Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Userlevel 2
How about we turn thus thread commercial. How much are people prepared to realistically pay for a Sonos controller app, assuming it's a Universal App and you pay once for it across Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone.

I would personally pay up to £5, plus the potential £500-£1,000 I would spend on kit if I could actually control the stuff. I currently own nothing but am and have been in the market for kit for some time.
After 3 months since the last official reply, i think it is time to give as an update???
Hi Sonos

Any news to share about WP8 app?
Userlevel 3
Badge
I need this.
Dear SONOS,

When will we get that SONOS app for WP8 and WinRT?

I love my Windows Phone and Surface 2, but I hate that I have to use other devices to control SONOS.

My two kids want SONOS for their own rooms, but as long as they both own a Windows Phone, this is not possible. Also my sons Surface 2, that he uses for school, can do everything he wants, just no control SONOS.

We have received multiple app updates for iPad over the last year, and every time I wait and hope, that you will release a Win RT or Windows Phone app, but it never comes.

When will you help us Win RT and WP8 users?
Jesus. I have personally purchased about 30 sonos zones over the last few years - some for myself and some as gifts for others. Those people have then purchased yet more zones. And so on. Currently, at home, I have 2x Sonos Connect, 4x Play:5 and 2x Play:3...

The only reason I have an iPad is sonos. My main tablet is Microsoft Surface RT. My only phones are Windows Phones. Yet - I was forced to buy an iPad just so I can control my System..

Thing is, i HATE that iPad. It's buggy, and I seriously dislike the Apple usability. Now, it crashes more and more frequently, and I REFUSE to buy another. 

Sonos: I've been _patiently_ wainting for an app for Windows Phone since the launch of WP7, and I'm out of patience. Unless you're planning to release one within the next month or so (and if you are, please say so allready) then at least publish some API documentation and I'll make one myself.

It's not that hard.
I think most people would accept a statement from Sonos saying "look guys we know you want this but we dont have the resources to develop an app for such a niche group". Its not true of course but it would at least we would all know where we stand and could make an informed decision of the purchase or expansion of a system. However, the insulting political statements from "John" are really rubbing the nose of customers in it and I for one have already made my choice and letting my feet do the talking. Basically Sonos are sticking a massive two fingers up to a group of customers. This aint coming and everyone should accept that and move on from these losers. Give someone else your hard earned money. There are 1763 likes for this page. Its safe to assume that all of those have a sonos system and a windows device. Based on the price of just one device at about £250 thats almost half a million £. Alot of people have more than one device and there are bound to be a lot more people in this situation who simply havent bothered to post. So you are probably looking at more than £million in sales to windows users conservatively. How much to make an app? Abolute joke of a company.
Userlevel 1
Badge
With zero communication from Sonos and years of them ignoring Windows users, it is time to walk away. Microsoft recently built an application for INSTEON, a home control solution that only supported iOS and Android.  I'm sure MS offered to do the same for Sonos. So why in the world would Sonos turn down free software development? It is absolutely absurd and I’m tired of holding my breath for them to realize the importance of the Windows echo system. Sonos has ignored us for far too long and the new controller app for iOS and Android was a real slap in the face. They need to learn the importance of customer service because this is some of the worst I have ever seen.  
Yes. Please Sonos... Get moving on the Windows RT.
I've just bought a Surface RT and I'm gutted to discover there is no Sonos App. Please sort this out Sonos, surely there is enough of a market now.
Badge
Well im ready to turn to Bluesound or Samsung shape if they make a proper Windows phone/rt app I thought that Sonos would be in front but they seem to dont care. When i bought Sonos I was convinced the app would be soon on its way but here after 3 years still nothing!? arrogant
Userlevel 2
I follow this discussion know since nearly one year. The only possible explanation to not have xbox music support or at least a Windows Phone app is a huge anti-support by Apple...:)
Definitely need a Windows Phone 8 App
Sigh.  Just listened to the Play 1 at the store.  Sounded great and would be perfect for shower music in the bathroom.  Bought a JBL flip instead so I could control it from my windows phone.  Actually sounds pretty good.  My need to consider going the bluetooth route in the future.  Would rather control from the native music interface on my phone instead of an app anyway.  Love the speakers, but honestly, the best sounding music is the music you can actually listen to because you have a way to conveniently turn it on!
Could we at least get a bare-bones web app embedded in the controller? That would give WP/RT users *something* to control devices with.
Userlevel 2
The survey was launched two months ago and still nothing back from anyone at Sonos. Can you at least make the results of the SurveyMonkey public so that we can see for ourselves what the feedback was?

