SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 1
Why to play from here does the queue have to be deleted anyhow (vs. just add from there to end of queue).

I have asked this myself and I am STILL waiting on the answer!!! Would be happy for anyone to give me a sensible answer - preferably from a Sonos rep.

I was sure I had answered this somewhere but I can't find it. What happens is that the end of playing a queue, no matter where those tracks came from, the focus of the player rotates back to the first song so that you can restart what was playing with just the push if a button. The downside, is that if you then go to add an album/track/playlist using Play Now, the focus is still at track 1, so these get added at track 2 and beyond.

We've been sure to pass on the feedback that this can be a negative experience to the team so they know to take a look into.

It seems to me that the team believes adding tracks within the queue by default is preferred. Many don't believe that is the case, since 72% of folks willing to vote prefer the 6.3 approach which defaulted additions to the end of the queue. Obviously, as others have stated, having a setting for the default behavior would accomodate everyone and improve functionality for both preferences. Alternatively/Additionally, a "Play now at end of queue" and/or "Play now at top of queue" option from the three dots would at least provide a fast way to have the 6.3 functionality plus more control without abandoning the 6.4 one-touch approach that I assume was based on user feedback.. Adding an album to the end of the queue and then having to scroll through the queue to play the album is cumbersome and not user friendly. As you know, there's also no button to take us to the end of the queue, so we have to scroll thru the queue to then play the added tracks. I think if SONOS added these options with a default preference option for the one-touch functionality (i.e., replace queue, play now, play next, play now at top of queue, play now at end of queue, add/play after current album?) everyone would love SONOS even more than the 6.3 version because all options would be available. Thanks much.
Userlevel 1
Guys, I went over to Facebook and I notice there is quite a bit of support for the tap to play feature. Perhaps many of these users never truly understood how to use the awesome queue feature as it was. Basically newbies who just expected a "make music go" functionality from Sonos got their wish. Meet the lowest common denominator to satisfy the masses. I get it. I just hope there is an exec with some pull at Sonos that appreciates what we had and figures a way to give the option of the old queue back.

Another observation is that Sonos seems to be active on their Facebook with lots of "thanks" to those who praise the new feature, while I haven't seen anything from Sonos on this thread yet. So I suggest if you use Facebook or Twitter, get on there and make your feelings known.
And don't forget to add your review if you don't like the changes to the iOS App Store. Sonos is nose diving big time on there at the moment.
I'm not a Facebook user but just checked out the Sonos page, only one reference to 6.4 saying that it is driving them crazy. Can't see much support on the Sonos page at all.
Userlevel 1
There is a thread on the Sonos Facebook page posted September 7 by Sonos just after release of 6.4 with a video of the new tap to play feature. It currently has 200 likes, 9 loves, and 2 angry. This doesn't seem possible, I'm scratching my head... maybe they liked it before they tried it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ryan can you confirm on behalf of Sonos??? Are you guys trying to annoy the hell of us for "strategic reasons"???

I'm pretty sure this is rhetorical but I'd be happy to deny it on behalf of Sonos. I can confirm that the intent was to make playing music easier and perhaps more familiar for those used to some of the most popular music playing software out there.
*snip*.

This is the key right here. The intent was to make it more like the streaming service software. McFarlane said they were going to push streaming and voice control. Those of us with large music libraries are not the key demographic anymore. No more features for us. Any other solutions out there?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Can anyone confirm that the Sonopad app still works the old way? I'm going to try it tonite (forgot I had it).
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I think sonopad has a toggle as far as how behaves. The new Sonos version has no effect on how Sonopad works.

I tried out Sonopad again during the Sonos Beta since I knew I hated what Sonos had done to their version. My problem with Sonopad however is the lack of universal search. That is a big advantage with the Sonos official version.

You are correct. There is a 3 way toggle on Sonopad. Always ask, always add to end, or always replace (play now). How hard is that? You're right, sonopad has no universal,search.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You're right, sonopad has no universal,search.
Neither does Sonos, as their so called ´universal search´ doesn´t include the Contributing Artists.

Sure it does

If you search for ARTISTS then it returns those artists. I didn't ask it to search CONTRIBUTING ARTISTS so your comment is not correct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
so your comment is not correct.
The 'universal search' does not include searching in Contributing Artists so it is not universal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When you search in Sonos you specify what to search for:- Artist, Albums, Composers, Songs and Genres

You probably noticed Contributing Artist is NOT there. I suppose if you want to be ultra-pedantic you could claim the search isn't "Universal" in that case. However, you might as well complain that as it isn't searching in my sock drawer the search isn't "Universal". In other words your criticism is not fair or proportionate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
your criticism is not fair or proportionate.
It isn't me who invented or uses the phrase 'universal search', it it Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
your criticism is not fair or proportionate.
It isn't me who invented or uses the phrase 'universal search', it it Sonos.

And it was YOU who interpreted it to mean searching in every single tag even though, as you know, the search is refined by tag. And the tag you want searched ISN'T in that list.
I could see adding all tracks in album to end of queue actually having a use.

