Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

She did say she would pass it along to the development team, but I’m not optimistic that will lead to anything. She also said she was unaware of any threads in the community section on this and “couldn’t find” this thread, so definitely appears like Sonos is presuming the issue is not on their end.

What would be helpful from Sonos is them substantiating why the issue is not their software.

We seem to all be hearing that this is not a problem (or it would be happening to more people) but affected users never get the BECAUSE part.  i.e. “This is not a software problem BECAUSE we can see that the source device cut the sound due to a signal it sent to the Sonos device”. Or “This is a problem with your speakers BECAUSE we can see errors on the ARC”.  For some inexplicable reason, at current we receive “This is not a software problem. Thanks.”

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

How comes on this issue/thread, the Sonos team was happy to ask for short term testing to help diagnosing the issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

5min into fury road... 72701334 had to reboot app power cycle yada yada..  nothing to see here

She did say she would pass it along to the development team, but I’m not optimistic that will lead to anything. She also said she was unaware of any threads in the community section on this and “couldn’t find” this thread, so definitely appears like Sonos is presuming the issue is not on their end.

What would be helpful from Sonos is them substantiating why the issue is not their software.

We seem to all be hearing that this is not a problem (or it would be happening to more people) but affected users never get the BECAUSE part.  i.e. “This is not a software problem BECAUSE we can see that the source device cut the sound due to a signal it sent to the Sonos device”. Or “This is a problem with your speakers BECAUSE we can see errors on the ARC”.  For some inexplicable reason, at current we receive “This is not a software problem. Thanks.”

Has Sonos stated that it’s definitively not a software issue?  I’ve only seen responses that say they can’t reproduce the issue.  Granted, I haven’t read every page of this thread.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Has Sonos stated that it’s definitively not a software issue?  I’ve only seen responses that say they can’t reproduce the issue.  Granted, I haven’t read every page of this thread.

That's a very fair question. 

Sonos have remained fairly neutral in their responses. They have not explicitly ruled out a software issue, but neither have they offered any root-cause to why a subset of their customers are having an issue despite this thread and multiple support/diagnostics submissions.

I am certain this is challenging and specific edge case problem - which makes it hard to diagnose especially in lab type environments. But as mentioned before, there is a Sonos process to diagnose and resolve technical issues.  But the process is being followed and once it gets to the Engineers, contact is severed or responses are untenable. In my personal situation, I now have two dead ends despite Corey P’s statement of the process to follow and Sonos commitment to fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So you all know it's not just surrounds that has the issue my stereo 5's plus sub gen2 just had it

First right channel dropped then sub had to remove all and reset all speakers this is the second time this happened besides home theatre system 

Diagnostic number 638414953

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Sonos have remained fairly neutral in their responses. They have not explicitly ruled out a software issue, but neither have they offered any root-cause to why a subset of their customers are having an issue despite this thread and multiple support/diagnostics submissions.

I am certain this is challenging and specific edge case problem - which makes it hard to diagnose especially in lab type environments. But as mentioned before, there is a Sonos process to diagnose and resolve technical issues.  But the process is being followed and once it gets to the Engineers, contact is severed or responses are untenable. In my personal situation, I now have two dead ends despite Corey P’s statement of the process to follow and Sonos commitment to fix.

Just checking in. Some of my posts have been deleted (external links of where to complain - heck - I even got banned from one of those sites for complaining, lol!)

Can’t remember my last post but can confirm that I haven’t had a drop since I installed the sonos voice assistant and power cycled everything. It’s been over a week and it’s just working flawlessly with my TCL series 6 Roku tv. I have not, and will not reconnect my ATV 4k (said I would try it but I don’t want to mess it up - too tired of this).

Two Ones, two gen 3 subs and an Arc, all up to date (14.8.1 in app). Even reconnected my satellite back up (Asus zenwifi ax 6600) and haven’t had a problem. Only installed voice assistant on Arc.

Hope this post doesn’t get deleted. I don’t switch inputs, just use the Roku and it’s been solid.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Just checking in. Some of my posts have been deleted (external links of where to complain - heck - I even got banned from one of those sites for complaining, lol!)

