New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Sonos One SL no longer just a rumour

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-ONESLUS1BLK-One-SL-Black/dp/B07W8ZVXWR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=sonos+one+sl&qid=1567630962&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
If you have audio apps on your iDevices that don’t have a native Sonos streaming app, then Airplay is very useful.
Badge
Sonos One SL no longer just a rumour

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-ONESLUS1BLK-One-SL-Black/dp/B07W8ZVXWR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=sonos+one+sl&qid=1567630962&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The description says “The speaker for stereo pairing and home theater surrounds.”...They should have done this from the start!
Page not found?
I'd assume if there's anything that they need to update in the PLAYBAR, it would include a processor update. Being designed so many years ago, I suspect you could get multiples of the speed of that processor, at a cheaper price these days. If they're going to add any of those things you mentioned, it will certainly need that additional update.

Edit: Just remembered the name....CaseLogic. Use to make CD cases, that I used extensively, amongst other things.

I still use 3 or 4 of those giant CD binders to archive all my old stuff. One for DVDs that I still open from time to time when I'm in the mood from some oldies.

You prompted me to google caselogic and it looks like they are still around, mostly doing backpacks, laptop cases, and other more modern devices, but they still sell disc cases.
https://www.adorama.com/soplay1blk3.html

SL 3-pack. My math says $149 each. Picture obviously Play:1...

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂
Badge
On amazon it said $179 I believe. And it did show picture of a Sonos One without the microphone icon or the circle with the holes for the microphones
I’d be willing to bet these folks are posting these early, and by providing links here, we’re providing assistance to the Sonos legal department to force them to take them down, until the embargo date.

Which could well be tomorrow, since it’s late in the day today. I’ll be interested.
New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?
Really? I need to go check the Apple store.

Most interesting. I'd agree with your supposition 🙂
Still 10.3.3 from a week ago on the US iOS “store”

I can't believe nobody has spilt the beans yet, how can they call themselves journalists 😂If they do spill after agreeing not to, they'll never be invited to another Sonos presser!

Just Sonos? I would guess that other tech companies are paying attention to who in the press can't be trusted.

Erm, leaks are generally anonymous and deliberate...
Not being invited again isn't quite the same with some client 'agreements'..

I wouldn't imagine any publications at the presser would release info they know is under embargo. It doesn't matter if they got info from a separate source than the presser. They would still be shut out from future pressers, right? Maybe someone will post something on reddit, like they did about the SL, with it going no further than that.
3D model of Move next to Play:1

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sonos-move-speaker-6d2250687d7d4d5391f926a024a66bcb
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Not sure we can rely on controller updates to tell us much.I think 10.3.5 released 4 September on Android is the 18th release this year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I wouldn't imagine anyone there would release it either - but information is often leaked by such publications (or even the company themselves!!) for our consumption.
The images and info we've already seen will all surely be breaking many NDA's/agreements anyway?
Credit to Sonos for allowing them - unless of course they know something we don't... :)
EDIT: wow, the 3D render shows it to be a fair bit bigger than I was expecting.
EDIT: wow, the 3D render shows it to be a fair bit bigger than I was expecting.

Which I interpret as a good sign. I wouldn't think you could match the Sonos One sound quality in a smaller package and you need room form the battery.

I’m sure that there will be some sort of third party wall mount solution relatively quickly. I’m not as convinced it will look as good, though, if there truly is a handle on the back for carrying the speaker. I’d think that would keep it from being nestled against the wall....I'm sure Flexson will be on the case! £50 for a crappy piece of plastic 😂

If they're discreet enough, a few wall mounts around the garden would be good for me, then I can move the speaker around when needed.

Hadn't considered that possibility. I was thinking more of an indoor charging station.

I wonder what it will be called? Sonos Zero? Sonos Go?

I'd go with Sonos 2/Duo/Dual. Two is the natural progression and it emphasizes that the speaker has 2 modes.

Re battery life. I used to have a Squeezebox Radio, an amazing bit of kit. The battery lasted 6+ hours.

I'm going to guess it will go about 3 hours. Although battery life is important, I don't think Sonos will want to limit sound quality in order to get longer life. I also don't think it's as important since USB power sources are pretty easy to get these days.

It's rumored to be pretty bug, but I hope it fits in a carry-on suit case. I don't travel much, but usually do take a bluetooth speaker with me when I do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
playbar, it could use an upgrade for sure, but it feels like it should get more than just colors, hdmi-arc, airplay, and voice control...if atmos or some other advancement is in the near future. I'd say the playbar needs more than just getting the bar up to date, it needs new features.

We all know that's not gonna happen, but that was said 12 months ago about a wireless speaker so who knows.

Maybe the Sonos Move is the first step to creating a Damson wireless home cinema competitor?
https://www.damsonglobal.com/homecinemav2
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sonos Port $399
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502022-REG/sonos_port1us1blk_port.html

Move was listed at $400 USD, listing is down now, hope it isn't accurate 😟😟😟😟

One SL $179

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501430-REG/sonos_oneslus1blk_one_sl_wireless_speaker.html/
Sonos Port $399https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502022-REG/sonos_port1us1blk_port.htmlMove was listed at $400 USD, listing is down now, hope it isn't accurate 😟😟😟😟

Nice find. I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed assuming everything on this Port listing is accurate. The price went up $50 over the current Connect. What's changed

• Exterior redesign. It matches the look of the Amp with a smaller form factor. Black. I suspect it will work in stereo cabinets much better.
  • Airplay added. This was pretty much a given, but does it justify a price increase? Adding this pretty much makes any amp/receiver in your home airplay compatible. That is rather powerful, if you're an airplay fan/user.
  • 12V trigger. This is something a lot of folks were asking for and probably makes it rather appealing to the professional installer market.
  • Optical output has been dropped. All you get is RCA and coaxial output. I imagine this isn't that big of an issue for most folks.
Really disappointed that there isn't built in voice control, but I can see where that might be a big no-no in Google/Amazon's eyes, and it might add complication with speakers. It would need to work something like the Fire TV cube, with logic for a local speaker and TV speakers depending on whether TV is currently on. Not sure how the Port would know the amp input is currently set.

Also would have really liked to see a HDMI/HDMI-ARC pass through, similar to what the Echo Link products have.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
My concern would be that the battery is replaceable by the user. I have squeezebox radios, a Zipp, and B&O headphones - all have replaceable batteries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Considering how ridiculously overpriced many feel the existing Connect to be, this is funny.