Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Me too..

LG OLed CX

Sonos ARC

keeps switching back to arc when connecting to the Bluetooth..

Me too now..

CX OLED

Sonos BEAM

AirPods Pro.

Just kept switching back to eArc when trying to connect the AirPods.

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! I understand that we all want to keep the Sonos Arc/Beam and headphones connected to our TV at the same time and that kind of behavior is based on your TV on how the HDMI connections work because you are connecting two output devices to your TV. As others suggested this is more and can be handled appropriately by the TV manufacturers. You can try optical for better options but it will still up to you on how to proceed. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

What an asinine and disrespectful reply from Sonos.

Yeah, just buy our soundbar/sub/surrounds then connect with optical "for better options" and lose Atmos capabilities.

Sure, great advice!

Unfortunately got the same issue with a Sonos Beam setup and bluetooth headphones. Switching off HDMI-CEC seems like a work-around, but it still extremely annoying this doesn’t work otherwise.

New AirPod pros. 

lg65 lied & beam

disappointing. Disabling the CEC disables my harmony remote functions

SONOS!!

it is my turn now….. …...Sonos Arc with Samsung TV UA-50KU6000

Im not a technical person. Stumbled upon this thread while I am searching on how to connect my  wired headphone to my TV without without affecting my sonos arc setup.

Add me to the list.  New LG OLED CX with Sonos Arc/AirPod Pros.  Same issue as everybody else.  Had to unplug the HDMI cable so I don’t wake the wife up

Very surprising Sonos is having this issue for as much as I paid for my set up

I agree.  Sonos app should be updated to fix this issue!!  Come on, Sonos.  Get with the program. ; )

Userlevel 1

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! I understand that we all want to keep the Sonos Arc/Beam and headphones connected to our TV at the same time and that kind of behavior is based on your TV on how the HDMI connections work because you are connecting two output devices to your TV. As others suggested this is more and can be handled appropriately by the TV manufacturers. You can try optical for better options but it will still up to you on how to proceed. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi, going through the post you can read that many folks have the problem only with Sonos Beam or Sonos Arc solutions. (This is the case for me as well, LG C9 + Sonos Arc). It works well with other HDMI-ARC connected audio devices (as mentioned in the posts several times).

So this clearly seems to be a problem in the Sonos system. Please do not throw the ball to the TV manufactures. I strongly doubt that Samsung, LG, Sony and others are to blame here.

Btw. this does have nothing todo with Bluetooth, it does not matter which output you choose on your TV (at least for me), the Sonos (HDMI connected) Soundbar will always take over after a second or so.

This is exactly what I wanted to write. HDMI ARC connection in my LG TV worked well with a JBL bar and Sony headphones in my case. 
Really Sonos? Is blaming the others the right way to solve the problems in your understanding? Disappointing...

Userlevel 1

Hi, going through the post you can read that many folks have the problem only with Sonos Beam or Sonos Arc solutions. (This is the case for me as well, LG C9 + Sonos Arc). It works well with other HDMI-ARC connected audio devices (as mentioned in the posts several times).

So this clearly seems to be a problem in the Sonos system. Please do not throw the ball to the TV manufactures. I strongly doubt that Samsung, LG, Sony and others are to blame here.

Btw. this does have nothing todo with Bluetooth, it does not matter which output you choose on your TV (at least for me), the Sonos (HDMI connected) Soundbar will always take over after a second or so.

Hey, new to the forum. Recently purchased the Sonos Arc and ran into the same issue with my LG OLED C9 77 inch tv, with the HDMI Arc input being the only audio input I could play while using my sound bar unless I unplug the power cord or the HDMI cable. If I try using any other input it goes back to the HDMI Arc input immediately. One work around use could do is purchase an HDMI splitter. I listed the link below: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JQ9XXV/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_xM-XFbTJ3V16Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You'll be able to select the input you wanna use while leaving the HDMI cable in both the sound bar and tv as long as you select the splitter to the opposite input so it's not conflicting with your tv/sound bar. I hope this helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I have noticed the same issue with an LG C9 and Sonos ARC. I have an old pair of Sony rf wireless headphones connected to the headphone jack. When I switch to the headphone option they work fine, but when I try to connect my new Bluetooth headphones the tv switches back to eARC after a couple of seconds. Really frustrating. Seems strange its just the Bluetooth connection that is is affected, but looks like I will be sticking with the old headphones. Its a shame Sonos cannot fix this as I never had the same issue with my old soundbar. 

