New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

I believe USB-C can source 100W at 20V, more than enough for a speaker with highly efficient Class-D amplifiers.
The Verge has always been a pretty reliable source on new Sonos products. They updated their article with some interesting additional points.

• When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker cannot be controlled with the Sonos app. It behaves like any other Bluetooth speaker. You pair a device and play.
  • In regular Wi-Fi mode, the speaker appears like any other Sonos device in the app — but with a battery indicator.

• When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker cannot be controlled with the Sonos app. It behaves like any other Bluetooth speaker. You pair a device and play.

But if the target speaker has been grouped with other Sonos speakers, won't all play? In Line In also the speaker can't be controlled via the Sonos app, but does this.
Idle speculation, time will tell.
I read it as 'either this or that' and this seems to be the most logical and cost effective way to implement.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
But I guess I wonder how the fact that Sonos is adding both a battery, a charger for the battery, and a new bluetooth receiver to a basic Sonos One setup allows them to reduce the price. I'd think for the extra things being added, it might be slightly more expensive.

Maybe reduce the Sonos One RRP to £179 and price this at £199? Maybe offer the base charger (if exists) as an optional extra, leaving a basic USB-C cable to charge out of the box to keep the cost down?
Tenterhooks are killing me. Damn tenters!
Yea, based on that, I don't see Bluetooth as an input to the Sonos ecosystem, just a way to use the Sonos speaker as a standalone speaker outside of your local LAN. So you can have the quality of the speaker at the beach, but no "multi-room" functionality. If it was meant to be part of the Sonos ecosystem, you'd have the input and control in the Sonos controller as part of the software. I think.

But yes, idle speculation at this point 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I think you are right Chicks I guess what I was wondering was whether my phone charger at 5v and 1A or tablet at 5v and 2A will be sufficient to power / charge at a decent rate cutting down the need to take multiple chargers away. Only minor and answer day on the 27th is getting close
Which makes sense, actually (to me...). Without wifi available, how would your controller connect to the system? How would speaker 1 communicate R/L data to speaker 2, or speakers 3, 4 and 5? Aren't these the reasons why Bluetooth has never been a multi-room streaming solution anyway?

I'll be fascinated to see how much battery time there is available...and if it's a replaceable battery. Interesting that you can recharge it (apparently) with USB-C, which already exists as a cable in my car 🙂

But I guess I wonder how the fact that Sonos is adding both a battery, a charger for the battery, and a new bluetooth receiver to a basic Sonos One setup allows them to reduce the price. I'd think for the extra things being added, it might be slightly more expensive.Maybe reduce the Sonos One RRP to £179 and price this at £199? Maybe offer the base charger (if exists) as an optional extra, leaving a basic USB-C cable to charge out of the box to keep the cost down?

I can’t see the price being that cheap, when you compare things to the likes of Apple, who charge $999.00 for their Pro Display Monitor “stand”. You are living in the past... ha ha 🙂
I think you are right Chicks I guess what I was wondering was whether my phone charger at 5v and 1A or tablet at 5v and 2A will be sufficient to power / charge at a decent rate cutting down the need to take multiple chargers away. Only minor and answer day on the 27th is getting close

No, I don't think your phone charger will work...but I do think you'll be able to use the same charger for both your phone, depending on the model of phone. I did a little looking around (so someone needs to correct me where I'm wrong), but it does look like USB-C can handle up to 20V and 5 A (100W), but can also operate at 5V, 9V, 12V, and 15V...all at 3A? I think there then would be communication between the wall plug and device to specify what's the proper voltage/amp to send without damaging equipment? Assuming that's the case, it seems you'd have to very careful with the wire and plug's you used to make sure everything is compliant.

I would not be surprised though if you could use a 5V charger with the Sonos Move, but it would not be enough juice to operate it, just a very slow charge of the battery.

To be clear, I'm speculating on this, don't know for sure and am not an electrical expert. I'm just seeing products like this one linked below and assuming the Move will operate like a macbook.
Tenterhooks are killing me. Damn tenters!

I'm feeling a bit patient about it. At least on the Move, I think we know most everything already, and after the official announcement, it's likely to be another month or so before it can be ordered. The other rumored products, that we know less about, probably won't interest me as much, unless I'm way off on funcitionality.

I was much more eager for the Beam as I knew very little about it.
With the Bozo equivalent product priced at $349, I wouldn't remotely count on the Move being $200.

But I guess I wonder how the fact that Sonos is adding both a battery, a charger for the battery, and a new bluetooth receiver to a basic Sonos One setup allows them to reduce the price. I'd think for the extra things being added, it might be slightly more expensive.Maybe reduce the Sonos One RRP to £179 and price this at £199? Maybe offer the base charger (if exists) as an optional extra, leaving a basic USB-C cable to charge out of the box to keep the cost down?

