Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Simplink is the LG term for CEC. Samsung calls it Anynet, Sony calls is Bravia link (I think). Turning off CEC temporarily will solve this.

The jury is still out on this being a Sonos fault or just an effect of Sonos adhering to the CEC specs. There does seem to be anecdotal evidence other manufacturers soundbars do implement CEC differently than Sonos does on this point.

Hi all, How about this method of switching Bluetooth?

Try switching between both when using Bluetooth sound, it's just a few steps, so ease your mind.

Go to Advanced Settings > Connections
Click on Device Settings Configuration
- Turn off the simple link
- Remove sonos in universal control

- Not used, but removed just in case

Reasons:

Turn off the convenience feature that sonos automatically activates

Click on sound

- Turn off eARC in additional settings

Reasons:

Simple Link will not start automatically the next time the power is turned on.

I use Air pod pro with lg OLE48cx and tried it with beam(gen2),thanks.

Supplementation.
If you wish to return to the sonos soundbar, please reverse this procedure.
When ARC is selected, Simple Link is automatically turned on.
This is probably because there are frequent problems with no sound if it is left off, so it is necessary to turn on the path so that there are no problems with manual connection in any home.
I am Japanese and not affiliated with LG or Sonos, but I would like to try the IKEA rear speakers from now on.

regards.

Hi all, How about this method of switching Bluetooth?

Try switching between both when using Bluetooth sound, it's just a few steps, so ease your mind.

Click on Device Settings Configuration
- Turn off the simple link
- Remove sonos in universal control

- Not used, but removed just in case

Reasons:

Turn off the convenience feature that sonos automatically activates

Click on sound

- Turn off eARC in additional settings

Reasons:

Simple Link will not start automatically the next time the power is turned on.

I use Air pod pro with lg OLE48cx and tried it with beam(gen2),thanks.

I have the exact same issue. Very disappointed with Sonos. They could at least clealry communicate on this issue...

Yeah same here. This is a ridiculous issue. My previous soundbar didn’t have this issue, and I am considering returning my Beam.

the solution is also not working in my C1, CEC is immediately turned back on automatically by the Beam.

any other solutions out there?

I have the exact same issue. Very disappointed with Sonos. They could at least clealry communicate on this issue...

Had the same issues here - Sonos beam (GEN1) connected to OLED LG G2 with HDMI ARC, well recognized by the TV.

1. When connecting Bluetooth device (e.g. Apple Airpods Pro), it switches back to BEAM after a couple of seconds. Same when selecting the TV speakers, it switches back to BEAM automatically.
    ==> could not find any better alternative/solution than to turn off the CEC/Simplink in the TV settings to prevent the BEAM from taking control over the other audio devices/tv speakers.
    Not optimal solution though (because it forces you to change some TV settings before switching from BEAM to bluetooth device), but I can live with it.
  1. When connecting other HDMI devices (e.g. satellite box) to the TV, it switched back to TV speakers. When selecting back again the BEAM as audio output, no sound coming out from the BEAM.
    Seems to be a conflict in HDMI ports, due to the CEC thing.
    I purchased a CEC less adapter on Amazon, connected it to the satellite box, and now it all works perfectly.

Obviously when buying these products (TV, soundbars, etc...) you don’t expect to encounter these kind of issues (I spent quite some time reading forums, also discussed over the phone with LG customer service, etc...), and you expect the manufacturers to solve this (be it TV manuf, Sound device manuf… I don’t care).
But in the end there are some workarounds that can be found.

Still, hope this helps for those who are still having issues.

Can you link what adaptor you use? 

this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI-CEC-Less-Adapter/dp/B07BFL8TM8

but this one is also advised as alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

Badge

It does baffle me this is still an issue. A simple On/Off button in the App would fix it. When you update the Arc it looses connection to the TV. So the mechanism of the Arc not ‘being connected’ exists. They just need to make it a button.

Sonos is acting like a web browser: it wants to be the default sound output. 

I found a simple solution: I returned it to Costco.

Userlevel 2

Had the same issues here - Sonos beam (GEN1) connected to OLED LG G2 with HDMI ARC, well recognized by the TV.

