New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

You did more research than I did 🙂
And I, for one, would be most pleased to update my two PLAYBARs with newer hardware. Despite the fact that they still work perfectly, damn them. Maybe if Sonos releases something cool, they'll break for me, and give me an excuse to purchase new.
I don't think the B&O soundbar can be bonded with any other speaker to form a more traditional HT setup. Seems like it's Atmos in the sense that it can read the codec and do some magic to make it sound better?
That was what I was guessing at, but at the time I read it, I was too tired/lazy to go look it up. I'm not going to buy one, so it's just not that important to me, except as a nudge to Sonos to actually do it right at some point.

I don't consider Sonos to be a leader in tech. I consider them to do it for the masses, and do it well. Which satisfies my itch. I'm always interested in more, just not convinced it's in my pocketbook, or patience to deal with. For now, Sonos has my business, and gratitude for what they've done.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

I wasn't far off, I think I prefer Sonos Go to Sonos Move though 🤓

Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).

Ouch, I hope not!
I recently spent a week in the Pacific Northwest, in a small rental home. Would have loved to have a Sonos style speaker there. If it would have fit in my suitcase...unfortunately for this trip, it didn't, as I spent a week in SF prior to zipping up to Washington State. Just not enough space in the luggage I was using.

But that brings up a good use case, perhaps for third party creation? A travel sack, that protects the speaker in transit? I've taken PLAY:1s in luggage before, and tried to protect them by packing them in the middle of clothing, but that's a hit or miss solution, especially if the luggage gets "searched" by the local authorities (TSA, etc). No guaranty you have the time to repack safely. I would love some sort of shock absorption packing designed for such a device.
More rumors out there regarding the Sonos One SL, which will be an updated version of the Play:1, without microphones, but with Airplay. Hopefully will still be priced at $149, just between the IKEA and the One. Will no doubt be announced at Sonos' presser.

Is there a link for this rumor. I find this interesting, if I'm assuming it's true. That could imply several different things. It could mean that Sonos believes there is a big enough market of people who aren't interested in voice control. It could also mean that they are selling a lot of these as surround sound, where voice control can't be used (with the beam currently).

Maybe more interestingly, if the speaker is effectively a Sonos One sans mic, can be paired with a Sonos One w/mic? That would make sense if the speakers looked identical visually and had the same audio signature. There shouldn't be any issue with trueplay. It would also eliminate potential issues with having two different mics in the room (not that you can't turn a mic off if you wish).

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?I wasn't far off, I think I prefer Sonos Go to Sonos Move though 🤓

Both sound good to me. It's very minor but 'Move' gives the impression (to me anyway) that the speaker can move around with you. That being move around within your home or away...so it it emphasizes that the speaker is both wifi and and bluetooth. 'Go', on the other hand, gives the impression that you use it when you're on the go, away from your home only. Just wild speculation.

The other thing about 'Go', is that reminds me of 'Go Pro', which isn't doing to hot in the market these days.

Price wise - Play:3 (RIP) was about $299 and Play:5 is $499 …. so I'm thinking $399 on this one maybe up to $449 (JBL Boombox price point).Ouch, I hope not!

I hope not as well, but looking at the existing bluetooth market, it's entirely possible. There are plenty of existing products in this price range, and if the Sonos speaker matches in terms of sound quality, water resistance, and battery life, they would be more than justifed in that price point. Especially since they are adding wifi and tuning capabilities that other competitors don't have.
I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....
Badge
And I, for one, would be most pleased to update my two PLAYBARs with newer hardware. Despite the fact that they still work perfectly, damn them. Maybe if Sonos releases something cool, they'll break for me, and give me an excuse to purchase new.

I’m on the same boat. I can’t wait for a new playbar. I also have 2 playbars, but I would probably only replace my living room playbar with the new one, and move the old one to my bedroom. I’m bummed that they are probably not announcing a new playbar, as it is what I’ve been waiting for... I’ve thought about replacing the playbar for a playbase to gaine airplay, but most reports seem to point towards inferior sound from the playbar. I’ve only listened to the playbase once in a best buy (not the best conditions) and I was not impressed by the sound enough to replace my playbar.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/cr8hd2/picture_of_sonos_sl_leaks_rumored_to_be_a_micless/

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Lots of retailers discounting the Play:1 today (UK), getting rid of stock ready for the voiceless Sonos One maybe 🕵️I'd be looking more for discounted Sonos Ones as an indicator of the pricepoint for the new speaker - discounted 1's are pretty common in fairness.
Yeah, over here they fluctuate, I got 2 Ones for £328 recently from an authorized seller, now back to £378.

