Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Not sure if there are any drawbacks, apparently its used for learning your voice
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey, guys just want to make this thread stronger.

Having the same issue with GA as you guys. My Sonos One is 2 days old and I am very disappointed. GA understands only the Hey Google and after that in the history I can see Unknown Voice Command.

This is the primary reason that I have bought Sonos. I hope Sonos are on to it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Doug Ames 

I am trying to understand how come and this internal IP might be related with the Google servers.

Do you have any idea why this related?

I have completed all the troubleshooting steps in this forum and others without joy. 

Seems to me the only real solution at this point is to get a refund! 

I'm also from the Netherlands and I have the same problem!
I have 2 sonos one's and a sonos beam.

Last week the sonos one in the kitchen wasn't answering (it did respond on the phrase "Hey Google" or "OK Google" but after that it ignored everything). And now the Sonos One in the bedroom isn't responding. The Beam was/is always working well.

I think I fixed the problem by resetting my Google Home and setting only 1 language (Dutch or English) but I found that Google doesn't fully function with only the Dutch language.

Also live in the Netherlands but don't speak Dutch. It used to work awesome till like a week ago and then nothing unless im right next to it like a few cm away ... Don't really know what to do. Maybe its a general issue in NL???
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Doug Ames

I am trying to understand how come and this internal IP might be related with the Google servers.

Do you have any idea why this related?

No, I don’t understand it either. My best guess is that Google has gotten a bit too fancy with their networking code and is taking some kind of efficiency shortcut that doesn’t work properly with Sonos. I see this kind of problem elsewhere as well - Google Home speakers don’t work properly with Home Assistant unless you give them a fixed IP address and tell Home Assistant explicitly what it is. It seems that the GH speakers are not responding to arp commands on the network a lot of the time, leading to loss of contact unless the software trying to communicate knows the fixed IP address for them.

Last week the sonos one in the kitchen wasn't answering (it did respond on the phrase "Hey Google" or "OK Google" but after that it ignored everything). And now the Sonos One in the bedroom isn't responding. The Beam was/is always working well.

I think I fixed the problem by resetting my Google Home and setting only 1 language (Dutch or English) but I found that Google doesn't fully function with only the Dutch language.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

One other thing: this problem affects only Google Assistant. Another one of the things I tried was to go back to Alexa voice assistant on my Sonos One. Alexa worked fine. Switched back to GA - problem returns. I noted that I also had a lot of trouble (can’t find your speaker etc.) and a long delay registering Google Assistant again.

Hi fellow Dutchman 🙂. Could you explain what you mean by "doesn't fully function?" I tried the one language, Dutch, and my experience is that it works on volume control now (albeit way more buggy and unresponsive then when I used it on the English language). But: it doesn't play any song from Spotify with the "speel" = "play" command. It that what you experience too?
Not to mention by the way that when I set my Androind Language to English too, which I tried out yesterday, suddenly "routines" and stuff became possible. Which would be great. But now that is a dream far away, I just want it to play songs and work well on voice command 😞.

(by the way, the Dutch google assistent on my phone DOES play songs from Spotify and understands me, in contrast to the Sonos version.)
So, in short, what works for you and what doesn't now?

In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!As you are from Netherlands, you may need to set both your Sonos online profile country setting and also your Google Assistant language to Netherlands. I think Google 'perhaps' worked with English (United States) during the initial rollout and testing stage, but that may have been been stopped now. So perhaps try switching your language to the correct setting.

Tnx for the reaction! I tried that and it works, kinda ... (see my post above this). At least it can hear me now, but speech recognition on SOME commands is still way worse than the Android Google Assistent. It's weird, I can't really understand a logic behind it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Google Assistant on Sonos supports most of the standard Google Home commands, including device control and running routines, despite what you may be told. It does not support some specific things like making phone calls, sleep timer on media streaming, or access to some services like relaxing sleep sounds that are free to Google Home users. I wish Sonos had an official list, but I guess they don’t want to publish shortcomings. You will find many of the limitations mentioned in this community forum.

Over almost a year now of using GA on Sonos I have seen half a dozen times the issue of GA gradually failing with an increasing rate of “something went wrong” or “there was a glitch”. As per my previous posts, the solution I found is to change the LAN IP address of the Sonos speaker. That always cures the problem immediately for me when nothing else works. I have 2 reserved IP addresses for the main GA speaker in my stereo pair, and I flip it between them whenever this glitch occurs.

My voice and audio controls were already off. Pausing  / Turning all web and App activity off stopped google assistant working altogether, and she said something along the lines of more information required.

Within Activity Controls, go into item view, filter by Assistant, and delete all entries for assistant (effectively clearing cache). Everything now working perfectly. I can now use Google assistant on the beam to play from YouTube Music or Google Play, and Apple Music from Echo with the beam as a preferred speaker.

Leave ‘Include voice and audio recordings’ deselected under web and app activity - It still works, but leads to significant delay in response to voice commands

Hope this helps!

I have a google home mini and sonos one in the same room, when I turn off the mic on google home mini and use Sonos it misses nearly 50% of the commands.

In contrast, google home mini has no problem at all. 

In my activity history, the commands missed by sonos are mentioned as “Unknown voice command”.

It is shocking to see that a 15 euro speaker can do a better job and so many people are having the same problem since months.

Just spoken to the Sonos Support Team on twitter and they can't help me since I've already returned my Sonos One. They say that different people probably have different problems so could some other people contact Sonos support to see if they can fix the problem?

