Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

+1

I'm having the same issue, no voice match settings configured, I've done full factory resets of all of Sonos devices, unlinked Sonos account from GA and set it all up again from scratch. I've reset the controller, swapped speakers around to different rooms, still nothing..

Alexa hears me just fine, the actual 'Okay Google' trigger word works perfectly - it just doesn't respond to anything I say after the trigger word.

It worked perfectly fine until late last week.

I have just replied to your post in the other thread.

As an aside, I personally would not factory reset your speakers, that’s usually only ever required as a very last resort. Such 'resets' are unlikely to resolve these type of voice assistant issues and there are plenty of other things you need to check first, before considering resetting your speakers.

Hi,

Dutch speaker from Belgium, but use GA in English: exactly the same issues as other Dutch speakers: Google assistant not working.
Had this issue before, disabled the voice match and changed country in my Sonos profile to the US.
This fixed it, till my flatmates unplugged the speakers a couple of times, till one time I had to re-initialize the whole setup.

Now the GA recognizes my commands, but does’t execute them (while it does without issues on my phone). Interesting to note: when I say “Okay Google” while both my phone and Sonos are within hearing distance, it prioritizes my Sonos (as it always did), this is still the case, so I’m guessing it’s still connecting to the Google server one way or another to make this distinction.

Anyway, I cannot disable voice-match anymore, it has been replaced by an “associate product” screen, I have no products associated, but cannot associate any either (for the sake of debugging).

So now I cannot use my GA anymore, which is the whole reason I bought this speaker for.

If anyone has a new solution: feel free to let me know!

Cheers,
Ben

Userlevel 1
Badge
Having got to the point where I was about to return my Sonos 1 as mentioned above, I did a final check of the settings. I found that in the Assistant settings the Voice and Activity control had reset itself to on. I paused it again and the One started to respond as it did before. That was 4 days ago and I'm happy to say that it's been perfect since the last change. So, in my case at least, pausing it a couple of times has resolved the issue. Might be worth trying the pause trick a few times to see if it works for those still struggling.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve had my Sonos One stereo pair get into this non-responsive state 4 times, but most recently it has been reliable for the past 6 weeks.

Each time I tried every measure I could think of to fix it, and the only thing that worked for me was to force a local IP address change. I still don’t know why that works, but it does work for me. I flip it back and forth between 2 fixed IP addresses now. After the IP address change it returns to normal operation, where it has lasted as short a time as just one day, and as long a time as 8 weeks.

Hi, 

looks like I’m having the exact same issues with our new Sonos one as described above. 

A while ago we bought a beam and the voice control with google assistent (in dutch) works perfectly. We use google home with niko home control so we ask GA a lot. We wanted a microphone upstairs as well so we bought a Sonos one to place in the hallway. The Sonos one literally responded once to a command but after that she only responded to “hey google” and after that nothing happened anymore. In the history I can see “unknown message”. The beam however understands this commands perfectly fine. 

I tried some things mentioned on this forum (delete history, restarting, language,..) but nothing seems to help. 

Guess I just wait here for a solution! :(

Badge

Sadly having the exact same issues. Removing the entire history doesn’t seem to make any difference. Google Home speaker flawlessly picks up every response, while my two €200 Sonos One’s are having difficulties understanding anything that’s said after ‘Hey Google’ (and having no problems catching ‘Hey Google’…)

Chiming in with the same problem, and damn I wish I’d thought to google this before buying my damn Sonos One.

I’ve tried the steps outlined in this thread, re deleting and pausing Google activity, etc. Followed the instructions to the letter. Really made no worthwhile difference to my experience.

I can get it to accept my instructions maybe once out of every 4 attempts, and some of them won’t work at all. 

“Hey Google, play Pearl Jam” 

“Okay, playing Pearl Jam in YouTube Music. ...sorry, I can’t find what you’re looking fer” (that’s right, it says ‘fer’, not ‘for’)

Some others will work, like requesting Fleetwood Mac, Niki & the Dove… but when I asked for Pink Floyd, it gave me the same problem I got with Pearl Jam (does it hate bands that start with p?!)

There’s no rhyme or reason to it. 

Anyway, I’ll be returning mine tomorrow. Apparently Apple is opening the Homepod up to Spotify, so maybe I’ll get one of those (I use an iPhone, but I’m ex-Android so I’m used to using Google (and Siri is garbage)). 

But I dunno, maybe I’ll just get some other Google Assistant speaker like the Bose Portable Home or that LG ThinQ one with the dumb product code for a mode name (don’t hurt yourself trying to think of a name, LG...) 

Hi all,

During Black Friday I bought 2 Sonos ones. Which I have setup as a stereo pair. During installation I have setup the Google Assistant. At first my setup responded to my questions. For example: “Ok Google, turn on the lights in the bedroom”. But after a couple of hours it the voice assistant completely ignores everything after “Hey Google” of “Ok Google”. I tried to reset both my Sonos devices, I have disabled my voice assistant web and app activity. I have tried to rephrase my questions.. I also tried to remove and re-setup my rooms.. But nothing works. 

I noticed as well. When I plug out the Sonos and plug it in again. The assistant replies to me it has no connection to the internet. And this happens only the first time..

I’m thinking about swapping my Ones to the SL variant and set it up with my previous google mini. But I don’t want to do that. I would expect, if you buy something with a google assistant it should behave like one.. 

