Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Currentl in the same boat as everyone here!!!

But I believe I may have actually solved it now by pausing the Voice & Audio Activity controls within google itself... The sonos device seems to be working again now

Came to the forum to research this. From what i’ve seen, this has fixed it 99% of the time. I always get a response to ok google, but now I always get a response to the command too - even if it’s an invalid command. With the voice activity switched on I would frequently get no response. Thanks for posting this 😃

Disconnect Spotify from Sonos and connect it again! It worked for me

Badge

But I believe I may have actually solved it now by pausing the Voice & Audio Activity controls within google itself... The sonos device seems to be working again now
Came to the forum to research this. From what i’ve seen, this has fixed it 99% of the time. I always get a response to ok google, but now I always get a response to the command too - even if it’s an invalid command. With the voice activity switched on I would frequently get no response. Thanks for posting this 😃

Is there a drawback from turning it off? and what exactly do you need to turn off?

I can’t get Sonos to recognize hey google at all. Have through the link process multiple times. Sonos shows in the google assistant and home apps. Voice control of Sonos is basically worthless. I tried Alexa but it never played on the correct speakers but at least it recognized my voice. 

Userlevel 1
Badge
Ive just tested turning it off and so far seems much better
Badge

Thanks for the reply @Richard F. 

I just submitted the diagnostics with the following ID: 848074575. Hope Sonos is able to figure out what's up :)

Badge
so sonos can't find out why but the users can? 🙂 If that is the problem then sonos should look into that, that would also explain why there's unknown command(s) in the activity controls
Badge

Also, during daytime I seem to have a lot more problems getting the assistant working than during nighttime. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but just letting you know :)

Badge

Just tried it and indeed, it works back again with the answers you suspect (so no 'place the speaker somewhere else or this of that like they mentioned before)
So there's the fault where sonos have to look in to solve the problem
@maketheface awesome... It's so much better now!!!
Having the same exactly the same issues as described in this thread. I'm from the Netherlands too.
Indeed by pausing the Voice & Audio Activity controls, google assistant responses seems to have improved significantly. Thanks for that.
Maybe i was a bit too fast with my previous message.
Indeed, by pausing the Voice & Audio Activity controls things have improved, but overall it is way from perfect (compared to my Google home mini). I have decided to install my google home back into the livingroom and mute the Sonos One mic for now.

Yep, it's sonos cause google home mini works perfectly.
Also worked two weeks back, now it doesn't do anything, totally useless..
Sonos is looking into it
Example:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MTru1gJcPQTVAPBs6

Is there incident or case number known by someone here, or anything so that we can keep track of the solving progress of Sonos? I haven't seen an official statement yet. Anyone?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Doug Ames 

I have tried your solution multiple times getting different IP addresses.

The result is the same. No response.

@Sonos Support ,

Do we have, any permanent solution do this or at least a temporary one? 

Did you manage to pinpoint the problem?

It’s a long time since this issue appeared.

In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!
In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!
As you are from Netherlands, you may need to set both your Sonos online profile country setting and also your Google Assistant language to Netherlands. I think Google 'perhaps' worked with English (United States) during the initial rollout and testing stage, but that may have been been stopped now. So perhaps try switching your language to the correct setting.

I have the same problem @Richard F. And have just submitted diagnostics for it #530986622

Hello @Fski. I understand you are having some issues with using Google Assistant on Sonos. When you give Assistant a command,  does she respond or does she remain silent? 

I would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow is to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi All

Just a thought but if any of you have booted your router whilst trying to resolve this issue, you may now have duplicate IP addresses.  

As a general comment, when trying to resolve Sonos issues with either Alexa or Google and you feel the need to reboot the Router, it is ALWAYS advisable to reboot ALL connected devices within the home.

For those of you reading this that aren't totally clear on how this works, I’ll try and explain below:

• Each time a new device connects to your Wi-Fi or is plugged into an Ethernet cable, a device (normally your Router) allocates it a unique network (IP) address;
  • Normally this address is in the format of 192.168.0.1 (This specific address is normally reserved for the Router) and then the next device to connect is allocated the next number - 192.168.0.2 and so on;
  • The issue occurs when the Router is rebooted, as the Router then loses any knowledge of the addresses previously allocated and so will start from 192.168.0.2 again;
  • Any devices within your network that have not been rebooted at the same time will continue to use the IP address that they were allocated before the Router was Rebooted;
  • So, an example scenario of a household with 20 connected devices, including 5 Sonos devices would mean that the next device to connect would be allocated 192.168.0.22 and all is stable. However, as soon as the Router is rebooted and the previously allocated addresses are lost, the Router will then allocate 192.168.0.2 to the next device – meaning that there are now two devices with the same IP address within the Network.  If the Sonos devices are then rebooted, these will also be allocated addresses that had previously been allocated before the Router was rebooted and so the problem gets worse;
  • For standalone devices, this can often go unnoticed by the user but for devices that need to communicate with each other (Sonos, Alexa and GA devices) this will cause a lot of seemingly unrelated performance and functional issues;

