SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Why would they try to mimic an inferior product? to become more appealing to a larger consumer base that will eventually end up preferring future products from the likes of Google/Apple/Amazon leaving everybody here empty handed?... this is all going BlackBerry... I hope they stop it now before its too late... Sonos, please, add the checkbox while there's time and keep it on track...

I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm only trying to understand why it was done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea your preaching to the choir here ... but as jgatie said it isn't a fix. It would now be classified as an added feature unfortunately. I don't think anyone who spends time here has expected to see anything until after betas for alexa integration make there way through first part of year (if they ever back away from from stance of not allowing user customization - which they have given no indication of becoming more flexible on). I'm personally not very hopeful and think it is a big mistake Sonos is making not looking at some type of party mode. Parties and people over is a major source of Sonos word of mouth. And users becoming less prone to sharing the controller with others cuts back on this promotion.
And users becoming less prone to sharing the controller with others cuts back on this promotion.
not sure what you mean here... as far as I know, I can't choose not to share the controller, as most my friends have my wifi credentials, the rest is just a stop by the app store... thing is, before I was quite proud of showing my set-up to my friends and letting them play all they want with it, now not so much...
Is there any official way to complain? (in such a way that increases the chances of somebody with decision-making power actually reading it?)
I wonder if the change was necessary in order to accommodate the upcoming Spotify Connect and third party apps? Maybe the streaming providers demanded the change so that their apps wouldn't need to be changed. There has to be a reason we aren't aware of.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I said users less prone to sharing I didn't say you couldn't share. Your agreeing with what I just said - your less prone to sharing.

You could call and complain I guess. Other then that this thread is probably the official complaint thread.

Ryan should be subscribed to it and I guess report to development every so often the general feedback.
I wonder if the change was necessary in order to accommodate the upcoming Spotify Connect and third party apps? Maybe the streaming providers demanded the change so that their apps wouldn't need to be changed. There has to be a reason we aren't aware of.

Maybe not necessary, but I can see them pushing for a similar look and feel. It still does nothing to separate the single user with headphones vs. multi-room communal sharing experience of Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I agree that the new update is a disaster - we have been loving Sonos and selling it to our friends since 2006, and our house has 7 Sonos player units. I read somewhere that the old functionality is all there, just hidden. Is that true? (If so, it is well hidden.) Simple question - if I am playing a song or an album, and I found another song or album that I want to play NEXT, after this song or album finishes, which happens all the time, how do I do that? Thanks.
Tap the three dots to the right of the song/album listing. The old menu choices are there.Many times I find myself missing the three dots and the current song gets interrupted right away... lately i've been using tap and hold to get to the menu... not sure if its available in all the scenarios, but I find it more reliable in my case (I have a phone with a 4" screen size)... anyway, just another option until we get the option to change the default behavior (hopefully)
Tap n hold works for me. Or the three dots. I use an iPad to control so it's probably easier than a phone.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This one is listening out loud and I like the changes. Much more useful.
I liked the old way too. All things change and the clanky and annoying quirks of the queue I just lived with, learned how to use them and then realised that way was rather a good way to do things.
As you have no experience of the new way why is it terrible/bad.

RTFM works very well.
For me this is the typical "let's break what works and fix what no one asked to fix" approach seen so often these days just so that it looks like the dev team is constantly working on something. Same shite happened to the Spotify app in which they keep moving buttons and functions around, same shite happened to most apps done by Microsoft. Let people get used to something for a few years and then whack them in the head with changes so they have to unlearn everything they learned so far, only to do the same in a few years.

The main thing that bugs me with this (and "bugs" is an understatement of the century as I'm willing to sell the Sonos and move to something else because of this change) is that it's simply against common sense. You used to be able to tap a song and it would play but also add itself to the end of the queue, now you tap and it replaces the entire queue with whatever list you found the song on. Where's the logic in that? I sort of understand the logic behind replacing the queue if you hit "Play" on a playlist, but not on a single bloody song. Assuming that if I tap a song I'd want to listen to the entire album is going too far, but perhaps acceptable if the album would add itself to the end of the queue (still not the action most people would assign to tapping a song to play). Making the same assumption and at the same time deleting the entire queue is not only too far, but plain stupid and annoying at the same time.

