Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

Hi community and CM’s.

Not to necro this thread but I’m still hoping that this can be resolved.

I don’t think this needs to be a case of bad mouthing anyone.   There can be full transparency here without blaming any other party. 

I think the community appreciates that feature development can take time.  A formal acknowledgement that the CMs are listening to their customer base and then something to manage expectations would go along way.  “We are working with xxxxxx to identify solution options and we expect this to take yyyyyyy.  Please bear with us”.

If it’s “never” going to happen (never is long time - think close ecosystems now more open). Also say so we can invest our time money and effort elsewhere.  

Best,

James

Sonos, can you please address this issue. Recently purchased a Sonos beam2 and it’s ridiculous that I can’t group the beam with my other smart speakers as it’s not compatible with Apple Music through google yet can play Apple Music itself. Please fix this. 

Well this is disappointing. Would have thought this was at the top of the development teams priority list. 

Just bought a Sonos Move set it up and set up google assistant with it and Apple Music as default on Google assistant and cannot access Apple Music via assistant getting same message as others “not supported“

how is this possible ? I can access Apple Music via the Sonos App on my phone and computer.

SONOS -  :loud_sound:  Say something, I'm giving up on you…

This might help in the time between if you have an iPhone/iPad as a workaround in the meantime. 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/11/how-to-update-sonos-speakers-for-airplay-2-homekit/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Experiencing the same. Hopefully this gets added soon!

Please Sonos team take a look into this and push out a fix soon!

It’s really frustrating that Apple Music subscribers aren’t able to experience the same functionality as Spotify or YouTube Music subscribers. This feature is hotly in demand.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The fact that Apple Music on Google Assistant isn’t supported on Sonos shows us that Sonos don’t seem to care too much about their customers, at least when it comes to voice assistants.

This, and all the other problems with Google Assistant on Sonos they haven’t bother resolving after more than a year.

Adding one more here. It is so obnoxious that you can play Apple Music anywhere via Google Assistant except for Sonos. 

Hello,

i m also an google / Apple Music / Sonos user… as many Others.

Please Sonos dev Team and marketing Team include this évolution on your top priority development roadmap.…

All the best to all of you !

Vince

Same for me, “Apple Music is not supported on xxx”, playing from Nest Hub and Nest Mini, all set to use Sonos speakers as their default speaker.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anyone had any luck with this? I am in the UK and I understand you must link Apple Music in the Google Home app so that the voice assistant can use it, but my version of the Home app does not currently show Apple Music as an option to link to.

Anyone had any luck with this? I am in the UK and I understand you must link Apple Music in the Google Home app so that the voice assistant can use it, but my version of the Home app does not currently show Apple Music as an option to link to.

I didn’t know this was due to happen, but I’m also from the U.K. and the Apple Music service isn’t yet there to add to the Google Home, I see Spotify & Deezer, so it maybe a case of waiting to see what the next update brings.

I wish Google would add Amazon Music HD too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All.

I’m afraid the Best Answer from Ditte still stands - we have no further information to share.

Any update

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All Sonos speakers are compatible with Apple Music. You just can’t ask Google Assistant to play music from it.

Userlevel 2

I am in the UK. I have a nest Audio and a few minis as well as Sonos, so tried this and it works well. Amusingly the Apple Music stuff sounds better (different masters?) than the YouTube Music streams on the nest audio. On my Sonos I get the Apple Music not supported message. Would be great to get this working soon Sonos!

I added Apple Music as my default music service on Google Home. 
-When I ask the Nest Mini to play Apple Music on the same Nest Mini it works beautifully. I assume this is true for all Nest Audio devices, i.e. google assistant asking google product to play Apple Music works. 
-When I ask my Nest Mini to play Apple Music on my Sony TV, it works perfectly. 
-When I ask Nest Mini to play Apple Music on any of my Sonos (by changing default speaker output), it does NOT work. 
-When I ask my Google Assistant (on Sonos speakers this time) to play Apple Music on any Sonos speakers, it does NOT work (“not supported”). 

Adding Apple Music to Google Assistant is great as long as Sonos enables this to propagate through their speakers. Hopefully just a setting or quick software fix, as y’all have suggested. 

Looks like most of us are trying to get a Google Home device (Nest Hub, etc.) to direct a Sonos speaker to play Apple Music. Has anyone had success getting a Sonos voice-enabled device (One, Beam, Arc) with Google Assistant enabled on that device to play Apple Music on that device itself?

good question, I only tried a Home mini and a home hub that I use as glorified doorbell chimes with nest hello then set Sonos as default speaker.

Yea I tried on a GA-enabled Move just to play on itself. The most frustrating part is that is finds the play list or artist or album or whatever but then immediately comes back and says not supported. What a tease!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This is a Google Cast firmware version issue. I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that also has the same issue and it’s running 1.46 whereas my Nest displays are running 1.52. Sonos is probably still running 1.46. I’m not sure Google has even released 1.52 to 3rd parties yet. I imagine this isn’t a high priority for Sonos and will probably get pushed out with the next set of bug fixes. Granted they have access to the latest version of Cast.

Sonos products don’t support Chromecast.

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

Hello Ditte

it’s been over a month and need to know will there be a patch/ firmware update available to allow Google Assistant to play Apple Music subscription. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

FYI:

“The feature is only launching in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany and Japan.”
Hopefully other locations to follow :fingers_crossed_tone5:

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

Hi Ditte and the Sonos team. Having a “mixed” Apple and Google tech home, having access to my Apple Music account from my Sonos speakers running Google Assistant would be a great addition. 

Have a great holiday and new year

Simon