Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

working directly with sonos support and submitting a diagnostic just results in them asking me to power cycle everything which of course fixes it temporarily but it just eventually comes back.

what else am I supposed to do?

Génial. Qu'est-ce que Sonos a dit en réponse à ces diagnostics?

D'après ce que je vois, peu de gens ont été aussi proactifs que vous, malheureusement.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sauf que je ne sais plus quoi faire pour que Sonos décide enfin de régler ce problème ! Alors oui désolé, je sais que vous ne travaillez pas chez Sonos, mais si vous avez lu le fil depuis le debut, vous seriez au courant que ce n’est pas un problème de réseau !! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

A part dire que ça vient de notre réseau, rien d’autres ! Alors vous avez une solution ????? 

I think you’ve done what you need to, at this point. What I would thing would help (or hearing about) is more people submitting their own diagnostics to Sonos, like you and @Flo14000 seem to have done. 

Right now, they’re claiming it’s not an issue in their software. They may be right, they could be wrong, I don’t know, but the more people who supply hard data, beyond the “me too” posts, will certainly help if it is indeed a Sonos issue. Bug reproduction in software is often a very difficult thing, and more so if the issue is in transmission across wifi, for instance. The more hard data provided, the better the chances of figuring out if this is indeed a software issue. Right now, Sonos is pointing at potential issues elsewhere.

In the past, when there has indeed been a software issue, they’ve owned up pretty quickly, and it took several weeks for them to get the bug ironed out, tested, and rolled out.  

Yelling at them in the forums, which is not what you’ve done, but others seem to be, is unlikely to help. Providing them hard data to prove the point, one way or the other, will always be a better path. And either support your contention, or allow them to point at other possibilities. 

Just as a note, that last time it was a serious bug in their software, there were thousands of posts in 24 hours. This current issue appears to be affecting fewer people, although there has been evidence of posts in other areas that would likely be less helpful to Sonos. 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help, I need help now from sonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I think you’ve done what you need to, at this point. What I would thing would help (or hearing about) is more people submitting their own diagnostics to Sonos, like you and @Flo14000 seem to have done. 

Right now, they’re claiming it’s not an issue in their software. They may be right, they could be wrong, I don’t know, but the more people who supply hard data, beyond the “me too” posts, will certainly help if it is indeed a Sonos issue. Bug reproduction in software is often a very difficult thing, and more so if the issue is in transmission across wifi, for instance. The more hard data provided, the better the chances of figuring out if this is indeed a software issue. Right now, Sonos is pointing at potential issues elsewhere.

In the past, when there has indeed been a software issue, they’ve owned up pretty quickly, and it took several weeks for them to get the bug ironed out, tested, and rolled out.  

Yelling at them in the forums, which is not what you’ve done, but others seem to be, is unlikely to help. Providing them hard data to prove the point, one way or the other, will always be a better path. And either support your contention, or allow them to point at other possibilities. 

Just as a note, that last time it was a serious bug in their software, there were thousands of posts in 24 hours. This current issue appears to be affecting fewer people, although there has been evidence of posts in other areas that would likely be less helpful to Sonos. 

thanks this is a good post. I’m a software developer myself so I empathize with both perspectives. at this point I’m just going to keep an eye on this thread and post diagnostics here directly as the issue happens to me

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ok Peterbault, Same for me ! 

I just spoke with Sonos support.  They admitted that there was an issue with the 14.6 update and that the developers are working on it.  Asked for that to be better communicated to the user base.  Also awaiting a callback from a manager to drive this point home...  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think you’ve done what you need to, at this point. What I would thing would help (or hearing about) is more people submitting their own diagnostics to Sonos, like you and @Flo14000 seem to have done. 

thanks this is a good post. I’m a software developer myself so I empathize with both perspectives. at this point I’m just going to keep an eye on this thread and post diagnostics here directly as the issue happens to me

Likewise, so I understand how frustrating it can be to pinpoint software issues. However I also know my own environment so know nothing has changed. I have a pfsense router with Ubiquiti Access Points. The Sonos equipment all have static IP addresses. I have also submitted a diagnostic a couple of days ago. 

When I spoke to technical support today, he didn’t even seem to know how networks worked! I’m now at the stage of just waiting until they admit it’s an issue at their end and a fix. Once that happens, I’ll turn of automatic updates.

Badge

If only they would have rollback functionality, people could try to verify and confirm the issue quickly just by getting back to the previous version… They are in the business for many years now and still haven’t learn this yet… :(

I dont have network issues and notice that I my sub is gone from time to time. I am also on version 14.6. Can put my hand to the speakers and do not feel the vibrations. It still shows in the app and when I switch it off in the app I get bass back from my sonos arc. Did a factory reset on all my speakers but the issue seems to be still there. Not the first issues I have and generally not very happy with the system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this the same problem that causes the loud ‘Popping’ noise and loss of sound when playing Dolby atmos sound with an Apple TV on my Arc+Sub?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

working directly with sonos support and submitting a diagnostic just results in them asking me to power cycle everything which of course fixes it temporarily but it just eventually comes back.

what else am I supposed to do?