It is starting to feel like the survey was a pacifier to keep the Windows users quiet for a couple of weeks and nothing more.
under consideration for 2 years??? A survey??? Wow, i am impressed!
Me too. The Surface and Nokia Lumina tablets are so good they will be more and more popular. So support for Windows RT 8.1 seems logical and urgent!
There are a lot of frustrated people on this thread.  
This is really frustrating that Sonos decides to remake there App completely and will leaves Windows platform outside of the update. For the windows phone/RT platform they have issued a survey two month ago and haven commented anything since. This is NOT good consumer relation building.
Userlevel 1
There are a lot of frustrated people on this thread.  And Sonos are just releasing an updated app for IOS and Android.

What a bunch of jokers.
Userlevel 1
I am extremely close to the end of my tether now. This has been the most requested feature on this forum for as long as I have been following this site. At first I could understand the reluctance from Sonos. But seeing requests with less votes and probably higher technical difficulty being implemented ahead of a WP app was worn me down to the point that if a WP app isn't released in parallel with Android and iOS vision 5.0 I will be ditching this system.

Such a shame, from such initial excitement and joy I now find myself feeling resentful and pissed off whenever I have to launch Phonos. Well done Sonos, you've succeeded in getting at least one of those annoying WP users of your hair.

I was going to buy a Playbar for my new TV but have decided to look elsewhere. Sonos will not be getting any more money from this household. Works both ways
Userlevel 3
Badge
I am extremely close to the end of my tether now. This has been the most requested feature on this forum for as long as I have been following this site. At first I could understand the reluctance from Sonos. But seeing requests with less votes and probably higher technical difficulty being implemented ahead of a WP app was worn me down to the point that if a WP app isn't released in parallel with Android and iOS vision 5.0 I will be ditching this system.

Such a shame, from such initial excitement and joy I now find myself feeling resentful and pissed off whenever I have to launch Phonos. Well done Sonos, you've succeeded in getting at least one of those annoying WP users of your hair.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Under Consideration" for almost 2 years?
Even an Ent could have dictated the code for a sonos app on all platforms by this time. Please tell your Dev teams they are a total joke on this forum.

But this is now beyond a joke now and we are still without ANY official support for:
  1. Windows Phone
  2. Windows RT
  3. Windows 8 metro
  4. Xbox
  5. Xbox Music
Sonos reps have failed to provide answers or a real explanation and just given excuses and marketing BS.

They have plenty of money for huge marketing campaigns over here in the UK, launching many new products, continually updating the iOS and Android apps but the 1000's of us here in this thread are hushed up with lame excuses.

The honest truth is that two years ago this thread should have been labeled as "Not Planned" because now I no longer have a shred of confidence in Sonos and their mouthpieces here.

Either tell us the plan or mark this thread and its lies as closed and "Not Planned", stop coaxing people into buying a crippled system that you have no plans to actively provide Windows ecosystem support for.

Come on Sonos, your inability to respond to your customers is beginning to get very tedious. I'm now up to 6 zones with close on $2k invested in your platform in under six months, sad but true. My family loves Sonos, we wake to it, drink coffee, have breakfast and right now at close on 2am here in Seattle we drink a glass of wine to favorite tunes.

You have a huge response to this request for better windows support from your fan base in the US and Europe, that's scale in my mind. Why, oh why can't you listen to your customers and deliver a viable UI and Xbox integration for a modern touch capable OS.

I've just left a dinner party where the music could have benefited from a pair of Play 1's. Its hard to push Sonos when you don't listen. I love your product but  I'm left disappointed due to your lack of commitment.

Today you ignore your customers due to a lack of response and show a level of disrespect few companies can sustain. Please address you customer platform specific needs by responding and respecting your Windows and Xbox customer base.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Under Consideration" for almost 2 years?
Even an Ent could have dictated the code for a sonos app on all platforms by this time. Please tell your Dev teams they are a total joke on this forum.

But this is now beyond a joke now and we are still without ANY official support for:
  1. Windows Phone
  2. Windows RT
  3. Windows 8 metro
  4. Xbox
  5. Xbox Music
Sonos reps have failed to provide answers or a real explanation and just given excuses and marketing BS.

They have plenty of money for huge marketing campaigns over here in the UK, launching many new products, continually updating the iOS and Android apps but the 1000's of us here in this thread are hushed up with lame excuses.

The honest truth is that two years ago this thread should have been labeled as "Not Planned" because now I no longer have a shred of confidence in Sonos and their mouthpieces here.

Either tell us the plan or mark this thread and its lies as closed and "Not Planned", stop coaxing people into buying a crippled system that you have no plans to actively provide Windows ecosystem support for.
Userlevel 2
Are we going to be told the outcome of the survey or whether there is any progress on this consideration?