Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I do get this on my LG 55NANO866

also Atmos without DD+

Are you saying that when using “pass through” you managed to see Multi-channel PCM on Sonos? Is that since 12.1 update?

The above is Dolby MAT, which is supported. His TV probably did the conversion. 

This was on automatic.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all,

We hear you. With a software update today, Arc now supports multi-channel LPCM, bringing new immersive sound experiences for gaming, Blu-ray discs, and more. To get support for multi-channel LPCM on Arc, download the latest Sonos S2 update from the app store and then update your system in the Sonos S2 app. After updating the app, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

All the best,

Ditte

Amazing, thank you! Finally!! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Nice.  What does this mean for Apple TV users wanting Atmos?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Your TV takes in LPCM (or Dolby MAT because I think that’s how Apple TV sends Atmos), compressed to DD+ probably, and sends it to Sonos (you should see in Sonos app what format data it’s getting).

for me Atmos was never a problem (LG C9), it’s the 5.1 content that is being flattened to 2.0 :(

It’s a complete waste of time to release a product that has significant compatibility issues due to dependence on eARC (which few TVs have) and a lack of support for fundamental codecs (that the enthusiasts who have eARC TVs would probablyneed). ;)

That’s not what my comment was about, but thanks for the rant.  

Badge

Ok so my lpcm is being compressed into something the Sonos can decode. Sweet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It works! It works! thank you, Sonos :)

Userlevel 7

@Madejón Prueba una cosa más: Desactive la configuración de eARC con la Configuración de Audio DTV establecida en Auto o Dolby Digital Plus.

Badge +3

Wait… so I have a blu ray disc in the PS4 and it’s a 5.1 enabled movie. But with the update and changed tv settings, it’s still 2.0? Am I confusing myself? 

Party pooper 

I was pretty shocked to find out that I can’t get surround sound for Switch out of my new Sonos Arc. I appreciate that Nintendo is too cheap to ever license DD5.1 so I really hope Sonos will do a fw update asap with support for multichannel PCM.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wait… so I have a blu ray disc in the PS4 and it’s a 5.1 enabled movie. But with the update and changed tv settings, it’s still 2.0? Am I confusing myself? 

Sounds like your settings are wrong and you probably do not have an earc tv?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi all,

We hear you. With a software update today, Arc now supports multi-channel LPCM, bringing new immersive sound experiences for gaming, Blu-ray discs, and more. To get support for multi-channel LPCM on Arc, download the latest Sonos S2 update from the app store and then update your system in the Sonos S2 app. After updating the app, go to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

All the best,

Ditte

NO LPCM for any of the other HDMI Sonos devices? 

Badge +3

I absolutely do have an eARC TV… so I’m unsure what I am doing wrong in the settings. I have it set to “auto” instead of PCM or passthrough and the PS4 is set to Bitstream Dolby.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

I see 12.0.3 is out today. Is this issue addressed in this release? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Party pooper 

Not at all, it should work now. If it doesn’t, it’s a tv issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks for the update. Sound like it won’t be done in time before return periods end... 

Party pooper 

But off topic.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I absolutely do have an eARC TV… so I’m unsure what I am doing wrong in the settings. I have it set to “auto” instead of PCM or passthrough and the PS4 is set to Bitstream Dolby.

If that’s an lg, at least your tv setting is wrong. You might have to also force the tv to look at the Arc edid again… so unplug both for 15 mins and try again or something.

Badge

I can’t get surround to work with my PS4 or my Switch with the new update to the sonos Arc. I have a new LG 55’ NanoCell witch has eARC according to the specs in the web. I get Atmos perfectly when using Netflix etc.

In the TV settings for the PS4, I have the HDMI input format to PCM and the output to Passthrough. In the PS4 I have set output to PCM. I only get stereo in the Arc.

In the Switch, same story, I have selected surround in the console but only get stereo in the ARC. Same settings on the TV 😞

I have tried rebooting everything with no effect. I don’t know what else to do.

You want input to be bitstream, not PCM. Output Passthrough. 

So the output of the PS4 should be Bitstream too? Maybe I’m not getting something, I understood that now that we have PCM multichannel support in the Arc, we’d want to have PCM all along, in the PS4 and in the Arc.

I’m not sure about output on PS4, but you want bitstream on input on tv and pass through on output. Otherwise it will flat it down to stereo. I believe PS outputs LPCM in bitstream.

If I select bitstream in the PS4, I have to select bitstream in the TV as input format, and doing so gets surround working with the Arc but I get the painful audio delay this update was supposed to solve. My perception was that with this update, being now the Arc compatible with multichannel LPCM we could have LPCM all along the signal chain to have surround sound and no delay, but somehow this is not working for me. Selecting LPCM on the PS4 and the TV only gets stereo signal.

Badge

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I just performed the “DTS Sound Check” from a 2015 DTS Demo Blu-ray disc. I am playing this on a Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player with DTS set to PCM. These are the results:

DTS Sound Check 5.1
All channels played the test tones correctly. The Sonos app reported “Multichannel PCM 7.1”.

DTS Sound Check 7.1
All channels played the test tones correctly EXCEPT the Left Rear and Right Rear Surround channels. The surround test tones only played out of the Left Side and Right Side Surround channels. The Left Rear and Right Rear Surrounds were completely silent. The Sonos app reported “Multichannel PCM 7.1”.

So it appears the Sonos Arc is not playing the Left Rear and Right Rear surround channels when playing a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track.

Is the DTS 5.1 reporting as multichannel pcm 7.1 correct then, or should it be multichannel pcm 5.1?

All my devices that output 5.1 such as blurays with DTS 5.1 output as 7.1, even on my series x outputting as uncompressed 5.1 says 7.1 on the app. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Party pooper 

But off topic.

The fact that it now works due to this very patch is off topic?

Badge +3

You should set to passthrough. 

I have a Samsung QLED. So the PS4 should be Dolby Bitstream and the TV passthrough?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

That's odd. Selecting the HDMI Input on my CX has no effect on what I choose on my PS4. And either way for me it is not changing anything when I switch HDMI Input on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. The only thing that it making it change is the Audio Out on the PS4 itself with Linear PCM giving me Multichannel PCM 7.1 and Bitstream (Dolby) giving me Dolby Digital 5.1. I don’t have any delay issues with DD 5.1 though so I went back to that since something seems wrong with the LPCM sound. Not sure what else you can try. It may be an issue with your specific TV model?