SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I've been a Sonos user since 2008 and I absolutely love the update. I have 2 main listening habits, shuffling playlists or listening to albums in full from beginning to end (not shuffled). This new update makes it so much easier to just play what I want in the mode that I want, without needing to go into the queue to turn shuffle on or off. I hated the way replace queue with an album would start playing the album in shuffle mode if I had previously been listening to a playlist in shuffle mode. I really don't understand the negativity as it's still possible to do everything that was possible before but with the added benefits. I built a queue of tracks and albums last night and it was just as easy as before, just a little different. I also don't understand the negative comments about queue protection. Once you have started building a queue of tracks you get a warning if you use the play from here function.

I am obviosuly used to the queue as I've had Sonos since 2008, but I actually find it a hindrance in some scenarios. For example, I just want to shuffle my 8000 track playlist of all Apple Music tracks I have added to my libary. To do this, I have to wait about 4 minutes for the entire playlist to be loaded into the queue before the music starts playing. What we really need is an instant mix feature like in the Google Play app, where music is dynamically added to the play queue (from the chosen playlist) as playback gets close to the end of the currently loaded tracks. This feature works really well in the Google Play app.

No way would I want Sonos to revert back to the old way!!!
I am a long time sonos owner with 3 connects 1 zp90 and 1 zp80. I must say it really is a hoorible update. This is the first update in all these years that has me seriously looking for and trying out alternatives. I have 2 devialte phantoms on which i used the sonos interface. That meant that I had to sacrifice some sound quality for ease of use. Th last sonos update is so bad that I am now using devialet propriatry Spark app. Please undo the playlist changes or you will be losing a long and thusfar loyal customer. Kind regards W.Aukes
New to posting here but but motivated by the fact that I've just deleted my que of 50+ tracks AGAIN! I just don't get it sonos... what is the advantage of one touch replacing a que when 'repleace que' is one of the options on the 2nd touch anyway! Also why does it add the entire album to the que by default when I touch one track?!? Maybe I and others are just old and missing something, we talk in terms of albums not playlists and want accuracy over shaving 0.001 of a second off a process!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Well done you managed a post without RTFM in it.
Our comments of social use since the update is based on actual experience - yur theory of 'just explain it and it will all be fine' just isn't the reality. As for constantly remembering to save the queue in case of a finger staying on a track for a fraction of a second too long, how completely impractical is that?
Can you give me a reason with the change, besides the changes of functionality, why the queue should be irretrievably deleted instead of the songs at least just being inserted into it?
Wow, so now the defense is to call other posters liars. I think this little debate is over.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Like you sjw I am waiting for a reasonable explanation for this change. The costs of this "make play easier" approach is way to high! Why the queue deleting. Please someone explain. Why!??
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Greetings, all. Hope your weekend is going grandly. Here's a link to the running total of the above-mentioned pollmaker poll:

https://goo.gl/rhAnSk

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
I am trying to recall all of the options that the participants have offered. I might miss one here or there, but I have noted this many:

1. Allow users to roll back the revision

2. Provide a switch for the UI to handle parallel functionality

3. Create separate apps

4. Disable queue clearing from the top level of the apps

5. Obliterate 6.4 and send it to Hades

Add any I missed. As it stands, I'd vote for #2...

I agree, go with 2. It respects both groups and should be a simple change to implement. I'd even be willing to go with setting "instant play" as the default as long as it could be turned off.
I agree. Provide a switch for the UI to handle parallel functionality.
The social jukebox functionality is the magical bit of Sonos and for me and this update has destroyed it.
Everyone I know who has gone on to buy a system has done so after listening the Sonos in this mode and enjoying the party experience.
There is little chance of further sales to my friends if things stay as they are.
Other alternative systems are available ...
Userlevel 1
When nothing is playing, why does a new album (Play Now) get added to the queue after (rather than before) the first song in the queue or (as it did in 6.3) at the end of the queue? The new software makes it much harder to recommend SONOS. Respect the queue!
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
You won't get an acceptable answer to your question. That was a "rush job" to return "Play Now" back in the options when ppl complained it was not in the Beta. Ppl pointed out that strange outcome of adding songs after the 1st song but it seems they couldn't be bothered to fix something that was obviously ridiculous. It seems like they were schedule rather than quality driven.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Why to play from here does the queue have to be deleted anyhow (vs. just add from there to end of queue).

I have asked this myself and I am STILL waiting on the answer!!! Would be happy for anyone to give me a sensible answer - preferably from a Sonos rep.

I was sure I had answered this somewhere but I can't find it. What happens is that the end of playing a queue, no matter where those tracks came from, the focus of the player rotates back to the first song so that you can restart what was playing with just the push if a button. The downside, is that if you then go to add an album/track/playlist using Play Now, the focus is still at track 1, so these get added at track 2 and beyond.

We've been sure to pass on the feedback that this can be a negative experience to the team so they know to take a look into.
what in the world happened? Sonos went from being one of my favorite gadgets around the house to something that is almost useless to me overnight. Why in the world would I want to destroy my queue just because I play a track off of an album? this makes no sense. I've lost my queue and I've lost a lot of love for Sonos. It's pretty clear that people want the old queue functionality back. Sonos - this is not the time to alienate 72% of your users just as Google Chromecast Audio is coming to maturity.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Why to play from here does the queue have to be deleted anyhow (vs. just add from there to end of queue).

I have asked this myself and I am STILL waiting on the answer!!! Would be happy for anyone to give me a sensible answer - preferably from a Sonos rep.

I was sure I had answered this somewhere but I can't find it. What happens is that the end of playing a queue, no matter where those tracks came from, the focus of the player rotates back to the first song so that you can restart what was playing with just the push if a button. The downside, is that if you then go to add an album/track/playlist using Play Now, the focus is still at track 1, so these get added at track 2 and beyond.

