Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by chucky999 12 August 2019, 04:10

View original

212 replies

A workaround using fiber is no option for me because the Sonos ARC does not support fiber :-(

There’s an optical to HDMI-ARC adapter included with every Arc. 

Which workaround using fiber are you speaking of? I thought the workaround was using optical for the connection between the TV and the Sonos Arc? The Arc ships with an optical to ARC adapter, as far as I know.

A workaround using fiber is no option for me because the Sonos ARC does not support fiber :-(

Hi,

I opened a ticket at LG. This is the feedback I received (translated via google from german to english):

My request:

Ladies and Gentlemen

I recently purchased an LG TV "OLED65C39LC". I use Simplink and have connected the TV to a Sonos ARC. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to change the audio settings so that you can either use the TV's speakers or use a headset connected to the TV via Bluetooth.

I would like to continue to use the CEC function in conjunction with a Sonos ARC, as I normally use the Sonos ARC for audio output. In the evening, however, I would prefer to use a headset that is connected to the LG TV via Bluetooth.

Problem: Every time I switch to audio output “headset”, the TV resets the settings back to HDMI ARC (Sonos ARC) after 2-3 seconds. The problem has already been described by people in various forums and has existed for more than 3 years. I find it disappointing that a product like the OLED65C39LC also has this problem - even considering the very high price.

Deactivating the Simplink function is not a solution either! I don't understand why LG hasn't implemented the feature so that the audio settings that you set manually don't remain permanently configured.

I hope that LG finds a solution here and offers it to us customers.

The Feedback:

Dear Mr. x,

Thank you very much for contacting LG Electronics Deutschland GmbH.
- Due to the CEC control, the HDMI-ARC connection is always prioritized and functions normally. I can't offer any solution other than interrupting HDMI.

A direct reply to this email is not possible. If you would like to contact us again, please open a new ticket using the contact form. If you have any further questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Best regards

x

I have the same problem with a OLED65C39LC in combination with a Sonos ARC. I personally see the problem on LG side.

Helpful

I can’t believe the Sonos Beam Gen 2 doesn’t have Bluetooth ability.  Wow, I just paid $500 for a soundbar that doesn’t even do what the cheap one it replaced did.  I was going to blast some Spotify tunes from my phone.  SO DISAPPOINTED!

I don’t really understand why you would ever want to use a Bluetooth connection to blast out your Spotify tunes, when you can use local WiFi and Spotify ‘direct control’, or even the Sonos App/Spotify in-built service …and listen to your tunes in higher quality audio playback, that’s way-more reliable than a Bluetooth connection, as it involves a ~75ms buffer for audio-reliability, that can be used to sync the audio playback on up-to 32 Sonos devices?

I can’t believe the Sonos Beam Gen 2 doesn’t have Bluetooth ability.  Wow, I just paid $500 for a soundbar that doesn’t even do what the cheap one it replaced did.  I was going to blast some Spotify tunes from my phone.  SO DISAPPOINTED!

Appreciate the feedback.

Though switching off cec should also not be necessary in my opinion. Probably will tryout a Samsung audio set-up and if that sounds satisfactory without problems switching to headphones (and no cec workarounds) , I'll probably move away from sonos (for Tv at least, already have a 2.1 sonos for many years for music which i'll keep) 

It’s a feature of almost every TV that I’ve ever encountered and I’ve helped a few members of my family and some friends with their TV’s and Soundbars/Home Theatres in the last few years - CEC when used with ARC/eARC needs to be switched off to allow the TV to use a different audio output - like Bluetooth, Optical, Headphones etc. I would definitely go speak to LG 

I’m not sure if this may help as it’s probably a different WebOS version, but on my OLED C9 TV I have to goto ‘Settings/Connection/HDMI Device Settings” to disable it - it’s the same area where you should see auto-power-sync, which is another feature of CEC control.

Appreciate the feedback.

