New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Now, headphones would be a real plus!
At some point, I moved from Case Logic, except for their CD sleeves, and started getting Tamrac cases, mostly as they were more focused on my photography needs. But it’s those kind of cases that would be ideal for a travel bag for this upcoming speaker. Enough, but not too much padding, a good water resistant outer layer, and a functional zipper. Shoot, depending on the size of the device, you could even put endpoints on the case so it could be slung with a strap over the shoulder.

playbar, it could use an upgrade for sure, but it feels like it should get more than just colors, hdmi-arc, airplay, and voice control...if atmos or some other advancement is in the near future. I'd say the playbar needs more than just getting the bar up to date, it needs new features.We all know that's not gonna happen, but that was said 12 months ago about a wireless speaker so who knows.

Several months ago, it was leaked that Sonos had sent out customer questionnaire's, under NDA, whether or not they would be interested in atmos. That's not a definitive yes, but certainly not a no either.

I think maybe one could make the argument that Sonos is patient. They don't want to release a product before the technology is ready and then have to put out another product.Going with this theory, it makes sense that they waited to produce a portable speaker until they could 'do it right'. They wanted battery tech to advance enough, they want USB-C cables to establish to transfer enough power, and they wanted bluetooth specs to improve in sound quality. Likewise, you could argue that Sonos wants/wanted to be patient with the playbar till they could do a sound system they felt was good enough. But I speculate.

Maybe the Sonos Move is the first step to creating a Damson wireless home cinema competitor?
https://www.damsonglobal.com/homecinemav2

I've heard of that product before. Looks interesting. No wifi, all bluetooth. I don't know if Sonos really looks at them as competition just yet, since they don't seem to be well known, and have a very different price range. I have no idea what these speakers sound like, so can't comment on that. And I'd say it's very, very unlikely Sonos is going to start doing HT with bluetooth instead of wifi. None of their existing speakers would be compatible with the system, and the HT stream wouldn't be shareable with the rest of the speakers in your home. Maybe some sort of hybrid between 5G and bluetooth is possible, but I doubt it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Nice find.

Credit to /r/Sonos

Good assessment of the Port. Looking forward to the official release, though it is looking like my wallet is safe.
Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.

It could be inaccurate. Entirely possible that they mistakenly put the Move price on the Port. That said though, I agree that technical aspect of what you get with the Connect or Port seems overpriced. I've always thought that it was priced as such more because it opens up the Sonos system so much and a lower price would have a negative impact on sales of other products. Still, it feels like the current product feels like you could lower the price to $300 or $250 and not impact other product sales much.

And assuming the price of the Move is correct at $400...that's more than I hoped for. Getting a pair at $800 is very costly. I want one (or two) but it's no longer an easy decision for me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm going to guess it will go about 3 hours. Although battery life is important, I don't think Sonos will want to limit sound quality in order to get longer life. I also don't think it's as important since USB power sources are pretty easy to get these days.

I'd expect much more, no doubt it's taller than the One to fit in a big battery. The Squeezebox Radio was only 2000 mAh 10 years back, Anker battery packs are ~ 20000 mAh nowadays and fairly compact.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Nice find.
Credit to /r/Sonos

Good assessment of the Port. Looking forward to the official release, though it is looking like my wallet is safe.

Yup. Price went the wrong direction for what the Connect/Port do, losing the optical makes it a non-starter for the only room I'd use it for. Disappointing upgrade, except for maybe Airplay and the trigger.
I suspect it’ll be similar to this discontinued Insignia portable smart speaker, which has a five hour battery life. I use one in the bathroom, where the better SQ of a Sonos won’t really matter. The constant time and temperature display mean it definitely won’t be replaced by a Sonos anytime soon.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-CSPGASP2/5865906
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I think the price will be right and is made much more out of touch by the functionality even the likes of Chromecast can provide..
Or one for the S17, and one for the S23? Does seem odd, why two days? More press across a longer time period?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.It could be inaccurate. Entirely possible that they mistakenly put the Move price on the Port. That said though, I agree that technical aspect of what you get with the Connect or Port seems overpriced. I've always thought that it was priced as such more because it opens up the Sonos system so much and a lower price would have a negative impact on sales of other products. Still, it feels like the current product feels like you could lower the price to $300 or $250 and not impact other product sales much.