We've been sure to pass on the feedback that this can be a negative experience to the team so they know to take a look into.

I am not sure you are answering the right question here. The question is why is there a need to replace the queue at all with this play from here one tap behavior. Couldn't you just add the playlist or album to the existing queue without trying to delete. What is the rationale?

I think you were answering about why after an exhausted queue the "Play Now" works to add after the first song. I have seen that "explanation" before yes. But I still view the outcome as very messy, unintuitive and not fit for public release. I am very clear on that. Very clear. That type of software release does no favors to a company's reputation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Guys that shouldn't really bother you. It all depends on the culture of a forum and the nature of the users on it. Those are also very small numbers. If you check the reviews of the new update on the Apple App Store the update is being panned more than loved. I wouldn't worry. I am sure Sonos is quite aware that the fall out is real. A significant portion of Legacy users are not pleased. I don't believe the update is the end of the world but I am seriously irritated by it. I tell you it's the 1st time I feel so annoyed with the company and I know many feel the same way. In the effort to make new friends you take you core support for granted. This is fundamental and I don't think the company appreciates that or it is being done with a wider strategy in mind and they expect the cost of a short term fall out will be dwarfed by some sort of long term market success for which this change is key. Right now I am just widely speculating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think sonopad has a toggle as far as how behaves. The new Sonos version has no effect on how Sonopad works.

I tried out Sonopad again during the Sonos Beta since I knew I hated what Sonos had done to their version. My problem with Sonopad however is the lack of universal search. That is a big advantage with the Sonos official version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
You're right, sonopad has no universal,search.
Neither does Sonos, as their so called ´universal search´ doesn´t include the Contributing Artists.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thought I'd just add one more voice regarding this disaster of an "update". Sonos... put it back the way it was.
Userlevel 1
Sonopad now includes a "Play (Keep Queue)" option which adds the choice at the end of the queue and plays the song/album the way it worked in the Sonos controller before the 6.4 upgrade. I've got the configuration option set to "Always Ask" so the queue can't get overwritten accidentally too. It works great and I'm going to use Sonopad as much as possible as long as Sonos doesn't have a play at end option. In addition, both the SONOS controller and Sonopad can be loaded so I can always use the SONOS controller if needed. Here is Sonopad's release note for the feature: http://sonopad.de/tap-to-play-or-keeping-the-queue-sonopad-lets-you-choose/.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
In the latest Itunes, it now asks if you want to play now or replace the "up next". Itunes is getting better, Sonos is getting worse.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
"I have to admit, that personally I’m a huge fan of “tap to play”. Maybe I’m just simple minded – just playing a single album is all a need

Here's the trouble. A significant number of Sonos users enjoyed the system in particular way and central to that is the past queue management system where the controller was like an open canvas and allowed you to build it how you saw fit without much unintended consequences. I agree entirely with jgatie.

You refused to recognize and accept this and instead romped about the community making what can only be said to be disrespectful remarks directed towards legacy users who quite simply were passionately expressing their dislike for the change.
In the latest Itunes, it now asks if you want to play now or replace the "up next". Itunes is getting better, Sonos is getting worse.

That Apple implementation looks great (can't believe that I am saying that :S), and if it annoys some customers they also need an option to suppress confirmations.

I understand why Sonos have implemented an instant gratification click to play option. New customers have requested it here from time to time. There are also a few customers complementing Sonos on the change at places like the Google Play app store.

I just can't accept that they chose to implement "Listening out loud just got easier" by making it more difficult for their legacy customers.

My most regular action was effectively Play Next to an exhausted queue. There is now no way to quickly do this, if you don't want to delete the queue and you don't want to re-listen to the whole queue again now either. ... Not happy Sonos!

People have suggested that it will become ok when we get used to it. I don't think that this is going to happen. It is in my face half a dozen times a day, so that is an ongoing irritant.

There are quite a few people down rating the Sonos app at the Android app store. I initially resisted that due to general Sonos loyalty, but that gave way to anger, so I have added my 5 cents worth there too.
Userlevel 1
"I have to admit, that personally I’m a huge fan of “tap to play”. Maybe I’m just simple minded – just playing a single album is all a need

BoredofBalham- I read that too. Perhaps you didn't read further down in the Sonopad blog (http://sonopad.de/tap-to-play-or-keeping-the-queue-sonopad-lets-you-choose/) where it states:

"You now can choose between “Play (Replace Queue)” and “Play (Keep Queue)” here. The latter one works as you have been used to with the older Sonos Controller. The item is put to the end of the queue, but starts to play instantly."

Sonopad now leaves the choice up to us *regardless* of Sonopad developer preferences on a personal level. I would hope that whenever possible software developers would provide choices that make all customers happy. It's obviously been disappointing to many of us that Sonos 6.4 eliminated the ability to choose "Play (Keep Queue)" completely.
If you read any posts from BoredofBalham on other threads then you will realise that he/she is just trying to bait you. Just ignore them and let's continue with the constructive conversation on the problem that the long term users are facing with the latest update where our way of using the app has been changed. I've had Sonos for about 9 years and am not happy with the change. If this is the future for Sonos then I hope they either address this in the next update keeping functionality for both types of user or quite simply release 6.3 as a separate app for downloading for the classic users. If this is the future then I will probably start to look at what else is out there in the market.
I agree. I loved the old queue. Now if I want to queue up more than 2 tracks it doesn't work, it adds a whole album/playlist between the first 2 tracks (play next) and the third which the only option is to add to end of queue. I hate it. What is the benefit? I just don't see it.