Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

I am in the same boat as Del.  I too had Sonos equipment before getting a Windows Phone.  I was amazed by my Sonos equipment when i got it, and i was also amazed by my Lumia Windows Phone when i got that (the phone got even better with time and OS upgrades).

I can quite confidently say i will be buying another Windows Phone over the next 12 months. (Probably a Lumia handset assuming the next iteration of the 900 series becomes available and Microsoft don't do anything too crazy).

I will not consider buying anymore Sonos equipment until there is support for Windows Phone. (Even though i would like the soundbar and sub if i could control it and the rest of the system with my phone)
Sonos does music very well, but without the app on my phone a large element of the luxury feel of the system is disabled as i have to walk to find the ipad to then control my music.  

So in the next year that is £500-£800 of my money going to Microsoft and £0 going to Sonos - as it stands.  
If a windows phone app is provided I would at least get one of the devices on my wish list (£600) in the next 12 months.  
However if a competitor provides a wireless music system, controllable by Windows phone, and of a very good audio standard; then I will take one last look at this forum before leaving and not looking back. 

So far, no competitors have. I think that's the point.
Count me in for another app request for Windows rt and Windows phone 8.  Why would you not want more customers??
I am in the same boat as Del.  I too had Sonos equipment before getting a Windows Phone.  I was amazed by my Sonos equipment when i got it, and i was also amazed by my Lumia Windows Phone when i got that (the phone got even better with time and OS upgrades).

I can quite confidently say i will be buying another Windows Phone over the next 12 months. (Probably a Lumia handset assuming the next iteration of the 900 series becomes available and Microsoft don't do anything too crazy).

I will not consider buying anymore Sonos equipment until there is support for Windows Phone. (Even though i would like the soundbar and sub if i could control it and the rest of the system with my phone)
Sonos does music very well, but without the app on my phone a large element of the luxury feel of the system is disabled as i have to walk to find the ipad to then control my music.  

So in the next year that is £500-£800 of my money going to Microsoft and £0 going to Sonos - as it stands.  
If a windows phone app is provided I would at least get one of the devices on my wish list (£600) in the next 12 months.  
However if a competitor provides a wireless music system, controllable by Windows phone, and of a very good audio standard; then I will take one last look at this forum before leaving and not looking back. 
My Surface Pro 3 and Microsoft Lumia devices NEED A SONOS APP! It's now much easier to make a UNIVERSAL APP that runs on BOTH! GET ON IT!
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and a Nokia Lumia 930. I used to have an Android mobile device, and I really miss the flexibility of the Android SONOS app. I've been reduced to using the Desktop application on my Surface Pro 2. It's hardly convenient.

Microsoft have made significant progress with their Windows Phone OS, and it now easily competes with other platforms. It's a shame that companies like yourself still haven't developed a native app for it yet.

I turned down purchasing a product a few weeks ago, before purchasing my Windows phone, because I discovered that they didn't have a Windows app. The only reason I have SONOS now is because I already purchased it before considering a Windows Phone device. I'm sure there are going to be other individuals that have not purchased SONOS for the same reason.
It is simple ... no Sonos for my house until there is a Windows phone app.  I'd love to fill my house with Sonos but if we can't control it from our phones then no Sonos.  And from what I'm reading, sounds like Sonos customer support is brutally bad.  Two years and they still can't make a decision one way or another?!  Two years of considering?!  Two years with no update?!  Wow.
Come on Sonos - we're all still waiting for a proper Windows App, along with support for Xbox Music.  At very least please give us an update on the situation!

Felt slightly insulted this morning when I received your "refer a friend" email - which one of my many Windows Phone friends/family members do you think would be interested in Sonos, given that you don't even have an official Windows Store app?
Willing to buy Sonos but already disappointed before buying. No windows app and the answer of the customer service is : "we cannot tell anything on future products. It is under consideration". Reading this forum it is already under consideration for 2 years. I don't need such long consideration: i won't buy Sonos. That's just clear.
When was the last time we hear from Sonos on this?
Think we need to be careful. If the people asking for an app sell all their kit there will be even less need for Sonos to make an app...
This is a friggin joke, you've released a beta app for a smartwatch but not WP8???
http://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-working-way-control-its-speakers-android-wear

Yeah this Sonos giving Microsoft users the finger. Telling that they do not need or want our business. So I'll be canceling my plans to expand my existing system. I was just waiting for an app for my Windows Phone and/or my Surface tablet, to add another 7 unit. I will also be pulling the Sonos equipment I already have installed and selling it on eBay.

