Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

That's odd. Selecting the HDMI Input on my CX has no effect on what I choose on my PS4. And either way for me it is not changing anything when I switch HDMI Input on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. The only thing that it making it change is the Audio Out on the PS4 itself with Linear PCM giving me Multichannel PCM 7.1 and Bitstream (Dolby) giving me Dolby Digital 5.1. I don’t have any delay issues with DD 5.1 though so I went back to that since something seems wrong with the LPCM sound. Not sure what else you can try. It may be an issue with your specific TV model?

Difficult to know. The TV is new, I bought it 2 weeks ago and it has eARC as stated in LG’s website. So I can’t really know what’s not working. I’ve checked all the TV’s menus to see if there was something wrong but I don’t see anything that could be the problem.

Over on AVSForum someone just posted that there are issues with the eARC on the CX (which is also a 2020 model year TV) and LPCM so it may be the TV that is the culprit for my problem. The C9 had the same problem and a firmware update apparently fixed it.Hopefully a firmware update from LG will fix it on the CX as well. Could be the same for yours?

I’m having a nightmare here haha. I put in a new blu-ray that is DD5.1 and using passthrough or auto on my TV doesn’t work. I’ve also changed the ps4 to Linear PCM instead of dolby and nope… ahh!!

With these settings in place snd the firmware update, I would power off (completely- not just standby) the PS4, TV & Arc for 30 seconds then bring them back online (TV first) and let the devices do their ‘handshake’ again and see if that solves the issue.

Badge +3

I’m having a nightmare here haha. I put in a new blu-ray that is DD5.1 and using passthrough or auto on my TV doesn’t work. I’ve also changed the ps4 to Linear PCM instead of dolby and nope… ahh!!

With these settings in place snd the firmware update, I would power off (completely- not just standby) the PS4, TV & Arc for 30 seconds then bring them back online (TV first) and let the devices do their ‘handshake’ again and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for the reply. So, TV to passthrough and PS4 to dolby bitstream? Or PS4 to linear PCM?

Userlevel 7

@FishyD I have a DTS demo Blu-ray disc coming next week that includes a 7.1 “DTS Sound Check” video. I’ll report back how the Arc handles the surround test tones from the 7.1 PCM signal.

When you say ARC, do you really mean the Sonos Arc, and not Audio Return Channel?

Userlevel 7

@Madejón Se me acabaron las ideas. Al menos ahora obtiene Dolby Digital Plus en lugar de Stereo PCM.

Sigo pensando que podría ser el cable HDMI diferente que estás usando. ¿Puedes probarlo con el cable HDMI que viene con el Arc?

Badge

come on LG Europe pull your fingers out and release the UK firmware that fixes this.  Yes I know this is a Sonos forum, I wish LG UK has a forums and I’d post over there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The USA version of the firmware more than likely is region blocked.

I’m sure the firmware is actually different. The US has a completely different broadcast TV standard than the UK, for one thing.

Userlevel 7

@Madejón Configure la salida de sonido digital para que pase a través.

Set Digital Sound Out to Pass Through.

Badge +3

I started a new question about my issue as to not clog up this answered thread… no idea why it won't output for me via PS4.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Intriguing news!

Doesn't the Arc automatically update?

I seemed to think the audio textures improved a couple days ago but thought it was just the program I was watching.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Can someone from Sonos update us please?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for sharing all of your feedback everyone. We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

Soon I hope! Beam owner here with a new LG C9 and keen to upgrade to the Arc but not without LPCM. I play a lot of movies through my pc which will send regular Dolby and downmix DTS to PCM which sounds OK on the Beam (and 2 Sonos One's) but now the Arc and eARC mean high quality, uncompressed sound, that's what I want, not just Atmos support. 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

Hi Scott! I assume this also applies to the Beam?

No point for the beam. Can’t pass 5.1 LPCM over HDMI ARC or optical anyways

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

what if scott has a beam connected to a TV with EARC? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I’ve already signed up at the beta link to be a general beta tester, but I was curious if it would be beneficial to suggest that a specific LPCM beta group be created since so many are interested in this specific feature for the arc. If I’m breaking any rules by mentioning this here I apologize, just trying to help the process along in any way I can.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you have a 2019 LG OLED (B9,C9,E9, W9) and use an Apple TV 4K then I strongly advise you to not update to the 04.80.03 update until Sonos update the Arc with LPCM 5.1 support. 

Because the TV after the 04.80.03 update supports LPCM 5.1 the Apple TV thinks (reads the TVs EDID) that it can now accept LPCM 5.1 so it sends LPCM 5.1 audio however because the Arc doesn't support it yet it then it only outputs 2 channels (Sonos app shows “Stereo 2.0” for all non Atmos content). Before the 04.80.03 update because TV didnt support LPCM 5.1 channels the Apple TV would just decode it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and everything worked well. 

