Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

"Posted 2 years ago" - any updates yet?
I think the support of sonos concerning the windows Phone app is really worse.

You may at least say, we are working on it or not. I think you will make more fans than enemies if you do it that way..

So, what is the status?
Userlevel 1
It's been four days sinds my last post. Didn't get a notification of an update in the windows controler. So i'm guessing the problem isn't solved yet. Can annyone give me an update?
Userlevel 1
A new and interesting innovation in Windows 8.1 Phone, one that Android and iOS do not know, is the use of universal apps. Thanks to a new programming environment, developers can make their apps directly for both Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 (desktop) development. This was separated up to now. All the software looks like a smartphone different from the desktop, the code can be the same.

So seeing that Sonos already has and needs a Windows 8 PC controller to make the system work, I believe that they now will have to make a version that works on the new windows Phone 8.1. Seeing that windows Phone 8.1 is new, Sonos will probably need some time to make this wordk correctly. So let's grant them a day or two.
Userlevel 1
Well look at that. I come back to see if there's any update on this thread, and your home page boasts about the new app coming soon to iPhone and Android. Talk about sticking it to WP users!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just made a Facebook group to show Sonos how much a Windows Phone app is needed. Guess 100k members should convience them. So come and join. Spread the word.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/809723162374519/
Userlevel 1
That's the problem, isn't it? The app isn't even "in development", which really means other than maybe mentioning it at meetings, they are doing nothing about it.

they are probably spending more time discussing what other useless music services they can email us about.

As I've said before, they have their market share via Android and iOS so why would they waste their time with us? I keep checking back here in the vain hope that there's an exciting update and each time my feelings towards Sonos as a progressive company are soured more and more.
The vast majority of major music services have added official support for Windows Phone such as Spotify, Napster, Rdio, TuneIn Radio, Deezer, Aupeo!, 7digital, Calm Radio, Shazam, Soundhound and more. Sonos is really one of the few to hold out still.

Why Sonos has decided to ignore the third platform is beyond me. For such a innovative company, Sonos is really not making any effort of staying ahead of the game, the lack of support for Windows Phone and Windows RT amazes me.

I could understand this from a much smaller startup company, who don't have the resources to spare on developing for new platforms. But from a company that charges between £170 - £600 for each device they sell, it is a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

A Sonos app for Windows Phone should be a priority for Sonos and the fact that this is still "Under Consideration" is disappointing and a bit insulting to the loyal Sonos customer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I liked Sonos, I prefered Sonos, I recommened Sonos. Now i don't any longer

The lack of Windows Phone Support and Windows RT support is in no way acceptable. I pay big bucks for a sound system, and expect flexibitily.

I have been forced to purchase the Phonos App. Hey - One guy, can do a Sonos App. But the big Company it self can not. Or, and this is were my likes for Sonos disappeared.  They WON'T!

Come on Guys. This is not a - "Rocket to Mars"-project. A working app with basic funtionality would be a start, make it a beta or something. Adjust expectations. That would buy you some more time to "To Considerate"

What do I actually expect from Sonos. Nut much acutally, just do something more the "Considerate" and "Surveing".  Or at least give the crowd a reason to the lack of Windows Phone and Windows RT. Is it because a specific number of device are to low - then let us know. That I could respect. But all yours "Consideration-mumble-jumble" - to me that is arrogant.

Be aware that a lot of people actually use time to write here! The requires answers, and i Know it is not the Sonos-Policy, but sometimes voices of the real World should win over Company policy.

Daddy is not angry, Daddy is disappointed! VERY Disappointed

Stumpled over this. Talk about Sonos arrogance. Pete L writes - and i Quote:
"I called SONOS Customer Support at 800-680-2345 to request status of Windows app, and they told me to buy a used I Phone from ebay.  OUCH! "

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/windows_8_surface_pro_vms_sonos_controller
Userlevel 1
Badge
I liked Sonos, I prefered Sonos, I recommened Sonos. Now i don't any longer

The lack of Windows Phone Support and Windows RT support is in no way acceptable. I pay big bucks for a sound system, and expect flexibitily.