But you could do that already...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
as you know
Please stick to the facts you do know.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
"I have to admit, that personally I’m a huge fan of “tap to play”. Maybe I’m just simple minded – just playing a single album is all a need
I play entire albums all the time. I used to just search for an album, choose it, and hit "Play all" at the top of the album listing that showed up. I could string together album after album like that if I wanted to. It was easy, intuitive, and non-destructive. What I have no use for is to search for a particular song and have whatever album the version of that song was on play from that track onward while simultaneously loading the previous songs into the queue and replacing all the other tracks/albums I've already loaded, all via one tap.
My problem with the update is the same, with my controller separating my groups, and not responding with speakers switching in and out. A whole lot of trouble for multiple users. Shouldn't have to reset and regroup, this should be a lot smother... I want to listen to music, and watch T.V.
This is not plug and play..
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
If Sonopad had universal search I would totally say goodbye to the Sonos app. Even so I am going to increase use of Sonopad. Maybe this creates opportunity for 3rd party controllers. The iPhone Sonophone app is inconsistent though. No option to "play keep queue" as on the iPad version.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
"I have to admit, that personally I’m a huge fan of “tap to play”. Maybe I’m just simple minded – just playing a single album is all a need

Here's the trouble. A significant number of Sonos users enjoyed the system in particular way and central to that is the past queue management system where the controller was like an open canvas and allowed you to build it how you saw fit without much unintended consequences. I agree entirely with jgatie.

You refused to recognize and accept this and instead romped about the community making what can only be said to be disrespectful remarks directed towards legacy users who quite simply were passionately expressing their dislike for the change.

That was a quote from the owner of Sonopad. The alternative.

That expresses an alternate view too. I do recognise and accept others have different mileage. I never accept that what someone does and its consequences are anyone else's fault. That sense of enraged entitlement actually stifles and swamps proper observation with moaning white noise. Whilst you agree with jgatie, a poster I highly respect, the constant repetition of what was does not really help pushing the discussion forward given that the change has now been around for while, and people should at least have had enough experience of it to not make the errors so frequently.

Would, as in Brault's posts, a new user be so up in arms about the change as they have never experienced the previous version? Or reject something because its current user is unable to operate it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If Sonopad had universal search I would totally say goodbye to the Sonos app. Even so I am going to increase use of Sonopad. Maybe this creates opportunity for 3rd party controllers. The iPhone Sonophone app is inconsistent though. No option to "play keep queue" as on the iPad version.

Ok having fiddled around with Sonopad, while useful not exactly a full replacement option due to no universal search but also a few other missing bells and whistles that accumulatively may add up.

But what it showed clearly is that a one tap switch is very doable and nicely caters to different users. It offers 4 one tap modes and they work well for who it caters for. "always replace" works just like the current Sonos default. "Add to the end" adds what you one tapped to the end of the queue. "Add next" adds items after what is playing. "Always ask" defaults to 6.3 behaviors where an options list comes up - it also includes two Play options - one with replace queue and the other with keep queue.

I can work with eithe the "add to end of queue" or "always ask" as my one tap modes. I prefer the latter though.

So Sonopad has incorporated the switch which we all knew could be done. It's now whether Sonos is minded to do this. Please consider Sonos!!!

But all that is available, and more, when you tap the three dots by a track or album/playlist. Have you not looked at this?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

BoredofBalham- I read that too. Perhaps you didn't read further down in the Sonopad blog (http://sonopad.de/tap-to-play-or-keeping-the-queue-sonopad-lets-you-choose/) where it states:

"You now can choose between “Play (Replace Queue)” and “Play (Keep Queue)” here. The latter one works as you have been used to with the older Sonos Controller. The item is put to the end of the queue, but starts to play instantly."

Sonopad now leaves the choice up to us *regardless* of Sonopad developer preferences on a personal level. I would hope that whenever possible software developers would provide choices that make all customers happy. It's obviously been disappointing to many of us that Sonos 6.4 eliminated the ability to choose "Play (Keep Queue)" completely.

Joe, I did read the whole page. Those options, and more, have now moved to the three dots at the side on Sonos instead of being part of the title tap. The functionality is still there. It's just moved. I can play now by tapping the album or add by tapping the three dots.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I play entire albums all the time. I used to just search for an album, choose it, and hit "Play all" at the top of the album listing that showed up. I could string together album after album like that if I wanted to. It was easy, intuitive, and non-destructive. What I have no use for is to search for a particular song and have whatever album the version of that song was on play from that track onward while simultaneously loading the previous songs into the queue and replacing all the other tracks/albums I've already loaded, all via one tap.

The three dots on the right at the top of the album allow everything you want to do as far as I can see.

The three dots on the right at the top of the album allow everything you want to do as far as I can see.

I never said differently. But then again, you could do "Play from here" in the previous incantations of the app, though it took a few more clicks (kind of like my preferred actions now). So if being able to do what you could before is the sole argument, you should have no reason to prefer the current implementation over the old.

And hey, at least the old way didn't default to destruction of the queue.
Userlevel 1

The three dots disappointedly does not do everything I want. I want the selection to be both played and also added at the end of the queue (rather than added to the middle of the queue). Sonopad's "Play (Keep Queue)" does this while Sonos has removed this capability with the 6.4 upgrade. If you don't care about the queue, Sonos works great, but unfortunately for those of us who use the queue regularly especially to relisten to previously selected albums in complete order from the queue, Sonos has essentially cut our legs off.