Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Userlevel 2
Just set up new Sonos One with Google assistant.
The Sonos controller works and I can stream radio/music through the Sonos One.
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Disconnect Spotify from Sonos and connect it again! It worked for me

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

During Black Friday I bought 2 Sonos ones. Which I have setup as a stereo pair. During installation I have setup the Google Assistant. At first my setup responded to my questions. For example: “Ok Google, turn on the lights in the bedroom”. But after a couple of hours it the voice assistant completely ignores everything after “Hey Google” of “Ok Google”. I tried to reset both my Sonos devices, I have disabled my voice assistant web and app activity. I have tried to rephrase my questions.. I also tried to remove and re-setup my rooms.. But nothing works. 

I noticed as well. When I plug out the Sonos and plug it in again. The assistant replies to me it has no connection to the internet. And this happens only the first time..

I’m thinking about swapping my Ones to the SL variant and set it up with my previous google mini. But I don’t want to do that. I would expect, if you buy something with a google assistant it should behave like one.. 

Does anyone has another tip I can try to solve the issues I have with my setup?

I found if I turned on the bleep for the initiation phrase of OK Google, then waited until after the bleep to issue the command, I had far better results. Also consider moving the Sonos One away from walls to the left or right.

Hi all,

During Black Friday I bought 2 Sonos ones. Which I have setup as a stereo pair. During installation I have setup the Google Assistant. At first my setup responded to my questions. For example: “Ok Google, turn on the lights in the bedroom”. But after a couple of hours it the voice assistant completely ignores everything after “Hey Google” of “Ok Google”. I tried to reset both my Sonos devices, I have disabled my voice assistant web and app activity. I have tried to rephrase my questions.. I also tried to remove and re-setup my rooms.. But nothing works. 

I noticed as well. When I plug out the Sonos and plug it in again. The assistant replies to me it has no connection to the internet. And this happens only the first time..

I’m thinking about swapping my Ones to the SL variant and set it up with my previous google mini. But I don’t want to do that. I would expect, if you buy something with a google assistant it should behave like one.. 

Does anyone has another tip I can try to solve the issues I have with my setup?

Just purchased a Sonos One specifically to replace our Google Home Mini only to find that Google Assistant will not respond.

Having read this thread I'm amazed that this issue has been know for over a year and is still to be resolved.

Sort it out Sonos or one of your loyal users will be jumping ship to a better provider.

Chiming in with the same problem, and damn I wish I’d thought to google this before buying my damn Sonos One.

I’ve tried the steps outlined in this thread, re deleting and pausing Google activity, etc. Followed the instructions to the letter. Really made no worthwhile difference to my experience.

I can get it to accept my instructions maybe once out of every 4 attempts, and some of them won’t work at all. 

“Hey Google, play Pearl Jam” 

“Okay, playing Pearl Jam in YouTube Music. ...sorry, I can’t find what you’re looking fer” (that’s right, it says ‘fer’, not ‘for’)

Some others will work, like requesting Fleetwood Mac, Niki & the Dove… but when I asked for Pink Floyd, it gave me the same problem I got with Pearl Jam (does it hate bands that start with p?!)

There’s no rhyme or reason to it. 

Anyway, I’ll be returning mine tomorrow. Apparently Apple is opening the Homepod up to Spotify, so maybe I’ll get one of those (I use an iPhone, but I’m ex-Android so I’m used to using Google (and Siri is garbage)). 

But I dunno, maybe I’ll just get some other Google Assistant speaker like the Bose Portable Home or that LG ThinQ one with the dumb product code for a mode name (don’t hurt yourself trying to think of a name, LG...) 

Having the same problem here with a brand nee Arc. I had a Beam just before the Arc which used to work perfectly and now with the new arc. Set up it just recognizes “ok Google” but no commands said after that. Very dissapointed with this new soundbar.. hope someone from Sonos can help us out (I’m also from the Netherlands and have tried the solutions in this thread already)

Thanks.  I have all my Sonos devices on a fixed IP, I found that helped with the occasional “blip” when one set of speakers became disconnected.  