Does anyone has another tip I can try to solve the issues I have with my setup?

I found something interesting. You have noticed that the Sonos is flawless in understanding Hey Google. After that doesn't understand a thing. It seems that the first few seconds after the confirmation tone, it does not seem to listen at all.

Lately, I wait about 3 seconds after the confimation tone to say the command. It appears to understand things much better using this method. Of course it is still a far cry from the real Google assistance experience. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have discovered that every morning at around 7:30-8 am GMT+2 GA works just perfect. Is this a coincidence?

Can someone confirm that?

Thanks.  I have all my Sonos devices on a fixed IP, I found that helped with the occasional “blip” when one set of speakers became disconnected.  

I already used Alexa but wasn't very happy with some aspects of it.  I got a free Google mini and decided to try it. I found Google harder to set up and then it would not respond from Sonos speaker,  When using Google assistant on my phone, I kept getting a message about “my music service doesn’t support something (can’t remember full message).  If there was a way to make a non Google music service the default, I was not able to find it.  It only supports Google calendar.  I still had my Alexa and just linked it back up.  Still an occasional issue (non responsive, just speaking on its own, giving a response that has absolutely nothing to do with the question). I find that it works very consistently with controlling SONOS, with some use of a “manual” remote for volume control. Voice control is not really there completely, but Alexa is far ahead of Google.

This trick doesn’t seem to work with mine, however the speaker finally managed to understand something and she started playing a toilet flushing sound as a response 😩😩😩 it’s sort of progression i guess... 

Hello @mjanssen. Welcome to the community. Please Submit a diagnostic from your system, and reply back with that confirmation number. 

I’m jumping on this thread, as I also have huge problems with Google Assistant on Sonos One.

My experience is as follows:

When saying “OK Google” the Sonos One always responds with the ready beep. Never any problem here.

When speaking one of three things happen:

1. The light blinks (processing) for a few seconds, and then goes dim without any response.
  2. The light stays on even though I stop speaking. After 3-5 seconds it goes dim without any response.
  3. About 10 % of the time, the light blinks (processing) and I get a proper response.

I have tried speaking the same commands to Google Assistant on my phone, without any problems.

I bought the Sonos One late October 2019, and at that point it worked perfectly. It seems like the service deteriorated about a month later to the current unuseable condition. 

I have submitted a diagnostic with ID 1461227675

Userlevel 2
Hi Folks,
Alexa still working fine so that is my 'fix'!
just as easy to set up and use as Google assistant.
Good luck
DD
I have contacted support via twitter as well. Like i mentioned in my previous post, by pausing the voice and audio activity controls, my One is still not responding as expected. It makes the Google assistent function useless to me.

Sonos responded: Thanks for confirming. So we can gather more information about your setup, provide the make and model of your modem, router, and any other attached network devices.

I feel this is going nowhere.
Is pausing the voice and audio activity controls really working out for everyone here?
I am at a point of considering returning the device.

Hello everyone. @DonSahl, welcome to the community, and thank you for submitting that diagnostic. 

Thanks for the update. Our team is investigating and working with Google on implementing a fix. It seems like this is only prominent on Sonos One Generation Two’s. If you have a Generation One, or a Beam, then Assistant should work from those devices. Alternatively, you can add Alexa to your speakers to use voice control, as it is unaffected. We will update this thread when we have more information to share. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hi Folks,
Alexa still working fine so that is my 'fix'!
just as easy to set up and use as Google assistant.
Good luck
DD

My current preferred voice assistant too. The Google integration features still have someways to go to be on par.

This is soooooo annoying!

I am having the same issue. My setup:

iPhone 11 pro

Netherlands

Language English USA

Sonos One

What helped:

Deleting all my Google history including the Google assistant of course.

The restarting the Sonos One and pressing the play button.

Problem is that sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn’t.

I agree. Even after doing the history clear. It is still hard to have the Sonos understand the volume commands. It worked so well initially. Just got another update from Sonos but still same problem.

I’m having the same issue. I have had a Google Home in the kitchen for 2+ years and works great. I wanted better audio for music. A month or so ago, got a One Gen2. The same behaviour as others has identified. Works and then gets worse, unresponsive. I have enough fun playing with my network - not even going to do the two status IP switching.

I’m to the point where I’ll just run the one from my phone for music and put Google Home back in the Kitchen, BTW, my wife uses it all the time. You think I’m not happy, ha. I’m having a party compared to her reaction.

I’ll check back to this post from time to time in the hope that Sonos works out the issue.

Would like to add myself to the list of ppl having problems with Google Assistant being unresponsive. Have tried pausing Voice and Audio Activity, but it's still not responding to any of my queries. It does successfully answer, like 1 time out of every 10 attempts. The rest of the 9 attempts are just silence. 

The thing is, the microphone does pick up my "OK Google" command very well, but after the chime , it just stays quiet. 

Am currently in touch with Support right now, going through a whole laundry list of troubleshooting steps to isolate the problem. Sigh. 

Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here
Userlevel 1
Badge
How do tou do that?
Also having this issue on my Sonos One Gen 2. Ok, Google works fine most of the time there is no response at all and it just cancels the request. Been happening for weeks now and it seems to be getting worse. Is Sonos looking in to this?