I along with a lot of other users have update the TV and we are all having issues. The only way around it is now to change the setting on the Apple TV to “Change Format to Dolby Digital 5.1” however this turns off Dolby Atmos. 

This is only an issue with the Apple TV. I confirm everything is fine for the WebOS apps and other media devices. 

Really need LPCM support more than ever for the Arc now

I have this problem too: LG C9 (on 04.80.03) with Apple TV 4K and Sonos Arc. Manually switching sound format isn’t practical (a pain for me, impossible to explain to rest of household) so we’re left relying on the TV’s apps and not using the Apple TV. Which is not what I want.

What I would really like to do, until Arc gets LPCM5.1 support, is downgrade the LG TV firmware but I can’t find from googling if/how to do this. Does anyone know?

@GuitarSuperstar - Sonos just released a 13.2 update with bug fixes - I wonder if you wouldn’t mind checking if multichannel PCM 7.1 mixing issue has finally been resolved?

Release date: 7/27/2021

In this update:

• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Badge

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

If I do what you said and put the LG NanoCell HDMI input in Bitstream, the PS4 automatically changes the output to bitstream. And again, that gives surround sound but with delay 😞 

That's odd. Selecting the HDMI Input on my CX has no effect on what I choose on my PS4. And either way for me it is not changing anything when I switch HDMI Input on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. The only thing that it making it change is the Audio Out on the PS4 itself with Linear PCM giving me Multichannel PCM 7.1 and Bitstream (Dolby) giving me Dolby Digital 5.1. I don’t have any delay issues with DD 5.1 though so I went back to that since something seems wrong with the LPCM sound. Not sure what else you can try. It may be an issue with your specific TV model?

Difficult to know. The TV is new, I bought it 2 weeks ago and it has eARC as stated in LG’s website. So I can’t really know what’s not working. I’ve checked all the TV’s menus to see if there was something wrong but I don’t see anything that could be the problem.

Over on AVSForum someone just posted that there are issues with the eARC on the CX (which is also a 2020 model year TV) and LPCM so it may be the TV that is the culprit for my problem. The C9 had the same problem and a firmware update apparently fixed it.Hopefully a firmware update from LG will fix it on the CX as well. Could be the same for yours?

No idea, I can’t find anything on Google. I’ve written LG support, let’s see what I can find out (in case they answer).

You have PCM sound issues while the Sonos app shows 5.1? That doesn’t track with any of the issues mentioned here that I saw. If the issues are with PCM 7.1 showing then yes, we all have had the same issue, check out the last few pages. You need to force your device (PC, assuming this is what you are gaming on?) to output in LPCM in 5.1. In my experience with PS, if you do that and the Sonos app says 5.1 PCM it should be good to go. There also seems to be another possibly unrelated issue with the LG CX. A few guys above are having issues with 5.1 signals showing as 7.1 (in app) that at least for me, do not exist (Sony TV). If you can’t force 5.1 on your PC, maybe just use DD. That is what I did with my PS4 before I swapped to PS5 and the option to override and force a configuration output showed up. 

OK so I did a recheck. Your right FishyD, I have the same PCM 7.1 issue and the channels are way off, and not accurate. I can not do DD on PC games, they are all in PCM, so I don’t know about forcing 5.1 LPCM (I don’t even know how to do it). In Windows, 5.1 and 7.1 are greyed out, only time sounds works is if i use “dolby atmos for home theatre” or Stero (showing as PCM 2.1). If I restart, for some reason i get option to do 5.1 or 7.1 select, but this produces no sound in my games and youtube. This is so frustrating….

what if scott has a beam connected to a TV with EARC? 

The Beam doesn’t support eARC though. So still no dice

Badge +1

I meant Sonos ARC.

Samsung Q70T has eARC HDMI connection which is connected to Sonos ARC or Beam. For Dolby Digital 5.1 content Beam is outputting Dolby Digital 5.1, however Sonos ARC is outputting Dolby Multi-Channel PCM 5.1. The chart is my test results with HDMI-eARC Mode setting to Auto and Turning it off. I don’t see the desired results using any method. I also have diagnostics numbers for helping t’shooting for Sonos team.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sounds like lpcm is working great on the Nintendo switch, thanks Sono's - now just to find an ARC in stock as most of the time it’s sold out in the stores in my town.

Has anyone managed to test if it works using a PC - so running an hdmi cable from your pc into the TV and setting TV to pass through audio and then right click on audio settings in windows and hopefully the 5.1/7.1 audio options are selectable and not greyed out? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for sharing all of your feedback everyone. We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

This is some bloody excellent news! That was a concern for at least a decent chunk of my non-streamed content.

Thanks, Ryan. Although you’ve said you don’t have exact timing - what we talking speculation-wise… weeks, months, years?