Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

I’ve spent a lot of time setting up google assistant with different devices in my home. I’m also frustrated by two issues with integration of GA in Sonos:

1. Not being able to use Apple Music as default music service when asking it to play specific songs.
  2. GA volume is excruciatingly loud. Seems like a separate GA audio volume from main volume would be appropriate.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I switched to Alexa and it doesn’t have these issues. We’ll see if I lose any functionality I had with GA but so far I’m happy.

When is this going to be added?

Just want to add a +1 for this to become something we can use asap. I just bought a speaker for voice announcements via smartthings which works great and use Apple Music as my music service so would be great to be able to get google to play music through the sonos and not have to use the app or my phone. Seems simple enough and as Apple Music only came to google assistant in Dec would hope to see Sonos get things up and running this month (Jan) but we will see.

Any update

Sonos please respond. Please allow Google Assistant and Apple Music to work together and give us a date for a date or status. MY Bose Soundbar does!

Badge

Agree, I spent all this time setting it up and then it tells me that it’s not supported?

Come on Sonos. This is really poor service. It can’t be a major update and we have been waiting months. I have already invested heavily in Sonos and looking at purchasing more but , this delay to update existing features holds me back at the moment and makes me look at other options. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where do you get the idea Sonos does not allow this?

Hey Sonos,

You can’t even give a reply to all these people asking for updates? What does that say about you as a company? Simple update is all we need, and don’t tell us you are still looking into it, this should have been already designed into your ecosystem ready to deploy when the feature was activated by Google.

WHATS TAKING SO LONG.

I also finished my google assistant setup. I managed to play one song using my beam and Apple Music. After that I get the message : Sorry, it looks like Apple Music is not supported on your room.

Strange I was able to run one song through Apple Music and after it is not supported. Can this be fixed please.

It appears that this issue has been ongoing for two years and Sonos still have not fixed the issue!

Even more hilarious is this thread is marked as resolved. 

Nothing resolves about something that does not work!

If you can enable Google Assistant on the Arc or any other compatible speaker, and you have ‘Apple Music’ as you preferred choice which works perfectly on Nest speakers, then it should work. No arguments.

Yes agreed, now all is getting voice controlled from curtains to lamps, washing machines central heating, Apple Music should work also.

This still isn’t done yet? Lol

Pretty sure this is a Google thing, not a Sonos problem. They’re not going to badmouth Google here though. Fortunately the workaround isn’t terrible…I just talk to Siri to play music via Airplay rather than talking to Google directly through the speakers. 

I have all the same problems as you guys except when I link Sonus to google home and just say “hey google play” Sonos plays what ever is on the Sonos app.

can’t get it to play what I want through the google home though so defeats the object really.

does Spotify work?

I just did some troubleshooting and it’s definitely on Sonos. I recently switched from Spotify Premium to Apple Music due to Apple One subscription model being worth it for my household (due to addition of fitness+). When you use Google Assistant via Sonos and ask it to play Apple Music, I got the not supported error. But when I tried the same sentence on the Nest hub in kitchen, it works. Google/Nest has supported Apple Music for a year now. Seems like Sonos needs to make some type of assistant update to bring it to what is currently available under Google Assistant. 

Soooo disappointing!  As others have pointed out, apple music works with other google voice activated devices, making this extra frustrating.  

Currently we are getting it to work with a (newly setup) alexa account, which will get us through I guess.  Maybe that workaround can help some others until this gets sorted out.

Rock & Roll.

I have all the same problems as you guys except when I link Sonus to google home and just say “hey google play” Sonos plays what ever is on the Sonos app.

can’t get it to play what I want through the google home though so defeats the object really.

does Spotify work?

That’s correct the playing/stopping/pausing etc; of a pre-loaded playlist on a Sonos device has been available since the voice assistants were first available on Sonos… it’s the initiating/loading of a playlist into the queue that’s needed and Sonos are yet to do that with the Google Assistant & Apple Music.

Even though Google does not (currently) support Amazon Music (just as another example), you can still pre-load one of their playlists manually to a speaker queue ...and play/stop/pause etc; using the Google Assistant.

Sonos is there an update for this? I understand Sonos returns a not supported response only for Apple Music. there’s such a big overlap between Apple and Sonos customers! I am still on the S1 app and have held on replacing my S1-only components with new speakers because this is so damn annoying!

I just bought a Sonos Roam and learn it’s not compatible with Apple Music. I will return it to Best Buy later tonight. Pretty sorry that this issue has been known for over one year and it’s not fixed. Seems someone is not interested in fixing it for whatever reason. 

Agreed, at least give a corporate answer like “we are working on this and hope to have it released soon”. I would prefer a more concrete timeline but from the lack of your response so far, I doubt that will ever happen.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t believe this isn’t resolved yet sonos. Your new play five doesn’t have voice support  fella like the dark ages

annoying that google assistant doesnt support apple music on sonos… seems like it should! but here’s a workaround that is working well for me (iphone, sonos one): ask siri to play the music you want to listen to and then airplay to bounce it over to the sonos - works pretty flawlessly! 

What “new play five”? The last PLAY:5 was released in November of 2015, the last Sonos Five was released in June of 2020.

At this point I am completely regretful to have bought into the Sonia ecosystem. I can’t believe this doesn’t work and there’s no transparency about why or when to expect any change. How frustrating to be stuck in a walled garden that I paid premium to get into, when the experience is worse than alternatives.

Definitely sounds like a sonos incompatibility issue. Tried all combination with Google assistant/sonos with Apple Music, Pandora, and Apple Music. It only fails when set up with Apple music in google assistant as default → cannot be played on sonos. I can however play from the Apple Music app (on iphone) directly to sonos One, so it looks like a connectivity from google home to sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Here’s a workaround that works in a very limited and specific capacity using IFTTT.