SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 1
A single track selected from search is inserted (without prompt) after the current track. There have been understandable gripes that in a static queue -- one which hasn't yet been played, or which has fully played -- the 'current track' is track #1, so an insertion from search goes in as track #2.

This is good to know. That might explain the lack of prompt before overwrite, at least in some cases. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually did one a while back and i messed up all the choices and never went back and made a fixed one.
Me problem solving my system would require me to spend a whole day testing my system...For tech support. I just don't have time. I no longer recommend SONOS. Great sound, disappointed in the system...Concerns my RCA input to 5 player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm talking about the poll function here when you create new thread.
After so many comments, suggestions, complaints, questions, etc... still nothing in sight on queue management for the next releases... what would it take to get some attention from Sonos??
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I will work on this, but ultimately, of course, it's not our product. But I built GUIs for over 25 yrs and I know this one is not right. Gotta try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
After so many comments, suggestions, complaints, questions, etc... still nothing in sight on queue management for the next releases... what would it take to get some attention from Sonos??

Sonos are most assuredly aware. Just because they haven't "fixed" it doesn't mean they aren't aware or even that they agree it needs "fixing"!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Well, talking about an external one but I can look at the internal one too. It's just that the external one will likely, same as internal, be heavily weighted with pre 6.4 users 😞

Nothing. It is obvious Sonos has made their decision.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
There is a way, people 🙂

Sonos are most assuredly aware. Just because they haven't "fixed" it doesn't mean they aren't aware or even that they agree it needs "fixing"!

When my customers ask me for a new product or a change or whatever, I don't tell them that I agree with it or not, I just do it. Customer is always right...

Plus, as a customer, I purchased some functionalities, and after my purchase some of these functionalities are removed... I feel like I've been swindled. It's like buying a car and 6 months later, the car can't turn left anymore because it's been "upgraded"
Sonos by contrast has been in this situation before and in one case, the mute button change, acknowledged that they had screwed some things up for people with very large systems and promised a future fix to mitigate the problems they had caused. Years later those promised fixes have never been implemented.
And you didn't need a have "very large system" to be screwed up by that, you just needed to have bought into Sonos' multi-room promise.

There was a similar situation with the migration to this blighted forum. They promised corrective action and openness. ... Then .... nothing ... for a year, and counting.

A related situation is their refusal to offer a repository of prior Sonos s/w versions, so that a customer may chose to revert back to the UI which they have already paid for.

I don't have any particular point to make other than an observation that each company has a very different culture and approach to dealing with development missteps and that might be an indicator of how likely it is that Sonos will do anything in response to the complaints around 6.4.

I think that this IS a culture thing. There are many aspects of Sonos culture that we all admire, and rely upon, and laud to others.

But another aspect of their culture is this seemingly stubborn refusal to provide any configuration options, even when they have needed to alter the UI for new markets they are chasing. That is way less customer friendly IMO.

It is understandable that they need to chase new markets, but they could keep some customer faith while doing so.

ie. the mute button thing which you referred to. ... Some Sonos manager once decided to ship the first units without a pause button for aesthetic reasons presumably ... this was stupid in the first place, as our dvd and cd players already had both pause and mute functions, so we all knew how they worked ... the Sonos shortcoming became untenable with the advent of streamed services, as it chewed out peoples' download caps where people assumed the stream was paused .. so Sonos just took away the mute facility away from all people who had bought into their multi-room functionality promise ... no facility to configure off or on the new behaviour for customers whose Sonos experience was trashed by this change

Now they are selling Sonos on shelves alongside boom boxes .. they want one tap play for people who don't understand anything more complex than a light switch ... so they just turn all units, for all customers, into hair-triggered mood-killers in social settings.

Also they trumpet "LISTENING OUT LOUD JUST GOT EASIER WITH YOUR SONOS APP", but for customers who have moved beyond just light switch controls, they make things harder. Examples are making the UI less intuitive, as just what a tap will do, as it is now modal ... also Play Now is now also modal, as a good chunk of the time it is also going to re-play the historic queue! ... and I now need to scroll back through the queue to find the start of album I just queued with "Add To End of Queue", because there is now no other way to Play without destroying the queue.