1. When connecting Bluetooth device (e.g. Apple Airpods Pro), it switches back to BEAM after a couple of seconds. Same when selecting the TV speakers, it switches back to BEAM automatically.
    ==> could not find any better alternative/solution than to turn off the CEC/Simplink in the TV settings to prevent the BEAM from taking control over the other audio devices/tv speakers.
    Not optimal solution though (because it forces you to change some TV settings before switching from BEAM to bluetooth device), but I can live with it.
  1. When connecting other HDMI devices (e.g. satellite box) to the TV, it switched back to TV speakers. When selecting back again the BEAM as audio output, no sound coming out from the BEAM.
    I purchased a CEC less adapter on Amazon, connected it to the satellite box, and now it all works perfectly.

Obviously when buying these products (TV, soundbars, etc...) you don’t expect to encounter these kind of issues (I spent quite some time reading forums, also discussed over the phone with LG customer service, etc...), and you expect the manufacturers to solve this (be it TV manuf, Sound device manuf… I don’t care).

Can you link what adaptor you use? 

I have 3 Samsung TVs, one with Arc, one with Amp, one with Beam. All have the problem, if I select a Bluetooth headphone or TV speakers, they revert back to Sonos within 2 seconds.

it is terrible, Sonos, if you cannot fix it, it would be appreciated that you write why in this thread 🙏

It’s a Sonos issue. I also have a Yamaha soundbar. I swapped the soundbars to troubleshoot and no issue switching to Bluetooth when I use the Yamaha soundbar. My TVs are a Samsung UN82MU8000 series and a Sony XBR-75X850E.

Same issue here (some 2+ YEARS later) with Sonos Arc on Samsung Q80R’s ARC HDMI connection. Change sound output to Bluetooth device and the Sonos Arc steals the sound back in a few seconds, if not immediately. VERY frustrating.

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this. There are lots of your customers who need to listen to their TV audio from more than just the Sonos device connected via HDMI cable. This is a game changer for me and I’m heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem, yet this gives me pause.

It’s not Sonos, it’s Samsung.  I have a Samsung TV which will do this all the time, whereas my Toshiba will stay on Bluetooth as long as I want it to. 

Same issue here (some 2+ YEARS later) with Sonos Arc on Samsung Q80R’s ARC HDMI connection. Change sound output to Bluetooth device and the Sonos Arc steals the sound back in a few seconds, if not immediately. VERY frustrating.

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this. There are lots of your customers who need to listen to their TV audio from more than just the Sonos device connected via HDMI cable. This is a game changer for me and I’m heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem, yet this gives me pause.

Maybe try first toggling off CEC (AnyNet+) on the TV, that usually allows a user to then switch inputs.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Stumbled across this thread when trying to do the same as everyone else - use some bluetooth speakers so as not to disturb the wife.    And now I understand what is happening, and noting that this has been around for several years, wondered why no-one has suggested another solution that I have been pleading for Sonos to do for even more years - have some wireless headphones that are another Sonos node?    Using a Connect /Port to provide that functionality is completely expensive overkill and still not seamless.   Since most of my Music is played now via Sonos (although I do play my Vinyl direct) everytime I want to use headphones its a faff, and now it seems also if I want to watch someting on TV via Headphones.   wake up someone at Sonos, there have been rumours but nothing yet….

I disabled HDMI-CEC function, or Anynet+ on my Samsung QLED settings so that my Sonos Arc is no longer the default speaker, and I could use my BT headphones. But in doing this, is there a way to use BT headphones AND get sound from the tv speakers at the same time? I want 2 people to be able to watch tv, with 1 getting sound from headphones, and the other from tv speakers. Or, is the answer, as some have indicated on this forum, to purchase a Sonos optical adapter and plug my Sonos Arc into the Optical port? Will that enable 1 to listen to BT headphones and the other to listen to Sonos simultaneously? Is there any downside to using the Optical for the Sonos speaker?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you. Anynet+ is Samsung speak for HDMI-CEC. The solution you found has been mentioned before.

Found a fairly simple fix to this issue on my Samsung QN50Q80AAF with the Sonos Arc. Basically a Samsung 50 inch QLED purchased in 2022. 

after hooking up and setting up the Sonos Arc, I too could not successfully switch to my Bluetooth receiver setup, which is how I listen with headphones. Turns out you can just got to Settings—>External Device Manager—>Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). You turn this feature off and it will no longer automatically switch to Sonos Arc constantly, but you also don’t have to turn off or disconnect Arc. Can connect to Bluetooth as usual.

when you want to turn Arc on again, you go back to the Anynet+ setting and turn it back on. Sonos Arc hooks back up.

