Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Userlevel 2
Just set up new Sonos One with Google assistant.
The Sonos controller works and I can stream radio/music through the Sonos One.
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Currentl in the same boat as everyone here!!!

But I believe I may have actually solved it now by pausing the Voice & Audio Activity controls within google itself... The sonos device seems to be working again now
Userlevel 1
Badge

Nice to see that this thread is still going strong and that, even better, Sonos staff are now involved (thanks @Richard F.

I originally posted, some months ago, that pausing Voice & Audio Activity controls solved the problems with GA. It did, but only for about 2/3 months then, around Xmas time, I encountered all the problems mentioned here and tried all the solutions (I even changed my router) but nothing solved the issue. At best, GA would respond to the first command of the day but after that, nothing.

I’ve had to change the voice assistant for Sonos to Alexa which works flawlessly. However for me, that’s not a solution. I have Andriod phones and tablets and a couple of other Google Assistant enabled portable speakers. I held off buying any new Sonos speakers until GA was included. So I now have some gear that responds to Google Assistant and Sonos that will only work with Alexa - hardly the fully integrated system I was hoping for. So I really hope Sonos do sort this out and I can go back to using GA throughout. I have to say that it does now seem there’s a chance of this happening which, when I originally posted here, didn’t seem that likely. Fingers crossed :)

Also having same problem with unknown voice command with google assistant on recently purchased Sonos One. From this thread it seems issue has been ongoing for over a year so agree with others that the product is mis-sold as being compatible with google assistant. 

Userlevel 2
also Google activity does not show me speaking to the Sonos!
+1

I'm having the same issue, no voice match settings configured, I've done full factory resets of all of Sonos devices, unlinked Sonos account from GA and set it all up again from scratch. I've reset the controller, swapped speakers around to different rooms, still nothing..

Alexa hears me just fine, the actual 'Okay Google' trigger word works perfectly - it just doesn't respond to anything I say after the trigger word.

It worked perfectly fine until late last week.
Badge

Hey @Richard F. - got any updates for us regarding this issue?

Userlevel 1

Same problem for me. I specifically bought the sonos because they’re been heavily advertising it as supporting google assistant, but honestly, it’s completely useless at this point. For two weeks I’ve been able to get Google to respond only once or twice correctly to what I was asking, and 100% of the time the responses are so delayed that it’s completely useless. I’m talking like 30-60 seconds from the time I say my request to the time the google assistant finally responds. And, like I said, 90-95% of the time those responses from google are ‘There was a glitch, please try again in a little while’ or ‘Something went wrong, please try again.’

Has Sonos acknowledged this problem at all? They really shouldn’t advertise a service on their product that’s this broken. Sadly, I’m likely going to be taking this piece of garbage back to the store for a refund, which is a shame as I really would enjoy it if not for this one specific problem. 

Or perhaps choose the best of both worlds and opt for the 'split system’, as mentioned in this Sonos publication.

Sonos S1/S2 Overview & Compatibility

I wasn’t aware of that. Thank you for that information. That is a better approach from Sonos.

myactivity.google.com go there and click on activity controls
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Today I called support about this issue.

Sonos One  employee told me that Sonos one is not responsive because I does not support this command.

She told me that the turn on lights command is not supported!!!!! Nobody there in Sonos is taking responsibility about this issue and every time they are giving us a different excuse about this.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only reason I mentioned it was, it fixed a similar situation that I had with Alexa and so thought it may be worth trying. 

Hello everyone. I know how frustrating this can be for you. We are still working on this issue with Google. We will update this thread when we have more information to share. Thank you for your patience. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi All

Just a thought but if any of you have booted your router whilst trying to resolve this issue, you may now have duplicate IP addresses. 

I’ve also had plenty of trouble with this problem recurring several times over the last several months. Everything will be working fine, then gradually GA on Sonos starts not getting commands (1 minute delay, then “there was a glitch/something went wrong”. Gets worse and worse.

