Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Just bought a playbar unaware of the Lack of DTS support. No sound on all of my movies played via the plex client on my LG tv unless I use the tv speakers rendering my playbar an expensive wall ornament. Please sonos DTS is a must have that needs to be added ASAP.
I've got the same problem with the Plex client on my Samsung SmartTV (PS51D8090). It's very disappointing.
Dear Sonos, I cannot buy playbar until you add DTS support.. So please Sonos add DTS support!! Thanks..
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Whatever it is, it is unfair to the customers who have invested so much into their products to get the surround sound experience. They have to come up with a workaround (charge few etc bucks one time who want DTS and already have a playbar), or something else..But this kind of support is not warranted
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

John M please answer the following then, if you are allowed

Why aren't the following true.

DTS would be easy to add ?

DTS would be cheap to add ?

DTS would not undermine the simplicity principle ?

DTS would expand the market for the PlayBar ?
Userlevel 1
A week in to my relationship with the PLAYBAR... It will now get moved in to the kids room, where there are no need to watch blue ray... To bad, i really liked the setup, and was about to take down all the speakers from the old system... And it is defiantly delivering way better sound than the kids will ever need. I know how SONOS recommends the setup, but I'm still quite surprised that they left out DTS and made a great product lack all flexibility for any other type of connection scenario.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I just had a look into my crystal ball that told me that in about six months DTS support will be implemented. And all those like Bernd who have returned their equipment in favour of some competitor will be sorry then! No, seriously, I want DTS too, but give the Sonos guys some time to get it right. Just yelling at them won't do any good. And as we can see from the past, they were implementing some new features into already existing products, so they seem to care about existing customers, too.
@frieder SONOS customers have waited years (and are still waiting) for things that are 'under consideration'.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Do these people ever hear/ respond are did they just made this forum for a sake of it???
A few hours ago I was on the way to order a playbar with sub and rear speakers, but now knowing DTS it's not there, knowing the playbar or I should netter say the Sonos system, isn't able to work as every 5.1 system I stopped thinking about my order. Sorry Sonos, great system but really bad decision. Furthermore without statement I can't buy, because I never know if there is an upgrade possible or I have to buy another one in a few months....
Just to let you know my 2013 Samsung 8000 series 3D TV can output PCM *and* DTS Neo 2:5 on optical audio for HDMI. (It will also do Dolby Digital for Apps and channels, be we already know that). Apparently DTS Neo is multi-channels encoded in PCM.   I think Sonos will find that to be competitive in the TV sound system space, it is important to keep up with the direction it is headed - 3D and consumers want 3D sound.  The need to buy a separate 3D receiver to connect your HDMI source just to separate audio from video to pump the audio to a optical output, leaving all speaker connections unused does not make sense to a consumer like me.  I would not buy Sonos to hook up to a DTS receiver.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please could we get an update from Sonos on the rationale for leaving DTS out and the likelihood of it being added? Thank you.
Userlevel 1
It seems to me Sonos don't give a damn about their customers. The only way they are going to listen to their existing/prospective Playbar customers, is to send the equipment back for a refund/not purchase until they have got DTS on the Playbar. HDMI would be the best way to go forward on Playbar:2.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It is great that updates are provided to enhance the ability of Sonos products and ensure our investments do not go out of date quickly. I think this is one of the benefits of Sonos against the competition. It was also interesting today to see the launch of the new Play 1, which looks perfect as a surround speaker when combined with the playbar. What a shame then that Sonos are still insisting on promoting that this combination offers 'true' surround when everyone in this forum knows that this is stretching the truth somewhat. Sonos playbar supports Dolby Digital 5.1 which is used for A. Some off air broadcasts B. DVD discs Sonos playbar does not support DTS which is used for A. 90% of BluRay discs Dolby Digital Plus which is used by ( something rarely mentioned here) A. NetFlix B. Sky HD channels A new speaker is great but if you are going to advertise as a surround system, you need to make sure that the media sources can be handled. After All... Without source content, the flashiest systems are pretty much useless. Please resolve this issue
Userlevel 2
I already own a couple of Sonos components and love them all. I would also love to buy a Soundbar, a Sub and two Play 1 units for my living room. But, as long as DTS is not supported, this is not gonna happen. If i pay a premium price for hi-fi equipment, I except it to work flawless with all kind of audio tracks.
My Samsung 9005 series TV can output DTS.
Userlevel 1
This! My fear is that there is a technical reason it wasn't included and its not physically possible due to bandwidth issues to the satellite speakers.
The lack of DTS support is a major oversight. Unfortunately I did not catch this before I made the purchase. I even spoke with a Sonos Sales Rep at Best Buy and they led me to believe it supported "all the major audio technologies" after I had asked if it supported Dolby/DTS. (Shame on me for taking their word?) Like everyone before me, the majority of my movie collection is encoded in DTS. The Playbar sounds fantastic when using Dolby Digital but it's truly a shame that I can't experience the Playbar's full potential because it does not support DTS. Help us out Sonos....
Your response quickly made me decide to NOT invest in a Sonus system. Thanks for your insightful response. Clearly your too busy launching micro speaks and ignoring long term customers basic requests...you can find me at the Bose, or some other vendors, demo booth. Truly disappointing...
Please add dts support for the Sonos Playbar. This is an amazing product and even better when teamed up with the Sub and Play:1/Play:2 combo. But having to find workarounds for a product this expensive should not be necessary. As many people have pointed out - there are cheaper options that support both dts and Dolby digital. Please at least have the consideration to provide us with an update on this. It has been 3 months with no word. Please Sonos. Make it a Christmas gift for your customers!
I am very pleased with my brand new playbar and sub - fantastic sound and extremely user friendly. Thank you for a great product!

