Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

I can confirm it’s a Sonos issue.

Downstairs: Sonos Beam / Samsung The Frame ”65 / Bose 700 HP = problem

Upstairs: Harman Kardon Citation / Samsung The Frame ”55 / Bose 700 HP = No problem

Fix would be nice so you don’t have to manually turn E-ARC off.. every.. time.. and.. back.. on.. every.. time.. 

Unfortunately I have this same issue. Every time my girlfriend watches TV with headphones we need to disconnect the ARC in order for the LG CX to connect to the headphone. Could SONOS please look for a solution?

Thank you.

You only temporarily disable it...

Yeah Superbe ! And I have to go to settings, device connection etc… each time I want to use a bluetooth headset ... Very very friendly :thinking:  And I have to explain that to all the member of the family ...

Seriously … 

The most simple solution I found is to put a switch on the AC in the wall and when I want to use a headset, I cut the power of the arc… On a 900$ soundbar, not very 2021...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You only temporarily disable it...

Hello 

LG CX, Sonos ARC, airpod pro/xbox wireless headset.Same thing for me ! GRRRR

The unique solution is to disable simplink and we loose the possibility to control the arc with the remote …. So it’s not a solution !

Please Sonos do something ! It’s a basic option to be able to choose easely the source of the sound ! 

:(

Truly unbelievable that Sonos know about this issue. Know that its their issue as other manufacturers don't have it. AND DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. If it was made clear or better publicised im sure many people would make different purchasing choices.

Lets see what happens when Sonos release their own much rumoured  headphones. If theirs connect to TV's without all the continuous setting changes or unplugging and other brands dont I think their end up in court. In the meantime I'm going to post this issue far and wide so others can make an informed choice of what TV audio to buy.

+1

Beam & LG GX connected via HDMI. If i select another Audio Output like Bluetooth or TV speakers the audio is switching automatically back to the beam after a couple of seconds. 

#notsolved

Badge

Same issue with a BT headseat and Sonos Beam. Keeps switching back to the Beam after a few seconds. Needs a fix or very good and easy workaround.

Same for me. Using Sonos Arc with Sub and One SL as a 5.1. Sony Headphones will only connect 2s before it switches back to ARC.

I am currently un/replugging the Arc every time I want to use the BT headphones - still better then disabling CEC all the time / missing the Remote control.

please do something about this Sonos. 

Hello,

I am having exactly the same issue.  LG OLED TV with Beam connected via ARC & HDMI-CEC.   When I switch to my Bluetooth headphone I get about 2 seconds of audio before the TV switches back to ARC.   Even if I put a different source through the Beam.   I have to unplug the Beam for Bluetooth to work.   Clearly a bug SONOS need to look at,

Regards 

Chris 

Hi all, 

unfortunately I am another very disappointed user of Sonos eco system having issues with Bluetooth earphones disconnecting from  LG OLED GX3 TV when the Sonos Beam is linked via ARC & HDMI-CEC. 

I would kindly like to ask Sonos Engineering team to sort this out by providing fix to Beam’s firmware. 

Regards,
Grzegorz

Hello, I think I solved the problem, I went into the sound options and select E-ARC mode, and  my Bluetooth headset was working well after that without having to unplug the hdmi arc!

I have the same problem, brand new LG 65CX OLED with Sony Bluetooth headset, everything was working well before I add my new Sonos ARC plugged with ARC-HDMI. As soon as I put it on my Bluetooth headset it automatically switch back on HDMI ARC… really frustrating. I have to unplugged HDMI ARC each time I use my Bluetooth headset… that’s not normal 

I don’t wan’t to plug the Sonos with IR connection because the sound of my tv won’t be automatically Controlled. 

is there anything to do?

SimpLink disabled in my LGC9 and my Airpods now working more then 2 seconds ;) still IN MY OPINION there is some software conflict - thats why ARC or Beam’s doing this. As other devices not doing this on same TV and same Bluetooth set. So Sonos guys don’t get all upset - fix it !!! My wife will not give ma what I want from her for next 2 months as the house was shaking before I found this topic lol !

Badge

Really annoying issue. Does Sonos have few TVs and QA team? I mean according to this thread it's not related to one TV vendor.

It's just strange that Sonos don't wish to confirm this problem and provide some hotfix e.g. button in own app interface or something.

I'm ashamed of you, guys.

Same issue here. LG CX, Sonos Arc, and Bluetooth headphones.

After connecting headphones, TV will immediately switch back to Sonos Arc. I have to disable SimpLink for it to stick with the headphones.

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for helping me find that SimpLink/HDMI-CEC on/off setting on the LG C9 TV. It’s exactly where you said it was.

Still--with no disrespect intended towards you or anyone else taking a side here--this sequence of button presses and remote-mouse movements is overly burdensome for anyone but the expert user. The whole thing boils down to: “I keep selecting one thing, but getting another.”

