Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

213 replies

Thanks  only thing which makes me think is that Bose as far as I know doesn't have amplifiers and I have a bunch of external speakers. Without this I would have switched long ago

All TV’s work with BOSE’ and not Sonos. That hurts. 

Case closed. You have a clear choice now. 

Sonos sells well 2nd hand on ebay. 

Same here, Samsung TV, no issue with a bose bar, problem is sonos which keeps reconnecting itself... Really annoying not to see any fix after all this time 

Same issue here: LG GX TV, Sonos Arc, Airpods Max. When connecting the Airpods Max via bluetooth to the GX TV, I get 2 secs of sound then the HDMI ARC connection takes over. The temporary solution I found was to toggle HDMI eARC off and then on in the TV sound settings.

STOP telling people to open tickets with LG, Samsung, Sony. ETC. The common product is Sonos

I tested and can confirm the BOSE Sound Touch 300 works perfectly with my Samsung Q80 75in and Samsung buds. Then I swap back to Sonos ARC and it fails. Same cable, same TV same Buds same port.  

Sonos, you are a premium product. Why does Bose work? 

Badge +1

SAME PROBLEM.

Samsung 2021 Smart TV.  Sonos won’t allow the bluetooth to stay active … it just steals it right back.  The only solution is to turn off the sonos.  Once I disable the sonos HDMI, then the TV reverts back to TV sound and I can once again swap between sound modes without problem.

This is a SONOS problem, as I’ve tried multiple configurations between HDMI, Bluetooth, Optical, and TV … and the only time this happens is with Sonos Beam.

This needs to be fixed or I’m going to start linking every Sonos and TV review I can find to this thread so people are aware of losing their access to bluetooth if they opt for a Beam.  Sorry for sounding frustrated, but this has taken hours of my life trying to fix it and it looks like it has been a problem for years, based on this thread.

I have the same issue with Sonos Beam connected to a Samsung TV model The Frame 2019.  
I can’t use Bluetooth headphones, unless I disable HDMI-CEC. 
Sonos, please fix this issue 🙏

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

Same issue here for me - recently purchase a brand new LG G1 65’ with a Sonos ARC + Sub Gen 3. 

Trying to set the G1 to use a pair of wireless headphones using Bluetooth whilst the ARC is connected using eARC.

The ARC keeps forcing the audio out connection back to itself. The Bluetooth connection to the headphones disconnects after about 1-2 seconds when it reverts back to the Sonos ARC as the audio output device.

I understand that this is how HMDI-CEC is meant to work but have tried everything to stop this behaviour, even setting the TV to optical out but the ARC just keeps taking over.

Things I’ve tried:

1. Disable QuickStart+
2. Disable eArc Support
3. Change Audio Output to Optical
4. Disable HDMI-CEC (reverts back to Simplink On after a few seconds)

Basically no way to connect headphones whilst power is on to the ARC and connected to the TV over eARC. Really annoying problem….

I reached out/logged a ticket via Online chat this morning but was also advised that there isnt a solution to this problem and to try contact LG. I have opened a case with LG but I dare say this is a problem with Sonos looking through this thread.

Please fix this :( its not unrealistic for people to want to watch TV with headphones at night…...

Hello All,

as there are more and more users facing same issue, can each of you open a support ticket with Sonos ? This is the only way we can push Sonos to finally fix this annoying bug in their software.

Kind regards,

Greg

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same issue with my LG E8  but it doesn't bother me as I rarely use Headphones at night now and just turn switch over to night time listening mode and turn on speech enhancement. 

It would be good if I could just switch on the Sennheiser's and not have this issue.

I am struggling to know if this is a Sonos or a TV problem ( I have an LG too which seems to be very common in this thread). 

until 3 days ago I could quite happily hear everything through the Sonos from the TV. I then noticed the tv switching from hdmi arc to internal speakers….. I would then flip it back to hdmi arc only to get no sound. I have had no sound on Hdmi arc now for a few days but unless I unplug the beam the tv auto selects arc and I get no sound. 

beam works fine for all normal streaming - question is whether what’s tripping the arc to auto flip is coming from the beam or the tv - and with no way to tell which it is how can you get support in this mixed environment.

fwiw I will factory reset my tv and my beam later today and not run any updates on either…see how it goes.. but this is busting my nut

My initial thoughts are that the ‘flipping/tripping’ is being caused neither by the Beam, nor the TV, but more likely by another HDMI device connected to the TV that has HDMI-CEC enabled and is attempting to ‘steal’ away the focus from your Beam.