When my customers ask me for a new product or a change or whatever, I don't tell them that I agree with it or not, I just do it. Customer is always right...

Plus, as a customer, I purchased some functionalities, and after my purchase some of these functionalities are removed... I feel like I've been swindled. It's like buying a car and 6 months later, the car can't turn left anymore because it's been "upgraded"
What preposterous hyperbole. I don't like the change either, but really....
As to the implication that Sonos should implement every suggestion that a few customers demand... they would have been bust years ago on that basis. The real irony is that the change was partly in response to customer complaints about how it used to work! Be careful what you wish for.....
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
OK... working free for the cause. You can put in two pennys and see what happens:

https://goo.gl/gcWez6

"The customer is always right" is the biggest crock of dung in the history of retail. No, the customer is most certainly not always right. In fact, the majority of the time they are wrong.

Note: I agree with you and I hate the change. But adding every little customer suggestion without any analysis of cost, brand impact, ROI, marketing data, etc., with only the customers whining about it being the single deciding factor is not only absurd, it is commercial suicide.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hey Chris... there's the open one 😉

You need more users complaining on Twitter and Facebook for a start.
Sonos never allows user customizable switches. Maybe a queue lock on queue screen could get traction. But a switch in settings menu I am certain will never happen as they have never allowed customization like this as a philosophy.
They don't allow them, excepting where they do:
* Group Album By
* Sort tracks by
* Show Media Servers?
* Status light on|off
* Updates on|off

It is not such a reach for them. It is just quicker for them not to.

You need more users complaining on Twitter and Facebook for a start.
Well I for one will look forward to @Hirsut's explanation of the change ('They have made it behave more like iTunes, the b******s'), and the explanation of how this has rendered his Sonos system as useless as a car that cannot turn left,
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
iTunes DB flags much better when you figure out how to use them. The output options are not so grand. We are trying to get a consensus on SONOS, just a simple non-invasive choice pick 1 https://goo.gl/gcWez6 It won't solve stuff but it would be nice to know how the blog members feel. If you all think 6.4 is the cat's PJ's, I am bailing.

What preposterous hyperbole. I don't like the change either, but really....
As to the implication that Sonos should implement every suggestion that a few customers demand... they would have been bust years ago on that basis. The real irony is that the change was partly in response to customer complaints about how it used to work! Be careful what you wish for.....

Agreed, the comparison with the car is too radical... still, I think the argument is valid. I purchased a device with a definite set of functionalities, and now it's been changed because people at sonos think they know better what I need.

"The customer is always right" is the biggest crock of dung in the history of retail. No, the customer is most certainly not always right. In fact, the majority of the time they are wrong.

‎I do believe the customer is always right. Not each single customer, but when a large number of customers request something, they're probably right (and even more when they're already users).

The way I see it, there is a large number of users who preferred it the old way, and many others that like it better like it is now. Allowing the users to choose what interface they want with an option would satisfy everyone and shouldn't be too difficult to implement (I'm not a technical expert though)
Userlevel 1
I have accidentally deleted my queue three time today.
Actually, it wasn't Sonos' who thought they knew better, it was a "large number of users" who requested for years that the queue features be changed for iTunes style player controls. So there goes the "customer is always right" theory.
Userlevel 1
This makes me sad.
Actually, it wasn't Sonos' who thought they knew better, it was a "large number of users" who requested for years that the queue features be changed for iTunes style player controls. So there goes the "customer is always right" theory.
It's not like there is only 1 type of customer and everyone has the same opinion... there can be several types of customers, all of which can be right, with their own needs. Not everyone uses Sonos for the same purpose (TV, bathroom, party...). Hence the proposition of several interface options to satisfy everyone.

Anyway, this debate about customer is right or not is probably endless.
I'm just disappointed with Sonos... and I can see that I'm not alone