Though switching off cec should also not be necessary in my opinion. Probably will tryout a Samsung audio set-up and if that sounds satisfactory without problems switching to headphones (and no cec workarounds) , I'll probably move away from sonos (for Tv at least, already have a 2.1 sonos for many years for music which i'll keep) 

@Ken_Griffiths

Hi, i definitely not the only one with an LG that can't switch off simplink while the beam is connected through arc. .If you read through the whole thread,, many people mentioned it already. If you swifch simplink off, it automatically switches back on within seconds.That is when the beam is connected.

Then I would most definitely contact LG Support because that sounds like a design-fault/firmware issue that needs correcting on their part - you can quote the fact that their OLED55C9PLA, LG 24TQ510S-PZ or TV28MTS48S TV’s do not do this and correctly allows the CEC Protocol to be disabled to enable all other audio outputs, either with, or without, any soundbar (including Sonos Beam & Arc) attached to their HDMI2-ARC/eARC port. 

I have two other TV’s from both Samsung and Sharp that are at a different location that also allow the CEC protocol to be disabled when a Sonos Beam is attached.

This is an issue for the TV manufacturer to resolve, as many soundbars these days correctly use the ARC/eARC (Audio Return Channel) for sound-out and it should always be the case that another audio output source can be selected in the TV settings, by disabling Simplink/CEC.

This has nothing to do with Sonos - it’s down to the TV manufacturer.

@Ken_Griffiths

Hi, i definitely not the only one with an LG that can't switch off simplink while the beam is connected through arc. .If you read through the whole thread,, many people mentioned it already. If you swifch simplink off, it automatically switches back on within seconds.That is when the beam is connected.

@Pcl007abc 

It must be the first LG TV model then that doesn’t allow the user to switch off ‘Simplink’ - So you are likely best to speak to LG. I have three models of LG TV around our Home and every one of them will only switch to its Bluetooth output when the CEC protocol is disabled and I have no issue disabling it on any of the three LG TV’s, with either a Beam, or Arc, connected to the HDMI-2 port.

Issue still persists

LG G3 oled + sonos beam gen 2

Cannot even switch off cec/simplink on my lg

Problem has been going on for years. ** terrible support for such a premium brand.

This is a reason to return my sonos set-up

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

I have two different brand televisions equipped with Sonos.  One can switch between Bluetooth, internal speakers, and Sonos via ARC easily, with no disabling of CEC.  The other requires disabling CEC.   Can you explain how Sonos’ “broken CEC implementation” is at fault for that?  

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

Which means switching off CEC - same if you use Bluetooth headphones or BT speaker with the TV - you need to switch it off when you’re done using it. There is nothing wrong with how Sonos works when using the audio return channel and CEC control… the TV settings cater for the switching between input/output already. So there is nothing that needs fixing here.

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Guess we keep bugging Sonos for a fix… 

Every poster in this thread has listed the TV settings menu as being the source of the problem.  What in the wide world of sports makes you think the settings in the TV menu are something Sonos can fix? 

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Presumably it’s any device designed to connect to the TV ARC/eARC port that makes use of the CEC protocol. Usually (in most cases) it’s just a case of switching off CEC on the TV to then allow access to all other audio outputs.

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

You would be best to discuss this matter with the manufacturers customer support desk - maybe give them a call. I have their C9 TV and that switches off Simplink with no issue and it stays switched off allowing the audio output to be changed. It might be the case that the TV firmware needs an update, but perhaps see what LG say about the matter.

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

If AnyNet/CEC is disabled, then ARC is also disabled (so Sonos can’t be used as an audio output via HDMI).

Correct…You should not (hopefully) need CEC enabled if you’re switching the audio-output to anything other than the connected soundbar. Just switch AnyNet+ back on later to use the Arc.

If AnyNet/CEC is disabled, then ARC is also disabled (so Sonos can’t be used as an audio output via HDMI).

I have the same problem with a Samsung TV. It doesn’t matter what other sound output I select, it switches back to Sonos Beam immediately after.

Maybe see if switching off AnyNet+ first in the TV settings …and then switching sound-output will work for you.

I have the same problem with a Samsung TV. It doesn’t matter what other sound output I select, it switches back to Sonos Beam immediately after.