I meant the rumoured SL though for the discounting of the play 1's

There are also discounts on the Ones (Gen 2) in the UK - one retailer has £30 off as well as free Hue mini set. They do fluctuate, but this is quite a substantial discount. I'm hoping that the lack of discounts on the Connect does not mean that there is no new Connect, as that's what I hoping/waiting for.

But that brings up a good use case, perhaps for third party creation? A travel sack, that protects the speaker in transit? I've taken PLAY:1s in luggage before, and tried to protect them by packing them in the middle of clothing, but that's a hit or miss solution, especially if the luggage gets "searched" by the local authorities (TSA, etc). No guaranty you have the time to repack safely. I would love some sort of shock absorption packing designed for such a device.

I would think it wouldn't need much, but maybe a hard case will be an accessory. Or a soft case with extra padding...maybe a zipper pouch for a USB-C cable. Feels like this would be good for protecting your speaker as well as keeping your clothes clean, in the case of luggage. You know, if the speaker has a lot of outdoor duty in it's history.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/cr8hd2/picture_of_sonos_sl_leaks_rumored_to_be_a_micless/

Leaked via photoshop 😂

I'm sure there's a market for this if it's real, people buying 2 to pair together and people with no interest in voice control.
No arguments from me, unsurprisingly. :)

And I suppose it would make a difference if the handle is recessed, or proud of the back. I've not seen any pictures (and not really looked, either) to tell either way.

But I concur...I can't imagine that this is designed for permanent outside use. Just portable outside use.

We'll find out soon enough 🙂
There used to be a company that made things like this, and I'm struggling to remember their name. I agree, it wouldn't need to be much, but a slight amount of padding, and a good Nylon casing, with a nice zipper.

But I think we're getting outside of Sonos' area of expertise. And maybe I could make my own side business of this, and sell them here....and get banned from the forum :)

Edit: Just remembered the name....CaseLogic. Use to make CD cases, that I used extensively, amongst other things.
My guess:

Hardware
Sonos Move
New Connect
SL

Firmware
Auto Trueplay, for the Move and One, possibly the Beam
Thanks @chicks. I'm a little less inclined to believe reddit, but there is some logic to it. We shall see.
Plenty of logic for Sonos. If all but the top cover are identical between the One and SL, production costs should be lower vs Play:1; marketing confusion goes away; AirPlay support on both makes the Apple fanboys and fanzines very happy. Hopefully the One and SL will be pairable, as only one of a stereo pair needs the microphone array.
My guess:

Hardware
Sonos Move
New Connect
SL

Firmware
Auto Trueplay, for the Move and One, possibly the Beam

I would bet the Beam will have trueplay if the One does. It also has a mic and was made after the One after all. I suppose though that auto trueplay may not be ready for an HT setup, or maybe won't work unless all speakers in the room have a mic. Don't know.

Feels like the features on the Move are pretty well leaked. The Connect, if it exists, are a mystery. Airplay is a given, as well as all the features it currently has. Two new feature's I can image are a built in mic and/or HDMI-ARC functionality in various ways. Those things could make it a more compelling product, particularly for pro installers, but also perhaps less affordable. Since Connect is currently the cheapest way to bring in an analog audio source, affordability matters.

Oh, might also be cool if the Connect could receive bluetooth signals. I seriously doubt that though, since the Move is rumored to only receive bluetooth when not in wifi mode. Doesn't really matter though since you can use a bluetooth transceiver with it for cheap.
Plenty of logic for Sonos. If all but the top cover are identical between the One and SL, production costs should be lower vs Play:1

Possibly so. It would not be as cheap as not creating that version at all though. Hence why I think such a move would signify Sonos believes there is a strong market for it, vs just keeping the regular Sonos One.

; marketing confusion goes away;

It goes away by simply stopping production of play:1 too.

AirPlay support on both makes the Apple fanboys and fanzines very happy.

Does it? The Apple folks already have the Sonos One as an option.

Hopefully the One and SL will be pairable, as only one of a stereo pair needs the microphone array.

Yes, but that's not helpful to folks who already have a play:1. It helps new customers only.

Really, I think it all boils down to the question of whether there is a market for people who want Sonos One quality, but don't want mics, or believe that mics are worth the extra $50 (or whatever it ends up being). The rest of the reasons really wouldn't matter since this new SL won't do anything that the Sonos One doesn't already do.