Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Not only the lack of DTS decoding is a design flaw... After contacting the support departments of some major TV brands, I found out, that there will be ALWAYS problems getting a valid surround signal using the optical output. The idea of taking the TV to switch sources and take the audio output signal the TV delivers as only source is a good one in itself, BUT: All TV manufacturers seem to support the idea of using HDMI ARC as a digital OUTPUT!!!!! Reason is the HDMI/HDCP copy protection, which, when implemented correctly, prevents the audio and video signal from being delivered to an output without copy protection (optical output!). Only a HDMI (ARC) output can fulfill this requirement! I suppose, that SONOS should not only implement DTS by software, but also HAS TO re-design the soundbar and install a HDMI input using ARC!!!!!! COME ON SONOS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! And also think of the customers already having a playbar at home!!!!! The best way would be to create some kind of adapter using HDMI in as an add-on to the playbar. You promised a flawless system design everybody bought with great expectations, BUT...??? P.S. Sorry for my faulty english, I'm German
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
Count me as skipping buying...just not worth the hi dollars for substandard, compatible system
Badge
Why is this decision taking so long? Please provide an update. We have supported Sonos by paying a premium for your product. Please support us by adding DTS.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

disappointing!
Having bought a playbar and sub I am very disappointed that it does not support DTS. 90% of my blu-rays are DTS whilst only 30% are Dolby Digital 5.1.
Userlevel 1
Not only the lack of DTS decoding is a design flaw... After contacting the support departments of some major TV brands, I found out, that there will be ALWAYS problems getting a valid surround signal using the optical output. The idea of taking the TV to switch sources and take the audio output signal the TV delivers as only source is a good one in itself, BUT: All TV manufacturers seem to support the idea of using HDMI ARC as a digital OUTPUT!!!!! Reason is the HDMI/HDCP copy protection, which, when implemented correctly, prevents the audio and video signal from being delivered to an output without copy protection (optical output!). Only a HDMI (ARC) output can fulfill this requirement! I suppose, that SONOS should not only implement DTS by software, but also HAS TO re-design the soundbar and install a HDMI input using ARC!!!!!! COME ON SONOS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! And also think of the customers already having a playbar at home!!!!! The best way would be to create some kind of adapter using HDMI in as an add-on to the playbar. You promised a flawless system design everybody bought with great expectations, BUT...??? P.S. Sorry for my faulty english, I'm German
Many thanks for this detailed information about HDMI/HDCP copy protection. If I got it right, from a license perspective it's impossible to have properly licensed and therefore legal 5.1 transcoding support for HDMI/HDCP copy protected content delivered to any optical output, regardless of the device type or content source, ‘cause the optical output cannot handle copy protected content by design ? If the content is HDMI/HDCP copy protected it’s not allowed, not licensed, maybe illegal to deliver it via any optical output ? Unfortunately the only option to connect an existing PLAYBAR is just a single optical input. Another deal breaker; maybe one of the most important, ‘cause it's about licensing and copy protection and therefore not solvable with just a few new bits and bytes delivered in a software update. I’m filled with indignation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
DTS is a big thing for movie lovers and really let's the playbar down. I think you would sell twice as many if DTS was added
https://www.facebook.com/sonos/posts/10152075829359699

like my posting!
Everyone, a note on comments.  

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding.

I'm glad I held off on buying the sonos playbar. I guess I will have to settle for Sony HTST7 or Bose CineMate SR1. I will just add a sonos connect to it later on. 
The joy of our new Playbar is being squashed every time we look at the Blue Ray Discs just sitting there mocking us with their silence. Let's have a far more affirmative statement (positive or heaven forbid negative) from SONOS rather than the bland 'it's on the list'.
Userlevel 2
The above statement only applies to Dolby+ and DTS HD. Which both can not be sent through an SPDIF connection anyway... So, to state yourself, User427990: Come on, do your homework! 😉 (no offense ment, but don't believe everything some support member tells you...)
I am also making my first post to comment on this issue. Please add DTS support!! I use PLEX through my Samsung TV (the TV supports DTS through its optical output) and many of my movies have DTS only soundtracks which have to be downconverted to stereo for my Playbar. I am not going to make any meaningless threats to not buy additional SONOS products, or to return my Playbar...it's a great product and I am a big fan of SONOS. However, I agree with others that lack of DTS is a big oversight. Show us that you are a truly exceptional company!!!
Where is the DTS Christmas present?
Userlevel 1