However - my Sonos serves a dual purpose: TV sound out: OK. Media center/Blue Ray surrround sound out: Semi-OK. My new Samsung (9005 series) outputs DTS, as does many blue ray movies; but the playbar does not support this format.

There are other users out there with a predicament similar to mine - and with the fast progression of technology and your otherwise very flexible and capable solution, I guess that demand for DTS support will be growing.

DTS support was a parameter in my decision tree before buying Sonos - other parameters were simply more influential on the decision 🙂 But DTS will also be a parameter in (many) other potential customers' buy decision.

Where you win big on the WAF and ease of use in the market place, I suspect that you also risk losing possible users by not supporting DTS. It is one of those easy-to-remember home cinema surround sound formats - and it simply does not look good that: 'Sonos does not support DTS' - however rational and logical the original solution not to do so was in the beginning. 

...and technology will make more and more potential customers want DTS support.

Please re-consider the decision not to support DTS. For my sake because I'd like DTS sound through my Playbar - and for Sonos' sake because it is an un-necessary scratch on an otherwise spotless image 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This bandwidth issue keeps coming up after some apparent finger in the air speculation from a dealer. I believe this has already been answered many times, in an official capacity, and there is no issue with adding DTS later. Saying that though, if it is possible, I'm wondering why it wasn't added in the first place? You wouldn't expect cost to be a constraint on a premium product.
Userlevel 3
The lack of DTS support is a major oversight. Unfortunately I did not catch this before I made the purchase. I even spoke with a Sonos Sales Rep at Best Buy and they led me to believe it supported "all the major audio technologies" after I had asked if it supported Dolby/DTS. (Shame on me for taking their word?) Like everyone before me, the majority of my movie collection is encoded in DTS. The Playbar sounds fantastic when using Dolby Digital but it's truly a shame that I can't experience the Playbar's full potential because it does not support DTS. Help us out Sonos....
Which bestbuy?
Your response quickly made me decide to NOT invest in a Sonus system. Thanks for your insightful response. Clearly your too busy launching micro speaks and ignoring long term customers basic requests...you can find me at the Bose, or some other vendors, demo booth. Truly disappointing...
And what is the logic behind not providing compatible stands for surround set up? Your marketing, engineering and, for that matter, leadership team are virtually clueless on basic customer driven business tenets. Can u possibly be that self-centered and deaf to basic requirements your current owners are asking for, let alone potential new customers like myself? You're gonna get killed for your laissez faire consideration of market requirements and needs...will be interesting to see if you, as a company, continue to even exist in 24 months with this selfish, non-responsive approach.
i agree. this is advertised as a home entertainment device.  TrueHD and DTS are home entertainment requirements.  no exception.  i just picked up a playbar and sub today and got it home to realize that TrueHD/DTS are not able to be delivered over an optical cable.  

big miss.
Everyone, a note on comments.  

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding.

OMG, this way to treat customers of a fairly high ranked brand is nothing but a disaster.

SONOS were pioneers in streaming at the time when no other solutions worked sufficiently good. Now you are being taken over by more or less the rest of the market  what the compatibility is concerned because of some stubborn decision at management level.

Maybe it is time to sell out the rest of my SONOS stuff at home, before it becomes worthless, dragged down in value by the reputation?

I am utterly disappointed. 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I can’t see This bandwidth issue being true as I would think the play bar would do the decoding then stream the audio to the rest of the system if it can do it for DD5.1 I can’t see it being an issue with DTS as the decoded channels should be much the same or am I missing something?