New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Oh, 42 mW bluetooth seems like news to me.

The One Gen 2 also has Bluetooth. It's only used for initial setup, I imagine any new device will be the same.

Lots of retailers discounting the Play:1 today (UK), getting rid of stock ready for the voiceless Sonos One maybe 🕵️I'd be looking more for discounted Sonos Ones as an indicator of the pricepoint for the new speaker - discounted 1's are pretty common in fairness.

I think @dave77 was referring to the rumored SL product, which is basically a Sonos One without any voice control. It makes sense that retailers would be dumping the play:1s, assuming the SL is real and going to be priced at $150.

Agreed though that a discounted Sonos One would be a possible indicator that a Sonos Move will be priced in the low 200s. If the Move is 250 or more though, I don't see any need to change price on the One.

I was thinking even lesser quality and cheaper than the One, £100-£130, with maybe a dock as optional extra.

No way is Sonos going to cut into Ikea's market by offering a speaker with these extra features at the same price as the Ikea bookshelf. My guess is also $250.

What do you mean?

Posters going into a discussion of what is being released to complain about what isn't being released.
One of the great new features overlooked so far in this thread will be Auto Trueplay, which means the Android vs iPhone Trueplay tuning argument will now be moot. Hopefully, Auto Trueplay will be coming to existing Sonos speakers with microphone arrays, as well.
I'm pretty sure this was strictly for the press. The public will have to wait until an official announcement.
If people are willing to buy Bose after they abandoned their entire multi-room music line after less than 5 years because they couldn't make it work with Alexa, then they get what they deserve.
Looks familiar....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bose-bluetooth-portable-smart-speaker/

They should have wrapped some LEDs around the top so it can be used as a lantern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, TOS is a shortened version of TOSLINK and used interchangeably for optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well, I'm a big Sonos supporter, but I think the Port is a weak, over-priced product. I'll stick with my Connects, since the feature-deficient Port is unable to replace them.

The Move is appealing but also appears a little expensive.
Are we there yet?
The handle is at the top of the indentation on the back. Click in the link to the German website that the Verge references, they have more/better pictures.

edit: and thanks, chicks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
So thinking about my youngsters on tight budgets - the ikea speakers especially the bookshelf provide a entry point into the Sonos world and an alternative to buying a bluetooth and if they had been available 2 years ago would have been bought rather than a well known bluetooth brand. However ,and this appears to be a big but for them, they don't offer portability so this might be a much needed addition to the range. Pricing will be the issue for them but cheap entry via IKEA and then save up for a portable - I can see that working. Personally I am interested in both.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Also please don't announce with a 9 month lead time one can only take so much expectation in one year
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I've deleted some posts that were getting out of hand. Let's keep this on speculation and discussion, not insulting other people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looking forward to these. I was about to buy a second One to make a Stereo pair in my Garage. A pair of portables would be better, the One can go to a room in the house and the portable can be used when we eat outside on a hot summer evening... about twice a year in the UK!
That's most likely due to the fact that USB-C, as a first in any USB protocol versions, supports up to 100 watts and 20 volts of constant power delivery. Should be plenty to provide the required volume levels for outside activities.

Indeed, it all comes down to battery capacity with this one. So what's the average runtime of any other odd BT player nowadays? I'm hilariously ignorant towards anything BT-related ... mea culpa. 😏
Has there been any intel on the S23, or is everyone just gaga for the Move? I’m more interested in a Connect replacement, since I have a ZP80 and a ZP100 that may or may not be DOA’d by “mandatory update” in the near future.

There seems to be less info available about this, and perhaps it's just less 'sexy' to the masses. Could also (hopefully?) be that the leaks are planned by Sonos and they wanted to hold something back for marketing purposes. In other words, I don't know.

I would guess that a new connect won't be a big change in features. New hardware and airplay 2 compatibility is a given. Maybe the ability the accept digital inputs? maybe an HDMI/HDMI-ARC- pass through of sorts. I imagine the form factor will change to black and better to fit into a rack. I hope the price will lower as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't change.
It is pretty. The article that I read claimed it was wireless....but I'm curious as to how it actually does Dolby Atmos. How many other speakers do I need to purchase, and at what cost? 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Dolby Atmos. How many other speakers do I need to purchase, and at what cost? :)

Exactly!

I'm curious how that all works out or if it's "contained" within the soundbar. If so, we know it's not true atmos.

Do you need to get additional Beosound devices and bond them to the bar?
Going to assume it will only work with the Beosound/Multi room devices.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers

Cheapest one going for $300.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am hoping we will hear before the 6th. The Sonos offsite event takes place on the 4th & 5th in advance of the public show.
And I, for one, would be most pleased to update my two PLAYBARs with newer hardware. Despite the fact that they still work perfectly, damn them. Maybe if Sonos releases something cool, they'll break for me, and give me an excuse to purchase new.

Accidents happen...😈
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
And Sonos as usual do not have a stand. So to keep Bruce on his tenters - 4th announce the Move which we know the most about and everything else on the 5th
I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....

Depends on how big the handle is I suppose. Although if it looks odd, but good, then perhaps it can draw attention and get guests asking "What is that?". Word of mouth advertising. Perhaps that was the motivation behind the ikea lampspeaker.

I suppose I've got used to battery powered tools and vacuums and such lately, and much prefer these to be wall mounted and out of the way rather than sitting on a shelf.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if other accessories that come with this are:
  • extra USB-C battery
  • solar panel charger
  • carrying case with shoulder strap
Well, I might be surprised, but I'd like to see it. Solar channel might be a bad idea if it encourages people to leave the speaker outside permanently.
For those who (beats me why) still want to use AirPlay, they’ll have three options: $99 for the IKEA, albeit with inferior sound, $149 for the SL, or $199 for the One. Lots of examples of these stair step product offerings out there. Look at cars, for example. People love choices.