Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just leaving this post so I can keep up with this. 

You can click on the Favorite icon at the top of the thread, then you can use the Subscriptions feature to easily keep an eye on it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wait… so I have a blu ray disc in the PS4 and it’s a 5.1 enabled movie. But with the update and changed tv settings, it’s still 2.0? Am I confusing myself? 

Sounds like your settings are wrong and you probably do not have an earc tv?

I absolutely do have an eARC TV… so I’m unsure what I am doing wrong in the settings. I have it set to “auto” instead of PCM or passthrough and the PS4 is set to Bitstream Dolby.

You should set to passthrough. 

I have a Samsung QLED. So the PS4 should be Dolby Bitstream and the TV passthrough?

Yes, assuming your TV supports Multichannel LPCM passthrough (should). Basically that way TV sends whatever it gets from PS4 directly to Arc. Arc should be able to deal with the audio now. Make sure your eARC is enabled. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

Is your output set to passthrough on the tv? 

Badge

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

Yep, I have passthrough selected

We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do.

Thank you for the update, Krishma! Would it be possible for you to give us an idea as to how high up on the list of priorities this is currently, amongst all other features and projects you're looking at? Have the developers started working on this feature yet, or is it still yet to be prioritized?

I accept a reluctance to announce a date due to Covid and all, but it would be nice to have something to check my expectations by, besides in effect "maybe/hopefully eventually". Regardless, I'm glad to once again hear it's still in the pipeline. Personally, the omission of L-PCM support is solely the reason I haven't yet bought the Arc, and while I greatly enjoy my current Sonos setup I'd love to upgrade for full surround support for my Nintendo Switch. So I'm eagerly and hopefully awaiting it's announcement. Thank you once again.

Badge

That's odd. Selecting the HDMI Input on my CX has no effect on what I choose on my PS4. And either way for me it is not changing anything when I switch HDMI Input on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. The only thing that it making it change is the Audio Out on the PS4 itself with Linear PCM giving me Multichannel PCM 7.1 and Bitstream (Dolby) giving me Dolby Digital 5.1. I don’t have any delay issues with DD 5.1 though so I went back to that since something seems wrong with the LPCM sound. Not sure what else you can try. It may be an issue with your specific TV model?

Difficult to know. The TV is new, I bought it 2 weeks ago and it has eARC as stated in LG’s website. So I can’t really know what’s not working. I’ve checked all the TV’s menus to see if there was something wrong but I don’t see anything that could be the problem.

Badge +3

Wait… so I have a blu ray disc in the PS4 and it’s a 5.1 enabled movie. But with the update and changed tv settings, it’s still 2.0? Am I confusing myself? 

I absolutely do have an eARC TV… so I’m unsure what I am doing wrong in the settings. I have it set to “auto” instead of PCM or passthrough and the PS4 is set to Bitstream Dolby.

I have a Samsung QLED. So the PS4 should be Dolby Bitstream and the TV passthrough?

Yes, assuming your TV supports Multichannel LPCM passthrough (should). Basically that way TV sends whatever it gets from PS4 directly to Arc. Arc should be able to deal with the audio now. Make sure your eARC is enabled. 

Strange. I have a blu-ray in and it has a 5.1 DTS HD option and it’s still outputting Stereo PCM 2.0. eARC is enabled. On chat to Sonos now… 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And is your delay setting in tv and Sonos sync set to 0?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Strange. I have a blu-ray in and it has a 5.1 DTS HD option and it’s still outputting Stereo PCM 2.0. eARC is enabled. On chat to Sonos now… 

Sonos doesn’t support DTS. You want Multichannel LPCM or Dolby Digital 5.1 or anything like that. 

Badge

And is your delay setting in tv and Sonos sync set to 0?

Yep! That’s all correctly set up.

The Arc still doesn't support DTS as far as I know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@ledzep1 He played a 5.1 test sound, it doesn’t necessarily mean the BR player was outputting a 5.1 signal. The BR player could be having the same issue as our PS4s/5s where for whatever reason it recognizes Arc as 7.1, outputs a 7.1 signal and Arc doesn’t convert to 5.1  If he can manually set the BR player to 5.1, that would eliminate that variable.   

In my experience across 3 devices now, devices outputting LPCM 5.1 show properly in the Sonos app as PCM 5.1. I think it may be your TV model/settings that is the problem there. What are your pass through settings set to?

There is still definitely something odd though with devices thinking Sonos is 7.1, I think. 

My PS5 when forced to output uncompressed 5.1, shows correctly in app as 5.1. When allowed to pick itself on “auto” it shows 7.1 in the app. 

Did you try that ATV 5.1 test app? 

Need to get around to trying the test app, on my series x if I elect uncompressed 5.1, the sonos app says its outputting as multichannel pcm 7.1.