To try to find the ‘culprit’, if you have more than one device connected with HDMI-CEC enabled, is  to disconnect these ‘other’ devices and first ensure the ‘flipping’ stops altogether. Next, add the devices back one at a time and see which one causes the issue. If that’s established, then disable CEC on that one device, or alternatively insert a cec-less adapter into its connection as shown in the link below. All being well, these things should solve your issue.

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299

I am struggling to know if this is a Sonos or a TV problem ( I have an LG too which seems to be very common in this thread). 

until 3 days ago I could quite happily hear everything through the Sonos from the TV. I then noticed the tv switching from hdmi arc to internal speakers….. I would then flip it back to hdmi arc only to get no sound. I have had no sound on Hdmi arc now for a few days but unless I unplug the beam the tv auto selects arc and I get no sound. 

beam works fine for all normal streaming - question is whether what’s tripping the arc to auto flip is coming from the beam or the tv - and with no way to tell which it is how can you get support in this mixed environment.

fwiw I will factory reset my tv and my beam later today and not run any updates on either…see how it goes.. but this is busting my nut

I'm yet another with the same issue: LG CX65 with a Beam+Sub and Sony WH-1000XM4 Bluetooth headphones. I try to listen with headphones at night to avoid the sub waking up everyone within 50 miles, and the sound just switches back to the Beam immediately. Switching off CEC/Simplink is a stupid workaround, made even stupider by the fact that it switches itself back on the instant I do actually want to use the soundbar. 

As it looks like other soundbar makes do not have this issue with LG TVs, and Sonos soundbars with multiple TV brands do; it is surely down to Sonos. To those saying that it is a 'feature' of CEC, do you honestly think that the CEC standard states 'compliant devices must hijack audio output contrary to direct user choice'?

Sonos please sort this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Without knowing about CEC protocols and how to adhere to them (there does seem to be a difference between Samsung and Sonos) we still do not know if, technically, there is a problem to fix.

For you the LG turning on Simplink automatically is an extra disadvantage.

Not sure what im doing wrong but the Simplink setting on the LG C1 will automatically re-enable itself. So i dont think that ‘work around’ is an effective one. Im able to get the bluetooth headphones to work intermittently by following a random procedure of switching the audio ouput and disabling simplink, but i have not been able to uncover a pattern/procedure of steps required to do this consistently. 

The only thing that seems to work 100% of the time is unplugging the HDMI cable from the eARC enabled hdmi port on the TV or soundbar. 

To assure myself that im not going mad, i plugged in my old Samsung soundbar and it worked a treat (including LG remote control volume adjustment which demonstrated that CEC was still on), so this is definitely a SONOS related issue. Anybody who begs to differ is clearly delusional. 

After dropping some decent coin on this setup I’m left quite disappointed with my first (and last) SONOS acquisition given the terrible customer support and outright refusal to even acknowledge that this is their problem to fix. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not sure Sonos thinks anything needs fixing. Though I can see the problem for you.

I have the same issue with LG C9 and Arc, infuriating. Was fine with Playbar as was over optical :(

Sonos, please fix this! 

Can confirm same issue on my end (LG C1 65 + Sonos Arc / Sub). When activating bluetooth headphones, get audio for about 2 seconds before the switch back. 

Will try to disable Simplink but can see this as rather annoying. I would have thought a firmware update would have already fixed this - so given the absence of one and any genuine acknowledgement from SONOS may actually point to a hardware related issue. Pity, i held out on getting on the Sonos bandwagon for many many years and am now considering returning the setup back to the store given this lack of this basic usability. 

Can you test another brand soundbar?