Can’t remember my last post but can confirm that I haven’t had a drop since I installed the sonos voice assistant and power cycled everything. It’s been over a week and it’s just working flawlessly with my TCL series 6 Roku tv. I have not, and will not reconnect my ATV 4k (said I would try it but I don’t want to mess it up - too tired of this).

Two Ones, two gen 3 subs and an Arc, all up to date (14.8.1 in app). Even reconnected my satellite back up (Asus zenwifi ax 6600) and haven’t had a problem. Only installed voice assistant on Arc.

Hope this post doesn’t get deleted. I don’t switch inputs, just use the Roku and it’s been solid.

Unfortunately, I have an Arc SL. I'm ** out of luck.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Disabling eARC on my Samsung Q80T has made this stable for me for about 2 weeks now.

Before this I had drop outs multiple times per day. 

it’s a Band-Aid but it’s worth a try.

So I just was using the system. Action scene...loud booms and not...sub working great. Someone at the door. I pause. Five minutes later, unpause and sub is out. I submit a report, I call sonos and try and get then on the phone to look while the issue is happening. After being on hold for five, the sub is back when I unpause it. After about twenty minutes of the usual of blaming the wifi, it actually cuts I out while I have support on, but he keeps wanting to explain to me the basics of a sub and bass, while telling me when I'm on a scene with no action or loud noises, I wouldn't notice sound from the sub anyhow. When I explain I know how the sub works and it's not working right then, he goes into a lecture about the wifi. Like an idiot I pause and unpause it and it comes back. I tell him this occurred after the uodate and I get the second lecture that updates don't cause this, poor wifi causes this. I am about done. I'm glad everyone's wifi/router setup decided to take a crap all at the same time as the update. I'm also glad that apparently my router has decided that this system is the only thing I own that it is choosing to cut out.

Yeah it’s got nothing to do with the home wifi, as you said, everyone’s wifi didn’t suddenly get super congested or something at the same time, it was the 14.6 update.

Userlevel 1

I’m happy to hear you’ve been unaffected but I like to switch inputs between my ATV and my 4K blu ray and my gaming consoles. Every time I do it’s a gamble to see if the system stays stable or not and frankly there is no consistency. I’m sure if I never switched inputs I’d be in the same boat as you but I want to get the most out of my system that I’ve spent a lot of money on…

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I think when our Playbar bites the dust it will be a Sony HT-A9 for us.

Feel sorry for everyone on here with thousands invested and a broken system due to the 14.6 update.

Seems you won't get a speedy resolution.

Why the can't let people back onto 14.5 on a case by case basis is anyones guess.

Same issues, and heard it from hundreds of others. 

My set up 

Xbox series x 

Sub gen 3 

Two(1) sl's 

And arc 

I see Atmos on my Sonos app but the rears and sub does not work. Was never an issue prior to this update. 

I disconnected the ones, hard wired them to turn off the wifi and still nothing

I will be calling Sonos later today and screaming at them I'm beyond pissed. For them not to say it's a software update is bizzare. I didn't change s*** to my setup, as soon as the update hit I went searching for answers in the local FB group. Then was pointed to come here. And wallah same situations. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I will be calling Sonos later today and screaming at them I'm beyond pi**ed. For them not to say it's a software update is bizzare. I didn't change sh*t to my setup, as soon as the update hit I went searching for answers in the local FB group. Then was pointed to come here. And wallah same situations. 

You may find this link helpful in your case… I think it’s worth you reading some aspects of it, prior to any contact.

https://www.sonos.com/en-ie/legal/customer-guidelines

HTH

I will be calling Sonos later today and screaming at them I'm beyond pissed. For them not to say it's a software update is bizzare. I didn't change shit to my setup, as soon as the update hit I went searching for answers in the local FB group. Then was pointed to come here. And wallah same situations. 

So you are “p*ssed” about your first world luxury electronics, and your first instinct is to call up support and scream at the poor low level shmuck manning the line?  

And people wonder why they don’t get any satisfaction calling up a support line.  🙄

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I will be calling Sonos later today and screaming at them I'm beyond pissed. For them not to say it's a software update is bizzare. I didn't change shit to my setup, as soon as the update hit I went searching for answers in the local FB group. Then was pointed to come here. And wallah same situations. 

So you are “p*ssed” about your first world luxury electronics, and your first instinct is to call up support and scream at the poor low level shmuck manning the line?  