And assuming the price of the Move is correct at $400...that's more than I hoped for. Getting a pair at $800 is very costly. I want one (or two) but it's no longer an easy decision for me.

Google Ad link to Sonos.com is now live, and the price is accurate.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I suspect it’ll be similar to this discontinued Insignia portable smart speaker, which has a five hour battery life. I use one in the bathroom, where the better SQ of a Sonos won’t really matter. The constant time and temperature display mean it definitely won’t be replaced by a Sonos anytime soon.

Never thought of having one in the bathroom! I guess you can have plug sockets in the bathroom in the US with it being lower voltage? Here in the UK we can't so a battery powered Sonos speaker would be ideal
I thought this event was also a shareholder's conference of sorts? I was thinking there would be a new product press event, a public shareholder's event, and maybe a private shareholder/board member meeting or two. So I'm thinking will hear about the two new products, get some hints at future products/directions, as well as numbers on the companies numbers since going public and projections.

Nice find.
Credit to /r/Sonos

Yup. Price went the wrong direction for what the Connect/Port do, losing the optical makes it a non-starter for the only room I'd use it for. Disappointing upgrade, except for maybe Airplay and the trigger.

I imagine when the official announcement on the board, we'll get a statement or two of why optical was removed. Overall, I just don't see a lot of reason to upgrade from Connect to this. Yes, it looks nicer so that's a reason. Airplay alone isn't a reason since you can get an ikea bookshelf to do that for $100. The 12V trigger? Perhaps. I see this mostly being used by pro installers.

I think the price will be right and is made much more out of touch by the functionality even the likes of Chromecast can provide..

Chromecast audio? I thought that was discontinued. I'm not that knowledgeable of what Chromcast (full version) can do as far multiroom audio functionality. Is it really comparable?

Never thought of having one in the bathroom! I guess you can have plug sockets in the bathroom in the US with it being lower voltage? Here in the UK we can't so a battery powered Sonos speaker would be ideal

No, low voltage (120 will still kill you), it's the fact that US code requires any outlet in the presence of water be GFI (Ground Field Interrupt) equipped, essentially giving it its own quick trip circuit breaker..

Google Ad link to Sonos.com is now live, and the price is accurate.

Tech media outlets are starting to post their articles as well.
The new Sonos One SL is a Sonos One without the mics, priced at $180. What this brings that the Play:1 does not?

Improved looks
The more modern button controls you see on current Sonos products
improved hardware (I assume. Would be silly for them not to reuse the Sonos One hardware where it applies)
airplay compatible (I think)
Can be paired with a Sonos One with mic.

That last one may be the big feature for most. However, since the SL is only a $20 discount, not sure many won't just get the full One in case they ever want voice control.
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/9/5/20849821/sonos-one-sl-port-price-specs-features-announcement
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
A 20000mAh battery is not that big or heavy and don't think just 3h would satisfy many of the use cases I'd envision. I don't have a clue when you did your battery quote but don't think actual battery tech has come on a huge amount for a fair few years actually - but more and more people are using portable packs. I also imagine Sonos not to use any of the really new battery tech anyway, just whatever does the job for a price. USB C on the other hand I imagine to be a key enabler for this device.
Here's an article on the Move.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/05/sonos-finally-gets-portable/
That would certainly be contrary to the “press only” part of the original reporting.

New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.

You’re right. I guess we’ll have to wait until September 24th to see whether Auto Trueplay will be added to the One and Beam.
Spence interview

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/9/5/20849503/patrick-spence-sonos-move-apple-siri-bluetooth-podcast-vergecast-interview
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Move, for me....
Considerably more than I was expecting but looks a great product, although not one I can see me buying any time soon sadly - despite really looking forward to it
Quite big to move or pack in a suitcase and for that price, at home, I'll just keep using my Play 5 on a long power cable.
A cheaper, Play One sized speaker would have been more what I was looking for.
From a Verge article on the Move...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20847533/sonos-move-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-price-specs-features.

The Move likely won’t be the last or only Sonos speaker with Bluetooth or portable features, either. It’s just the first.

That's definitely news. The article mentions a few other things I hadn't heard before, but that's the biggest.