SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 2
Very frustraing change. The only reason I left my Sonos system on 24-7 was to preserve the queue that I'd built up over weeks and months of listening. Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated.
If the queue is exhausted (ie. it has completed playing all of the prior contents), you have to press the 3 dots (or the down arrow on the DCR), and use Add To End of Queue, and then scroll back through the queue, until you find the first track of the new album. Then you simply tap on, or double click, that track.

Sonos call this new feature "Listening out loud just got easier."
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
An excellent suggestion. There is, to my mind, an actual need for such a function now.

It's been suggested dozens of times before, both in this and the beta testing thread. Ironically, the suggestion most often came from the people you've been yelling "RTFM!" at for the last few months. :rolleyes

And the update is how old? A few months?
Which applied to the situation THEN. The situation NOW is different. RTFM still applies. NOTHING has changed there.
The other difference is between a knee jerk rant (RTFM) because something is different and a measured, considered calm opinion after using the system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Very frustraing change. The only reason I left my Sonos system on 24-7 was to preserve the queue that I'd built up over weeks and months of listening. Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

If you mean not deleting your queue.
The three dots at the top right of the album give you the options to play now, play next, add to end which inserts the album into your queue either now, next or at the end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't need to RTFM and used it enough all along to give an informed opinion of the pittfalls of the current release.

Which applied to the situation THEN. The situation NOW is different. RTFM still applies. NOTHING has changed there.
The other difference is between a knee jerk rant (RTFM) because something is different and a measured, considered calm opinion after using the system.

I had been using the new release for months during the beta by the time you posted your first decidedly condescending RTFM. So I was more than capable of giving a measured, considered, calm opinion. I said it then, and I still say it now; you can take your FM and stick it where the sun don't shine. It has no bearing on the like or dislike anyone has for this release. Time to spit the binky, BoB. It's worn quite thin. Find a new shtick.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I had been using the new release for months during the beta by the time you posted your first decidedly condescending RTFM. So I was more than capable of giving a measured, considered, calm opinion. I said it then, and I still say it now; you can take your FM and stick it where the sun don't shine. It has no bearing on the like or dislike anyone has for this release. Time to spit the binky, BoB. It's worn quite thin. Find a new shtick.

Guys I really don't know why you waste a single ounce of energy to respond to that individual. I realized a long tome ago that it makes no sense. Some ppl just aspire to annoy. My advice.......IGNORE COMPLETELY!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
243 posts and no response from Sonos?
Can we not just be given a option to either start playing a track immediately, or to give the old options? This would have made the most sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If the queue is "edited" I have never understood why the dumb pop up message. Why not just give the queue options as normal.
Supposedly the next update to version 7 fixes a lot with the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Supposedly the next update to version 7 fixes a lot with the queue.Really? Such as?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Really? Haven't heard even a whisper myself that they have been listening regarding the queue issue at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
dgtlhybrd - there are alternate Sonos controllers available such as Sonos Phone that don't have the issue with the new official controller. The only negative with those is that you don't get the universal search of services (you have to go into each service like the old days to look for a song).
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Supposedly the next update to version 7 fixes a lot with the queue.

All I have seen about 7 is Spotify stuff. If the queue is fixed in version 7, then they should be letting all of the unhappy folks know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We hope so
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I have frankly abandoned the Sonos controller for SonoPad and SonPhone. By now means perfect controllers but they did an excellent job of provide customization options to users. So I know Donis can do it too. But their controller changes irritates me too much. I honestly have it a fair try for a while. But sorry, I HATE IT!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Forget their controller if the queue is super important to you. Use SonoPad and SonoPhone. Again these have their limitations like no universal search etc. But I opted to live with those limitations rather than this downgrade update. I gave it a try but could take it no more.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Isn't I just the same as Spotify? Click on the dots and tell it what to do? I'm a new user so I find he track queuing and Playlist building fairly intuitive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They do care - but how much resources they are devoting to revising what they purposefully changed ... we have no idea.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Yes I can see that's what it does, exactly the same as Spotify app. Click on a song in a different Playlist ad it will automatically jump to that new Playlist or album.
They do care - but how much resources they are devoting to revising what they purposefully changed ... we have no idea.

Resource is one thing. Admitting they did something wrong is another.
Are they actually willing to go back to how it was before?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think they are that hard headed or unwilling to listen. We know they are listening....hearing...we just don't know if they are taking any action or not.

The current beta is all about Spotify etc. next beta is assumed to be all about Echo support. I'm not overly optimistic on seeing any big improvements in next 3 months or so. They should do something but they seem to have a lot of other priorities. Unfortunately making the controller more like other apps was a priority for them (forgetting they are not supposed to be like other apps that is what sets them apart - unfortunately making us happy doesn't sell speakers in the short term). Short term sales probably good for. Long term alienation of user base ... time will tell if they worry about that one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Answer isn't roll back it is Sonos having next update cater to improvements to protect queue for queue users. Current release focused on individual user. Next update need some love for multi user multiroom (you know that thing that has made Sonos so successful in the past).
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wow, I just stumbled onto this thread and I'm surprised at how passionate people are about their queues. It never even occurred to me because the term "queue" is typically volatile and transitory anyway. The behavior as it stands now doesn't affect my family too much. We all maintain customized playlists that we routinely use to append or replace the queue. A printer queue holds print jobs but they come and go. People get in line for Black Friday and then the lines disperses. It never even occurred to me that a queue would be something people would consider "permanent". That's not a condemnation of anyone here that thinks otherwise. People are used to the way it worked and it has changed. However, I have been on Sonos for four years or more with players in all rooms (including two teenagers) and none of this has ever been an issue. The 6.4 update and beyond hasn't done anything but brought welcome new features for us. I have ALWAYS assumed I needed to build playlists or add to playlists to maintain something permanent. The queue was always assumed volatile by me and mine. I do think the album play buttons, etc. should default to "add to end of queue" and start playing from there rather than replacing the queue. I could live with that and others here would likely welcome the preservation of their queues. Just offering a different perspective to illustrate that the whole Sonos user community is freaking out about this change. And, I'm still recommending the system to friends and family.