I don't think Sonos needs to do this. i get that you personally might now want to pay 250, but I believe plenty of people will. If you go look at existing bluetooth speakers, there are plenty of speakers in that range. I would bet the sound quality is on par with these others, plus the additional features.

And again, that puts pressure on the ikea market a bit. The lamp is priced at 180.

If this new speaker is the first speaker that someone gets from Sonos, what aspect of it is going to prompt them to buy more speakers? I think sound quality has to be up there. If this is the only sonos speaker I own, I'm not sure I'd even take it out of bluetooth mode until I get a second sonos. If you're an existing customer interested in expanding your system, what is it that you want? Sound quality
Looking forward to these. I was about to buy a second One to make a Stereo pair in my Garage. A pair of portables would be better..

This was my thinking as well. I currently have a connect:amp powering two cheap ceiling speakers in there, but 2 of these mounted on the back wall sounds like a nice upgrade. Especially if there's a mount that makes it look like it belongs in a garage. For the times when I want to throw it in the truck to go to the beach or something, they're right there, all charged up and ready to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you're an existing customer interested in expanding your system, what is it that you want? Sound quality

Sound quality and portability. I travel and the Sonos portable would be the first thing in my case, several times ive been tempted to get a BT speaker but a decent on is in the £100s and would get used when travelling and never at home.

The Sonos, when at home, can be used when we are in the Garden and have friends round. Could even hide them under bushes etc. So killing two.......
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'll be amazed if it's too far from £200 (even if One is reduced to 'accommodate' - like with its own release and the new pricing of the 1)..
Max of £249 I'd expect..
I'd assume the chassis for the S23 would mimic the new Sonos Amp, much like the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP had the same form factor.

I'd be fascinated if it included an HDMI pass through of any kind, that would be a substantial change in the world of Sonos. I can't conceive that it will operate as a 5.1 decoder like the Sonos playbars and the Amp can, since Sonos still doesn't allow separate speakers. But would love to be wrong on that, and would actually cause me to buy several PLAY:5s to replace my PLAYBARs. 🙂

Sound quality and portability. I travel and the Sonos portable would be the first thing in my case, several times ive been tempted to get a BT speaker but a decent on is in the £100s and would get used when travelling and never at home.

True. I have one that's probably about 6 years old now, and only gets used when traveling or trips to the beach/park/etc. I wonder if Sonos considered how well the speaker would fit in airplane carry on luggage when designing this.

The Sonos, when at home, can be used when we are in the Garden and have friends round. Could even hide them under bushes etc. So killing two.......

This is where I see bluetooth speakers used the most. On the backyard deck or out on the front driveway.
It's actually the potential for software changes that has me on edge. If there are any.

I noted that B&O came out with an announcement yesterday on a new soundbar, as a pre-IFA thing.
It’s the “more” that intrigues me ...

With all that talk about a new Connect and/or Playbar update in this thread I may be missing something here but why are people speculating about particularly more than two new devices to be announced when there are only two new filings listed at the FCC?

There's the Move and then there's the SL. Was there an additional filing which I overlooked by any chance?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I noted that B&O came out with an announcement yesterday on a new soundbar, as a pre-IFA thing.

Been seeing that float around.

Chromecast and Airplay 2 support, "Dolby Atmos", and apparently it's 550W

All for the price of $1,750

But damn if it doesn't look slick.

It’s the “more” that intrigues me ...With all that talk about a new Connect and/or Playbar update in this thread I may be missing something here but why are people speculating about particularly more than two new devices to be announced when there are only two new filings listed at the FCC?

There's the Move and then there's the SL. Was there an additional filing which I overlooked by any chance?

Chicks had links to 'original' discover of the FCC listings here. There were actually referring to the Move and what was thought of as the Connect replacement. The SL, to me anyway, has a lot more doubt to the rumor.

I didn't go back and read the whole thread, but I think talk about other devices is more about guessing what would be next...some day. If the play:1 and Connect are actually replaced, I think that means the playbar is the only currently sold playbar that doesn't have the hardware to support airplay.
Curious to know how the speaker can be used in wifi mode. Can you use it as surround speaker, stereo pair, with a sub? in bluetooth mode, can you stereo pair it?

It may sound kind of strange, but I'm home there's a way to wall mount the thing as well. I just seeing this being more useful you can mount on a wall while charging and just grab and go when you know you're going to want a bluetooth speaker outside or something. Also, I just imagine it will look better on a wall for some reason.
More rumors out there regarding the Sonos One SL, which will be an updated version of the Play:1, without microphones, but with Airplay. Hopefully will still be priced at $149, just between the IKEA and the One. Will no doubt be announced at Sonos' presser.