Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

Pretty sure this is a Google thing, not a Sonos problem. They’re not going to badmouth Google here though. Fortunately the workaround isn’t terrible…I just talk to Siri to play music via Airplay rather than talking to Google directly through the speakers. 

Can’t be a Google thing , Apple Music works fine on all Google nest products you can even ask Google to play radio stations on Sonos. When you ask Google to play music (my default is Apple Music) on Sonos it says ok now playing then “I’m sorry Sonos doesn’t support Apple Music”

I like to blame Google for a lot of things but this is purely with Sonos.

Sonos, any update here? This seems like a major gap, given that Apple Music is supported by both Google Assistant and Sonos separately. 

To Google’s attention in case you want it on Google Assistant……

There is already Apple Music support on Google Assistant, and I can have it play music on any speaker, except for Sonos

Bump. Just wish Sonos would at least be a little more transparent about the issue. Guess I wish they would be transparent about anything really. 

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

but the problem we have is that is shows that it is in the available music services!

Sonos would you please provide an update? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, I’ve just moved from an Alexa household into a GA one and am very disappointed to encounter this problem, particularly when I can see from this thread this has been going on for over 4 months with no solution. I had a lot of trouble setting up GA on our devices as it was, but this was achieved through a long call with support. The support guy was very helpful but couldn’t understand why we couldn’t get music to play on Apple Music via the GA. It turned out he had actually only tried it himself with Spotify or via Alexa. I tried to tell him it does say on the Sonos website Apple Music isn’t supported through the GA on Sonos, but he said he would check with his supervisor. It seems even support staff aren’t aware of this issue.

I don’t care whether it’s Apple, Google or Sonos but it needs sorting. Surely Sonos you can at least provide an explanation as to what the problem is and if and when it can be fixed.

Ah damn it, I’ve literally just bought a Move to replace my Google home mini in the kitchen.

Naively assumed that as assistant now supports Apple Music then of course this will work with the move! 
Why can’t all of these devices play nicely together!

Gutted I think I’m going to have to return this, unless there is an ETA in the next week or so.

Any other recommendations (not apple HomePod, I’m not a Siri fan) for a smart speaker, with decent sound that supports GA and Apple Music combo?

Sonos would you please provide an update? 

Sonos never gives updates. 

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

the original Google-Speakers works fine with Apple Music - Sonos please fix the problem!

Just spent hours trying to make my google nest hub to play apple music in sonos speakers. The hub registered the voice command then played apple music but on its own speakers not sonos speakers. I tried connect google home/assistant with apple music and sonos multiple times, no dice.

Please support this missing feature Sonos.

OP could you mark the question unanswered?

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

Hi Ditte,

Any update on when this fix will be deployed?

Has it been requested as a feature?

It feels like this should be a patch to the latest version of Google assistant on Sonos. Could you confirm?

Thanks

James

This is so so bad. Please Sonos provide an update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Going to add my voice to the call for this as well. Just set up an Arc system for my parents (who love it BTW) and was fairly shocked to realize that couldn’t use “Hey Google” on the Arc with their Apple Music subscription… unlike every other Google / Nest speaker I’ve set up in their house. 

Wherever the fault lies, this is a silly limitation. Please someone provide additional information / a timeline / or point us to who the right people to escalate to is. This should all ‘just work’

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

Great question this is very important!! Hopefully soon would be nice before Christmas.

I see this post is a year old now. Have there been any updates to get this working or are we still getting the same marketing rubbish that “we’re working on it”? Very frustrating that I can link my apple music to all my other google devices but not through the google assistant on Sonos. 

Sure wish this worked.  Seems pretty stupid that it doesn’t.  Works fine if I want to play on google speaker so why not sonos?

Same issue here, would love if this was resolved ASAP.

Sure wish this worked.  Seems pretty stupid that it doesn’t.  Works fine if I want to play on google speaker so why not sonos?

I think this is something Google and Apple have to agree to do - I’m sure Sonos would welcome it, so it’s worthwhile asking Google and Apple for this service too.

Any update Sonos? I put all my purchase plans on hold for this - been an early customer but will not make the jump to Sonos 2 app-compatible devices unless I can actually play music on these speakers. Honestly your call.

I’m eagerly waiting for this 😳

And alternatively I’m switching to Alexa which supports this - till Sonos/Googles solves this.

Google Home (Hubs & Speakers) now support Apple Music in the U.S.  My new Sonos One set with Google Assistant (not Amazon) says that it is not compatible with Apple Music requested via the Assistant.

It responds “OK, playing…..on Apple Music” and then “Sorry...Apple Music is not supported on Sonos...”

Hoping for a quick fix from Sonos - or its getting returned.

I’m having the exact same issue. EXACT. Also won’t show up when I try and add to HomeKit.

Just bought a Sonos Move set it up and set up google assistant with it and Apple Music as default on Google assistant and cannot access Apple Music via assistant getting same message as others “not supported“

how is this possible ? I can access Apple Music via the Sonos App on my phone and computer.

Same

Looks like most of us are trying to get a Google Home device (Nest Hub, etc.) to direct a Sonos speaker to play Apple Music. Has anyone had success getting a Sonos voice-enabled device (One, Beam, Arc) with Google Assistant enabled on that device to play Apple Music on that device itself?

Have not. I’m asking my One to do it and it will not. Yet I can use it as a speaker from Sonos App or Apple Music. It’s specifically the integration with Google Assistant and voice feature that won’t work.

If I could get HomeKit to find the speaker I could use Siri from my phone, but that also is buggy.

Seems like someone will work this out eventually with an update.

This is a Google Cast firmware version issue. I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that also has the same issue and it’s running 1.46 whereas my Nest displays are running 1.52. Sonos is probably still running 1.46. I’m not sure Google has even released 1.52 to 3rd parties yet. I imagine this isn’t a high priority for Sonos and will probably get pushed out with the next set of bug fixes. Granted they have access to the latest version of Cast.