I have Sonos connected to the HDMI 2 eArc output.

Perhaps would work on other Samsungs?

My C1 will not allow me to manually switch off HDMI CEC so this does not work for me. If i unplug the Arc power lead, i need to reinstall it in the app when reconnected. However, unplugging the HDMI lead from the back of my Arc (which is eay to access in front of my tv) allows me to use ear buds, which auto connect as soon as i open the case. When movie time is over, i simply  plug the HDMI back in and the arc becomes the default sound output again. Annoying problem , simple workaround

Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.

Just researched the same problem….best solution I found was to add the optical adapter to the HDMI cable and plug into the optical port on my TV (Samsung 7000) instead of the HDMI-CEC (ARC) port.  This is good and bad….good in that the TV will recognize when I put my bluetooth headset on (Bose Quietcomfort ear buds) and start playing through them automatically (and it fixes the problem you mention above)….bad because it requires a manual step to put it back to using the Beam...when I turn off my bluetooth headset, the sound begins to play through both my TV speakers and the Beam...have to use the settings in the TV and select the Optical source again to get it to just play through the Beam.  Oh and if you do this, not sure it would matter but be sure to turn off your HDMI-CED selection.

I switched a few days ago from a Bose SoundTouch 300 and Acoustimass to the Arc with the Sub. Way back when I bought the Bose setup I had the same issues that I do have now with the Arc.

Back then Bose added a button within the Bose App “HDMI-CEC” or something similar to toggle on and off. By toggling it off the issues were GONE. I was able to watch TV and listen to Audio via Bluetooth on the headphones while the Bose was doing something else (e.g. playing music / doing nothing at all), without the bar switching between inputs.

So there is no doubt that this is purely a Sonos issue. TV: LGB7D by the way. Hasn't changed. 

This is super annoying. 

Please get a fix going Sonos!

Userlevel 7

Hi @alephsmith 

If you read @Airgetlam’s post closely (just above yours) you’ll come to realize there is “no spec for CEC implementation”. What that means is unlike Bluetooth or  WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax) there is no governing body that sets the standard.

Long story short the implementation CEC is not broken as there is no spec to break. It’s an open technology (and may be taking a few liberties with the aforementioned wording) that TV manufacturers incorporate into their products in a manner that best suites their needs.

So a fix as you stated would take a gathering similar to the United Nations for TV manufacturers. LOL 😂 

That said… one can only hope 🤔

This is a pretty disappointing issue to have encountered with my Sonos system.

This was not an issue when using my old cheap Yamaha sound bar.

Temporarily disabling HDMI-CEC does work, and I have found that you can add this toggle to the “quick settings” in WebOS (appear when you single click the gear icon⚙).

I read with interest that Samsung might let you disable automatic HDMI switching and I hope that LG implements this. I personally would prefer to select an input rather that have it automatically selected.

If this issue is a “feature of the CEC spec” then there something is really broken I the spec.

Yea, to be honest, it’s been seemingly hundreds of years since I did any actual electrical engineering, and much of that was before the existence of CEC, so my understanding of the spec is probably rudimentary at best. 

The joy of the whole thing is that there doesn’t appear to be any “enforcement” function in the spec, so each manufacturer has modified it slightly (in my most humble opinion) to match their own needs….giving priority to their own hardware over someone else’s. So it wouldn’t particularly surprise me that a feature that works on one line of TVs may or may not function on a previous year’s, or different line of TVs. 

It’d be nice if we all played well together, but that doesn’t work for many companies, who want to maximize their own profit over being easy to use with a bunch of random other hardware. Yea, I’m cynical that way :)

Always happy to share my (tainted) views. Having previously worked for Sony (albeit in a games division), I’m always fascinated by the frisson between “we need to work with everyone” and “we need to have/own Betamax/DAT/MiniDisc/ATRAC/MemoryStick/UMD formats that are under our control, and no, you can’t use them without our express consent”. From a corporate perspective, I get the “our company needs to own the market place”, but from a user perspective, I much prefer the “I can use X from company Y, and Z from company AA, and they’ll work well together”. 

Shoot, look at how none of the various networked speaker companies, including Sonos, allow you to mix and match in their home theater products :)