New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Sonos Move

Details here. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/8/18/20810817/sonos-move-bluetooth-speaker-leak

Where's the handle? Is the thing at the bottom (base station) supposed to be a handle?

Also, kind of strange that the Sonia logo is tilted on it's side like that.

I do like the name.
I share your frustration, although I'm just an hour off of New York City 🙂
Finally, the change to the new name, Sonia. Or, maybe an autocorrect issue ;)

I think the Sonos logo, of that size, would look more odd on that device in the other orientation, but I suspect that’s a personal perspective. And given that it’s a portable speaker, it makes sense that they want to have more visible logo, so others can see who makes such an incredible speaker.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I'm not so excited about the new announcements.

Sonos Move is so far the really new product, with completely new usage field. This product was a missing in Sonos portfolio and it is a good adding.
But for a speaker with more or less the same speakers of a Sonos one, or a bit more, a price near to the Play:5 is too much.

Sonos One SL from a customer stand point, is a completely useless product. Simply replace the Play:1, using the Sonos ONE design, but with same feature of Play:1, except of the Apple Airplay 2. For 20 euros of difference between Normal and SL, I think the Sonos ONE is still the best choice, and this will kill the One SL I think.

From a Company stand point, it's simply the will to add volumes to the Sonos One case sub-supplier, by avoiding to mantain an obsolete production line that is the Play:1 line.

Sonos Port has good feature, but with 100 euros more compared to the connect, it's really difficult to judge.
Personally, I was thinking to buy a Connect to add a Turntable to my Sonos System, but still cannot decide between Connect and Play:5. The port has the line in option, but the price is similar to the Play:5, and with Play:5 I will have a really good speaker as added value, so for me is a KO for the Port.

In general, really disappointed to not have seen a Play:3 successor, neither a Playbar 2.0 with DTS and Atmos support. Even if the sound is so good on Playbar, and I have the full system, it is an Obsolete product. Beam is not an alternative due to different dimensions IMO.
Finally, the change to the new name, Sonia. Or, maybe an autocorrect issue ;)

Option 2.

I think the Sonos logo, of that size, would look more odd on that device in the other orientation, but I suspect that’s a personal perspective. And given that it’s a portable speaker, it makes sense that they want to have more visible logo, so others can see who makes such an incredible speaker.

Yea, it just seems like a departure for Sonos.

The handle is at the top of the indentation on the back. Click in the link to the German website that the Verge references, they have more/better pictures.

Ah. I see it now.

I'm not sure I like the look of this too much. I'd like something a little more rugged looking. But it absolutely does look like a sonos. Personal preference.

One thought about this. One hindrance to walk mounting a Sonia is the electrical wiring requirement. You either have to get an electrician to put in an outlet or have exposed wires. The Move though might be within code to wire behind the wall since it's usb. Or not even wire it at all since it's battery powered. Could be very interesting if it's sound quality and price are near the Sonos One.
I can see that perspective, to be sure.

But I guess I wonder how the fact that Sonos is adding both a battery, a charger for the battery, and a new bluetooth receiver to a basic Sonos One setup allows them to reduce the price. I'd think for the extra things being added, it might be slightly more expensive. Unless they're trying to be aggressive and have it as a "loss leader" to get people into the Sonos ecosystem, and expect that they'll expand with other speakers later.

I just don't know. I'm counting the days. Not sure if I'll see a post from Ryan first, or on one of the several news sites I frequent.
Also please don't announce with a 9 month lead time one can only take so much expectation in one year

The pattern seems to be that we'll see long lead times when the product or feature is in partnership with another company. We saw long leads with Alexa, Google Assistant, Sonance, and ikea. We see short leads when it's only Sonos that's involved. Sonos One, Beam, and Sonos Amp all were release in under 2 months from being announced IIRC.

Plus, Sonos will surely want to take advantage of the Christmas shopping season. I would guess we will see this by Oct 1. Maybe even Sept 1, since tariffs from China are set to rise Sept 1, and it would make sense to avoid that if they can.

But I guess I wonder how the fact that Sonos is adding both a battery, a charger for the battery, and a new bluetooth receiver to a basic Sonos One setup allows them to reduce the price. I'd think for the extra things being added, it might be slightly more expensive. Unless they're trying to be aggressive and have it as a "loss leader" to get people into the Sonos ecosystem, and expect that they'll expand with other speakers later.