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Real shame... I can't imagine many TV Producers to hold back on routing DTS through the telly in the future. Especially as the channels in DTS provide further options on additional experiences, which could come in handy for extra gadgets in the living room

On the other hand other producers of TV bars, surround systems, multiroom systems etc. will catch up with the easy multiroom functionality of SONOS. It's inevitable... because why wouldn't they?!!
Once this has happened, it will be an easy decision to switch away from SONOS and to a producer that offer DTS support.

Why start so brilliantly and then stop developing?
The speakers are otherwise extremely nice in all aspects... come on!!!
I have a playbar, and DTS seems that should be added as blu-rays often only have DTS.....
Userlevel 1
@Bernd: I get Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical out of my TV to the PLAYBAR when it's passed from the source (cable box, PS3, Wii U, 360). Of course no DTS but here's hoping this thread will push Sonos to add it. Soon.
Hi I do love my playbar but lack of DTS when so many DVD's only having DTS does demonstrate that SONOS does not love its customers?
Userlevel 1
C'mon Sonos - try harder!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I understand SONOS's view that most TV's don't feed 5.1, and they want it to be a totally simple, works on the button solution but what happens if most TV's do start passing 5.1 out of the optical port ? 50% of the time when watching DVD's you will have to fiddle about to get sound ?

QUESTION :

Would SONOS be prepared to offer current playbar owners who register, 50% off any new Playbar that supports DTS or HDMI pass through if one is sold in the next 5 years ?

Might be a deal clincher for some ?
I'm incredibly disappointed.. Disappointed is not a word I have ever associated with Sonos having already picked up Play5 & Play3, not to mention helped some friends get kitted out.. Picked up my AU$999 (that's US$1040 - we pay extra for the pleasure of living in Australia) Playbar 2 days ago. It took a lot longer to unwire my trusty old Samsung 5.1 system than to assemble the Sonos.... But no sound from most of my movies!! Please Sonos.. if there is a potential fix for this, please move it to the top of your priority list. Your reputation for quality is taking a hit. If there is no chance of an update, please make this clear ASAP so that your customers can return their purchases within the accepted time period.
Userlevel 1
If I got it right the design flaw described by User427990 is especially about HDMI/HDCP copy protected content and transcoding related issues to deliver copy protected content via optical connections. In case the content is HDMI/HDCP copy protected, it's not licensed, not allowed or maybe illegal to forward it unprotected to any optical output, even if it works. For simple BITSTREAM forwarding this should not be an issue anyway, 'cause the copy protection on the BITSTREAM is not changed. For transcoding a HDMI/HDCP copy protected BITSTREAM into something unprotected it’s very likely to be at a minimum a legal issue. Not sure, but this is very likely to be one of the reasons, why it is so difficult to find an A-brand audio de-embedder with optical output working properly for all content sources.
Hi, This is my first post. Please add support for DTS. I was actively looking for DTS support to invest in Sonos 5.1 setup. I have seen Demos of 5.1 setup quite impressed the quality of sound and easy to setup. This is a great product. Also looked into recent product release of Bose sound touch speakers and still I prefer Sonos as Bose are less in features with soundtouch speakers and still wired connectivity between speakers and modules. I will go with Sonos once DTS support is released. I have been monitoring this post for past few months with the release of Play 1 speakers still DTS support was not enabled. I know this is now under consideration, John M or Mike C would please update us how long it will take to get this DTS support implemented by Sonos? Thanks
DTS support for me too please.
Userlevel 1

I sent the Playbar back. I will get my money back.
I am so sorry about it and it makes me sad somehow.

I like the Playbar a lot and the DD 5.1 sound was great and I was happy to use it with my Bluray player but I got silence so many times due to the lack of DTS support which was sooo frustrating and made many movies quite useless.

I hope you'll do better in the future SONOS.
Userlevel 2
So disappointed and frustrated - just received my Playbar and it's stunning except for one point; let's hope it's just a matter of time before SONOS do the right thing and implement dts.