Can confirm same issue on my end (LG C1 65 + Sonos Arc / Sub). When activating bluetooth headphones, get audio for about 2 seconds before the switch back. 

Will try to disable Simplink but can see this as rather annoying. I would have thought a firmware update would have already fixed this - so given the absence of one and any genuine acknowledgement from SONOS may actually point to a hardware related issue. Pity, i held out on getting on the Sonos bandwagon for many many years and am now considering returning the setup back to the store given this lack of this basic usability. 

Hi All, BOSE 300 WORKS

I can confirm an Error with my Sonos Arc BUT works perfect with Bose soundtouch 300. Both tested on my Samsung Q80 75in

I used a friends Bose and it does not switch back to HDMI once I select tv speakers or Bluetooth Buds.

However, my Sonos Arc fails and does auto switch back to HDMI after 2 seconds when I select TV speaker or buds. I have videos to prove this.

Typical Tech giant answers = Samsung says it works with Bose so contact Sonos because this proves our TV sees a soundbar correctly. Sonos says call Samsung because there TV is choosing what port to push sound out. We don't control it.

Can anyone else please test or confirm if thier TV works with other soundbars after failing with Sonos and post back here.

Why does Samsung TV see a Bose 300? What are they doing different?

Can Samsung and Sonos please get together and resolve this issue. I'm sure it's a few lines of code because it's proved it works for 2 seconds already.

So frustrating to buy High-end goods and get pushed back and forth. 

Someone step up please.

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! I understand that we all want to keep the Sonos Arc/Beam and headphones connected to our TV at the same time and that kind of behavior is based on your TV on how the HDMI connections work because you are connecting two output devices to your TV. As others suggested this is more and can be handled appropriately by the TV manufacturers. You can try optical for better options but it will still up to you on how to proceed. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

If you do this you lose the atmos function of the sound bar.

i have the same issue with LG CX and sonos arc.

I have to go to TV sound menu and toggle the eARC switch off then on.  Then the bluetooth headphones will connect 100%.  Its an annoyance to have to go through this but proves its a software problem that can be fixed.  It’s a SONOS problem if folks with multiple TV brands are experiencing it.  

SONOS, are you listening?  I see replies on other forums but not this one.

I love the soundbar so much I bought your stock.  Hello?

I'm in the same boat, recently purchased an LG-Cx 65" and invested in the sonos arc to replace my my sonos playbar for  the dolby atmos experience which works great with my sonos sub (gen2) and two play 1's, this all works great together, unfortunately my blutooth Sony m3 headphones keep knocking off after 2 seconds and and the sound source switching back to the sonos arc. Will this bug ever be fixed? I have seen this problem all over the place now after a little Googling around. I know there is a workaround by switching off the hdmi cec but we shouldn't have to do this, starting to regret my sonos purchase, it's the little things like this that bother me. 

Userlevel 1

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for helping me find that SimpLink/HDMI-CEC on/off setting on the LG C9 TV. It’s exactly where you said it was.

Still--with no disrespect intended towards you or anyone else taking a side here--this sequence of button presses and remote-mouse movements is overly burdensome for anyone but the expert user. The whole thing boils down to: “I keep selecting one thing, but getting another.”

AirPods for some viewing sessions (e.g., don’t wake-up the other members of the household) and Sonos Arc for others (e.g., normal or group or daytime viewing) seems like a pretty modest ask. Yet the number of button pushes and remote-mouse movements is pretty intensive just to switch between the two audio outputs. Makes me want to build a man-cave instead (as yet another workaround to the original problem).

Who knew getting a really nice flat screen TV and pairing it with a really nice soundbar would lead to such disappointment. Very frustrating.

I understand and to some extent I agree, but I see this as being something TV manufacturers in general should fix with their software - the user should be able to select the Bluetooth option and it either switches off CEC, or it simply allows both audio outputs at the same time (my preferred option). I think that is a better solution than perhaps having Sonos fix this.

I really don't get your logic. Multiple OEMs have ARC products working perfectly, Sonos does not. Sonos implements CEC in a way that doesn't work and now multiple TV manufacturers should all separately fix this for them?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can command the Beam with it: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=nl_NL