Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Guess we keep bugging Sonos for a fix… 

Every poster in this thread has listed the TV settings menu as being the source of the problem.  What in the wide world of sports makes you think the settings in the TV menu are something Sonos can fix? 

Because people have reported not experiencing the same issues with non-Sonos products, i.e. Bose soundbars.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue with the LG C9 and a Samsung QLED.

With the Samsung it's even worse since very often when switching source (from cable TV to PS4 to some TV app like Netflix) the sound is completely lost, and I either have to change output to TV speakers (which jumps back immediately to the beam gen 2 and sometimes fixes it), or completely turn off and on the TV and sometimes this also works.

Extremely random and very disappointing for such a premium product.

It's unacceptable that I have to play around with the output settings every time I switch source because the Sonos beam goes silent on certain sources randomly.

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Every poster in this thread has listed the TV settings menu as being the source of the problem.  What in the wide world of sports makes you think the settings in the TV menu are something Sonos can fix? 

Badge +1

Amazed this is still an issue! 

Does anyone know if beam v2 is the same, if so I won't even bother looking at upgrading. 

Hi all, 

I bought a pair of Sony xm4 headphones yesterday and suffered the same issue, which had me thinking overnight. 

I think I have sussed out a work around to stop whichever Sonos sound bar cutting in, after a couple of seconds of Bluetooth headphone sound. Forgive me if this is elsewhere on the forum and I am repeating something that has long since been known. I just haven't read all of the stuff that's been posted but clearly from what I have read, it has remained an issue for some, as until this morning it was for me. 

Firstly, I own a ‘18 LG 65 wallpaper TV with which I found that switching off the Simplink hdmi cec toggle in All settings/general, then selecting Bluetooth device in the usual way the headset should connect and remain so. To revert to the soundbar turn Simplink back on. 

However and secondly, this did not work with my ‘21 LG 77 C1 set. I remembered from the initial TV set up, that there was a eArc toggle buried in settings and this turned out to be the key. 

Therefore;

All settings (3 vertical dots)/General/devices/hdmi setting, then toggle Simplink HDMI CEC to off. Then still in All Settings go to Sound/Advanced, scroll down to eArc and toggle off. 

Come out of ‘all settings’ then change sound source to Bluetooth and connect device in normal way. When you want to revert, first turn Simplink back on  and then toggle eArc to 'on’ (it won't work the other way around because eArc is greyed out. 

This is far from ideal and still requires some fannying about with settings but at least it's better than physically disconnecting power or hdmi cables which in my case and no doubt many, can be very awkward and in any case, I understand that  hdmi is not supposed to be routinely plugged in and out.

I haven't lived with doing this yet and it maybe that Simplink turns itself back on when the TV is turned on and off (the eArc will not btw) but hope this helps someone out. 

Following, same issue with LG C1 and Sonos ARC.  Wish I had known before the Sonos purchase. I would like some money back. We have some hearing issues here. I would like Atmos most of the time and would like my wife to be able to use bluetooth headphones when needed. 

I find even with eARC off and Simplink off if I accidentally touch the HDMI (ARC) sound out setting with the cursor it resets Bluetooth Device (Headphones) to ARC turning Simplink back on and hijacking the sound out to ARC. I can hardly scroll through the sound out settings, without Simplink and ARC turning back on. Anyways I just scroll carefully in the direction that avoids HDMI (ARC).  Pretty klugey. 

Kinda lazy of Sonos not to fix this, they sure worked hard enough on the rest of it.  If they were clever they’d launch their own bluetooth headphones that would integrate with their products and work, a line extension if you will to make a buck. 

Wow, just found this thread. I have the same issue with a sonos arc and an LG E9.

Very disappointed that Sonos didn’t fix the issue years after, that’s very poor for supposedly high end product.

You could just toggle ‘off’ ‘Simplink’ on the TV in your case - at least that’s all I have to do on my older C9. Then toggle it ‘on’ to restore connection to the HT on the HDMI-2 Arc/eARC port.

Wow, just found this thread. I have the same issue with a sonos arc and an LG E9.

Very disappointed that Sonos didn’t fix the issue years after, that’s very poor for supposedly high end product.

Seriously Sonos?  Are you guys STILL ***** the bed on this topic?  I mean you have THOUSANDS of people stating the same problem FOR YEARS! and you still haven’t fixed the issue?

Give us a freaking answer instead of telling us to unplug our equipment!  That is NOT a solution!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Ok this is a weird twist for you guys:

I’ve been enjoying my LG GX + Sonos surround (arc sub ones) during the day and just connect my Bose QC35 at night with no problem. For. Months. 

Well, until tonight.

I'm glad I found this thread but I’m sad there’s no answer! Again, it’s been working fine, no cec thing stealing and no disabling that on the tv options…

All I know is that tonight, I tried connecting my BT headphones while my show was already playing. It was a Netflix show in Dolby atmos.

oh gosh I’m sad and tired. I love the Sonos surround, but jeez.

edit: ok so turning eARC on and off made the problem disappear :) I’m back enjoying sound in my Bose and the Sonos surround is on. hope it helps someone!