I have been forced to purchase the Phonos App. Hey - One guy, can do a Sonos App. But the big Company it self can not. Or, and this is were my likes for Sonos disappeared.  They WON'T!

Come on Guys. This is not a - "Rocket to Mars"-project. A working app with basic funtionality would be a start, make it a beta or something. Adjust expectations. That would buy you some more time to "To Considerate"

What do I actually expect from Sonos. Nut much acutally, just do something more the "Considerate" and "Surveing".  Or at least give the crowd a reason to the lack of Windows Phone and Windows RT. Is it because a specific number of device are to low - then let us know. That I could respect. But all yours "Consideration-mumble-jumble" - to me that is arrogant.

Be aware that a lot of people actually use time to write here! The requires answers, and i Know it is not the Sonos-Policy, but sometimes voices of the real World should win over Company policy.

Daddy is not angry, Daddy is disappointed! VERY Disappointed
Userlevel 1
Lets be honest, Sonos has made huge inroads in popularity using iOS and Android handsets as controllers. They most likely feel it isn't worth their while making one for such a small user base, in comparison to the two that are working just fine for them. In one respect I can understand that but on the other hand, leading us on isn't acceptable.

I have been a Sonos user in the UK for about 10 years, long before they advertised or were available in shops. I sung the praises of the system and many people spent £100s or £1000s on systems. They were always innovating, always moving forward.

Then they got trendy. Fancy ads, way too many "social" music services. They aren't the same company. They have no interest in Windows Phone and I genuinely believe they will never release a controller. And as such, I will never buy another Sonos zone or recommend it as I would then have to tell someone to use iOS or Android, when I know WP is far superior.

Real shame.
Userlevel 1
Four weeks ago I got the message by the official rep of Sonos that they had a survey regarding the Sonos app for windows phone and RT, they wanted me to fill out. I filled out the survey, but haven't heard anything since then. 

I believe this is getting ridiculous. This thread has been going on now for about two years. It's not possible that the programmers at Sonos couldn't have created an app for Windows RT and/or Phone. In a time span of two years I could have gotten a MSc in computer science and written the app myself.   

It might be a good idea for Sonos to give us a status update and ETA when we can expect the app’s.
o dear I just had my last post removed stating the following:

"This post contains an email sent with factually incorrect information."

The funny thing is that i posted an email sent from Sonos making excuses.

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 

"Coming Soon... New Sonos Controller App" in big bold letter on the Sonos homepage. Beta program currently underway for Android users and explanation why ios users can't participate in the testing but completely silent in regard to Windows Phone. Unacceptable... Almost 1000 people following this thread and still nothing. Please explain!!! I love the hardware but, like most people here, can't understand why something hasn't been done about this already.
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to support this request and for sharing your point of view.  We hear and understand the request for further information but have nothing new to share at this time.  

When we have news to share, this thread will be among the first to know.

Hmm, from reading this it would appear that three years later, after the question of WP/Win8 support was raised, Sonos hasn't contemplated any work, hence the survey.

A three year SLA on responding with a 'meh, lets wait and see' is pretty shabby treatment from a company selling multi-room systems at over £1,000 per room.

I feel like I'm being told to do something with my Sub that isn't anatomically possible.

Thanks, quite literally, for nothing.
Userlevel 3
Badge

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 

Hi Gary,

Very interested in this email, having seen how useless Sonos have been over the last year and a bit I'm intrigued as to what there so called customer support is saying. Can you post it somewhere other than this joke?

Ps. http://www.wpcentral.com/ are always looking for WP based stories.
Userlevel 3
They usually have the same interface for all devices. So if runs on android and iOS...expect the same if they make windows app
Badge +18

Hi Gary,

I removed the post but I hope you received my reply in the thread beforehand.  You should've gotten an email from the system.  

If you didn't see the response, please accept my apologies for the email you received. We're following up on the matter internally and you should expect to hear from us shortly.  

The reason the post was pulled down from this thread was because the information conveyed to you was not factual (as you yourself noted), and I'm hoping to avoid further spread of misinformation.  I hope you understand.  