Now me ☹️

Sonos Arc and LG OLED.

As I understand the other threads about this, the behaviour is confirming to HDMI-CEC standards. There’s nothing to fix. Certainly not by Sonos.

If this is a HDMI-CEC standard issue millions of people should have the same issue with other sound systems for years. This standard is over 10 years old. I highly doubt this is the case and there’s nothing Sonos could do about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand the other threads about this, the behaviour is confirming to HDMI-CEC standards. There’s nothing to fix. Certainly not by Sonos.

Same here. Sonos AMP hooked up with HDMI to Sony 9305. It is ridiculous Sonos not prioritizing this issue.

I bought an Alexa enabled plug. I say “Alexa turn Arc off.” It powers down. The  Bluetooth sticks because the Arc power is off. Just have to turn back on in am. 

I’ve got the same issue. LG C8 and ARC. Will try the CEC route this evening. It’s not ideal to have to do a work around as you would think the integration between Sonos and LG would be better. 

Userlevel 1

It is unfortunate to see this hasn’t been corrected even in new products. I purchased a Sonos Arc to go with LG CX. Due to COVID my wife is currently working from home, in order not to disturb her, I was trying to use Bluetooth headphones, then tried wired headphones, arc keeps overriding my choice after a few seconds. May send it back, as while I can do the “fix” mentioned above, a current device shouldn’t be forcing me to turn off features of the tv just to work properly, especially since this an over a year old issue.

Edit: This isn’t an LG issue, I hooked up my older Bose sound bar and sound output selections work properly.

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem as Badgercop. It seems that this is pretty common as shown by these similar threads in the sidebar to this thread. The best, though not optimal, solution seems to be to turn off the HDMI-CEC connection on your TV. It would be nice of SONOS would fix the APP to handle this situation. The problem is not solely with LG systems - both Samsung and Sony are referenced in the other threads.

thank you!!  Found this through a Google search. I have an LG OLED B8 with the Beam and have the same problem! This is unfortunately a temporary and annoying work around.  My Bose 700 bluetooth headphones cost more than the Beam, can't Sonos step up to allow us to switch between them quickly?? I use them at night so i don't bother the wifey while enjoying some late night TV in our condo.

Can't Sonos fIx such a simple issue? I'm sure thousands of others have this issue.

Userlevel 1

Same behavior. I can't use any other audio options other than the internal speakers. With Bluetooth I get a second of sound, then the ARC takes back the output. On my LG OLED I can't even turn off hdmi-cec as it turns it back on when I switch to the sound bar. 

All I want is to be able to use Bluetooth headphones at night.…

Sigh....

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

I've had Beam and sub 3.1 combo for 2 years now hooked up to a LG E8 and have to switch HDMI CEC  off to use bluetooth with my  headphones. I see it as a CEC issue not a Sonos one. I also have CEC issues when activating CEC and other items like ATV4K and a Foxtel cable box I need to turn it off for the Apple box. 

I think the issue is due to Sonos being a music player and media streamer and not just a dumb soundbar.  

Realise this thread is a bit old but came across it when I was searching for an answer to the same issue I am having and can confirm that the brand new Sonos Arc also has the exact same problem. Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

In very simple setups HDMI-CEC can work well, however, in more complicated setups it is a hazard. You can get into a situation where the order of commands is important. For example if one turns OFF the TV, then turns OFF the Blue-ray player, the TV is likely to turn ON again and switch to the cable box. This can create interesting dramas if one partner is sleeping and the other had been watching a disc. This becomes worse if the viewing partner falls asleep without properly shutting down the system. Eventually, most Blu-ray players will automatically turn OFF after a disc ends and there are no further commands. Another drama unfolds if the cable company updates their firmware in the middle of the night because the TV might turn ON after the update is complete.

Overall, Airgetlam’s solution of using an optical connection for Bluetooth is the most practical, but I can imagine misadventures here too. Eventually there will be cost effective add-on control systems that can manage CEC, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for these.