It’s a popular theory that it might be due to a local IP address conflict, but it isn’t. Scratch that explanation from the list.

The first time this happened I tried rebooting the router and the Sonos speakers - no good. I tried disconnecting anything else on the network that has anything to do with Google (Google Home speakers, Android phones and tablets) - no good. I tried unpairing the stereo pair and turning off the 2nd speaker - no good. I tried connecting to ethernet instead of WiFi - no good. I tried connecting to a different router on a different LAN - that cured the problem, but it came right back when I reconnected the Sonos to my regular LAN. Finally one day there was a general power failure, and when power came back the entire LAN rebooted in random order, probably changing the Sonos LAN IP address and many others - and the problem was cured, for about a month before it started again.

It is totally understandable why one would think that this could be an IP address conflict. It was practically the first thing I thought, and I checked thoroughly. But there is no IP address conflict.

I did send logs to Sonos, and they responded that there was “something strange”, but they stopped looking into it when my problem was initially cured.

What I have found that cures it is to assign a different LAN IP address to the Sonos speakers. That cures the problem right away. So now when this problem happens, I flip them back and forth between two dedicated IP addresses (i.e., .71/.72 and .73/.74). That cures the issue for a while. I don’t reboot the router if possible, because that’s a disruption to all the devices on the network, and it doesn’t automatically change existing IP addresses. Instead I use dhcpsrv on my Windows machine to re-assign just the Sonos speakers when they are unplugged/re-plugged.

I have not tried the “clear Google activity” method, but I will give it a test next time. It doesn’t seem likely to me because as I noted above I can cure the problem temporarily by moving my Sonos speaker to a different LAN, and the problem comes right back when it returns to the original LAN.

I might believe that it’s a unique issue between my Netgear router and the Sonos speakers, but in that case I doubt it would be a widespread issue with other people, unless you all have Netgear routers?

Just purchased a Sonos One specifically to replace our Google Home Mini only to find that Google Assistant will not respond.

Having read this thread I'm amazed that this issue has been know for over a year and is still to be resolved.

Sort it out Sonos or one of your loyal users will be jumping ship to a better provider.

I had a similar issue. Since a week, Sonos stopped understanding basic commands like Play Joe Fm on Tune-In or Volume Up or Down. It did react on the Hey Google wake up but didn’t understand a thing after that.

Here is how I fixed it:

I browsed to:

https://myactivity.google.com

Make sure you are logged in with the correct google account.

On that page you see a list of all the commands you ever gave to your google assistant and browsing history.  To make it easier and only see assistant commands, you can press the Filter button and select Assistant.  It will then only show assistant commands.

The long history list seems to confuse Sonos.  So press the “thrash can” button next to Today and all the other dates.  I had to press many times because it keeps the history day by day and there is no delete all history button.

After that, select the main “My Activity” menu on that page and select “Activity Controls”

Uncheck the two boxes in Web & App Activity.  It pauses the recording of all your activity.

This fixed the problems and I could again have a meaningful conversation with my Sonos One.

For example a command like Volume 1 or Volume 2 did not work anymore at all.  Since I went through the above steps, these work again.

Despite the fact that I disabled “Include voice and audio recordings” in the “My Activity” section, it still seems to register all commands in the history.  So I may need to clear this in a month from now again.

It would be great if the Sonos team checks why this activity history is such a problem with the Sonos One. Because it isn’t a problem with other devices like Google’s own Home devices.

Is the google assistant working for general things like weather etc?

Some things to perhaps check...
  • That you ony have one language installed in the GA/GH App.
  • That you have set a “default” premium music subscription service in the GA/GH App.
  • That you have installed the same “default” premium music subscription service in the Sonos App.
  • That the Sonos skill/action/device card is installed in the GA/GH App and that you can see the Sonos devices in your Google Home App.
  • That the GA is installed in the Sonos One “Room Settings” under the “Voice Services” section in the Sonos App.
Userlevel 2
Many Thanks Ken.
I have just set to English but Google assistant works ok on my mobile with the Sonos controller.

