SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

I can confirm that the intent was to make playing music easier and perhaps more familiar for those used to some of the most popular music playing software out there.

Based on your comment it seems you think your customers are a bunch of facking idiots who can't use two systems or include a checkbox to include a choice between the two? FFS Sonos, you are "Better Than This." Better together failure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I can confirm that the intent was to make playing music easier and perhaps more familiar for those used to some of the most popular music playing software out there.

Based on your comment it seems you think your customers are a bunch of facking idiots who can't use two systems or include a checkbox to include a choice between the two? FFS Sonos, you are "Better Than This." Better together failure.

My apologies if that's what you got out of my comment. It absolutely wasn't my intent, or that of the development team.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I hear McDonald's is still popular. This might be the Sonos Big Mac attack. I hope In And Out and Five Guys don't start serving Quarter Pounder clones.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
When I bought into Sonos, I bought the lot - hardware and software, both presumably because I had expectations out of reviews etc out of past experience. It's like, for example, I read about a Mac and wanted a Mac, bought it, and down the road somewhere they changed the UI to Windows. And the best they can say is that they wanted to make the hardware easier to use for the masses by running a simple system. It is a company that sold a product that relies on software and now they are strangling my usage of it by their marketeers.

Yeah, I read the simplistic reviews offering ballyhoo for the Great Sonos upgrade and that will make marketing heads fatter. But the Great Sonos is selling whoppers at the expense of a substantial and loyal customer base that they hung out to dry in favor of $$$. That's all it really is, and if you read any hooey from Sonos reps or reviews that deny this, it is just spin trying to avoid the facts of what has happened to thousands of loyal buyers/supporters. They sold the fan base that MADE them able to have the $$$ to do this down the river, Shame on the greed. It will surely come around.

And all of us sit here typing on their website wanting them to throw us a bone. Sad, eh?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
But wait - there's more. There are some of the faithful that have supported Sonos by recommending the systems and installing them for customers in good faith. The customers buy expectations and the the rug is yanked out from under them, and they don't call Sonos (a lot are actually non-techie types). That puts the professional installers out on a limb as well. Sonos is protected legally in the most part from mice print, but again they have perhaps alienated a substantial portion of business.

So, we should all understand from what Sonos reps have said that 6.4 is good for the Sonos world? I think that in the long run it will be their demise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The new play methodology is a mess
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
If you want Sonos to function exactly like a CD player then I'd have thought that was actually easier now isn't it?

What I meant was that I, like many others ripped our music collections to a NAS from CD and bought Sonos because it was the best system for playing tracks or whole albums reliably without the need for constantly changing discs, but the I'm sure you knew that and were just being flippant.

All I want to do is to play tracks in the order I set them in and be able to add tracks whenever the mood takes me - exactly what Sonos used to do.

If I could have my old firmware I could still do just that even with my new PLAY1S AND 5S. I could also still use my CR100s, iPAD1 and fourth generation iPOD Touch.

SONOS could continue whatever path it wished to go down but I would not be compelled to follow.

After all not of us want to shout at our speakers to make them play the next track. If I start shouting out "Alexa do this or do that" the wife will think she had been replaced.
I "upgraded" from version 4 to the new version 7.

What an error!

The new versions user interface is close to unuseable.

There should be an option to go back to the old and perfectly usable version 4.
Welcome to three years ago. Take a few minutes and work with it... you'll get used to it. It's quite enjoyable.

I have tried, but the new controller app is pure crap. The old one had everything in one view. Also the music library now need several more clicks before it is accessible.

As we didn't need any new feature, we didn't care to "upgrade" before now. What an error. No new useful feature, and a severely downgraded UI.

Looking at HeOS.
Instead of adjusting your thinking to a modern interface? Good luck to you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yep, they have really screwed up this time. I use to show off the Sonos and convert friends over to it but now its a bit embarrassing the way the current track is interrupted with the one touch play. Will put any further speakers on hold and get some demos from other brands in the new year. A very disappointed, loyal customer.
Amazing you have to go outside of Sonos for this:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos/

(No doubt there are other sites..)
So glad to see people signing up to complain about the recent changes. I do hope a Sonos take note but they are remaining silent on the issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Very interesting to here that confirmed by a Sonos rep as many have suspected that the company may have been trying to align with the queuing approach of some other popular suspects. I am a bit put off by that because I do find it inconsistent with the "You are better than this" message. Sonos was "better than that" and decided to join the crowd. It was one of the areas that I thought Sonos was a step above.

For example I still cannot understand how a one tap on a song could warrant adding an entire album including songs before the one I tapped. Don't get me wrong there are things I like. I like the ability to tap on the play button on a playlist or album tile and it starts immediately. I would prefer if it just added it to the end of the queue and started playing immediately however.

I am an old time Sonos user from close to the start of the company, I think, who has periodically added new hardware over the years. The last piece was a Playbar maybe 2 years ago. I bought, and stayed with Sonos due to the bulletproof integration between Zones, and top tier software. Generally when something changes that I do not like, I learn the new method over time. This seems a little different. It is perhaps reflective of why Sonos has issues at times with every release. Unlike the user Burt wrote above, I dislike the tap to play a song feature when I am viewing the Queue. I like to keep the queue open, and tap the active song which used to pause it. Then I could tap it to start playback again. It took a 2 step process for me, and created many steps. Also easy to accidently tap a song thus starting it over from the beginning.

