New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Interesting thought.

Some sort of "base station" for the headphones to connect to.

But if that's the case, I suspect the number of "but they support it for their headphones, why can't I use it for the speakers" post that we deal with to rise significantly.

Should be interesting, either way. I'm looking forward to it 🙂

It’s well beyond rumor at this point, photos and detailed specs, clearly leaked by Sonos, are everywhere.

I'm not convinced the images are real, for a couple different reasons. We've only seen 1 of the front and one of the back, and there are few details that don't look right to me. First it doesn't look like the typical press image Sonos would release, and it doesn't look like an unofficial photo. Second the RW-play/pause-FF are on top and pushed to the front of the speaker. Looking at Sonos One , Beam, and Amp, those same buttons are centered. And being centered makes sense since you need real estate for swiping.

Then there's the back image with buttons. Where's the handle? Why is the infiniti button flat while other speakers have a concave infiniti button? Why isn't there an LED on or near the power button to show that it's on. Why is there a button to switch between wif/bluetooth instead of a switch of some sort? Why no LED to show which mode you're currently in.

There's more issues I see, but you get the point.

And yes, the image is all over the place, but it seems to be coming from one source. Could be true. Could be an old prototype photo that someone assumed was the new product. Could be real, but maybe not.

If you have an indoor Sonos near your back yard, eg kitchen, maybe you'll get a signal. WiFi in my garden is poor but I can take a Play1 to the end of my garden as it uses the signal from the kitchen play5

Good point that Sonosnet might have range if you have nearby speakers. But not ideal if you don't have wifi to control them.
No way is Sonos going to cut into Ikea's market by offering a speaker with these extra features at the same price as the Ikea bookshelf. My guess is also $250.

Agreed. There's no room down there for another speaker. Not unless it's worse quality than ikea, and then I think you've got a crappy sounding product. And let's not forget this thing is loaded with features that you can't get on a typical bluetooth speaker.

I hope so. Would trueplay be useless for outdoors, I would assume it wouldn't help.

Yes. Look at the Sonance speakers. The two indoor versions can be trueplayed, but the outdoor is not. I suppose this auto tune could be different, but I really doubt it.

Another point about this is whethere auto trueplay will work in both wifi and bluetooth modes.

One of the great new features overlooked so far in this thread will be Auto Trueplay, which means the Android vs iPhone Trueplay tuning argument will now be moot. Hopefully, Auto Trueplay will be coming to existing Sonos speakers with microphone arrays, as well.

Was wondering about that too. Then comes the question of if a room with a beam and two play:1s, or a room with a playbar and 2 sonos ones, can be done.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Looks familiar....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bose-bluetooth-portable-smart-speaker/
Yea, if it’s strictly for press, there is likely an embargo on release until X date, so the folks who attend on day one can’t “scoop” the folks who have to wait for day 2.

We will need to exhibit patience....something I am not known for 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Looks familiar....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bose-bluetooth-portable-smart-speaker/

They should have wrapped some LEDs around the top so it can be used as a lantern.

Now all Sonos need to do is price the Move lower, not long to wait now!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Nevertheless Move has leaked several days ago 😉
If people are willing to buy Bose after they abandoned their entire multi-room music line after less than 5 years because they couldn't make it work with Alexa, then they get what they deserve.

Yea, I noticed that article said wifi, but mentioned nothing about multiroom audio. I checked a Verge article and it does state:

Bose is also promising some smart connectivity features with its app: using it, you’ll be able to link up a multiroom sound system with other Bose smart speakers. Later this year, the company is also promising an Ultimate Ears-style setup that will let users pair the Portable Home Speaker with older products like Micro, Color, Mini, and Revolve. Next year, it’ll offer stereo pairing for two Portable Home Speakers.

So it sounds like it will be multiroom, but not necessarily at release date?

As far as Sonos having to match price, not necessarily. All else being equal, that may be true, but they won't be equal. We don't yet know about build quality, battery life, sound quality, tuning, use case in multiroom, stereo pairing, and other features. I would say though that the competing products will likely prevent Bose/Sonos lovers from trying out the other brand.
https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-08/sonos-bluetooth/

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/8/9/20799127/sonos-connect-refresh-fcc-filing-speakers

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20799366/sonos-bluetooth-portable-speaker-model-s17
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Good point that Sonosnet might have range if you have nearby speakers. But not ideal if you don't have wifi to control them.

True, shame the CR200 is on its way out and they've removed Android's sonosnet ability.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Lots of retailers discounting the Play:1 today (UK), getting rid of stock ready for the voiceless Sonos One maybe 🕵️I'd be looking more for discounted Sonos Ones as an indicator of the pricepoint for the new speaker - discounted 1's are pretty common in fairness.