This is just an insult.
Hey Sonos, how many Millions do Apple and Google give you to make sure you don't provide a Windows Phone app and you don't add Xbox Music as a streaming service? So many more Windows Phones than Mac computers sold and what you do is to support OSX but not Windows Phone. It's just ridiculous and very disappointing!
This is a friggin joke, you've released a beta app for a smartwatch but not WP8???
http://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-working-way-control-its-speakers-android-wear

Wow. That really says it all. I keep coming back here hoping for some good news. Sadly there never is. Are there really more wearable customers out there than WP users? Hideously disappointed.
According to ZDNet, 9.9 million Lumia Phones were sold in the third quarter.  5.5 million macs were sold during the same time frame. 

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/035025/are-they-big-enough-scaled-620x450.png

Also, The "Mac installed base is roughly the same size as the Lumia installed base today."

http://www.zdnet.com/how-big-does-a-tech-product-have-to-be-before-we-take-it-seriously-7000035025/

Yet OSX is supported and Windows Phone isn't. 

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to play my sonos speakers using my new Nokia Lumia Windows 8.1 Pho.... I just purchased a Nokia Lumia Phone with a Windows 8.1 operating system.  Is there a way to run my Sonos device from my phone? 

Hard to believe there isn't a Windows phone app. 
Userlevel 2
I would really love to be able to use Sonos on every device, which includes windows phone
Last check in on this forum for me tonight, I see it's the same as before, absolutely no comment from Sonos. More/better Windows apps are never going to happen. Sonos has stalled/failed big time this year, working on removing the need for the bridge was a bad move to me, anyone purchasing multiple speakers wouldn't have had to pay for it anyway, you'd simply get it bundled in any deal for free. The recent feedback re the Apple/Android apps isn't great, rather than improve the software the feedback is very much negative. Sonos are no longer the main/only multi-room wireless solution, they have a lot of competitors producing some seriously good alternatives, and some of them are brands with a superior speaker sound background.

The trend in the windows world is moving to touch enabled devices Microsoft pushing with universal apps for PC/Phone/XBOX now would be a good time to plant a stake.  The Windows wold is not going away. Mobile and Computing is going to start to equalize and windows will be one of the players.  You support MAC with less than 7% US market share yet not Windows 8 native with US share in the 14% range.  Seems like someone needs a refresher in numbers, math does not change.  And anyone investing in your product is in the disposable income range so toss that right out.
Last check in on this forum for me tonight, I see it's the same as before, absolutely no comment from Sonos. More/better Windows apps are never going to happen. Sonos has stalled/failed big time this year, working on removing the need for the bridge was a bad move to me, anyone purchasing multiple speakers wouldn't have had to pay for it anyway, you'd simply get it bundled in any deal for free. The recent feedback re the Apple/Android apps isn't great, rather than improve the software the feedback is very much negative. Sonos are no longer the main/only multi-room wireless solution, they have a lot of competitors producing some seriously good alternatives, and some of them are brands with a superior speaker sound background.

I imagine all the competitors have better customer service than Sonos as well.
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2
It might be possible to move away from Sonos and start using Spotify Connect, not sure if it's in the Windows Phone version yet or when it will be.
Userlevel 2
Consider the following..

===========================================

Windows Phone has 5-10% of the market in the regions where Sonos are active.

Most households has multiple phones, especially true for the people who can invest in Sonos equipment.

Most of the customers has a multitude of tablets at home.

Windows Phone tends to be more popular with people who has a genuine interest in technology, this is the same group that tends to look a Sonos.

So chances are that well beyond 20% of Sonos customer would benefit from apps for Windows Phone and Windows Tablet.

===========================================

I'm certain that the management at Sonos are aware of this. My guess is that there's a business agreement stopping Sonos from making this move.
Userlevel 2
Two weeks without a response to this thread.

Are you sure you're reading every single response here? I really hope that's not the case because that would mean that you're actively choosing to ignore us. I actually believe this thread is broken due to all the replies, I do not receive any notifications for it (it works for other threads).

Please keep us updated even if you have no news.

I will again urge every single person reading this thread to start sending emails to the support until Sonos starts posting updates.

support@sonos.com
I hope you've now seen the Windows 10 Technical Preview. It is a game changer.

You will want to support the Windows 10 platform with a universal app, thus the phone and tablet support will come for free and you'll make all these people very happy indeed.

Best thing is that nearly all of the Win 8 and Win Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Win 10, so you'll have a reasonably large base from day 1.

Download the preview and get developing a universal app today 🙂
Was planning to by more Sonos units , but have decided to put in on hold. The entire familiy are using Windows Phones and Tablets. It have concequences for you, that you do not support the large Windows user base in a good way. I am tired of waiting! 
Same here.