Have set 'default' premium music subscription (spotify) but not upgraded my Spotify account yet. I have just been testing using Radio stations.

I can see the Sonos speakers in the GA and as I said get sound from the speakers ok.

Am at work so cannot check your last suggestion at the moment.

Will have another test tonight, really appreciate the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There was an outage yesterday which may have caused this. Can you test and confirm if the problem persists?
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

Got the same issue a day before the outrage was reported. Now it is still there.
The only difference all my commands are stored in Google Activities. Discussed with Sonos Support but they cannot tell something useful. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD
Got the same issue a day before the outrage was reported. Now it is still there.
The only difference all my commands are stored in Google Activities. Discussed with Sonos Support but they cannot tell something useful. Any ideas?

Regardless of the Status page I'm not sure if all of the issues are yet resolved.

Edit: Status page updated to show partial outage...
Hi!

I logged in here, because I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. It was al working perfectly, suddenly a lot of silence. This is the weird stuff:

• On my phone if I use the exact same commands with google assistent (i.e.: "play The Beatles"), it still works perfectly and it can play songs from Spotify. My phone then plays them on the app, not Sonos. So: google assistent can understand my commands.
  • The Sonos One always still perfectly understands "ok google" and can answer "what is the time" every single time (so seems to understand my words). So: the sonos microphone and device still can understand commands.
  • I have tried resetting both the sonos app, the google assistent and the sonos one itself, but no results.
  • Status page seems to be fine.
  • It works perfectly for a couple of weeks, it could switch from Spotify, Tune-in, to volume-up and volume-down so well. My phone would be in another room, so I am sure it was the Sonos system microphone + google assistent working.
  • There is no red/orange/green light. It's just off, and lights up white when I say "ok google".
I live in the Netherlands. My language is set to English (US), used to work perfectly on that. If I set my language to Dutch (language in the Netherlands), still the same problem. I would love to hear suggestions. Already tnx for posting, now I know it's not just me going crazy 😃.

p.s. I worked through all the suggestions above, no results 😞.
Having the exact same problems for the past couple of weeks and I've tried all the suggestions before.
Userlevel 2
Hi Folks,
Google assistant on Sonos would respond to womens voices for 'what is the time' but ignore my voice. if I lowered my voice deeper it would work sometimes.
Using the assistant on my mobile I have no issues so I assume it is Sonos implementation of assistant which is the problem.
Solution - switched to Alexa. No problems understanding anyone.
One for Sonos to check out!
Thanks all
Sonos sounding great by the way.

Same issue here on a new Sonos Move (diagnostic ID: 1477074619)

Google Assistant responds to a handful of basic commands (what time is it, what’s the weather) but never responds for anything more complicated (skip this song, what’s this week’s forecast, what’s my first meeting). 90% of the time, these queries have no response at all or I get “Sorry, something went wrong”.

My Google Home Mini with the same account on the same WiFi has none of these issues.

Here’s what I’ve tried (none of which have worked)

• Factory reset of Move
  • Unlink then relink Assistant in iOS Sonos, Home and Assistant apps
  • Delete and re-install Assistant and Sonos apps
  • Connecting to a different Google account
  • Changing language from UK English to US English

This issue has been happening for months. I bought the Move specifically for its Assistant integration so this is extremely disappointing and Ive wasted hours trying to resolve the issue.

Hi Folks,
Google assistant on Sonos would respond to womens voices for 'what is the time' but ignore my voice. if I lowered my voice deeper it would work sometimes.
Using the assistant on my mobile I have no issues so I assume it is Sonos implementation of assistant which is the problem.
Solution - switched to Alexa. No problems understanding anyone.
One for Sonos to check out!
Thanks all
Sonos sounding great by the way.

Sonos devices do not yet support ‘voice match' with GA, so perhaps see what happens when that feature is switched off in the GA/GH App.