Google assistant on Sonos one not responding

Userlevel 2
Just set up new Sonos One with Google assistant.
The Sonos controller works and I can stream radio/music through the Sonos One.
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 2
also Google activity does not show me speaking to the Sonos!
Is the google assistant working for general things like weather etc?

Some things to perhaps check...
  • That you ony have one language installed in the GA/GH App.
  • That you have set a “default” premium music subscription service in the GA/GH App.
  • That you have installed the same “default” premium music subscription service in the Sonos App.
  • That the Sonos skill/action/device card is installed in the GA/GH App and that you can see the Sonos devices in your Google Home App.
  • That the GA is installed in the Sonos One “Room Settings” under the “Voice Services” section in the Sonos App.
Userlevel 2
Many Thanks Ken.
I have just set to English but Google assistant works ok on my mobile with the Sonos controller.

Have set 'default' premium music subscription (spotify) but not upgraded my Spotify account yet. I have just been testing using Radio stations.

I can see the Sonos speakers in the GA and as I said get sound from the speakers ok.

Am at work so cannot check your last suggestion at the moment.

Will have another test tonight, really appreciate the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There was an outage yesterday which may have caused this. Can you test and confirm if the problem persists?
If I speak to the Sonos, the music goes quiet so the microphone hears me saying 'ok google', however I get no response from Google.
If I speak with my Google Assistant mobile device active, then Google response does come from the Sonos.
Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD

Got the same issue a day before the outrage was reported. Now it is still there.
The only difference all my commands are stored in Google Activities. Discussed with Sonos Support but they cannot tell something useful. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Any ideas Guys?
Thanks
DD
Got the same issue a day before the outrage was reported. Now it is still there.
The only difference all my commands are stored in Google Activities. Discussed with Sonos Support but they cannot tell something useful. Any ideas?

Regardless of the Status page I'm not sure if all of the issues are yet resolved.

Edit: Status page updated to show partial outage...
Hi!

I logged in here, because I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. It was al working perfectly, suddenly a lot of silence. This is the weird stuff:

• On my phone if I use the exact same commands with google assistent (i.e.: "play The Beatles"), it still works perfectly and it can play songs from Spotify. My phone then plays them on the app, not Sonos. So: google assistent can understand my commands.
  • The Sonos One always still perfectly understands "ok google" and can answer "what is the time" every single time (so seems to understand my words). So: the sonos microphone and device still can understand commands.
  • I have tried resetting both the sonos app, the google assistent and the sonos one itself, but no results.
  • Status page seems to be fine.
  • It works perfectly for a couple of weeks, it could switch from Spotify, Tune-in, to volume-up and volume-down so well. My phone would be in another room, so I am sure it was the Sonos system microphone + google assistent working.
  • There is no red/orange/green light. It's just off, and lights up white when I say "ok google".
I live in the Netherlands. My language is set to English (US), used to work perfectly on that. If I set my language to Dutch (language in the Netherlands), still the same problem. I would love to hear suggestions. Already tnx for posting, now I know it's not just me going crazy 😃.

p.s. I worked through all the suggestions above, no results 😞.
Having the exact same problems for the past couple of weeks and I've tried all the suggestions before.
Userlevel 2
Hi Folks,
Google assistant on Sonos would respond to womens voices for 'what is the time' but ignore my voice. if I lowered my voice deeper it would work sometimes.
Using the assistant on my mobile I have no issues so I assume it is Sonos implementation of assistant which is the problem.
Solution - switched to Alexa. No problems understanding anyone.
One for Sonos to check out!
Thanks all
Sonos sounding great by the way.
Hi Folks,
Google assistant on Sonos would respond to womens voices for 'what is the time' but ignore my voice. if I lowered my voice deeper it would work sometimes.
Using the assistant on my mobile I have no issues so I assume it is Sonos implementation of assistant which is the problem.
Solution - switched to Alexa. No problems understanding anyone.
One for Sonos to check out!
Thanks all
Sonos sounding great by the way.

Sonos devices do not yet support ‘voice match' with GA, so perhaps see what happens when that feature is switched off in the GA/GH App.
+1

I'm having the same issue, no voice match settings configured, I've done full factory resets of all of Sonos devices, unlinked Sonos account from GA and set it all up again from scratch. I've reset the controller, swapped speakers around to different rooms, still nothing..

Alexa hears me just fine, the actual 'Okay Google' trigger word works perfectly - it just doesn't respond to anything I say after the trigger word.

It worked perfectly fine until late last week.
+1

I'm having the same issue, no voice match settings configured, I've done full factory resets of all of Sonos devices, unlinked Sonos account from GA and set it all up again from scratch. I've reset the controller, swapped speakers around to different rooms, still nothing..

Alexa hears me just fine, the actual 'Okay Google' trigger word works perfectly - it just doesn't respond to anything I say after the trigger word.

It worked perfectly fine until late last week.

I have just replied to your post in the other thread.