AirPods for some viewing sessions (e.g., don’t wake-up the other members of the household) and Sonos Arc for others (e.g., normal or group or daytime viewing) seems like a pretty modest ask. Yet the number of button pushes and remote-mouse movements is pretty intensive just to switch between the two audio outputs. Makes me want to build a man-cave instead (as yet another workaround to the original problem).

Who knew getting a really nice flat screen TV and pairing it with a really nice soundbar would lead to such disappointment. Very frustrating.

I understand and to some extent I agree, but I see this as being something TV manufacturers in general should fix with their software - the user should be able to select the Bluetooth option and it either switches off CEC, or it simply allows both audio outputs at the same time (my preferred option). I think that is a better solution than perhaps having Sonos fix this.

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for helping me find that SimpLink/HDMI-CEC on/off setting on the LG C9 TV. It’s exactly where you said it was.

Still--with no disrespect intended towards you or anyone else taking a side here--this sequence of button presses and remote-mouse movements is overly burdensome for anyone but the expert user. The whole thing boils down to: “I keep selecting one thing, but getting another.”

AirPods for some viewing sessions (e.g., don’t wake-up the other members of the household) and Sonos Arc for others (e.g., normal or group or daytime viewing) seems like a pretty modest ask. Yet the number of button pushes and remote-mouse movements is pretty intensive just to switch between the two audio outputs. Makes me want to build a man-cave instead (as yet another workaround to the original problem).

Who knew getting a really nice flat screen TV and pairing it with a really nice soundbar would lead to such disappointment. Very frustrating.

@106rallye There’s no way/no setting that I can find (and I’ve looked VERY hard) to turn off SimpLink (a.k.a., HDMI-CEC) on the most recent firmware from LG (which is 05.00.03). 

In the WebOS/LG TV firmware 5.00.03 you need to goto ‘Settings/Connection/HDMI Device Settings” - Simplink ON/OFF is the second option in the list.

IMHO the issue here is with WebOS/LG I think, as it should prompt to switch off ‘simplink’ whenever a user selects ‘another’ audio-out option.

@106rallye There’s no way/no setting that I can find (and I’ve looked VERY hard) to turn off SimpLink (a.k.a., HDMI-CEC) on the most recent firmware from LG (which is 05.00.03). I’m left with just one workaround (which itself is a kluge): unplugging either the Sonos Arc power cord or the HDMI cable to prevent the Sonos Arc from grabbing the sound output back from the sound output that I had selected/want to listen via (e.g., AirPods Pro).

This behavior doesn’t seem to be intended. An analogy might be wanting to watch CNN, but having the TV switch to FOX every time you choose CNN.

Others have said in this thread that other soundbars or external speaker systems do not have the same issue. Choose them via the TV, and the sound output comes from and remains from the selected output. Again the “choose this, but get that” behavior does not seem logical or particularly desirable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bill H. Wow. And here I was explaining that:

1. this is within HDMI-CEC spec for the TV (so Sonos can’t do anything about it); and
  2. there is a work around (turning HDMI-CEC off temporarily).

As I understand it it is your TV that by HDMI-CEC specification sends the sound to a speaker connected via HDMI-ARC. There’s no need to unplug anything.

Me too. Sonos needs to fix this.

Never had a problem CHOOSING the audio output that I wanted to use during a particular TV session (night=Airpods Pro; day=internal speaker) UNTIL I connected Sonos Arc via HDMI Arc port on LG OLED65C9. Now, when I CHOOSE AirPods Pro (connect via Bluetooth), the sound output switches to AirPods Pro for about two seconds, and then reverts to Sonos Arc via HDMI Arc port.  The same happens when I CHOOSE the LG’s internal speaker: the sound output switches to the LG’s internal speaker for about two seconds, and then reverts to Sonos Arc via HDMI Arc port.

Sonos Arc appears to be overriding my sound output selection. The wife is very aggravated (that I’m not using my AirPods Pro! The workaround (unplug the Sonos Arc or its HDMI cable) aggravates me!

Please fix!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

HDMI-CEC is called Simplink with LG. I don not own an LG (and have another solution for my headphones - a Connect Gen 2), so I have no experience with this myself, It should be somewhere in de connectivity settings on your TV.

@Geniusiron @sridhg Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC (Anynet, Bravia Link, Simplink) for the time you are using your headphone?

@mafm How is this answer disrespectful? Giving you an extra work around and stating the disadvantages of that seesm good practice to me. There are technical reasons for this, it's your TV (not Sonos) that does this, and as I understand it this is conform HDMI-CEC spec, so an industry standard. To me it seems Sonos is not the one to change this…..

I will happily try this. Any ideas how I do this on an LG? I’d read earlier on this thread that LG’s switch straight back when HDMI-CEC is turned off too. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Geniusiron @sridhg Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC (Anynet, Bravia Link, Simplink) for the time you are using your headphone?

@mafm How is this answer disrespectful? Giving you an extra work around and stating the disadvantages of that seesm good practice to me. There are technical reasons for this, it's your TV (not Sonos) that does this, and as I understand it this is conform HDMI-CEC spec, so an industry standard. To me it seems Sonos is not the one to change this…..