Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Userlevel 3

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

icon

Best answer by Ditte 18 December 2020, 13:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

Userlevel 3

Google Home (Hubs & Speakers) now support Apple Music in the U.S.  My new Sonos One set with Google Assistant (not Amazon) says that it is not compatible with Apple Music requested via the Assistant.

It responds “OK, playing…..on Apple Music” and then “Sorry...Apple Music is not supported on Sonos...”

Hoping for a quick fix from Sonos - or its getting returned.

Userlevel 3

I agree that an update now needed from Sonos is most likely, especially given that Google Home itself has only begun supporting Apple Music (yesterday).  But yes, I have made and confirmed all of the settings.  Thanks for your response.  I’m gonna try to be patient.

Userlevel 1

On the Sonos page about this its says: 

Apple Music is not currently supported for use with the Google Assistant on Sonos.

So until Sonos builds an update or a workaround the only to make this work is with all the other music services, except Apple. ARGHH! going to have to get a Spotify subscription. 

Userlevel 1

I am confused.

Sonos + Apple Music = Works

Sonos + Alexa + Apple Music = Works

Google Assistant + Apple Music = Works

Sonos + Google Assistant + Apple Music = Of course this WILL NOT work, how dare you assume it would!

This makes no sense at all and I would love to understand why this is not a supported option

Userlevel 1

Very disappointing that Apple Music is not supported with Google Assistant on Sonos. I have been a Sonos user for a few years and a stock holder, and I don’t see a scenario where there’s a good explanation for Sonos not supporting this, or not having a public answer for this 2-3 months after the Google announcement. Sonos should at least be able to say we are or are not going to support it, we’re working on it, it will be in a future software release, or something. Right now we’re hearing crickets. This does not reflect well on Sonos. Please tell us what’s going on here behind the scenes.

It’s just a appeared for me, in the UK. Apple Music is set as default player for Google Home app and assistant and it plays on my when you talk to the assistants on both apps but only plays back on my phone. I ask SONOS, ok Google or hey Google etc. Just says ok, playing on Apple Music and then says, sorry Apple Music is not supported on living room speaker… definitely a smart speaker

I’ve tried to take Apple Music off and sign back in the SONOS controller app

Sonos had an update out about a day or two a go and wondered if that could be it but looks like it isn’t. 

Hopefully a fix soon 

Same issue here. 
I’ve been able to link Apple Music to Google Assistant, but it refuses to play on any of the Sonos Speakers. 
i did try to unlink Sonos from Google Assistant and add it back in and I got the following error message 

I guess there still some work to be done on Sonos site 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anyone had any luck with this? I am in the UK and I understand you must link Apple Music in the Google Home app so that the voice assistant can use it, but my version of the Home app does not currently show Apple Music as an option to link to.

I didn’t know this was due to happen, but I’m also from the U.K. and the Apple Music service isn’t yet there to add to the Google Home, I see Spotify & Deezer, so it maybe a case of waiting to see what the next update brings.

I wish Google would add Amazon Music HD too.

Google and Amazon have always been a bit uncooperative with each other although I see Alexa does offer Google Global Player as a music option; Amazon and Apple seem to have patched their differences.

Update to the app today….but no update to the hardware and no change to the Apple Music problem. Come on Sonos. Please give a timeline on when you will fix this functionality.

Can y’all just tell me you’re never going to integrate this so I can just move on with my life?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

So Sonos is refusing to support it? Because literally EVERY OTHER third-party speaker with Google Assistant works with it now. Except Sonos.

Becoming increasingly frustrated with how Sonos works with these services, as well as limitations with AirPlay. You don’t make it easy for those in the Apple ecosystem.

I wonder if this is because Sonos is suing Google?  

Seems like a bad customer service tactic though for the customers.  In my industry we push new APIs and integrations weekly - this shouldn’t be that complicated and someone at Sonos must have a project timeline or roadmap they could share.   

Userlevel 3

Sadly they haven’t updated it or the answer for when it will be - if at all.  I returned my Sonos and will choose another option. I was looking forward to adding more because of the great sound quality, but tired of playing these compatibility games!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

Can’t link my Apple Music to google home yet, gonna keep refreshing lol.

I am confused.

Sonos + Google Assistant + Apple Music = Of course this WILL NOT work, how dare you assume it would!

This makes no sense at all and I would love to understand why this is not a supported option

Google is absolute, pure evil. Somehow they managed to convince the world that they are “open”. They gimp everything that isn’t theirs by default.

I despise them with the power of a thousand suns. Their ecosystem is just as walled as Apples (if not worse)

Well as someone who has a full google setup around the house. I bought a HomePod Mini and two Sonos for airplay 2 syncing this month. I tried the Alexa functionality using Apple Music on the Sonos and hated it. I was so happy to see Apple Music come to Google assistant (and the fact that it seems to half work) that I ordered more Sonos on the assumption that full functionality was imminent. Seems crazy not to sort this out!

It’s a 100 day return period right! Might give it a few weeks to see if the situation changes?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sometimes Sonos don't get new Google Assistant and Alexa features straight away. 

I'm having the same problem where i have set Apple Music up in Home app, but Sonos will not play Apple Music. 

I am confused.

You forgot…

Sonos + GOOGLE Assistant + Spotify = Works

SMH I don’t get this at all - Apple is super proactive on letting their developer and hardware community know about these releases. You should have had weeks to prepare for their Google integration which is testament of where the ecosystem is going.

#Sonos @Sonos @Ditte please fix. This is such a straight forward integration. Should take your dev team a week or two Build test ship this out. Take example of Tesla. A few tweets and boom new release. 

Beginning to think I just bought into a premium Sonos system and innovation is very slow here.

same problem here in France.impatiently waiting for a sonos update. thanks

Dear community managers,

Would love to hear from you guys about what is happening behind the scenes.

Just adding to the chorus here that this is a must have now that Google’s devices all support it. Though I’m willing to give a little bit of time for Sonos to make their updates, this was just rolled out by Google on 12/7.

Just adding another request to have this addressed and fixed. It went from being the most used device in the house for listening to now being the most frustrating. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wish they would add support too. 

Google Assistant far better than Alexa

Google Home (Hubs & Speakers) now support Apple Music in the U.S.  My new Sonos One set with Google Assistant (not Amazon) says that it is not compatible with Apple Music requested via the Assistant.

It responds “OK, playing…..on Apple Music” and then “Sorry...Apple Music is not supported on Sonos...”

Perhaps a Sonos update is still needed for this new/recent feature to work (I’m not too sure🤔?), but as a quick check, have you installed Apple Music in the Google Home App and set it as your default music service and have you also installed Apple Music service in the Sonos App? - I would also confirm your online Sonos profile is set to a Country that supports this new service and ensure that the Language set in the Google Assistant App corresponds to the same Country setting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To Google’s attention in case you want it on Google Assistant……