SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

I don't mind the one touch so much, but please include the "add to queue" as well so we don't have to have an entire album/ playlist added.
Well, just 'upgraded' to the latest version.... Not impressed at all...

Sonos - you've lost the plot.
I too would like Sonos to undo this update. Worst "improvement" I have encountered so far.
Not much activity here over the past several days. I guess people have pretty much accepted the change. Certainly not enough unhappiness expressed to motivate Sonos into action if it looks like they can just wait it out.
I would assume 3rd party integration and echo support are higher on their list

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about either of them.... I'd quite like them to change the navigation back, though...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Save your queue. Problem solved.
Show your daughter how to play one song. Problem solved. (Just as you showed her before)
Saved queue. Load it again. Problem solved.
Tell/show people how to add a track. Problem solved. (Just as you told them how to before)

That's just the point. Why the extra step of saving a queue? Why the extra step of showing someone how to play a song? Every child who could read could do it with no training before. Why the extra step of re-loading the queue after a child or guest plays a song? Three extra steps for zero reason. And one slip, and the queue could be wiped out. We don't want wiped out queues, and we don't want our guests seeing error messages about deleting the queue. We just want to play music.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Not much activity here over the past several days. I guess people have pretty much accepted the change. Certainly not enough unhappiness expressed to motivate Sonos into action if it looks like they can just wait it out.
Sonos can wait if it wants to. Soon enough, thousands of customers with professionally installed systems are going to update. Those folks don't know anything about wiping out a queue by playing a song. Sonos is going to ruin all their high-class parties. They might not like it when we enthusiasts complain, but wait until they lose the pros and their mansion-owning customers.
In some ways Sonos reminds me of Donald Trump right now. There are tons of enthusiasts who believe in the core values of the brand such as SonosNet, the queue, and the ability to index all of your local music sitting in different locations on your network. Unfortunately as hard as the faithful work to defend Sonos from detractors on this forum and elsewhere, Sonos keeps coming out with some new bit of insanity to make it harder to justify that support... wiping out the queue if you try to add a song, needlessly adding a Wi-Fi option so folks can scramble themselves into some non-functional mixed mode state, claiming they can't support older devices despite the fact that third party apps like SonoPad have no problem doing so, and so on. I wonder if this is all going to catch up to them at some point?
It's not fair to compare 60 users willing to complain here with the total number of overall users. A fairer test is to compare with the total number offering an opinion of any sort. So, how many support the changes, how many are neutral? Fewer than 60 in total I suspect. Even then, it's not quite fair because people are generally more likely to complain. All we can really conclude is that a significant proportion of engaged users (judging by their using the forum) are not pleased with 6.4. I hope that any software developer with this level of discontent would have a bit of a rethink about their design.

Cheers, Peter.
Dear gentlemen from SONOS,
my experience with SONOS during the past two years was awesome. I enjoy the system very much and the only time I had a problem I got great support by phone. I'm really happy with the system! But:
LOSING THE QUEUE IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR ME
So if you take the answers of your valued customers serious - turn this change back!
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Dear gentlemen from SONOS,
my experience with SONOS during the past two years was awesome. I enjoy the system very much and the only time I had a problem I got great support by phone. I'm really happy with the system! But:
LOSING THE QUEUE IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR ME
So if you take the answers of your valued customers serious - turn this change back!
Thank you!

The queue is still there. That has not changed.

Of course it is. But that's not what KM1404 meant. Or what you choose to read into his message.
In the new Sonos world order we now need to save our queues as playlists. Good luck with that in a work or multi user environment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There were complaints during beta but Jose were for the most part ignored (except for adding play now back - which actually made things worse unintentionally).

I don't know if Sonos is ever going to respond to the issues. They don't have a great track record when it comes to customization allowances for customers. It's kinda a take it or leave it approach.

