Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Here is some information on CEC, which includes many of the random names various companies use for it.

Note that “Simplink” is LG’s private name for industry standard CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Some TV’s will disable advanced sound modes when CEC is disabled. This behavior varies from model to model. Using a CEC blocker in the HDMI connection prevents the miscommunication while satisfying the TV that CEC is enabled. As far as the TV is concerned, its CEC commands are ignored and it never receives any CEC commands.

Badge

hi, yes that works using command on tv remote.

many thanks

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Badge

cec blocker available uk amazon 

anyone had any luck using this on e-arc hdmi on their tv ?

Moderator edit: link removed at request of author

Badge

Realise this thread is a bit old but came across it when I was searching for an answer to the same issue I am having and can confirm that the brand new Sonos Arc also has the exact same problem. Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

hi, just bought  BT headphones the BT switching to sonos arc HDMI e-arc still happens on my lgc559pla TV.

Etherial has a fixer that can simulate yanking the HDMI connection.

I looked up that product and it’s around $300! 

By the way the Kasa smart plug solution worked! Tried it out just now before bed. 

The Kasa smart plugs set is currently $26 for four of them on Amazon. I have several reserved for situations just like this. They’re also very convenient to have around in case you want to turn anything into a ‘smart’ item that turns on and off on a schedule or just from where you’re sitting/laying down.

This is not the automatic solution that you may have been looking for, but all you have to do is take out your phone and shut off the sonos with one button as soon as the Kasa app opens. 

Just a quick note you have to first turn off the Sonos speaker before you connect your bluetooth headphones. I had to delete the headphones from the TV for the first time for some reason, but after that it worked just fine. 

Etherial has a fixer that can simulate yanking the HDMI connection.

I’m going to try something that may be easier than physically unplugging.

Kasa sells smart plugs that do not require a separate hub, only Wi-Fi. I have a bunch of them around for lights, my coffee maker, and fans. There’s an app that lets you have a timer or schedule and allows you to turn it on an off from your phone. I’m going to plug the speaker into the smart plug so that I can simply turn on and off the speakers from the couch when I want to use my AirPods or my XBOX headset so I won’t wake up the baby when I watch TV or game.

Rather than physically unplugging the HDMI this is an option. I don’t see either Sonos or LG fixing this because honestly no one gives a f. It’s been years from browsing other posts in this and other forums. Will let you guys know how this works tonight!

What does the Securities Exchange Commission have to do with this?

Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.

This is a workaround not a solution 

It’s not a ‘bug’ per se, it’s the way CEC was written. Neither LG nor Sonos own CEC, they just use the specification as an implementation point. But since the CEC control (computer) is in the TV set, and the Sonos is merely a client to that, I’d start the discussion with LG. 

Then tell me why people don’t have the same issue with other sound systems..

its the way sonos is uses SEC so it IS their bug

FFS sonos just hire some descent developers or let ChatGPT check your code. These are bugs a startup company has not a company with years of experience.

if you want to run with the big guys, deliver quality on all parts. B&W are doing a way better job. With them you get and good software and a way better sound experience. Yes you pay the price. But if this isn’t getting fixed in a few months I will replace all of Sonos  crap with descent products

Has anybody tried an HDMI CEC-blocker in line with the EARC lead to the Sonos Arc? In theory it should stop the Arc switching the tv.

I tried one off Amazon (Lindy) for around £9 and has solved the problem. No longer auto switches back to the Arc automatically.

Has anybody tried an HDMI CEC-blocker in line with the EARC lead to the Sonos Arc? In theory it should stop the Arc switching the tv.

I am getting the same problem with a new LG OLED TV OLED77C2PSC.AAU and SONOS (Soundbar Beam [Gen 2]).

If I turn OFF HDMI-CEC on the TV, The Sonos soundbar turns HDMI-CEC back ON within a few seconds.

I was able to fix this problem by setting [eARC Support]=Off before setting [SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)]=Off

For Headphones
1. [...]->[Sound]->[Advanced Settings]->[eARC Support](at bottom)=Off
2. [...]->[General]->[Devices]->[HDMI Settings]->[SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)]="Off" (Will goto TV speaker)
3. Mute TV speaker
4. [...]->[General]->[Sound]->[Sound Out]->[Use Wired Speaker]="Optical Out Device"

For Soundbar
1. [...]->[Sound]->[Advanced Settings]->[eARC Support](at bottom)=Off
2. [...]->[General]->[Sound]->[Sound Out]->[Use Wired Speaker]="HDMI(ARC) Device"

Still far too complicated, compared to simply replacing the SONOS Soundbar with another vendors sound bar.