I don't see Sonos putting out a bluetooth speaker that sounds like you're average $100 bluetooth speaker. For one thing, is there a point to putting in auto trueplay if the speaker itself isn't high quality? Besides that, Sonos surely wants "word of mouth" advertising boost from this. They want you to bring it to the beach and make everyone who walks by want to get one themselves.
I have the feeling you're responding on your phone....your typing skills seem to be different :)

But you raise a good point. We don't know specifically yet what the other end of the charging station wire looks like. I think we can assume it's a standard wall plug, rather than stripped wires that would need to be spliced in to wiring behind the wall surface. But then again, I can easily see cutting off the plug, and getting an electrician to do that.

But I suspect more people will just charge it overnight in their bedroom, pick it up and take it into the bath in the morning for use. At least for those where local codes don't allow wall plugs in the bath.

Frankly, if someone is willing to open the wall to get power from behind, they're just as good with a Sonos One, or a PLAY:5.

I'm not familiar enough with those areas to know if that's even allowed by the local codes. I suppose it must be, in some fashion, in order to get lights in the space. But I wonder if it extends to other things like electric razors, speakers, curling irons (I'm struggling to think of things that you plug in to the wall in your bathroom), oh, and electric toothbrushes.

It's going to be an interesting several weeks 🙂

The pattern seems to be that we'll see long lead times when the product or feature is in partnership with another company. We saw long leads with Alexa, Google Assistant, Sonance, and ikea. We see short leads when it's only Sonos that's involved. Sonos One, Beam, and Sonos Amp all were release in under 2 months from being announced IIRC.

Good observation. Apple Music and Spotify Connect were announced far ahead of time too.
I think it's very likely the charging base will require a standard USB-C wall wart. They are taking over the world now, pretty much, so will be very available. Sonos won't need to worry about sourcing and stocking a proprietary, low margin item.

Look at the first picture, the base is just an empty plastic ring, with no doubt a USB-C port on back, and a couple of fingers to connect to the speaker's charging connector. When travelling, just take the wall wart with you, and plug it into the speaker's USB-C port directly.
I'm not so excited about the new announcements.

Sonos Move is so far the really new product, with completely new usage field. This product was a missing in Sonos portfolio and it is a good adding.
But for a speaker with more or less the same speakers of a Sonos one, or a bit more, a price near to the Play:5 is too much.

I'm guessing that the sound quality is better than a One, closer to what I play:3 used to be. If it is, it feels like the price might not be too much. Still I think a lot of people would have gone for a pair of speakers with Sonos One quality at around $300 each, instead of one of this I think I would have.

Sonos One SL from a customer stand point, is a completely useless product. Simply replace the Play:1, using the Sonos ONE design, but with same feature of Play:1, except of the Apple Airplay 2. For 20 euros of difference between Normal and SL, I think the Sonos ONE is still the best choice, and this will kill the One SL I think.

Correct to an extent, however, if you're setting up surround speakers with a Beam, the mics are off, so why not save the $40? And some folks want to get a stereo pair, but only want one mic. And of course some folks don't want any always on mics in their home.

From a Company stand point, it's simply the will to add volumes to the Sonos One case sub-supplier, by avoiding to mantain an obsolete production line that is the Play:1 line.

I was surprised that the play:1 wasn't discontinued when the One came out. My guess is the play:1 was still selling well and they saw a need for an updated product.

Sonos Port has good feature, but with 100 euros more compared to the connect, it's really difficult to judge.
Personally, I was thinking to buy a Connect to add a Turntable to my Sonos System, but still cannot decide between Connect and Play:5. The port has the line in option, but the price is similar to the Play:5, and with Play:5 I will have a really good speaker as added value, so for me is a KO for the Port.

True, if you only want the input side of the Port, Play:5 is a better value if you can use the speaker. If you need the output, Port is your only choice.

In general, really disappointed to not have seen a Play:3 successor, neither a Playbar 2.0 with DTS and Atmos support. Even if the sound is so good on Playbar, and I have the full system, it is an Obsolete product. Beam is not an alternative due to different dimensions IMO.

I think the Move may kind of be the play:3 successor. Again, will need to listen. Agreed that the playbar needs an update, and the beam isn't a replacement. I feel I can be patient though, as I want a playbar 2.0 that won't be obsolete 2 years after release.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
A portable speaker would be great! Could maybe be used as wireless rear surrounds to playbar/beam too?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
One of the great new features overlooked so far in this thread will be Auto Trueplay, which means the Android vs iPhone Trueplay tuning argument will now be moot. Hopefully, Auto Trueplay will be coming to existing Sonos speakers with microphone arrays, as well.