Having used the new controller for some time now it is fine when t comes to a single user. The changes do make playing songs faster if your just a single user of the system. Problem is this is a multi user system. The new version fails when it comes to using in a multiuser environment. They need to look at providing some type of party mode to protect the queue when there are multiple users of the system. This isn't a new request. Even before these changes not having a party mode was an issue. What they need is a way so a controller can activate Parry mode. Once party mode activated only that controller can group rooms change volume or manipulate override the queue. Not simple but what Sonos needs to secure its place as not just a system for individuals but the ultimate system for parties and groups.
To play an inividiual song instead of clicking on the song click on the ... to the right of the song. Not saying good method but that is the way currently have to do it.

They probably should have reversed that and buried the "select a whole album" under the three dots.
Badge
I have to DIVE for my phone now when a new person tries to add a song to the queue - I came back here hoping that there was some sort of resolution. I am honestly really surprised. I was very happy with my system until the update that broke it. Can we just get a legacy rollback?

I wouldnt be great if someone makes some sort of 3rd party replacement for the actual player itself. I think ive lost like 8-10 playlists now due to this new change.
Badge
Can I just add to the voices here requesting that Sonos revert back to the way the queue used to operate.

I hate the touch to play option and many other people who have used my controllers have also got caught out with wiping a queue or adding an entire albulm when not required.

It is very counterintuitive and I do hope they at least provide an option in future software to allow user to customise these queue behaviour options to keep all users happy.
My Sonos experience is now a poor one. I loved it so much at a friends house eight years ago, I bought one and apart from the odd friend that got it wrong initially pressing 'play now' instead of 'add to queue' social gatherings were fun and easy to manage in getting a good experience and mix of music without any major hiccups and I could easily leave my guests, even those with little to no experience of the app, to make varied choices. Now, with this horrible update, I have to hover and babysit each guest otherwise each night degenerates into a poor experience of cancelled queues usually after guests have spent a long time choosing, by one I can't even say careless press, because it's so easy to select the whole album and to bin the queue or at least have the frankly annoying and unnecessary step of skipping each album track to regain the queued items. Seriously Sonos? This app has ruined your legacy, and after 7 years of enjoyable experiences, it has made me look at alternatives because the app is so awful. Did I mention how poor the app is? Because it's bad, it stinks. Thanks for nothing Sonos, I used to praise your product to my friends, now I slag it off. Poor, bad, and avoidable. All down to a crappy software update making it unusable. What were you thinking when you green lighted this piece of junk? It's like you've got an F1 car and given it pram wheels.. Roll the update back boys because you broke what didn't need fixing. If there's a competitor reading this I don't care if your hardware isn't a formula 1 car like the Sonos, just as long as your app doesn't suck like this mess that Sonos have vomited on my iPad, reply with your product name and I'll flog this sadly useless hardware on eBay whilst there are enough people out there who still think it's good..
It wipes out your carefully crafted queue by default, very bad behavior.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
unfortunately making us happy doesn't sell speakers in the short term

Well, I had plan to add two Play:1s, two Play:5s, a sub and a Connect this year; but I have decided to wait to see what happens with Audible and Echo. Making me happy with just Audible and a promise of Echo would have made that sale.
Lost sales from me too (another 2 Play 1s and Sub). I am still on 6.3 but will not purchase any more as when I add it to the system, Sonos will force me to update and I am strictly a classic user when it comes to the queue.
unfortunately making us happy doesn't sell speakers in the short term.

I used to be very enthousiastic and promote the system around me as often as I could. Now I tend to avoid giving friends any feedback on it and when they ask, I'm more than cautious...
Recommendation is big sale driver that Sonos is probably underestimating
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Sometimes you just need to leave well enough alone!!! The thread discussing the changes while in Beta I thought would have made that pretty clear.
Voice control is the new '3D television'!
This software update is a disaster. Far too easy for the queue list to get wiped out. AWFUL. Please revert to the old behaviour. This is the first time I have every complained.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan can you confirm on behalf of Sonos??? Are you guys trying to annoy the hell of us for "strategic reasons"???

I'm pretty sure this is rhetorical but I'd be happy to deny it on behalf of Sonos. I can confirm that the intent was to make playing music easier and perhaps more familiar for those used to some of the most popular music playing software out there.

This was in testing for a long time, and we even made a change in the middle of the public beta in response to the feedback received. We're still gathering feedback and will continue to look at the best ways to improve Sonos in the future.