I will work around the issues, but would be far less likely to recommend Sonos to a friend without qualifications. Somebody starting from scratch might be able to get what they need for far less money. Sonos perhaps is trying to please too many market segments.
Ryan S:
The worst thing is that I did not have a choice in this update. I just brought a Sonos unit out of storage and was forced to update the app before I could update the player.

A good example of why the "if you don't like it just don't upgrade" argument is not practical.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If you're on Twitter... it's #SONOS #6.4, tweet your disdain. They *are* listening; give them an ear full.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If that is the case, IMHO, it would have been better to create separate apps for that functionality rather than blowing the rest of us to kingdom come.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I know I'm late to the party on this topic but have to add my frustration to this new functionality.

It sucks !

I've had my Sonos gear for several years now and love(d) it but after using it recently its really annoying how it now handles adding tracks or entire albums to the queue.

If I tap a track from an album or a playlist it plays it straight away and replaces the queue with the rest of the album/playlist and if it's just that track on the album the queue gets replaced with just one track.

I also keep getting "the queue has been edited. Playing this will replace the queue ?"

I don't want my queue replaced. I just want a track added to the queue and played.

If you tap a track I want a pop up a menu asking what to do - play now, play next, add to end of queue.

And why cant we just have back the option to "add all tracks from this album"

Come on Sonos admit you got it wrong on this one and sort it out please !
This reminds me of a situation a few months back where Amazon made a change to Alexa where she would respond to a command with a ping sound instead of the "OK" voice response used previously. The reaction to that change was similar to this with a huge uproar from the user community. After a few weeks Amazon acknowledged the change was a bad decision and pushed out an update to restore the previous functionality.

Sonos by contrast has been in this situation before and in one case, the mute button change, acknowledged that they had screwed some things up for people with very large systems and promised a future fix to mitigate the problems they had caused. Years later those promised fixes have never been implemented.

I don't have any particular point to make other than an observation that each company has a very different culture and approach to dealing with development missteps and that might be an indicator of how likely it is that Sonos will do anything in response to the complaints around 6.4.
Heavy investment in the system with a 10 room setup. Mostly very happy with it and to laud it to others.... until now!

Totally echo the reply above me. Sonos... you took a system that was intuitive without instructions and buggered it up. Seriously, replacing the entire queue when clicking a single song?!!! What stupid focus group told you to do that? The ones that actually USE the system? I doubt it.

Please put back the 'Add to end of queue' as the default feature (which is how jukeboxes should always work) or at least allow us to select an option as to what we want the default to be (and stick the remainder of the options under the ...) Seriously, you could stack as many options as you want under the ... - play now, play next, add all from here to queue, with a minimum of coding and support most desires.

If I could backout to before this "brilliant" (sarcasm fully intended) feature was included, I would, but a new Sonos purchase FORCES you to update.
On the other hand, there was a huge uproar after 5.0, and Sonos did listen, promised changes, and followed through to the point where 90% of the former naysayers were at least content, if not happy. I'm hoping for this type of reaction. Either way, both the changes and the effort needed to put them in and/or take them out are a multitude more impactful than Amazon changing the "Ok" to "Ping" and back.
Well I have tried to get used to the new way of selecting music but I have to say that I still hate it. I am using my Sonos less and less as time goes by. If Sonos do not get back to to a consistent method of playing music then it will start to gather dust... might not even make a loss if I decide to sell with the recent price rise coming into force. ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I've been a Sonos user since 2008 and I absolutely love the update. I have 2 main listening habits, shuffling playlists or listening to albums in full from beginning to end (not shuffled). This new update makes it so much easier to just play what I want in the mode that I want, without needing to go into the queue to turn shuffle on or off. I hated the way replace queue with an album would start playing the album in shuffle mode if I had previously been listening to a playlist in shuffle mode. I really don't understand the negativity as it's still possible to do everything that was possible before but with the added benefits. I built a queue of tracks and albums last night and it was just as easy as before, just a little different. I also don't understand the negative comments about queue protection. Once you have started building a queue of tracks you get a warning if you use the play from here function.

I am obviosuly used to the queue as I've had Sonos since 2008, but I actually find it a hindrance in some scenarios. For example, I just want to shuffle my 8000 track playlist of all Apple Music tracks I have added to my libary. To do this, I have to wait about 4 minutes for the entire playlist to be loaded into the queue before the music starts playing. What we really need is an instant mix feature like in the Google Play app, where music is dynamically added to the play queue (from the chosen playlist) as playback gets close to the end of the currently loaded tracks. This feature works really well in the Google Play app.

No way would I want Sonos to revert back to the old way!!!

The ease of shuffling and playing options included here is not really the issue. Maybe people think the naysayers as saying thrash the entire update. Not at all! The fundamental queue management change of erasing queue is certain circumstances with one tap is the real problem here. I maintain that that is totally unnecessary. One tap just not produce these outcomes as the default.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Save your queue. Problem solved.
Show your daughter how to play one song. Problem solved. (Just as you showed her before)
Saved queue. Load it again. Problem solved.
Tell/show people how to add a track. Problem solved. (Just as you told them how to before)
How about #HeySonosStoppissingoffyourloyalcustomersbychangingthefunctionalityofthequeuefornoreasonwhenitworkedjustfine

Unfortunately it's all about the 'voice' these days for Sonos, until they realise the limited commands available with voice, as music services are so diverse these days. Voice control should be an add on and not drive the functionality of a controller, hopefully they will realise this one day.