And people wonder why they don’t get any satisfaction calling up a support line.  🙄

Normally, your comment might be spot on, but throwing the term "luxury" in to try and minimize his anger at his hard earned money being pissed away and a company downplaying it is comical. And him saying he is going to scream is a result of the fact you can't get moved up the chain when you talk to these support employees. They deflect any of you issues. And sympathizing with the employees by calling them a schmuck is as hypocritical as the rest if your post.

Normally, your comment might be spot on, but throwing the term "luxury" in to try and minimize his anger at his hard earned money being pissed away and a company downplaying it is comical. And him saying he is going to scream is a result of the fact you can't get moved up the chain when you talk to these support employees. They deflect any of you issues. And sympathizing with the employees by calling them a schmuck is as hypocritical as the rest if your post.

I stand by every word I said.  People who scream at support people are the epitome of what’s wrong in this world.  Just because a person has to eat your crap, that doesn’t give you a license to feed it to them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I stand by every word I said.  People who scream at support people are the epitome of what’s wrong in this world.  Just because a person has to eat your crap, that doesn’t give you a license to feed it to them.

Screaming at support is definitely not the right way to go but it’s very far from the “epitome of what’s wrong in this world”. Perspective adjustment needed. Pretty sure support are trained to deal with how to handle/diffuse frustrated customers. Fundamentally, spending thousands on Sonos products that suddenly fail to work due to software/hardware failure is going to lead to frustration and annoyance when the company is not addressing the issue and its users in an appropriate manner.

Screaming at support is definitely not the right way to go but it’s very far from the “epitome of what’s wrong in this world”. Perspective adjustment needed. Pretty sure support are trained to deal with how to handle/diffuse frustrated customers. Fundamentally, spending thousands on Sonos products that suddenly fail to work due to software/hardware failure is going to lead to frustration and annoyance when the company is not addressing the issue and its users in an appropriate manner.

I suggest that one who abuses people who, for whatever reason, are unable fight back most certainly is a symptom of exactly what’s wrong in this world. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

look I’m frustrated too but paying money doesn’t entitle you to be a jerk

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I suggest that one who abuses people who, for whatever reason, are unable fight back most certainly is a symptom of exactly what’s wrong in this world. 

look I’m frustrated too but paying money doesn’t entitle you to be a jerk

I agree while at the same time I understand the frustration. Let’s not resort to hyperbole. We can all setup strawmen only to knock them down ourselves. I believe the individual in this forum was expressing his frustration. The blame for this frustration falls at the feet of Sonos who is failing hard to address this situation 49 pages into this thread. That’s where the focus should remain.

I agree while at the same time I understand the frustration. Let’s not resort to hyperbole. We can all setup strawmen only to knock them down ourselves. I believe the individual in this forum was expressing his frustration. The blame for this frustration falls at the feet of Sonos who is failing hard to address this situation 49 pages into this thread. That’s where the focus should remain.

Having seen threads like these (not this one, this one’s pretty tame . . . for now) devolve into claiming the loss of a controller is “like losing a loved one”, the bricking of a device “is like someone pulling the plug on your sick relative without your permission”, or (Gasp!) comparisons to Nazis and the Holocaust, I assure you hyperbole is not what I intended to bring to the thread. 

Though the fact that people can get that unhinged in their disappointment does leave me with no doubt that the poster was indeed going to scream at a low level support person.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Having seen threads like these (not this one, this one pretty tame . . . for now) devolve into claiming the loss of a controller is “like losing a loved one”, the bricking of a device “is like someone pulling the plug on your sick relative without your permission”, or (Gasp!) comparisons to Nazis and the Holocaust, I assure you hyperbole is not what I intended to bring to the thread. 

Though the fact that people can get that unhinged in their disappointment does leave me with no doubt that the poster was indeed going to scream at a low level support person.  

How this went from people trying to figure out a problem with a purchased product to you being a drama queen is anyone's guess. 

How this went from people trying to figure out a problem with a purchased product to you being a drama queen is anyone's guess. 

It started with the poster who claimed he was going to scream at a person on the support line, I thought that was quite obvious.  Don't want people calling you out for picking on those who can’t fight back?  Then don’t say you are going to pick on someone who can’t fight back.

And I’m not the first “drama queen” in this thread, not by a long shot.