Yeah, over here they fluctuate, I got 2 Ones for £328 recently from an authorized seller, now back to £378.

I meant the rumoured SL though for the discounting of the play 1's
I am fascinated by the battery life, which leads me to think that the Sonos will be roughly equivalent, given that they're probably both using similar tech.

Not terribly aesthetically pleasing to me, with that handle, I think Sonos did the design better. But perhaps more mobile for those who want to grab and go to the beach? I don't know.

I suspect that for many it will boil down to which ecosystem means more to you. There are lots of BOSE lovers out there (and in fact, I'm very fond of their noise cancelling headphones, but not their speakers), all of which will probably be happy about this, and then there's us, who will buy in to the Sonos ecosystem, because it's better.

Puts me in mind of when we released EQII, just two weeks before World of Warcraft was released. We got a good share of the market, but nothing like Blizzard did. 🙂
Not terribly aesthetically pleasing to me, with that handle, I think Sonos did the design better. But perhaps more mobile for those who want to grab and go to the beach? I don't know.

Both can be picked up with one hand, however, you can't really carry anything else in that hand with Sonos. You certainly can't hold two of these in one hand. Since the Bose is strap, you can hold other items that also have a strap/ exterior handle, like a second speaker, beach bag, cooler, etc. Although the 'problem is easily solved for Sonos if it comes with a carrying case with a strap. Or if you put it in the beach bag.

My first thought when I saw the Bose was that if the power goes out, I might accidentally that up instead of a lantern. However, speakers that look like other objects seem to be popular these days.

Echo Dot/Google Mini - hockey puck
Google Home - air freshner
Sonos Lamp speaker - lamp

I was clearly complaining about what was being released as well.

Well, good for you! It's posters like you who make this place so special. 😊
Suppositions and rumours are different than the actual press release data. They could certainly be accurate, but we don't know yet if they are.

And posters like you who think the company can do no wrong will be what ultimately drives it out of business. So good for both of us I guess.

If you think I think the company can do no wrong, you haven't read my scathing reviews of their "home theater" products. In short: They are no use for an actual home theater, and only really useful as something better than the crappy tiny speakers in modern flat screens.

But don't let that stop you from painting with your rather big brush.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Removing the TOS optical port is a problem for me, I don't have a spare coax input so I'm staying with the Connect hooked to my AVR.

Even if they had to ditch the big TOS port they could have gone to a 3.5 mm Mini TOSLINK Optical port that takes up less room.

3.5 Pictures: https://smile.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-TOSLINK-Optical-Digital-Audio/dp/B00GZQWLF0/ref=sr_1_3
Yea, if it’s strictly for press, there is likely an embargo on release until X date, so the folks who attend on day one can’t “scoop” the folks who have to wait for day 2.

We will need to exhibit patience....something I am not known for ;)

Yeah, not so much as a tweet yet, so they've embargoed the press until the big reveal at IFA on September 4th and 5th.

Almost certain to be a new Connect, and the Move, but perhaps more.
What do you mean by TOS? Are you just shortening TOSLINK, or do you mean The Original Series (Star Trek), or The Old School, or something else?
It’s the “more” that intrigues me, perhaps because of all the leaks around the hardware. We haven’t heard anything around software. Possibly because there isn’t anything to leak, of course, but maybe there is!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is hard enough to remember that NYC is 5 hours behind the UK (and more for many others) without the possibility of an embargo meaning we have to wait another week.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Do you think a pair of the new speakers could be used as home cinema surrounds?
Do you think a pair of the new speakers could be used as home cinema surrounds?

Of course no one knows for sure yet. I can see it going both ways. On the one hand, every other sonos speaker, including the $100 bookshelf speakers, can be used as surrounds, so it seems like it's not something that would be difficult or costly for Sonos to implement.

On the other hand, it's a portable speaker, where as surround speakers aren't portable. If you set it up as a surround speaker, then want to move it to the backyard temporarily, then you'd either have to switch to bluetooth or remove it as a surround and set it up as it's own room/zone. Not idea. Then there's the factor that you need two like speakers for surround sound. Do you need two of these? If the cost of the speaker is $300 each, would it make more sense to just by 1 and a pair of play:1s? Can the portable speaker be stereo paired while in bluetooth mode? If so, will it require stereo pairing in wifi mode as well?

My guess is that you will be able to do this, but very few people will want to.
Sonos Move

Details here. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/8/18/20810817/sonos-move-bluetooth-speaker-leak