I already used Alexa but wasn't very happy with some aspects of it.  I got a free Google mini and decided to try it. I found Google harder to set up and then it would not respond from Sonos speaker,  When using Google assistant on my phone, I kept getting a message about “my music service doesn’t support something (can’t remember full message).  If there was a way to make a non Google music service the default, I was not able to find it.  It only supports Google calendar.  I still had my Alexa and just linked it back up.  Still an occasional issue (non responsive, just speaking on its own, giving a response that has absolutely nothing to do with the question). I find that it works very consistently with controlling SONOS, with some use of a “manual” remote for volume control. Voice control is not really there completely, but Alexa is far ahead of Google.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Google Assistant on Sonos supports most of the standard Google Home commands, including device control and running routines, despite what you may be told. It does not support some specific things like making phone calls, sleep timer on media streaming, or access to some services like relaxing sleep sounds that are free to Google Home users. I wish Sonos had an official list, but I guess they don’t want to publish shortcomings. You will find many of the limitations mentioned in this community forum.

Over almost a year now of using GA on Sonos I have seen half a dozen times the issue of GA gradually failing with an increasing rate of “something went wrong” or “there was a glitch”. As per my previous posts, the solution I found is to change the LAN IP address of the Sonos speaker. That always cures the problem immediately for me when nothing else works. I have 2 reserved IP addresses for the main GA speaker in my stereo pair, and I flip it between them whenever this glitch occurs.

I can’t get Sonos to recognize hey google at all. Have through the link process multiple times. Sonos shows in the google assistant and home apps. Voice control of Sonos is basically worthless. I tried Alexa but it never played on the correct speakers but at least it recognized my voice. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Today I called support about this issue.

Sonos One  employee told me that Sonos one is not responsive because I does not support this command.

She told me that the turn on lights command is not supported!!!!! Nobody there in Sonos is taking responsibility about this issue and every time they are giving us a different excuse about this.

UNACCEPTABLE.

I’m having the same issue. I have had a Google Home in the kitchen for 2+ years and works great. I wanted better audio for music. A month or so ago, got a One Gen2. The same behaviour as others has identified. Works and then gets worse, unresponsive. I have enough fun playing with my network - not even going to do the two status IP switching.

I’m to the point where I’ll just run the one from my phone for music and put Google Home back in the Kitchen, BTW, my wife uses it all the time. You think I’m not happy, ha. I’m having a party compared to her reaction.

I’ll check back to this post from time to time in the hope that Sonos works out the issue.

Also having same problem with unknown voice command with google assistant on recently purchased Sonos One. From this thread it seems issue has been ongoing for over a year so agree with others that the product is mis-sold as being compatible with google assistant. 

Just set up new Sonos One with Google assistant.
The Sonos controller works and I can stream radio/music through the Sonos One.
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm having the same problem on my Sonos One (Gen2) speaker

Bought a few 2 and assistant getting the unknown voice command issues... After 2wks of messing around I returned and got an exchange... Sonos advised I didn't have the issue you're referring to on this thread, it must be another. New speaker has arrived and guess what, it doesn't work. Given this has been going on with sonos for about a year I'm assuming they can't fix it and therefore seem to be miss selling this product. So very dissapointed in Sonos!

mine is about to be return also, a $400 speaker, this thing should work as advertised. mine ignores anything said after “ok google” Guess i’ll try the smaller bose portable speaker and see if theirs works as advertised with GS it’s $50 less.

Bought a few 2 and assistant getting the unknown voice command issues... After 2wks of messing around I returned and got an exchange... Sonos advised I didn't have the issue you're referring to on this thread, it must be another. New speaker has arrived and guess what, it doesn't work. Given this has been going on with sonos for about a year I'm assuming they can't fix it and therefore seem to be miss selling this product. So very dissapointed in Sonos!

Or perhaps choose the best of both worlds and opt for the 'split system’, as mentioned in this Sonos publication.

Sonos S1/S2 Overview & Compatibility

I wasn’t aware of that. Thank you for that information. That is a better approach from Sonos.