The ONLY way to resolve this issue is to reboot your network in this order:

• Router
  • Any wired Network devices or switches;
  • Any other wired devices;
  • All other Wi-Fi devices (Turning Wi-Fi off and on again on each device would also work)

The way that you can reduce the effect of this problem is to reserve an IP address within your Router Set-Up for all permanent devices. This ensures that a device is never just allocated the next IP address that the Router ‘thinks’ is free.  I personally use the range 192.168.0.175 – 192.168.0.244 for my devices that are connected to my network on a regular basis.  This removes the requirement to reboot these devices whenever the Router is rebooted, as they will always be allocated the exact same address and the Router will NEVER allocate this address to another device.

Badge

@UKMedia I’m not entirely convinced that the router connection could be causing this issue. I have had no issues playing music trough the Sonos app, only having issues with the Google Assistant. @DonSahl stated the exact same issue as I have, where the assistant worked fine and all the sudden did not pick up 2/3 commands, but always catching ‘Hey Google’ or ‘Ok Google’.

After multiple diagnostics over FB Messenger, which got escalated to phone and email correspondence, there’s still no resolution to this :rage:

Have been in contact with them over FB Messenger, phone and email, and have performed all of the following:

• Unlinking and re-linking Google Assistant
  • Pausing Voice and Audio Activity
  • Connecting the speaker via Ethernet instead of wireless
  • Connecting the speaker through a different wireless network with different ISP.
  • Creating a brand new Google Account and linking it.

All of which Google Assistant still did not respond.

And then what was especially infuriating was when Support started asking me to repeat the same steps above right from the beginning. It was a new person by the name of Alanis who took over the case, who clearly did not look through the case history and past diagnostics logs. I requested for Alanis to look through the case history, but the reply back after that totally ignored my request and asked me to repeat step 1. I nearly combusted.

Anyhow, what worked however is when I tried connecting to Alexa, and it worked perfectly! This totally eliminated the possibility that it’s a hardware defect and it should be purely a software issue. I don’t know whether Sonos is working on a fix, but looking at how unhelpful Support is, I am starting to have my doubts.

I’ve sent the Sonos support team a message on twitter. Their automatic responds said that they would reply within 30 minutes unless they’re busy. I guess they are because it’s been 24 hours. I’ve asked for a status update on this issue with a link to this thread. I’m going to return my Sonos for now but will let you know if they reply.

I have the same problem

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We are still waiting from Sonos. 

This is very annoying. I have bought Sonos one for the integration with GA and now I am stuck. 

If we had an estimation when the problem will be solved it would be very good.

Either they have found out the problem and it is very serious or still they do not have a  clue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge
Well I'd reached the point where I was going to return my One having tried the pausing trick with little success. However I can confirm that having paused the settings twice it did the trick and Assistant has worked flawlessly for me for well over a week now.

The only other thing I did was to rename each of my Sonos speakers/rooms. By default I'd originally left them as Living Room, Upstairs and Kitchen. I added 'Sonos' in front of each (e.g Sonos Upstairs). I can't see that this should have made any difference, but try pausing again to see if it helps.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I have had good luck so far with my current solution: when this problem develops (could be anything from a few days to a month), I change the local IP address of the Google Assistant speaker in my Sonos One stereo pair. I switch back and forth between two dedicated IP addresses, .71 and .73. To avoid the disruption of resetting my whole network, I use a little Windows utility program called dhcpsrv which acts as a substitute DHCP server on the network and can be set to ignore everything except one MAC address, to which it issues a specified IP address. I can just unplug the speaker, run dhcpsrv on my computer, re-plug the speaker, wait for it to get an IP address, then terminate dhcpsrv (dhcpsrv manages to override the DHCP server in my router, so I don’t even have to turn the normal DHCP server off). Once I do that, normal GA function is restored, and usually lasts for days or weeks until the problem occurs again.