Thanks,

John

Badge +18
Hi Again, Well this Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer care just wants to dig a bigger hole for himself now, still trying to somehow suggest that Microsoft could be somehow accountable! Is this guy for real or am I missing something here? his email......

"You are correct that Sonos must program the app. And Microsoft must approve it before it can be offered. It's a team effort.

Unlike other platforms such as Google Android, the Microsoft Mobile platform is completely proprietary. Microsoft has total control over what programmers are and are not allowed to access in the phone.

By way of an example, we cannot change the Sonos wireless channel from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). This is because Apple believes those UPnP protocol commands are just too much of a security risk to allow the devices to use them. So iPhone users have to go to their computers to change that feature in Sonos.

I do not have the specific reason or reasons for the delays in releasing a Win 8 Phone controller. And even if I did have access to that information, Sonos has a strict corporate policy of not discussing new products before their Marketing announcements.

Although it is not recommended by Sonos, perhaps you would be interested in "Phonos". They make Windows Phone applications for Sonos. The Phonos Lite app currently works on Windows 8 and RT... http://www.phonos.org/windows/default.html

Currently, Phonos only permits basic playback control. You can't select new music, change groups, or configure any part of the system. The features that are missing from Phonos Lite are missing, not because Sonos has done anything to block those features."

Hi Gary,

First, please accept my apologies that you received this email and I'd like to thank you for bringing it to our attention.  As you've noted, there are a number of inaccuracies.  You should receive an email from a member of our management team shortly as a follow-up.

I'm going to remove the posting so factually inaccurate information doesn't propagate further.  I hope you understand the rationale for this.  

An official Windows Phone app for Sonos is under consideration but when we do have new information to share, we'll share it here first.  Thank you for your patience and support.

John
Hi Again, Well this Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer care just wants to dig a bigger hole for himself now, still trying to somehow suggest that Microsoft could be somehow accountable! Is this guy for real or am I missing something here? his email......

"You are correct that Sonos must program the app. And Microsoft must approve it before it can be offered. It's a team effort.

Unlike other platforms such as Google Android, the Microsoft Mobile platform is completely proprietary. Microsoft has total control over what programmers are and are not allowed to access in the phone.

By way of an example, we cannot change the Sonos wireless channel from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). This is because Apple believes those UPnP protocol commands are just too much of a security risk to allow the devices to use them. So iPhone users have to go to their computers to change that feature in Sonos.

I do not have the specific reason or reasons for the delays in releasing a Win 8 Phone controller. And even if I did have access to that information, Sonos has a strict corporate policy of not discussing new products before their Marketing announcements.

Although it is not recommended by Sonos, perhaps you would be interested in "Phonos". They make Windows Phone applications for Sonos. The Phonos Lite app currently works on Windows 8 and RT... http://www.phonos.org/windows/default.html

Currently, Phonos only permits basic playback control. You can't select new music, change groups, or configure any part of the system. The features that are missing from Phonos Lite are missing, not because Sonos has done anything to block those features."
This has been going on for over a year now and still no windows phone app from Sonos. just asking us to take surveys and comment here. Well clearly that doesnt work. check out a reply I have from Sonos, trying to steer blame towards Microsoft!!

"I would also like to suggest, if you want the Sonos controller application to run on your Windows phone, that you send this same request to Microsoft."

Well thanks Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer Care but it is not for Microsoft to design and produce on your behalf! Maybe I could ask you to come and do my job for me. This reply has irritated me somewhat
Userlevel 3
Badge
Just read the same article I think. 
"We've been considering it, but don't have any further plans at the moment."
God, this is so frustrating. This has been the top request for such a long time then we hear statements like that. What the hell is the point of this website if the requests are simply ignored? Or worse, Sonos just sling out surveys to make it look like they may be doing something.
Coming to the conclusion they are just a bunch of time-wasting idiots.

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127919-new-sonos-apps-bring-universal-search-and-streamlined-design
@Ryan E. We are now struggling for over a year to get a Sonos controller on a windows phone and now we get a survey to answer.

Is there no progress in this year and no strategy in the company ???
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just read the website and once again, we're not invited to the party.
Userlevel 1
Badge
New Sonos controller app announced today... place your bets.