I know others have encountered the same, so its not just me, perhaps it is the LG CX, I have audio set to passthrough with eARC on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@FishyD I tried test app and it reports multichannel 7.1.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

12.1 is out but no mention it’s been resolved. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Badge +3

Sonos doesn’t support DTS. You want Multichannel LPCM or Dolby Digital 5.1 or anything like that. 

Ahh. I’ll try a blu-ray with DD5.1… additionally, I’ve just put a game on and it’s just “dolby digital 5.1” and not LPCM unless I change the TV to “auto” instead of passthrough… sorry for the questions, I’m a noob!

Badge

@ledzep1Interesting. That is a DD 5.1 signal and if your ATV is set to “auto” in the sound settings, is decoded by ATV and output in LPCM. That pretty much narrows this particular issue to LG, that is the only variable here. With this exact same test, my Sonos shows PCM 5.1. I would just make sure your ATV sound is set to “auto” and shows in the description that ATV will output in multichannel PCM. 

I wonder if others having this problem have LGs. 

On my Sony, same settings. Pass through and eARC on. Do you have an “auto” setting on your TV in the audio Arc pass through settings? Maybe try that and see what happens. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ahh. I’ll try a blu-ray with DD5.1… additionally, I’ve just put a game on and it’s just “dolby digital 5.1” and not LPCM unless I change the TV to “auto” instead of passthrough… sorry for the questions, I’m a noob!

No worries, yes, TV will probably flatten most signals into Stereo, hence it’s better as much as possible for signal to just pass through (ha!) directly to audio receiver.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You want the multichannel pcm output (can’t remember what it is) on the ps4, it doesn’t compress the audio and works now.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar nada, tampoco lo he conseguido así😡

Badge +3

You want the multichannel pcm output (can’t remember what it is) on the ps4, it doesn’t compress the audio and works now.

I’m having a nightmare here haha. I put in a new blu-ray that is DD5.1 and using passthrough or auto on my TV doesn’t work. I’ve also changed the ps4 to Linear PCM instead of dolby and nope… ahh!!

Badge

Hola buenas tardes, me llego la sonos arc hace dos días y tengo problemas para reproducir dolby atmos y no sé sí podéis ayudarme. 
La televisión la veo a través de un router 4k de una compañía de tlfno que en España es Movistar y va conectado al hdmi arc, sonos arc lo tengo puesto en hdmi e-arc. Al reproducir contenido dolby atmos tanto app de la televisión como netflix, disney etc en la app sonos me aparece Estéreo PCM, he comprobado la configuración de mi televisión LG OLED 65 GX y me sale esto: salida de sonido HDMI ARC, configuración de audio tv automático, formato de audio de entrada, hdmi 3 bitstream, salida de sonido digital PCM y el e-arc esta marcado.

Alguien sabe que es lo que estoy haciendo mal? Un saludo a todos y gracias    

Hello, good afternoon, the sonos arc arrived two days ago and I have problems playing dolby atmos and I don't know if you can help me.
  I watch television through a 4k router from a telephone company that in Spain is Movistar and it is connected to the hdmi arc, sonos arc I have it set to hdmi e-arc.  When playing dolby atmos content in both the TV app and Netflix, Disney, etc., in the sonos app I get PCM Stereo, I have checked the configuration of my LG OLED 65 GX television and I get this: HDMI ARC sound output, TV audio configuration  automatic, input audio format, hdmi 3 bitstream, PCM digital sound output and the e-arc is marked.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Greetings to all and thanks

Userlevel 1

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts here. I understand where you all coming from and as Ryan’s response we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. Ryan’s response has just been marked as the best answer for you to easily see and know that we addressed it. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

I agree with previous comments, would it be possible at least to know a little bit your planning plan ? We don't even know if you already begin to work at this. We speak about days, monthes, years ? I think that's unfortunately not instructive for us.

Thanks

Badge

100%.  There appear to be 2 separate (possibly related) LPCM issues here. This one you and others are having where on LGs, an actual 5.1 signal is somehow showing as 7.1 and the issue where devices like PS are auto recognizing Sonos as 7.1 and Sonos isn’t converting that 7.1 down to 5.1. 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

Hi Scott! I assume this also applies to the Beam?

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar Is there a setting on your BR player to force a 5.1 output? Just out of curiosity, that fixed this exact issue in my experience. Do ARC/eARC sound bars use EDIDs or some kind of config file to tell TVs what their capabilities are? I wonder, is the problem that Sonos isn’t giving proper format instructions to upstream devices or that the sound bar isn’t properly mixing 7.1 down to 5.1. 

There isn’t a setting on my player to force 5.1.

If Sonos decides to fix the down mixing, that would be great, but honestly I am not too bothered by it because the rear surround speakers still sound great when watching a DTS movie. And if they fixed it, I’m not sure it would make much of a difference for most content.