I really hope the team will reconsider their statement. At first the said there was a problem and then they changed their mind. There is definitely something wrong here and it’s just unprofessional to put that on the users. It’s a shame because before the update, everything worked just perfectly for so long.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Update: I can replicate the issue when it resolves by going to AppleTV and clicking Settings > Audio Output > And selecting 'TV' (the name of th Sonos Arc speaker + 2x rear speakers grouping) instead of 'TV Speakers' (the default TV output, which is in-turn the same grouping). For some reason the audio is fine when AppleTV defaults to the 'TV Speakers' (its playing through the Sonos surround grouping, the arc and the two rears) but if you specify the 'TV' Sonos speaker in the output it turns the surrounds off or sets them to echo/fart. I then have to power cycle to get things working again.

Q: What are people’s audio output options on their AppleTV’s? Does changing this also replicate the failing audio issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just happened again for me. diagnostics: 882580853

I’m going to not power cycle anything and see if it eventually comes back 

@Corry P 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

just happened again for me. diagnostics: 882580853

I’m going to not power cycle anything and see if it eventually comes back 

It will come back even if you don’t power cycle after a few hours but then it will happen again.

Badge

Also having this problem. Sub wasn’t working and rear play:1’s dead. Sub is acting odd, booming mids as well as lows. Had to turn off and back on my boost twice now to fix things. Never seen to many issues with my setup as I have since upgrading to 14.6. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yep - I have been pulling my hair out about this.

I have had intermittent rear speakers, one (of my 2) subs going offline (with the other having really poor bass) and a generally unstable environment. I can pin point all of this when I upgraded to 14.6 - not a problem in the world before.

As it stands, the system is not fit for purpose. You don’t  spend 1,000s on a wireless surround system to mainly have 3 speakers not working almost most of the time.

I so wish there was the capability to downgrade. At the moment, there does not seem to be any official announcement from Sonos (well, not one that was not retracted later) and I am sitting with £2,500 of system with only the ARC working consistently.

All my contact with support (who to be clear, have been helpful) has pointed back at my network. But, frankly, it is not the network as I have been running persistent connection tests across the wireless LAN which do not break although the Sonos does.

I am somewhat miffed and slightly concerned that this issue is the end of my Sonos system….

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm having the same issue. Diagnostics sent: 1431124771

The bass is extremely poor, lose my surrounds and Sub every now and then. I have this issue on both my Nvidia Shield Pro and also on Apple TV 4K.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Update: I can replicate the issue when it resolves by going to AppleTV and clicking Settings > Audio Output > And selecting 'TV' (the name of th Sonos Arc speaker + 2x rear speakers grouping) instead of 'TV Speakers' (the default TV output, which is in-turn the same grouping). For some reason the audio is fine when AppleTV defaults to the 'TV Speakers' (its playing through the Sonos surround grouping, the arc and the two rears) but if you specify the 'TV' Sonos speaker in the output it turns the surrounds off or sets them to echo/fart. I then have to power cycle to get things working again.

Q: What are people’s audio output options on their AppleTV’s? Does changing this also replicate the failing audio issue?

I can’t replicate this, and my issue isn’t restricted to ATV. Happens on my x800m2 uhd player, and from TV as Source as well. Without touching anything, the rears will actually sound like they are disconnecting, one or both speakers.. or the sub will just stop, or the surrounds will — while watching content, with no change. 

power cycle and they are back to normal for awhile.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

update 14.6 killed my system

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has constantly been happening with my brand new Arc + 2 Gen 3 subs. I’m getting close to doing a full refund at this point.

Latest diagnostic: 934502327

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah same here, i am getting to the end of my 30 day returns window, bought the Arc, Sub and 2 surrounds and i am toying with the idea of returning. I have had too many issues with tech over my years where stuff has gone wrong or never updated and its cost me. Trouble is, no idea what to go with apart from seperates

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yeah same here, i am getting to the end of my 30 day returns window, bought the Arc, Sub and 2 surrounds and i am toying with the idea of returning. I have had too many issues with tech over my years where stuff has gone wrong or never updated and its cost me. Trouble is, no idea what to go with apart from seperates

It's so sad to hear this, as Sonos when working performs very well for a wireless system. 

I am staggered that the perception from Sonos is that the latest change is not the cause, despite so many people saying something has definitely changed since 14.6. I would be showing extreme concern over these latest posts and would at least acknowledge its something that is firmly under investigation.