Badge

Think I understand the issue now. I was disabling HDMI Simplink, but I still had eARC enabled in the sound settings - it evidently re-activates it if eARC support is enabled.

With eARC disabled, Simplink stays off. 

Indeed this is right👍

Think I understand the issue now. I was disabling HDMI Simplink, but I still had eARC enabled in the sound settings - it evidently re-activates it if eARC support is enabled.

With eARC disabled, Simplink stays off. 

I just double checked. Definitely re-activates for me, after a couple of seconds.

This is on an Xbox Series X → LG C1 → Sonos Arc. 

The Xbox is not relevant. This is the first time I’ve ever come across s TV where the HDMI-CEC protocol can’t be switched off - the LG C9 and B9 models both work fine - and once ‘off’ it should also disable ‘auto-power-sync’ and the user can then go to the sound out menu and select the sound out options - internal TV speaker, Optical, WiSA soeakers, Bluetooth etc.. I accept those outputs can’t be selected until CEC is off, but never seen a TV that re-enabled CEC by itself - that sounds like a faulty TV to me. 

If I switch off Simplink, the TV seems to re-enable it anyway, so even that isn’t a solution for me. I need to unplug the Arc altogether.

I like the smart plug idea further up the thread - thanks for that. That’s at least a semi-nice solution. 

That’s strange, I have two LG TV’s here and if I toggle off Simplink to use Bluetooth - it stays off with either a Beam or the Arc attached?

I just double checked. Definitely re-activates for me, after a couple of seconds.

This is on an Xbox Series X → LG C1 → Sonos Arc. 

If I switch off Simplink, the TV seems to re-enable it anyway, so even that isn’t a solution for me. I need to unplug the Arc altogether.

I like the smart plug idea further up the thread - thanks for that. That’s at least a semi-nice solution. 

That’s strange, I have two LG TV’s here and if I toggle off Simplink to use Bluetooth - it stays off with either a Beam or the Arc attached?

almost 2 years ago came across this problem ( LG 65 inch OLED + beam + airpods)

no resolution since then?

Unacceptable. 

Bad Sonos, bad.

Whether you were to switch off CEC control on Sonos, or deactivate ‘Simplink’ on the LG TV - it’s still means a user will have to interact with either the App, or the LG Settings to switch to Bluetooth audio output - As the LG TV already supports switching off ‘Simplink’, arguably, there isn’t anything that Sonos needs to fix here.

almost 2 years ago came across this problem ( LG 65 inch OLED + beam + airpods)

no resolution since then?

Unacceptable. 

Bad Sonos, bad.

My solution

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.  I control the smart switch via Apple Home but could be Alexa or Google controlled too.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  I could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical while the Sonos Arc was powered because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Turning off the Sonos Arc soundbar with the smart switch, the LG automatically switches back.   You can navigate back if needed to your Bluetooth option.

Why not choose to just switch off Simplink on the LG TV, rather than powering off/on your Arc? Would that not have been easier, particularly as you have to goto the TV settings anyway to switch to Bluetooth or TV/Optical audio-out.

Normally I don't need to do anything - the LG keeps my Optical output operating - Optical to my small Bluetooth transmitter

Turning On my smart switch brings back the Sonos Arc and the Optical/Arc switches automatically 

Gong through all the steps to turn off SIMPLINK more involved and a PITA

My solution

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.  I control the smart switch via Apple Home but could be Alexa or Google controlled too.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  I could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical while the Sonos Arc was powered because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Turning off the Sonos Arc soundbar with the smart switch, the LG automatically switches back.   You can navigate back if needed to your Bluetooth option.

Why not choose to just switch off Simplink on the LG TV, rather than powering off/on your Arc? Would that not have been easier, particularly as you have to goto the TV settings anyway to switch to Bluetooth or TV/Optical audio-out.

My solution

It’s a ‘feature’ of the HDMI-CEC spec. Connect your Beam via optical, or your headphones, and there won’t be that conflict. 

Optical option you will lose many other features of HDMI Arc including the Dolby Atmos feed (for Sonos Arc)

Well first... it's not switching from Bluetooth. The Beam is not a Bluetooth speaker, but I digress.

Chances are your TV or Cable box is still playing and the Beam is set to auto-play. So turn them off when listening to other audio, or check the Beam's room settings and disable auto-play.

Sorry you didn’t understand what I wrote.

I know the Beam isn’t a Bluetooth device, I didn’t say it was. I said I’m trying to play my TV audio via Bluetooth to my Bluetooth headphones. I can’t turn the TV off, because I’m using it with my Bluetooth headphones.

Perhaps I should just start again...

My TV is connected to the Beam via Arc. I’m trying to use my Bluetooth headphone with the TV (late at night, so I don’t disturb the household). When I go into the the TV’s menu and chose Bluetooth as the audio output it plays audio via the headphones for 2 seconds before it automatically switches back to the Beam. This is because the Beam is ‘always on’ (unlike other amps I have used).

What I am asking is - is there any other solution other then pulling the power or HDMI cable out of the Beam? (I know one solution is to change to optical, but I want to stick with Arc is possible).

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  Could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Thanks  only thing which makes me think is that Bose as far as I know doesn't have amplifiers and I have a bunch of external speakers. Without this I would have switched long ago