I am getting the same problem with a new LG OLED TV OLED77C2PSC.AAU and SONOS (Soundbar Beam [Gen 2]).

If I turn OFF HDMI-CEC on the TV, The Sonos soundbar turns HDMI-CEC back ON within a few seconds.
So it is is impossible to switch to the Optical Output for headphones, …
(Other than disconnecting the HDMI ARC cable physically)

There is no setting on the SONOS app to disable Sonos automatically tuning HDMI-CEC ON.

Very annoying, Given this problem has NOT been resolved in the past 2-3 years, I will be returning my SONOS Soundbar and giving bad reviews wherever possible.

There appear to be NO response from SONOS support on this forum.

I found a solution for most streaming services at least :)

Won’t work for live TV though.

Buy a Roku, I have a Roku Ultra which is great when using the arc. All of the Rokus have the streaming services: Netflix, Disney, Apple TV etc.

Link your headphones to the Roku. When you want to use them switch them on,  and select. All done! Sonos  out of the frame

It’s not a ‘bug’ per se, it’s the way CEC was written. Neither LG nor Sonos own CEC, they just use the specification as an implementation point. But since the CEC control (computer) is in the TV set, and the Sonos is merely a client to that, I’d start the discussion with LG. 

I did and it worked fine, but honestly for me its not the best “solution”. As you know eARC gives you better audio quality, and lets see an example: 

I use my headphone and if I would like to swith from headphones back to the soundbar its automatically turn on the simplink again, which means I have to do the same settings again if I would like to use my headphone ----- go to HDMI settings turn off simplink and after that, I will be able to change my audio output--- and it is so elaborate. Tried with LG soundbar and it is worked perfectly, nothing has had to be changed.

By the way thanks for your time and advice but I sent it back, that is not how it’s supposed to work. Nobody could say if this is an LG or Sonos software bug, because it is a bug 

My LG C9 TV works fine switching from Sonos to headphones/Optical/etc...

Just turn on eARC in additional settings

I have a LG C2 TV with Arc bought last week, and the same problem here. I am not able to turn off the simplelink while my Arc is connected via eARC port, its automatically switch back on. Its only works when disable eArc function on the TV an after I was able to turn off the HDMi-CEC function. For me it’s a big disappointment.

LG suggestion was to have the Arc connected via Optical port and will have no problem but for me it’s just meh… Atmos is not supported via optical port, but if I keep the Arc I have to accept that I wont be able to use for example Bluetooth headphone or etc.. nonsense :(. Actually it is related just with Lg C2 and Arc so its model related within a brand...

Hello there. It’s funny that when I’ve read the thread and it was 3yo when started I was sure that by the end of the thread an anew solution would come oute.(maybe it’s like the build in Alexa they have and it’s like only for 5countries?😀

Overall their products are very good I have to say that!

I used to have 1 beam and 2 ones while now I bought a new tv (QNED 86inch 866).

I did what TD2014 said(as the latest solution but nothing happened ofc)

I am testing it with Airpods Pro2.

is there any solution this could fixed with Apple TV?(highly doubt it but HAD TO ASK😂)

I guess I won’t be able to watch movie or play PS while my newborn is sleeping.

I can live with that but would be so good if i could

Hi there - 

Also, a very simple solution I discovered: make sure eARC is turned on. Was having the same issue with my LG/Sonos ARC after I unplugged and restarted some things. I noticed eARC was turned off and when I turned it back on, it stopped switching from Bluetooth to Soundbar.

Steps on LG TV: All Settings > Sound > Additional Settings > Turn on eARC at the bottom.

Then Sound Out > Bluetooth.

Should stick. Hopefully works for you too!

I am amaized that 3+ years and sonos could not connect their own product to a tv and try to replicate this, to see the issue themselves? I had my same experience and i imagine others will continue to have it! All smart tv pwners will see how bad sonos products are due to this 1 bug! Unless they dont set up another audio output.

It’s not a Sonos bug, it’s a TV bug.  My Toshiba Fire TV works just fine switching from Sonos to headphones and back.  My Samsung requires me to turn off CEC, and other people report they can’t switch back and forth at all for other brands of TVs.  So if it works 3 different ways with 3 different TV’s, it isn’t Sonos causing the problem. 

I am amaized that 3+ years and sonos could not connect their own product to a tv and try to replicate this, to see the issue themselves? I had my same experience and i imagine others will continue to have it! All smart tv pwners will see how bad sonos products are due to this 1 bug! Unless they dont set up another audio output.