Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Now the update is out for the Sonos Arc, I want to make sure I’m getting the best audio.

Playing Atmos content seems to work fantastic now. I am very happy with the sound from the Arc, Sub and 2 Ones.

When I play videos that have 5.1 audio, my Sonos app reports Multichannel PCM 7.1. Is this a problem as from what I understand my setup is not 7.1 (for reference, I am using an Apple TV 4K, LG GX, Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 Ones)?

Cheers.

Badge +1

I’m guessing with the layoffs due to the pandemic LPCM will take longer.  I’m still not clear what LPCM will do for Apple TV owners.  That’s my only source of content.  My Sony X930E does provide atmos through Arc with the built in Prime app but not the Apple TV prime app.  Can anyone explain what LPCM will provide us with Apple TV?

I’m not aware of there being any mention of Sonos laying off staff? They’ve actually had a backlog of orders to process recently so I doubt that they’re having cashflow issues requiring layoffs. 

In any case - it looks like the latest app/firmware release yesterday (12.0.5) didn’t contain this LPCM support (as one would expect I suppose but just to confirm!) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did Sonos ever acknowledge the downmixing and volume level issues?

Badge +3

I’m an audio noob! So, would this fix the issue of audio sync being awful when using PS4 and Arc with Bitstream via eARC?

Yes!!!! Thanks Sonos! My Nintendo Switch does Multichannel PCM 7.1 now instead of stereo 2.0 :D

Good stuff!

Do you know if this is possible using apple tv 4k? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I don’t know how you could have missed the Sonos layoffs.  It’s been all over the news for a while.  The main moderator of these forums was let go.  There is a pandemic on.  No direct sales can compensate for the loss of all the retail. Their financials are available too since they are a public company and it’s not good.

Google Sonos layoffs then Sonos revenues.

Badge +1

I don’t know how you could have missed the Sonos layoffs.  It’s been all over the news for a while.  The main moderator of these forums was let go.  There is a pandemic on.  No direct sales can compensate for the loss of all the retail. Their financials are available too since they are a public company and it’s not good.

Google Sonos layoffs then Sonos revenues.

Fair enough - I’ve just done that and as you say I’ve found multiple articles confirming that. Must have missed that news somehow - I have been following the news less of late due to the levels of gloom to contend with to be fair. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Did Sonos ever acknowledge the downmixing and volume level issues?

Yes I believe so, I think someone on here tweeted the Sonos ceo and he responded that they are working on it, I may be wrong though.

Badge +1

Is LPCM = Dolby Multi-Channel PCM?

Badge +3

Actually, can anyone help? I just got a Sonos Arc. I have a TV with eARC. What’s the best settings? When on PS4 using Bitstream (Dolby), I get audio sync issues. My TV audio is set to “auto” not PCM or passthrough. Is this something that multichannel LPCM will fix eventually?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

12.1 is out but no mention it’s been resolved. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

LPCM not addressed in 12.1. Still open. 

Yes!!!! Thanks Sonos! My Nintendo Switch does Multichannel PCM 7.1 now instead of stereo 2.0 :D

Good stuff!

Do you know if this is possible using apple tv 4k? 

It is.

Thanks for answer. I do only get dolby digital 5.1 when using infuse, vlc, mrmc looking at mkv with dolby true Hd 7.1. Am I missing anything, thought this update would fix this. Happy for any help 

Actually, can anyone help? I just got a Sonos Arc. I have a TV with eARC. What’s the best settings? When on PS4 using Bitstream (Dolby), I get audio sync issues. My TV audio is set to “auto” not PCM or passthrough. Is this something that multichannel LPCM will fix eventually?

Set the TV audio to passthrough and leave the PS4 using bitstream .. it should then be fine.

Badge

@Basid786 that is really frustrating. I was hoping that somehow you could force your PC to output 5.1 LPCM like I did on PS5. Or make your motherboard convert the game’s PCM to DD for an output (this worked on PS4). I haven’t played PC games in a while so I’m out of the loop on sound setups there. 

Perhaps some kind of software could take over Windows control of audio output? Check out this thread. It is somewhat related (forcing 5.1 PCM output over HDMI). https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/77ixil/can_i_force_windows_10_to_output_51_pcm_to_my/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

The software is Equalizer APO. Never used it, no idea if it would work but there has to be a way on PC to do it somehow. 