Will Android users finally be able to Trueplay Tune their rooms?!

Find out on the next episode of Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I would agree if the device has all that we wish it to have with at least play 1: quality then it is not going to come in cheaper than a One and I cannot see it being poorer quality because that would wreck the IKEA market. I think that pricing would be ok, you have the lead in product with symonisk, 1 and One and here for (hopefully) not that much more than a One the portability with bluetooth for when away from your home network. Sounds like a win to me. I just need to start the softening process going 🙂
I have the feeling you're responding on your phone....your typing skills seem to be different :)

I was trying to use a fire tablet. Guess the auto-correct needs more practice.
But you raise a good point. We don't know specifically yet what the other end of the charging station wire looks like. I think we can assume it's a standard wall plug, rather than stripped wires that would need to be spliced in to wiring behind the wall surface. But then again, I can easily see cutting off the plug, and getting an electrician to do that.

I'm thinking the same as @chicks, I think. If it's powered with a standard USB-C wire with a separate wall plug, then it's 12V. Then I would think you'd be within code to wire it behind the wall. So it would plug to a wall, punch a small hole (or plate) in the wall nearby, and one where the speaker goes. Really, pretty similar to wiring with speaker wire. You won't need an electrician.

But I suspect more people will just charge it overnight in their bedroom, pick it up and take it into the bath in the morning for use. At least for those where local codes don't allow wall plugs in the bath.

For where ever code won't allow, or it just makes more sense, agreed.

Frankly, if someone is willing to open the wall to get power from behind, they're just as good with a Sonos One, or a PLAY:5.

Perhaps it depends on the person. I have little qualms about getting in the wall for low voltage, but 110V is not something I'm that comfortable with.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks Chicks, The pictures look impressive to me. I wonder if standard USB C charging will be sufficient or will the Move require the higher power outputs now available in the USB specification, i.e can use my phone charger as a back up or will we need to buy an additional backup charger?
I don't think any of us know at this point...but I'd have to wonder how long the "battery" would last.

I've never had any trouble finding power for my my PLAY:1s. I'm just delighted not to have to run speaker cables around the whole room.

We'll probably get an announcement from Sonos in the "Announcements" area shortly after the press conference.
Interestingly, the picture I saw on The Verge's website implies that the device is in either Sonos mode, or Bluetooth mode. I would infer from that concept that you're not going to be able to "group" other speakers with the Bluetooth input....it will act just like any other Bluetooth speaker, and not provide a new input to the Sonos ecosystem.

Just a guess at this point, though.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-portable-speaker-release-date-rumors-and-everything-we-know-so-far

Estimate £200, hope so!
If it works as line in does, it could receive in BT mode and still send the music to other Sonos speakers grouped with it.
Another guess.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sonos-portable-speaker-release-date-rumors-and-everything-we-know-so-far
Estimate £200, hope so!

I really doubt it. The article gave little justification for that estimate other than stating the Sonos One was released at $179....which is incorrect. It was released at $199, the current price. But even going on the $20 increase theory, making it $220. That would mean your getting the battery, bluetooth capability, and waterproofing for $20. That's seems too much to believe. Or you're getting these benefits while the Move is inferior to the Sonos One in some way(s), like sound quality, multroom usage flexiblity, or voice assistant quality? I don't like the sound of that. Maybe Sonos drops the prices of all 3 products in that range (play:1, Sonos One, and Move), but that seems too good to be true and would hurt the ikea speaker sales. We shall see.

Hopefully, we hear something later today, and not at the next event.
The “button” on the back leads me to think that it won’t. Otherwise, why have the button?
i.e if it acts the same as AirPlay 2, what would be the purpose of a physical button? Wouldn’t it just be something in software?

I don’t know 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Has there been any intel on the S23, or is everyone just gaga for the Move? I’m more interested in a Connect replacement, since I have a ZP80 and a ZP100 that may or may not be DOA’d by “mandatory update” in the near future.
Heh. I should think things out more. Maybe it’s due to the fact that there’s an energy cost of searching for a WiFi signal? By switching it to Bluetooth mode, you’d be turning on the Bluetooth receiver, and powering off the search for a WiFi signal, which would suggest it can’t be used to “group” with other Sonos devices in that mode....so maybe in Bluetooth mode, it can’t be in stereo, just in mono?

How many days do we have left to speculate, and argue? 😉