Anyone else figured out if it's doable to roll back to before 6.4?

T.
I signed up for this forum just to make sure they see another disgruntled customer. #BringBackTheQueSonos TWEET THEM!!
I signed up for this forum just to make sure they see another disgruntled customer. #BringBackTheQueSonos TWEET THEM!!
I suggest you find a more accurate hashtag. The queue is still there. It's the manner in which it's loaded/replaced which has apparently divided opinion.
RTFM works very well.
And which "FM" are you talking about?

I pressed Help on the DCR ... nothing there that I can find about these non-intuitive changes to past behaviours
I followed the Help links from my android tablet ... can't find anything there either

I went to their support site: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/using-the-app
Nothing there either.

It seems as if you have a better handle on this than I do ... have you a link?
Userlevel 1
It's a pretty crappy move by them. Unfortunately for Sonos, it's also a very easily copied feature. Some competitor will figure this out, and then Sonos will be the next Blackberry.

Plenty of people knew how great and vital it was - and made their feeling very clear. Sonos chose to ignore them completely and not even allow them the option of keeping the same control system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Maybe BOB is OTL. I don't see any docs and don't expect any. It's every (pick your acronym) for themselves.
Userlevel 1
The Denon HEOS is gorgeous, but it would seem their software isn't quite ready to take on Sonos (yet). I'll be keeping an eye on them, though. Their HEOS Bar has all the things the Playbar lacks; HDMI, DTS, etc.

If only there was another product of such quality... well Apple are releasing one this Christmas and maybe it is time to sell up and switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
...and my bigger issue is not the click on song in album replacing queue (for the most party of you have edited queue it gives you dumb warning box). My bigger issue is when searching for tracks or in folders if you click on a track it interrupts current song playing with a play now command. If you go back for years people have been asking for a party mode that disables play now from the menu. Now not only do we still have no party mode to disable play now .... it has been absurdly made the default action when clicking on a searched song. Not sure why searching for a song means by default I want to hear it right now. That is totally against the previous use of Sonos in building playlists.
Userlevel 1
All I meant by it is that the "magic" Sonos has/had isn't some secret formula the competition won't eventually figure out. It really feels like Sonos doesn't take their most fervent fans seriously. Beg for DTS? Nope. Beg to keep the queue? Nope. Beg for upgraded Playbar with HDMI? Nope. Everyone loves the matte finish SUB; please make more? Nope.

They could have made sure there was no footing for the competition to even move in, but all we got for the last three years was a Playbase and a ruined queue functionality? Well, I guess they did also do away with the need for the bridge and add a microphone to the Play:5 (that we can't use yet.)

It's a pretty crappy move by them. Unfortunately for Sonos, it's also a very easily copied feature. Some competitor will figure this out, and then Sonos will be the next Blackberry.Completely ludicrous statement. I absolutely hate the change Sonos made but let's keep some sense of perspective, please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
2 but Sonos never allows user customizable switches. Maybe a queue lock on queue screen could get traction. But a switch in settings menu I am certain will never happen as they have never allowed customization like this as a philosophy. Of course they have already abandoned some prime philosophies with this update so....
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Agree, Chris - but mea culpa, forgot option

6. It's GRAND! Like it as it is.

Maybe we need an outside-the-lines users group? They often work.
Userlevel 1
It would seem i don't always get this pop-up? (I'm on iOS, if that matters.) More than once I've tried to play a song from the search and it starts playing, but the rest of my queue is gone and that is now the only song in it. No pop-up, just plays instantly like it used to but replacing the queue instead of adding to it.

And your comment about the Play:5 is fair, though I didn't feel it was significant enough to warrant replacing the Play:5s I have that are just a few years old.

We accidentally erased a ques of several dozen songs or more several times nowHow come? If the queue's been edited there's a large warning pop-up front and centre.

add a microphone to the Play:5
Ha! And took away all the original PLAY:5, replacing it with a totally different design.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should create a poll
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Well, let's do that. If you have ideas for it, pass them on else I will just dig about until I get a hit on how-to. How does that sound?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
http://www.poll-maker.com/