Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to support this request and for sharing your point of view.  We hear and understand the request for further information but have nothing new to share at this time.  

When we have news to share, this thread will be among the first to know.

John, Surface was the biggest selling sku at Best Buy over the Black Friday weekend, outselling iPad and Android.  What are you waiting for?
Will buy a Nokia Lumia 925, soon! Guess I'll have to put my Sonos Play:5 on eBay. Too sad....
Userlevel 1
@Claes Absolutely spot on! @John. Sticking your head in the sand and hoping users stop asking for this request won't work! I suggest you let us know what the plans are, rather than 'under consideration'. You owe it to your user base!
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to support this request and for sharing your point of view.  We hear and understand the request for further information but have nothing new to share at this time.  

@John,

This idea have been under consideration for over a year and i think many of your users would like to understand what you are waiting for!

On your website i can read following:
" Control every room, from any device.
The Sonos Controller App lets you browse and play your music from any device. Use your smartphone, tablet, or computer to stream different songs in each room, group rooms together, or hear the same beat everywhere."

@John, is this statement true? Can you please advice how to Control the Sonos system with Windows Phone 8 which I consider is a smartphone?
Can you also advice how to Control the Sonos system with Microsoft Surface which i consider is a tablet?

Why is this topic still under consideration from Sonos? If you dont have any concrete plans to design a app for the Windows ecosystem, please communicate this to your customers who have been waiting for more than a year!!

Please!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello everyone,

Microsoft should, without question, purchase Sonos but I bet something is already in the works with Google or Apple. MS has a tendency to miss brilliant opportunities like this. They would gain so much, not only from the streaming music side but entertainment as well (now that Sonos offers a sound bar/theater solution). Sonos would also be the perfect matchup with XBOX ONE. Personally, I'm amazed that a larger company hasn't acquired Sonos yet. It didn't take long for Google to gobble up NEST. So many companies have tried to replicate Sonos' recipe and failed, if you can't beat them... buy them! I would be content with just a controller app but only Sonos knows what the future holds.
Hello everyone,

I am selling my Sonos as it just gather dust having moved to a Windows Phone and I am not paying to install Phonos. Poor show on Sonos for not integrating its systems across all platforms - think I might explore something with my Solicitors along the lines of selling a product not fit for purpose.
Hello everyone,

I like that idea, Microsoft buying Sonos, until then I can share that I have stopped purchasing Sonos products. I can also share that I have stopped recommending Sonos.

See not really hard to share directions. Are you building the app or not? If not, Sonos products have no future in my household.
Userlevel 1
Hello everyone,

My conspiracy theory...

Sonos needs a buyer to return capital to founder and investors.  Most major consumer tech device companies have their own home music system solutions that compete with Sonos (Apple, Samsung, Sony, etc...and Google has at least tried making their own).  That makes each of these companies unlikely buyers.  The music subscription services out there are still figuring out their long-term business models and can't afford to acquire and manage their own hardware, not to mention it would create a conflict of interest with cross-provider compatibility.

And then there is Microsoft...a tech behemoth that has made it very clear they want to own the living room.  Sonos had a whole home offering for the most part but lacked any real home theatre solution until just under a year ago.  Microsoft has no solution for home audio hardware.  Sonos would be a perfect stop-gap and Sonos know's that.  Sonos is in an excellent position to effectively hold Microsoft hostage by not supporting any of their services (xbox, windows phone, windows 8 touch).

Some time back Sonos mentioned they had nothing to share on the phone offering but that they were heading in a very positive direction.  It seems highly doubtful, throughout the entire xbox one design process, that it failed to cross anyone's mind at Microsoft about how to best provide seamless audio integration for the xbox one and also allow xbox music to better penetrate users' homes. 

These parties have undoubtedly talked.  Sonos needs leverage to get the price they want.  There are probably internal versions of the software supporting each Microsoft platform.

Sonos, please release an app already.

Microsoft, it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea for you to buy Sonos.  Might afford you a large number of user on android or iPhone that just might make xbox their home media device of choice if you had a full suite offering.  Not to mention, you need something to compete against Apple and Samsung's home audio solutions.
Hello everyone,

Any news???
Hello everyone,

Add me to the list of people that are waiting to drop $1500+ on Sonos products until my Windows phone / WinRT tablet can control them. 
Hello everyone,

I have learned that Windows 8 has built in security that Sonos cannot bypass.  It seems Sonos prefers an unobstructed pathway, via your router, into your home network.  One can only guess what Sonos will do once inside your computer.
Userlevel 2
Hello everyone,

Would you be willing to share the number of votes needed for this specific request?
Hello everyone,

Disappointing that this is the response from Sonos after such ardent campaigning from your customers.   Be straight with people - are you developing something?, is there an impediment to doing this?; or is it just that you don't want to?
Userlevel 2
Hello everyone,

I'd like to give my humble support for the request to have Apps for the Win8, Win RT, WP8 platforms. I cannot believe, it was too burdensome to downgrade the xisting Windows Computer App to work in the new MS envirnonment.
Hello everyone,

Surely you should make an app for these platforms (Win8, WP8)?? People are buying your very expensive products who have devices which use these operating systems and they are forced to use alternative apps (phonos) to get the best out of them. That is very poor
Hello everyone,

Sure the cost of supporting Windows will be far outweighed by the additional systems you would sell? I'm not an IT expert but in my simple brain it can't be that expensive? I really want to purchase Sonos (need 6 amps) but simply can't until you action this....
Hello everyone,

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/bythenumbers/index.html?utm_source=buffer

Surface is also selling great now...time to feed the 100's of million users
Hello everyone,

Can you tell us if you guys are at least working on it? Can we beta test? Do you need help developing?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello everyone,

"nothing new to share at this time" – Shocking (inject sarcasm). Essentially Sonos is saying to its Windows Phone 8/RT customers; scream all you like… a native app is not going to happen. With Google’s recent purchase of NEST, it wouldn’t surprise me if something similar was in the works with Sonos. At least NEST was open with their customers and flat out said a native Windows Phone 8 app wasn’t going to happen. This is extremely disappointing for those of us who have already invested a lot in Sonos. A sub and a Play:1 were in my hands the other day and after thinking about this thread, I put them down and walked away.  
Userlevel 1
Seriously need this app on WP8. Having to keep hold of an old Android device purely for Sonos control isn't ideal. Phonos app on WP8 is awful also. A for effort though, but still awful.
Hello everyone,

your non committal answer is more frustrating and insulting to your customers than you can imagine. The honest truth would be way better for this audience....give us all a statement indicating its overall prioritization ranking in your new feature list. If its high, it gives us hope, if its way down there, we can all move on knowing we have to purchase new hardware as controllers. We want direction with details.
Badge +18
Hello everyone,

Guys, if you really value your customers then pull your finger out and get an app for Windows 8  Mobile. It really is very very bad that you still haven't got one in place and more the point you don't respond to this thread for 6 months or more. 
Badge
PLEASE SONOS! Stop with the "under consideration" comments and release a proper controller for Windows 8 Phone and RT soon. This is especially important since you abandoned the separate Sonos Controller.
Seven months ago, the official response was "It's been a little while since our last update and we know that many of you are keen to learn more about the direction of this request.  In short, the direction we're headed in is a good one, but we're not yet ready to share any details at this time. Until we have more to share, we're going to keep this topic marked as Under Consideration.  Thank you for your continued support and for sharing your comments with us".

Well, since it's been a LONG while since your last update, we are again keen to learn more about the direction of this request, even if it's "get lost, loser. we have your money already".  We could probably live with that a lot better than how you're handling it now.