Hi,

Dutch speaker from Belgium, but use GA in English: exactly the same issues as other Dutch speakers: Google assistant not working.
Had this issue before, disabled the voice match and changed country in my Sonos profile to the US.
This fixed it, till my flatmates unplugged the speakers a couple of times, till one time I had to re-initialize the whole setup.

Now the GA recognizes my commands, but does’t execute them (while it does without issues on my phone). Interesting to note: when I say “Okay Google” while both my phone and Sonos are within hearing distance, it prioritizes my Sonos (as it always did), this is still the case, so I’m guessing it’s still connecting to the Google server one way or another to make this distinction.

Anyway, I cannot disable voice-match anymore, it has been replaced by an “associate product” screen, I have no products associated, but cannot associate any either (for the sake of debugging).

So now I cannot use my GA anymore, which is the whole reason I bought this speaker for.

If anyone has a new solution: feel free to let me know!

Cheers,
Ben

...and May 2020 is approaching fast, which means EOL for receiving updates if you own older Sonos products.

As I own several such products, I am now facing the choice of receiving a software update, which repairs Google Assistant but requires me to throw out three devices which works perfectly OR I can choose to stay behind leaving the Google Assistant not working. 

I hope the Google Assistant fix will be in a compatible update, but I have a feeling that things will turn out exactly as I fear.

Or perhaps choose the best of both worlds and opt for the 'split system’, as mentioned in this Sonos publication.

Sonos S1/S2 Overview & Compatibility

...and May 2020 is approaching fast, which means EOL for receiving updates if you own older Sonos products.

As I own several such products, I am now facing the choice of receiving a software update, which repairs Google Assistant but requires me to throw out three devices which works perfectly OR I can choose to stay behind leaving the Google Assistant not working. 

I hope the Google Assistant fix will be in a compatible update, but I have a feeling that things will turn out exactly as I fear.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve had my Sonos One stereo pair get into this non-responsive state 4 times, but most recently it has been reliable for the past 6 weeks.

Each time I tried every measure I could think of to fix it, and the only thing that worked for me was to force a local IP address change. I still don’t know why that works, but it does work for me. I flip it back and forth between 2 fixed IP addresses now. After the IP address change it returns to normal operation, where it has lasted as short a time as just one day, and as long a time as 8 weeks.

Same issue here on a new Sonos Move (diagnostic ID: 1477074619)

Google Assistant responds to a handful of basic commands (what time is it, what’s the weather) but never responds for anything more complicated (skip this song, what’s this week’s forecast, what’s my first meeting). 90% of the time, these queries have no response at all or I get “Sorry, something went wrong”.

My Google Home Mini with the same account on the same WiFi has none of these issues.

Here’s what I’ve tried (none of which have worked)

• Factory reset of Move
  • Unlink then relink Assistant in iOS Sonos, Home and Assistant apps
  • Delete and re-install Assistant and Sonos apps
  • Connecting to a different Google account
  • Changing language from UK English to US English

This issue has been happening for months. I bought the Move specifically for its Assistant integration so this is extremely disappointing and Ive wasted hours trying to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Doug Ames 

I have tried your solution multiple times getting different IP addresses.

The result is the same. No response.

@Sonos Support ,

Do we have, any permanent solution do this or at least a temporary one? 

Did you manage to pinpoint the problem?

It’s a long time since this issue appeared.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have discovered that every morning at around 7:30-8 am GMT+2 GA works just perfect. Is this a coincidence?

Can someone confirm that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Doug Ames

I am trying to understand how come and this internal IP might be related with the Google servers.

Do you have any idea why this related?

No, I don’t understand it either. My best guess is that Google has gotten a bit too fancy with their networking code and is taking some kind of efficiency shortcut that doesn’t work properly with Sonos. I see this kind of problem elsewhere as well - Google Home speakers don’t work properly with Home Assistant unless you give them a fixed IP address and tell Home Assistant explicitly what it is. It seems that the GH speakers are not responding to arp commands on the network a lot of the time, leading to loss of contact unless the software trying to communicate knows the fixed IP address for them.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Doug Ames 

I am trying to understand how come and this internal IP might be related with the Google servers.

Do you have any idea why this related?