Badge +3

Set the TV audio to passthrough and leave the PS4 using bitstream .. it should then be fine.

Ah. Thanks! I did originally have it set like that but live chatted with Sonos and they said set the tv to “auto”. Not sure why… will passthrough give me 5.1/Atmos etc? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’m guessing with the layoffs due to the pandemic LPCM will take longer.  I’m still not clear what LPCM will do for Apple TV owners.  That’s my only source of content.  My Sony X930E does provide atmos through Arc with the built in Prime app but not the Apple TV prime app.  Can anyone explain what LPCM will provide us with Apple TV?

Ah. Thanks! I did originally have it set like that but live chatted with Sonos and they said set the tv to “auto”. Not sure why… will passthrough give me 5.1/Atmos etc? 

Passthrough just means that .. the TV will let the audio passthrough the ports without trying to transcode it.. the ARC will get the audio, exactly as sent by the originating device and will play whatever it sends, as long as it’s supported by the Arc.

You can see what the input audio is, by going to the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/About my Sonos’ and find your Arc in the device list. You should see "Audio In" and next to that will be the audio it’s currently receiving/playing.

TV Passthrough is usually best as there are no interruptions to the audio… you only need use Auto if you want the TV to try to transcode the signal. Go for that option if you don’t hear any audio but that’s highly unlikely these days.

There are some issues with Apple TV4K sending multichannel LPCM audio, but Sonos say they are going to support that codec, but for now if using a multichannel LPCM source, just switch the originating device to send Dolby Digital 5.1 etc; until the Arc update is in place and it supports that codec.

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts here. I understand where you all coming from and as Ryan’s response we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. Ryan’s response has just been marked as the best answer for you to easily see and know that we addressed it. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

The problem is with this is that it's pretty much the same response you gave 4 months ago…

From your customers perspective you've done nothing over the last 4 months. Saying it's "going to be added" doesn't exactly instill confidence when we are already 4 months down the road and you have nothing to say or show for it.

In the other thread on this subject you will find a response from another Sonos staff member that confirms it’s in active testing and will be added in a firmware before end of year.

What thread?

Badge

I’m starting to regret preordering the Arc with basic functionality like this not being included. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing all of your feedback everyone. We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

This is excellent news. Which, using an HDMI splitter, would allow me to get DTS sound from my UB820 UHD Blu-ray player while watching on my LG E6 OLED, while also getting Atmos sound from the player and other set top boxes like my Apple TV. So long as I keep my TV, which doesn’t support Atmos passthrough or eARC it won’t be a perfect setup, but it would make me seriously consider selling my Playbar and making the upgrade to the Arc.

I do still wish Sonos would simply make the deal to get DTS going so I don’t have to consider the upgrade until I also upgrade my TV, but at this point I’ll take what I can get.

DTS limitations you can overcome with the unpack to lpcm feature every player (that I am aware of) has. The lack of DTS is a cosmetic issue, that lack of lpcm would have been a critical functional limitation.

Badge

Ok I’d best stop pressing update every hour.  

Badge

Easier if you tell me your settings because I’ve tried them all. Btw I am talking about the physical Apple TV  not the AppleTV+ app baked into webos. The app works because it supports bitstreaming where as the box uses LPCM which Sonos does not support to date. 

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts here. I understand where you all coming from and as Ryan’s response we will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will keep you all posted when we do. All threads are being addressed and checked here so creating a new thread is not necessary as this has been forwarded and being worked on. Ryan’s response has just been marked as the best answer for you to easily see and know that we addressed it. 

Appreciate your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

The problem is with this is that it's pretty much the same response you gave 4 months ago…

From your customers perspective you've done nothing over the last 4 months. Saying it's "going to be added" doesn't exactly instill confidence when we are already 4 months down the road and you have nothing to say or show for it.

In the other thread on this subject you will find a response from another Sonos staff member that confirms it’s in active testing and will be added in a firmware before end of year.

+1 which thread?

The Beam can only do stereo PCM (and DD5.1), at least for now.

Sonos is there any updates at all for the thousands of us waiting ? 
Thanks

Perhaps see this earlier post from Scott (Sonos Production Management):

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/multichannel-pcm-on-arc-6840185?postid=16452321#post16452321

It briefly mentions that Multichannel LPCM support is in development, which will then be tested.