As an aside, I personally would not factory reset your speakers, that’s usually only ever required as a very last resort. Such 'resets' are unlikely to resolve these type of voice assistant issues and there are plenty of other things you need to check first, before considering resetting your speakers.
Userlevel 2
Hi Folks,
Alexa still working fine so that is my 'fix'!
just as easy to set up and use as Google assistant.
Good luck
DD
Hi Folks,
Alexa still working fine so that is my 'fix'!
just as easy to set up and use as Google assistant.
Good luck
DD

My current preferred voice assistant too. The Google integration features still have someways to go to be on par.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here
In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!
In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!
As you are from Netherlands, you may need to set both your Sonos online profile country setting and also your Google Assistant language to Netherlands. I think Google 'perhaps' worked with English (United States) during the initial rollout and testing stage, but that may have been been stopped now. So perhaps try switching your language to the correct setting.
I'm also from the Netherlands and I have the same problem!
I have 2 sonos one's and a sonos beam.

Last week the sonos one in the kitchen wasn't answering (it did respond on the phrase "Hey Google" or "OK Google" but after that it ignored everything). And now the Sonos One in the bedroom isn't responding. The Beam was/is always working well.

I think I fixed the problem by resetting my Google Home and setting only 1 language (Dutch or English) but I found that Google doesn't fully function with only the Dutch language.

Last week the sonos one in the kitchen wasn't answering (it did respond on the phrase "Hey Google" or "OK Google" but after that it ignored everything). And now the Sonos One in the bedroom isn't responding. The Beam was/is always working well.

I think I fixed the problem by resetting my Google Home and setting only 1 language (Dutch or English) but I found that Google doesn't fully function with only the Dutch language.

Hi fellow Dutchman 🙂. Could you explain what you mean by "doesn't fully function?" I tried the one language, Dutch, and my experience is that it works on volume control now (albeit way more buggy and unresponsive then when I used it on the English language). But: it doesn't play any song from Spotify with the "speel" = "play" command. It that what you experience too?
Not to mention by the way that when I set my Androind Language to English too, which I tried out yesterday, suddenly "routines" and stuff became possible. Which would be great. But now that is a dream far away, I just want it to play songs and work well on voice command 😞.

(by the way, the Dutch google assistent on my phone DOES play songs from Spotify and understands me, in contrast to the Sonos version.)
So, in short, what works for you and what doesn't now?

In my country I can't use Elexa. If someone has a solution I still would love to hear it!As you are from Netherlands, you may need to set both your Sonos online profile country setting and also your Google Assistant language to Netherlands. I think Google 'perhaps' worked with English (United States) during the initial rollout and testing stage, but that may have been been stopped now. So perhaps try switching your language to the correct setting.

Tnx for the reaction! I tried that and it works, kinda ... (see my post above this). At least it can hear me now, but speech recognition on SOME commands is still way worse than the Android Google Assistent. It's weird, I can't really understand a logic behind it.

Hi fellow Dutchman 🙂. Could you explain what you mean by "doesn't fully function?" I tried the one language, Dutch, and my experience is that it works on volume control now (albeit way more buggy and unresponsive then when I used it on the English language). But: it doesn't play any song from Spotify with the "speel" = "play" command. It that what you experience too?
Not to mention by the way that when I set my Androind Language to English too, which I tried out yesterday, suddenly "routines" and stuff became possible. Which would be great. But now that is a dream far away, I just want it to play songs and work well on voice command 😞.

(by the way, the Dutch google assistent on my phone DOES play songs from Spotify and understands me, in contrast to the Sonos version.)
So, in short, what works for you and what doesn't now?

Well I disconnected the Sonos from the Google home and deleted my house on the Google home app. Started from scratch and changed the language to Dutch. But like you said it works very buggy. It has trouble mixing the Dutch language with the English. Like it doesn't always understand when asking to play English titles of netflix shows on the TV. But asking for music works great for example "Speel the Beatles".
Furthermore the Dutch language on Sonos is very unresponsive compared to the English language. Sometimes it just ignores me.

So in other words: if I choose the English language then my bedroom and kitchen Sonos one doesn't play music on command.

If I choose the Dutch language then it doesn't work as fast and easy on all the Sonos one's, most of the time it doesn't understand what I ask to be played on the TV. Which is pretty frustrating.

So it's dilemma. I'll let you know if I found the final answer to the problem.

Also live in the Netherlands but don't speak Dutch. It used to work awesome till like a week ago and then nothing unless im right next to it like a few cm away ... Don't really know what to do. Maybe its a general issue in NL???
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also live in the Netherlands but don't speak Dutch. It used to work awesome till like a week ago and then nothing unless im right next to it like a few cm away ... Don't really know what to do. Maybe its a general issue in NL???

With the early Alexa integration, just turning the mic off by touching the mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One or Beam and then turning back on after 1-2 secs made a difference. Could be worth a try with GA...

With the early Alexa integration, just turning the mic off by touching the mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One or Beam and then turning back on after 1-2 secs made a difference. Could be worth a try with GA...

I wish it was that simple. I tried everything, clean all apps. Factory rebooted speakers. It used to work fine but since a few weeks it drama. It's now completely useless since if you cant count on the commands to work, it's easier to just use to Sonos app for volume etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I wish it was that simple. I tried everything, clean all apps. Factory rebooted speakers. It used to work fine but since a few weeks it drama. It's now completely useless since if you cant count on the commands to work, it's easier to just use to Sonos app for volume etc
Hi

Can you just confirm your specific issues?