New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.
You’re right. I guess we’ll have to wait until September 24th to see whether Auto Trueplay will be added to the One and Beam.

i read somewhere this morning...not yet.

Not low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..

I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so will just point out the "F" is for "Fault".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Not low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so will just point out the "F" is for "Fault".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Doh! Thanks for the correction.
The new products are posted on the Sonos site now. Nothing on accessories, except for the SL...which is compatible with the Sonos One accessories.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Danny, no, not at all directed at you - just a result of Edward's edit.
Wouldn't take a genius who it was directed at as most of the threads they post in invariably descend to.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
3D model of Move next to Play:1

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sonos-move-speaker-6d2250687d7d4d5391f926a024a66bcb

Hopefully that smooth bit at the bottom houses a huge battery! I'd love to see it offer 15+ hours (Bose is 12)

If you zoom in on the lower bottom you can see this, looks to me to be a contact for the charging stand?

Danny, no, not at all directed at you - just a result of Edward's edit.
Wouldn't take a genius who it was directed at as most of the threads they post in invariably descend to.

I didn't take offense either way, just wanted to clarify that my guess wasn't based on anything concrete.

I'm aware of some of the posts that got removed, and how it got started.
Very early prototype of the Move?

https://capstone.engineering.ucsb.edu/projects/sonos-move

https://capstone.engineering.ucsb.edu/sites/capstone.engineering.ucsb.edu/files/projects/sonos_move_poster.pdf
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Oh, 42 mW bluetooth seems like news to me.

3D model of Move next to Play:1

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sonos-move-speaker-6d2250687d7d4d5391f926a024a66bcb
Hopefully that smooth bit at the bottom houses a huge battery! I'd love to see it offer 15+ hours (Bose is 12)

If you zoom in on the lower bottom you can see this, looks to me to be a contact for the charging stand?

Yea, I've seen that in all the leaked marketing images. I'm not aware of what that could be besides a charging contact.
If 'you' is me in this case, then I did absolutely no research in coming up with my guess. It is pure WAG. I really have no idea what power requirement we can expect from this, nor battery costs, or what final product cost Sonos is going to have. My thought was that 3 hrs would be ok, if it was feasible to get a typical portable battery charger. But that's only considering my theoretical use case.

Assuming the rumors are true about this product, I didn't see it coming. I don't know how well it's going to work in a back yard since most people don't have great wifi coverage out there. Maybe that's changed? I suspect most people will use it inside their home or in bluetooth mode most of the time. Another WAG perhaps.

What do we imagine this will cost? If we assume it is similar sound quality to a Sonos One, then it would likely be at least $200. But then you have auto tune, weatherized (to some extent), battery, and bluetooth. $300? Maybe it's slightly lower quality and placed at $250?

Personally, I don't know that I'm going to get one myself. A lot depends on whether it can be stereo paired, what the actual cost is and how it sounds. It doesn't fill much of a need for me personally.

It’s well beyond rumor at this point, photos and detailed specs, clearly leaked by Sonos, are everywhere.

When I take my Insignia smart speaker, via its convenient built in handle, to the back yard, I use Bluetooth from my phone, in 4G LTE mode, as WiFi is unavailable for the speaker or phone out there. Works nicely for up to the five hour limit of the speaker’s battery. A USB-C port, with a mega battery pack, would allow the Sonos to outlast your phone’s battery.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Lots of retailers discounting the Play:1 today (UK), getting rid of stock ready for the voiceless Sonos One maybe 🕵️
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

What do we imagine this will cost? If we assume it is similar sound quality to a Sonos One, then it would likely be at least $200. But then you have auto tune, weatherized (to some extent), battery, and bluetooth. $300? Maybe it's slightly lower quality and placed at $250?

I was thinking even lesser quality and cheaper than the One, £100-£130, with maybe a dock as optional extra.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Lots of retailers discounting the Play:1 today (UK), getting rid of stock ready for the voiceless Sonos One maybe 🕵️
I'd be looking more for discounted Sonos Ones as an indicator of the pricepoint for the new speaker - discounted 1's are pretty common in fairness.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Well that didn't take long.
What do you mean?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

When I take my Insignia smart speaker, via its convenient built in handle, to the back yard, I use Bluetooth from my phone, in 4G LTE mode, as WiFi is unavailable for the speaker or phone out there.

If you have an indoor Sonos near your back yard, eg kitchen, maybe you'll get a signal. WiFi in my garden is poor but I can take a Play1 to the end of my garden as it uses the signal from the kitchen play5
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

The One Gen 2 also has Bluetooth. It's only used for initial setup, I imagine any new device will be the same.

But those devices only has <1mW Bluetooth, meaning BLE? Can't find the fcc filing for gen2, only the other BT devices
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, agreed.
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's BLE, used merely for initial setup. As jgatie said.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
They seem to have filed two devices, https://fccid.io/SBVRM023 which explicitly states "With BLE"
Even though I personally have no use case for it, I understand that they finally made the move to include a Bluetooth speaker in their setup.

Any guesses to the S23 device? Connect upgrade? Can't imagine them having to go for an Amp gen 2 so soon... Also, it seems that my hopes for an upgrade to the Playbar will need to be moved to 2020 then. Still holding out for them realizing that DD 5.1 and optical are no longer the future of A/V audio.On an unrelated note, I am wondering when the first troll is going to wander over from the "On this iPhone" thread and suggest that Sonos is killing the on this iPhone feature to push this new Bluetooth speaker...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No the 30thb and still no news!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
One of the great new features overlooked so far in this thread will be Auto Trueplay, which means the Android vs iPhone Trueplay tuning argument will now be moot. Hopefully, Auto Trueplay will be coming to existing Sonos speakers with microphone arrays, as well.

I hope so. Would trueplay be useless for outdoors, I would assume it wouldn't help.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Any news? I haven’t heard anything so far