if wrong, but there is already an indicator other than the 'bong' after initiating the Alexa command. For my unit, I see the center light also change state. Also when processing the command, the light is blinking. Should be able to turn off the sound as an option. Also, when using a command to control a home smart device, there is a secondary, closing sound that also bongs. Can that possibly also have an option of sounding?

Thank you guys. Have to admit that the product is good but that little 'feature' really detracts greatly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Sonos One's have a light on the top that can vary in brightness and colour and this could be used as a visual indicator instead of the annoying bong.

The Sonos One's already have a light that flashes to indicate when Alexa is listening, so I'm not sure of your point here. The question remains, does Amazon view that light as an adequate indication that the unit is listening? Unlike the UE Blast, many users choose to mount Sonos speakers on the wall or on shelves at or above eye level, which means in many instances the light isn't clearly visible to the user. Amazon is well aware that the press is keen to jump on the slightest suggestion that Alexa is listening to all our terrible secrets without our knowledge, and may be cautious for that reason.

It's also possible that Sonos has just pushed this issue far down the list of concerns. Development does seem to have slowed to a snails pace in the last six months, something I think has disappointed a lot of owners.
It might be an Alexa noise, but Sonos can implement a visual indication instead of it. On the Alexa supporting UE Blast devices the power light indicates whether Alexa is listening. Sonos One's have a light on the top that can vary in brightness and colour and this could be used as a visual indicator instead of the annoying bong.

Fix this. Just fix it. Hundreds of messages asking for it, 5 minutes of a programmers time to fix.

As has been discussed here many, many times, the decision is probably not up to Sonos. Amazon chose that sound (it's off by default their devices) and most likely decides who has to use it and when. I suspect that the little light on Sonos One isn't sufficient to satisfy Amazon that users will know when the Sonos One is listening.

But yeah, I hate it too. :D
Personally I’m holding out for the long awaited Google Assistant integration then I can lose the bongs and Alexa altogether..... yeah I know......
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Fix this. Just fix it. Hundreds of messages asking for it, 5 minutes of a programmers time to fix.

As has been discussed here many, many times, the decision is probably not up to Sonos. Amazon chose that sound (it's off by default their devices) and most likely decides who has to use it and when. I suspect that the little light on Sonos One isn't sufficient to satisfy Amazon that users will know when the Sonos One is listening.

But yeah, I hate it too. 😃

STOP THE ALEXA BONG

#sonos #sonosone #stopthebong
Userlevel 1
Badge
Bing-bong, bing-bong! Who's the sound we hate to hear? Bing-bong, bing-bong! My Sonos One was cool until... BING-BONG, BING-BONG!

Poor little One - you will never be free of this, will you? I know, I know, big Amazon makes you do it. It's OK. I feel sorry for you, but I will likely return you. Your audible burps are destroying the peaceful soundscape you were bought to provide.
Another person adding to the request that this be sorted please Sonos. I just bought two new Ones. One for the kitchen and bedroom. I had an echo dot in the bedroom previously as my alarm, morning briefing etc. and a play 1 for music. I'm now reverting to the dot and switching off all voice in the One. The chime is the most annoying part but the dsmall led light is a pain too.
Userlevel 1
I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of annoyance at the bong....it actually stops alexa from hearing the command. Just bought the beam as well and am seriously disappointed to learn that this goes back to the Play Ones. It would take virtually no code to allow for this to be disabled. You don't even need to change your apps, how about a command we can speak like "alexa turn that damned noise off!" then push out a firmware update and you are done.
Badge

Guess that answers the question tho. Will return, and revisit down the road. Maybe Google will be integrated then as well.

It’s not the most endearing sound to listen to, day in, day out.

That's the thing for me, it's not only untoggleable (new word?), but it's basically an error message sound from Windows 98.