Having the same problem here with a brand nee Arc. I had a Beam just before the Arc which used to work perfectly and now with the new arc. Set up it just recognizes “ok Google” but no commands said after that. Very dissapointed with this new soundbar.. hope someone from Sonos can help us out (I’m also from the Netherlands and have tried the solutions in this thread already)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also live in the Netherlands but don't speak Dutch. It used to work awesome till like a week ago and then nothing unless im right next to it like a few cm away ... Don't really know what to do. Maybe its a general issue in NL???

With the early Alexa integration, just turning the mic off by touching the mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One or Beam and then turning back on after 1-2 secs made a difference. Could be worth a try with GA...

With the early Alexa integration, just turning the mic off by touching the mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One or Beam and then turning back on after 1-2 secs made a difference. Could be worth a try with GA...

I wish it was that simple. I tried everything, clean all apps. Factory rebooted speakers. It used to work fine but since a few weeks it drama. It's now completely useless since if you cant count on the commands to work, it's easier to just use to Sonos app for volume etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I wish it was that simple. I tried everything, clean all apps. Factory rebooted speakers. It used to work fine but since a few weeks it drama. It's now completely useless since if you cant count on the commands to work, it's easier to just use to Sonos app for volume etc
Hi

Can you just confirm your specific issues?
Userlevel 2

Hi all,

During Black Friday I bought 2 Sonos ones. Which I have setup as a stereo pair. During installation I have setup the Google Assistant. At first my setup responded to my questions. For example: “Ok Google, turn on the lights in the bedroom”. But after a couple of hours it the voice assistant completely ignores everything after “Hey Google” of “Ok Google”. I tried to reset both my Sonos devices, I have disabled my voice assistant web and app activity. I have tried to rephrase my questions.. I also tried to remove and re-setup my rooms.. But nothing works. 

I noticed as well. When I plug out the Sonos and plug it in again. The assistant replies to me it has no connection to the internet. And this happens only the first time..

I’m thinking about swapping my Ones to the SL variant and set it up with my previous google mini. But I don’t want to do that. I would expect, if you buy something with a google assistant it should behave like one.. 

Does anyone has another tip I can try to solve the issues I have with my setup?

I found if I turned on the bleep for the initiation phrase of OK Google, then waited until after the bleep to issue the command, I had far better results. Also consider moving the Sonos One away from walls to the left or right.

Hi fellow Dutchman 🙂. Could you explain what you mean by "doesn't fully function?" I tried the one language, Dutch, and my experience is that it works on volume control now (albeit way more buggy and unresponsive then when I used it on the English language). But: it doesn't play any song from Spotify with the "speel" = "play" command. It that what you experience too?
Not to mention by the way that when I set my Androind Language to English too, which I tried out yesterday, suddenly "routines" and stuff became possible. Which would be great. But now that is a dream far away, I just want it to play songs and work well on voice command 😞.

(by the way, the Dutch google assistent on my phone DOES play songs from Spotify and understands me, in contrast to the Sonos version.)
So, in short, what works for you and what doesn't now?

Well I disconnected the Sonos from the Google home and deleted my house on the Google home app. Started from scratch and changed the language to Dutch. But like you said it works very buggy. It has trouble mixing the Dutch language with the English. Like it doesn't always understand when asking to play English titles of netflix shows on the TV. But asking for music works great for example "Speel the Beatles".
Furthermore the Dutch language on Sonos is very unresponsive compared to the English language. Sometimes it just ignores me.

So in other words: if I choose the English language then my bedroom and kitchen Sonos one doesn't play music on command.

If I choose the Dutch language then it doesn't work as fast and easy on all the Sonos one's, most of the time it doesn't understand what I ask to be played on the TV. Which is pretty frustrating.

So it's dilemma. I'll let you know if I found the final answer to the problem.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've been trying to get my new Sonos One to work with Assistant for over two weeks. I've followed all the advice on this, and other, threads and the user guides elsewhere.

Last night after reading about the suggestion to pause the Voice and Audio activity controls I did so and, bingo, it worked - I was over the moon. Until this morning, when my Sonos One reverted back to ignoring me. It's infuriating as it listens to me but ignores most of my requests. Occasionally it actually will react but mostly I have to revert to using the app on my phone to control my music.

I'm on the verge of giving up and returning the unit to the retailer which will be real shame as I've got other Sonos speakers around the house and bought the One to give me voice control of the system.

...and May 2020 is approaching fast, which means EOL for receiving updates if you own older Sonos products.

As I own several such products, I am now facing the choice of receiving a software update, which repairs Google Assistant but requires me to throw out three devices which works perfectly OR I can choose to stay behind leaving the Google Assistant not working. 

I hope the Google Assistant fix will be in a compatible update, but I have a feeling that things will turn out exactly as I fear.

Badge
Yep, it's sonos cause google home mini works perfectly.
Also worked two weeks back, now it doesn't do anything, totally useless..
Sonos is looking into it
Example:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MTru1gJcPQTVAPBs6

...and May 2020 is approaching fast, which means EOL for receiving updates if you own older Sonos products.

As I own several such products, I am now facing the choice of receiving a software update, which repairs Google Assistant but requires me to throw out three devices which works perfectly OR I can choose to stay behind leaving the Google Assistant not working. 

I hope the Google Assistant fix will be in a compatible update, but I have a feeling that things will turn out exactly as I fear.

Or perhaps choose the best of both worlds and opt for the 'split system’, as mentioned in this Sonos publication.

Sonos S1/S2 Overview & Compatibility

Bought a few 2 and assistant getting the unknown voice command issues... After 2wks of messing around I returned and got an exchange... Sonos advised I didn't have the issue you're referring to on this thread, it must be another. New speaker has arrived and guess what, it doesn't work. Given this has been going on with sonos for about a year I'm assuming they can't fix it and therefore seem to be miss selling this product. So very dissapointed in Sonos!